User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2011, 05:20 PM   #1
4power OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
4/3 vs dslr

As of late I'm feeling my old Sony Cybershot may have it's limitations. I'm sort of leaning towards a 4/3 like the GF1 or the Nex5. At that price I'm into lower end dslr territory and they seem to be a bit more versatile. I'm by no means an experienced photographer but have had a smoldering love affair for years and am looking to grow a bit. I'm sure a few of you guys know a bit more about the subject than me, what do you think?
4power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 05:40 PM   #2
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 34,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4power View Post
As of late I'm feeling my old Sony Cybershot may have it's limitations. I'm sort of leaning towards a 4/3 like the GF1 or the Nex5. At that price I'm into lower end dslr territory and they seem to be a bit more versatile. I'm by no means an experienced photographer but have had a smoldering love affair for years and am looking to grow a bit. I'm sure a few of you guys know a bit more about the subject than me, what do you think?
4/3 is actually a DSLR standard Olympus and Panasonic use, micro 4/3 (m4/3) is what the GF1 uses, and as for an umbrella term to lump the NEX and others with it there isn't a good one yet mirrorless is what is being said but they need something catchier.

But to the things you actually care about....basically the sensors will be the same size of respective DSLR's, the GF1 actually uses the same sensor (there are some differences but I would be getting very technical) to my Olympus E-620 DSLR. The NEX-5 uses an APS-C sized sensor which is a little bigger and used in most of the Sony DSLR's.

Now I am going to throw a monkey wrench into your plans in that the JPEG engines from Sony and Panasonic are lacking meaning to get the most out of it you have to shoot RAW. Olympus is known for theirs so the EPL-2 which is very similar to the GF1 would be a good option if you want to focus taking the pictures mostly.

But here is the basic trade off/decision.

With a DSLR it is bigger but you have a huge array of lenses to choose from.

Mirrorless cameras are smaller but still new so the lens selection is still just a handful for each system.

If you plan to just have this be a step up from your point and shoot a mirrorless is a good option, if instead you want to have options for everything but the kitchen sink to put on the lens mount go for a DSLR.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:21 PM   #3
Rashnak
Lorem Ipsum

Oddometer: 9,696
if you are into video or smaller size/weight the m4/3 standard is the way to go. DLSR's are simply not very good at video yet without expensive workarounds.

But for still pictures the image quality will be better on a dlsr at the same price point.

As always, more $$=better
Rashnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:25 PM   #4
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,801
Just bought the Olympus e-pl1 from BB

So far liking it...but I know squat about cameras - I got it because it was better then a PAS and smaller then a DSLR
Old 05-21-2011, 09:19 PM   #5
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashnak View Post
if you are into video or smaller size/weight the m4/3 standard is the way to go. DLSR's are simply not very good at video yet without expensive workarounds.

But for still pictures the image quality will be better on a dlsr at the same price point.

As always, more $$=better
Except the GH2 (which is optimized for video) they are about the same for video with DSLR's. A benefit of DSLR's in this is they can mount a lot more lenses without an adapter.....those adapters (except for the larger version of that camera like 4/3 to m4/3) mean manual focus and aperture.

It's hard to write this out since there are so many small exceptions.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 05-21-2011, 09:33 PM   #6
Bongolia
stop acting

Oddometer: 16,091
I have a GF1 with a 20 mm lens.

The photo quality blows any of my old compacts into the weeds. It's small and relatively light and I can take it anywhere.

Only two drawbacks.

1: No viewfinder. I may get the separate viewfinder as framing in bright light can be hit and miss.

2: Jpegs can have an odd colour balance sometimes. RAW is very good however.

Mongol Rally 2014: www.teamvanvan.com
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=925019
Bongolia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:16 PM   #7
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,411
There's a certain satisfaction to composing a photo and hitting the shutter button, hearing a 'click' and knowing you just captured an image.

It is a bit mechanical, a bit antiquated, and not optimized for video. That said, it just. plain. works. The size penalty from 'mirrorless' to DSLR is erased once you get into telephoto or wideangle focal lengths. I'm not sold on it for an only system. If I had 4/3 hardware, a micro 4/3 camera might make sense as a compact add-on.

My $0.02. YMMV
Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:08 AM   #8
4power OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I don't really care about video. If I was into that I'd just buy a dedicated video camera, to me it's just a gimmicky add on. If I'm hearing you guys right, the mirrorless cameras are much better than a pas but are still a bit of a trade off. And even a lower end dslr will offer the same or better picture quality with more versatility. I still like the integrated view finder and yes there is something satisfying about hearing the click. The only thing I don't like is the size, not that the dslr's are huge but they aren't exactly stealthy either. I also keep asking myself how am I'm going to manage the camera on the bike, that may be fairly important.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:13 AM   #9
Bongolia
stop acting

There's a lovely 'click' with the GF1.
And the body is metal and is very high quality. And the 20 mm lens is sharp. It is a trade off though.

Love this photo from this blog:

http://craigmod.com/journal/gf1-fieldtest/

Bongolia screwed with this post 05-22-2011 at 06:16 AM
Old 05-22-2011, 05:08 AM   #10
4power OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I have to admit the I'm really drawn to the GF1 but I like having the built in viewfinder and the add on they have for it seems kind of cheesy. How's the shutter lag with the GF1? How does it handle action shots? Sort of feels like the which bike is best situation... you need more than just one.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:12 AM   #11
Bongolia
stop acting

Quote:
I have to admit the I'm really drawn to the GF1 but I like having the built in viewfinder and the add on they have for it seems kind of cheesy. How's the shutter lag with the GF1? How does it handle action shots? Sort of feels like the which bike is best situation... you need more than just one.

No lag, very fast AF, pin sharp. The build quality is something else.

The lack of a viewfinder does hamper fast framing for street or action photography though. The screen is good but the usual visibility problems in strong sunlight. I've had a fair few bum shots where the framing was cropped incorrectly.

I still love it though.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:38 AM   #12
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
I don't really care about video. If I was into that I'd just buy a dedicated video camera, to me it's just a gimmicky add on. If I'm hearing you guys right, the mirrorless cameras are much better than a pas but are still a bit of a trade off. And even a lower end dslr will offer the same or better picture quality with more versatility. I still like the integrated view finder and yes there is something satisfying about hearing the click. The only thing I don't like is the size, not that the dslr's are huge but they aren't exactly stealthy either. I also keep asking myself how am I'm going to manage the camera on the bike, that may be fairly important.
They use basically the same sensors, with mirrorless you get the smaller form factor, with a DSLR more lens choices.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:53 AM   #13
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,499
I got an Olympus E-P2 a little over a year ago, which is a Micro 4/3 format camera. I'm not a terribly experienced photographer, but wanted something akin to a DSLR but smaller. I have several lenses, but as NikonsAndStroms states, they are somewhat few and far between although that is getting better as the format seems to be catching on.

I have found that I actually take this camera with me and use it more than I would a larger machine. It's not as handy as a pocket P&S, but with a pancake lens it's pretty compact, and the picture quality is better. Does decent videos too.

Hard cases make bad law.

HardCase screwed with this post 05-23-2011 at 09:47 AM
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:22 AM   #14
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,020
Quote:
If your experience has been primarily an old powershot, I think these new mirrorless cameras would give you a great next step, & might ultimately be what you're happiest with.

The size-conversation is something that could last for days. IMO, it's a HUGE part of the consumer camera purchase decision making process. So, because of that...it does make sense to talk about the size penalty for going dslr vs. Mirrorless or compact. It's HUGE (no offense, Grainbelt). And by that, I'm not referring to the actual size difference. I'm talking about the fact that the mirrorless body sits juuuuust inside my "convenient-carry" threshold, whereas the smallest of the DSLRs fit juuuuust outside of that threshold. It's like the difference between being the last person to make it onto the boat & the very next person. That comment is with respect to what most people compare between mirrorless vs. dslr--the body+lens comparison. If you compare the full kit...it's even more obvious.

Let's, for a second, take a look at just the body+lens comparison. The pieces that you have stuck up to your eye at any one moment might arguably be similiarly sized. But consider this. When I want to roll lightweight with my e-p1. I can stuff the body in the back pocket of my jeans, and pocket the 14-42mm zoom lens or my 9-18mm wide angle zoom, or a prime in my front pocket. It's obviously not as "at-the-ready" as if I had the lens mounted. But whatever--I've got a camera on me & a damn good one at that. They're small enough & light enough where I'm perfectly comfortable doing that, wearing jeans. A good friend of mine has THE SMALLEST commercially available DSLR ever...the Oly e-420. Guess what...it doesn't fit in my pant pocket...not even close.

Now, step back and consider the whole kit, and count up the volumes for each of the lenses...that's where m4/3 mirrorless really shines, because not only are they generally shorter--they generally have smaller diameters too--most dramatically with the wide-angle focal lengths. If you do the math it looks like this:

The bottom line was that if you wanted to cover 35mmm focal lengths from 14mm equivalent to 400mm equivalent with standard zoom offerings (and "consumer-level aperture ranges) + one carry-around pancake, you're looking at a mirrorless kit that is at a minimum nearly 40% smaller than it's *smallest* dslr brethren.

What's more...since the e-p1's lenses are so effin light...I don't even keep them in a camera bag--no foam padding...no "shoebox" shaped bag to carry around. If I feel ambitious and want to carry around my full kit, I throw three lenses, a flash, a gorilla pod & a body into the side pocket of a messenger bag...done.

Am I missing out on anything by going mirrorless? Yes...your "hit rate" with action shots go down. But it's not impossible. You just have to adjust how you do things. In fact, if you're going from P&S to DSLR you'll notice your hit rate on action shots going down anyways, bcs the DoF you're used to getting w/ your P&S is way way narrower on these larger sensors, so regardless of mirrorless or classic dslr...you're going to need to do some learning & adjusting in that respect. That, imo, is the only way in which the mirrorless options fall short. The viewfinder blackout is longer than the mirror blackout associated with dslr ovf's. And its image latency is just the slightest few miliseconds slower than the immediacy of an Optical viewfinder. It's a manageable trait, imo. As they continue to speed up the imaging pipeline, that margin of difference will continue to get smaller. But that's a conversation to have with future generations of mirrorless.

With respect to the selection of lenses available...if your intent is to own super-high-grade constant-aperture pro lenses, then yes...mirrorless cameras are currently lacking. That is to say, no mirrorless manufacturer product manager is stupid enough to spend millions of yen rolling out a 24-100mm f/2.8 equivalent zoom lens that weighs 2 pounds & fits on the body like 10 lbs of potatos in an 8 lb sack, when the pro market already thinks of mirrorless as a decidedly consumer-oriented option. That's just retarded. And it might be exactly what I want, but I recognize that it'll be quite a few years before the market is ready for such a beast. They've rolled out *sensible* lens options covering *almost* everything you'd need for just about every kind of subject. The issue isn't a lack of lens options. The issue is (for me) is that the lenses are pricey for their class. But such is the nature of new standards. It takes time for innovation to settle down.

DriveShaft screwed with this post 05-23-2011 at 09:35 AM
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:36 AM   #15
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
The bottom line was that if you wanted to cover 35mmm focal lengths from 14mm equivalent to 400mm equivalent with standard zoom offerings (and "consumer-level aperture ranges) + one carry-around pancake, you're looking at a mirrorless kit that is at a minimum nearly 40% smaller than it's *smallest* dslr brethren.
Your size spreadsheet is well thought out and demonstrates the differences in one area of the discussion basis a fairly tight set of uses and apertures.

I never carry cameras in my pockets, I have at a minimum a tank bag on the bike and a messenger/laptop bag on me around town. The viewfinder, external controls, lens selection, and wireless flash control make the DSLR a better system for me. You could make the m4/3 cameras the size of a credit card and they'd still be a second camera for me.

Point being, everyone's needs vary. The OP might not know what their needs are at this point, so it is good to discuss all facets of the choice, not only size.
Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: