User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2011, 06:41 AM   #31
Bongolia
stop acting

Oddometer: 16,632
I have the GF1 with the 20 mm F 1.7.

I'd like a wide angle for architectural composition, can any of you gurus advise?
Old 05-24-2011, 06:47 AM   #32
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongolia View Post
I have the GF1 with the 20 mm F 1.7.

I'd like a wide angle for architectural composition, can any of you gurus advise?
Panasonic makes a 7-14 f/4.0 which has gotten great reviews. It isn't inexpensive, costs about a grand. If I were looking for a m4/3 wide angle, that'd be the way I'd go.

Edit: Olympus makes a 9-18 lens which is less expensive, and has also gotten good reviews.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:52 AM   #33
Bongolia
stop acting

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
Panasonic makes a 7-14 f/4.0 which has gotten great reviews. It isn't inexpensive, costs about a grand. If I were looking for a m4/3 wide angle, that'd be the way I'd go.

Edit: Olympus makes a 9-18 lens which is less expensive, and has also gotten good reviews.
Thanks, I've looked at that but it is pricey for occasional use.

I'm wondering if an older lens and an adaptor could be used?
Old 05-24-2011, 06:56 AM   #34
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashnak View Post
i like how you frame the debate in terms of iso range.

but can't you also get back some of that range with low f lenses?

For example- stick a Nokton 25mm f0.95 lens on a GH2 and you get perfectly usable night shots.

Absolutely. when it comes to image quality traits, it's all a game of finding the right combination of parameters to keep within the camera's performance envelope. Trade a stop of shutterspeed for a stop of sensitivity, etc. Having a brighter f/stop lens just buys you that much more latitude.

You don't need f/.95 to be capable of decent low-light performance. It's pretty dramatic, though, isn't it! Everyone raves about the 20mm f/1.7 option. My 25mm f/1.4 is also pretty impressive too and gives me autofocus & aperture control integration. The auto-focus on Oly's m4/3 bodies--clunky, but it works. They're releasing a m4/3 version of the summilux lens soon, which will sell like hotcakes if you've got the coin.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:57 AM   #35
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:

This is where I'll leave you to DriveShaft and NikonsAndStroms for your answers. I'm curious too. Since the focal length on m4/3 is less (or maybe I'm using the wrong terminology here.....a 20mm m4/3 lens is equivalent to a 40mm DSLR/SLR lens), and since I've no experience using 'standard' lenses with an adaptor on this camera, I am wondering whether a 50mm DSLR lens on an adaptor becomes, in essence, the equivalent of a 100mm when mounted on a m4/3 body? If so, a standard wide-angle would not be much of a wide angle on a m4/3, but I confess utter cluelessness as to how that all works in the real world.

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:21 AM   #36
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

With an architectural subject, imo, the m.zuiko 9-18mm m4/3 lens previously mentioned is the best choice. It's ridiculously compact too, & allows you to use screw-on filters, which is a plus, imo.

The 2nd obvious choice is the original 4/3rds version of that--the ZD 9-18mm. Bigger & notPDAF optimized. Not that much cheaper if you buy new. But you can probably find one relatively cheap on the used market.

Again, if you're talking about architectural subjects...they're amongst the most patient subjects on earth! So, even an old & cheap manual ultra-wide-angle would work, bcs the theory is that you have all the time in the world to get the focus & aperture settings dialed in.

But here's a little caveat...hardcase is right, old SLR lenses were bulit to cast onto a 35mm full frame image circle. So, a well-corrected wide-angle lens of a 21mm spec translates to 42mm on a 4/3rds sensor's image circle--that's not a wide-angle lens anymore. So, then to get a truly wide-angle perspective, you have to hunt down an "ultra wide angle" lens...which are usually fisheye. For an architectural subject, that's going to render all your straight lines quite curvilinear. You could "de-fish" manually in post processing...but what's the fun in that?
Old 05-24-2011, 07:51 AM   #37
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
But here's a little caveat...hardcase is right, old SLR lenses were bulit to cast onto a 35mm full frame image circle. So, a well-corrected wide-angle lens of a 21mm spec translates to 42mm on a 4/3rds sensor's image circle--that's not a wide-angle lens anymore. So, then to get a truly wide-angle perspective, you have to hunt down an "ultra wide angle" lens...which are usually fisheye. For an architectural subject, that's going to render all your straight lines quite curvilinear. You could "de-fish" manually in post processing...but what's the fun in that?
That's kinda what I thought. So I guess a guy who might have some old lenses but who is into or thinking about getting into a m4/3 camera might be better advised to focus his resources on the wide-angle end of the lens spectrum in the new format, eh? Old lenses become 'telephoto' quite nicely, are basically doubled, so a 200mm SLR lens is suddenly a 400mm on the new equipment.

Here's a somewhat related question. Does, say, an f/1.4 50 prime DSLR lens remain a functional f/1.4 on a m4/3 camera with an adaptor, where the functional focal-length is now 100, or are the light-gathering properties of the lens altered in some respect? Forgive my moran-like questions.

Hard cases make bad law.

HardCase screwed with this post 05-24-2011 at 07:57 AM
Old 05-24-2011, 07:54 AM   #38
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
... , just had a couple of cheap P&S cameras in the past 15 or 20 years, so finally decided to go a little better approx. 18 months ago, didn't want to go whole-hog but wanted something that was decent, but also not as bulky as a full-sized DSLR, and that's how I ended up with the E-P2.
that's how my sis ended up w/ the e-p2 too. It's a great little camera, and personally, my favorite of the current breed of mirrorless cameras. She's had my 20mm for the past 6 months. I'm not entirely sure I'm getting that one back.

Quote:
Soon after acquiring the camera, I bought a fairly inexpensive Panasonic 45-200 lens which I find I don't use all that much, and a somewhat expensive Panasonic/Leica 45 macro lens which I really like and use a lot.
When Staples was having a sale on them, I picked up the m.zuiko 40-150mm--pretty close to your 45-200 lens. They're great for well-lit scenes, which pretty much means outdoor shots & shots with flash. A bit limiting indoors w/o flash.

The leica macro is a gorgeous lens! It's specs are really tailored to macro. You can use it as a portrait telephoto in a pinch. But its focusing motor is optimized for macro precision...not snappy speed. & its aperture range caters to macro too--scenarios where you typically want to *avoid* shallow depth of field. If I ever sell my dslr's 50mm macro, I'm picking one of these up for sure.

Quote:
I think I saw that there's a 100-300 tele out there for the m4/3 which I'm thinking would be a nice lens, but think I'm pretty well covered for my purposes for now. But I'm hoping that this format really catches on and lots more lenses become available over time. I also wish that they'd make a decent and versatile flash unit that was scaled down to be more compatible with the compact size of the m4/3.
If you've already got the 45-200, you're right--there's little reason to get the 100-300, unless you're into things like birding, or wildlife shots...maybe ourdoor sports...or a fascination w/ moon shots. . That's a hell of alot of reach at the 300mm end, so you can pretty much expect to get good hit rates on a tripod.

Flash photography is where I'm spending alot of my energy learning. I'm aiming to pick up some off-camera lighting equipment so I can tweak around and play w/ various setups.

The compact flash options are a tough call. When it comes to flash...it's hard to avoid the limitations of small form factors. Reach & recycle characteristics really take a hit w/ 3v platforms. Plus the fact that rarely do they design in a good bounce capability on the small form factor options. I picked up the FL-14, which fits in my pocket. But it's pretty limited to just flash fill duty. I rarely even take it with me. I've acquiesed to the notion that flash *should* be big.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:43 AM   #39
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
that's how my sis ended up w/ the e-p2 too. It's a great little camera, and personally, my favorite of the current breed of mirrorless cameras. She's had my 20mm for the past 6 months. I'm not entirely sure I'm getting that one back.

When Staples was having a sale on them, I picked up the m.zuiko 40-150mm--pretty close to your 45-200 lens. They're great for well-lit scenes, which pretty much means outdoor shots & shots with flash. A bit limiting indoors w/o flash.

The leica macro is a gorgeous lens! It's specs are really tailored to macro. You can use it as a portrait telephoto in a pinch. But its focusing motor is optimized for macro precision...not snappy speed. & its aperture range caters to macro too--scenarios where you typically want to *avoid* shallow depth of field. If I ever sell my dslr's 50mm macro, I'm picking one of these up for sure.

If you've already got the 45-200, you're right--there's little reason to get the 100-300, unless you're into things like birding, or wildlife shots...maybe ourdoor sports...or a fascination w/ moon shots. . That's a hell of alot of reach at the 300mm end, so you can pretty much expect to get good hit rates on a tripod.

Flash photography is where I'm spending alot of my energy learning. I'm aiming to pick up some off-camera lighting equipment so I can tweak around and play w/ various setups.

The compact flash options are a tough call. When it comes to flash...it's hard to avoid the limitations of small form factors. Reach & recycle characteristics really take a hit w/ 3v platforms. Plus the fact that rarely do they design in a good bounce capability on the small form factor options. I picked up the FL-14, which fits in my pocket. But it's pretty limited to just flash fill duty. I rarely even take it with me. I've acquiesed to the notion that flash *should* be big.
Yup, the 45-200 lens is at its best outdoors in bright light. I used it some last summer when my girlfriend was playing on a softball team, got some decent action pics of her on the field. I didn't use a tripod, just hand-held it, but the light was bright enough that I was able to use high shutter speeds and do okay. The macro is exactly as you say.

I bought one of the little inexpensive (well, relatively speaking) Olympus FL-14 flashes made for the E-P1 and 2, but it's pretty basic, no bounce, low power, but at least it's compact. I find that I rarely use it.

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:07 PM   #40
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Here's a somewhat related question. Does, say, an f/1.4 50 prime DSLR lens remain a functional f/1.4 on a m4/3 camera with an adaptor, where the functional focal-length is now 100, or are the light-gathering properties of the lens altered in some respect? Forgive my moran-like questions.
There are several ways to think about what an f/1.4 behaves like when casting onto an image circle with half the length & width dimensions. Usually, when some guy argues the "differences," the perspective he takes will say more about himself and his priorities than it does about the lens.

But in-arguably, in terms of exposure, an f/1.4 lens lets in the same amount of photonic light density it normally would per unit of sensor area, per second, if you maintained its intended operating distance from the focal plane. Therefore, its exposure characteristics do not change.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:59 AM   #41
Bongolia
stop acting

Thanks for the feedback Guys.

The m.zuiko 9-18mm m4/3 lens looks good.

I'm also thinking of the Panasonic 14 mm f/2.5, and apparently Olympus are rolling out a 12mm f/2.0 in June.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:36 PM   #42
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:

I'm also thinking of the Panasonic 14 mm f/2.5, and apparently Olympus are rolling out a 12mm f/2.0 in June.
I just checked Amazon and you can get the m.zuiko 9-18 for $575, which is a whole lot less money than the Panasonic 7-14, and you'd not be giving much up to the Panasonic from what I've read. The Panasonic 14 f/2.5 is currently priced at $349, but if it were me I think I'd spend the extra $ to get the added versatility of the variable, although the enhanced light-gathering abilities of the fixed power would be tempting. Let us know what you end up with and how you like it.

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:38 PM   #43
HardCase
winter is coming

I went to an indoor musical concert on Sunday (my son is a member of several musical groups) where flash photography was discouraged. I was wishing I had my recently ordered Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 lens, but it hadn't arrived yet. What I ended up doing was taking a bunch of pics with my 45-200, hand-held and in pretty low light, and some of them came out great. It wasn't an ideal situation or lens, but it still worked out okay. I like the size of the E-P2 for this sort of thing.

Oh, and the 20mm f/1.7 arrived via FedEx today! I can't wait to go try it out.

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:03 PM   #44
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,946
Quote:

I have the full size 9-18 and love it, so if they are close I'd go for it.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:05 PM   #45
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,946
Quote:
I went to an indoor musical concert on Sunday (my son is a member of several musical groups) where flash photography was discouraged. I was wishing I had my recently ordered Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 lens, but it hadn't arrived yet. What I ended up doing was taking a bunch of pics with my 45-200, hand-held and in pretty low light, and some of them came out great. It wasn't an ideal situation or lens, but it still worked out okay. I like the size of the E-P2 for this sort of thing.

Oh, and the 20mm f/1.7 arrived via FedEx today! I can't wait to go try it out.
If you don't have lightroom 3 look into it, it does magic with that sensor making ISO 800 images perfect and 1600 only have the slightest hint of grain.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: