b0mb3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:00 AM   #812
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0mb3r View Post
does anyone know the difference between them ... softer?? or what
I'm guessing the Dakar would be harder compound, that's the way it is with the E09. The standard E09 had a very soft wall, where the Dakar version is much stiffer.

Although I'd try a E07 Dakar, I can't really see the use of them for most people as they work and wear well just as they are. I have heard that the rear E07 is popular with intercontinental travellers and having a harder wearing tire could be an advantage.

Remember, the current E07 is a softer compound than previous ones due to the older model cracking between the treads, (which they still do to a lesser degree). Having a harder compound could only make things worse.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:17 AM   #813
b0mb3r
Old Git

Oddometer: 1,777
Cheers geeza

White pig

b0mb3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:23 AM   #814
gsd4me
90% bluff

If you want to fit them to your 1200GS, Ray Peake can supply, fit and balance. He can also tell you if the 07 Dakar is available in Oz.

07 5543 5962 or rjbmw@bikerider.com

Old 10-11-2013, 05:18 PM   #815
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,221
Yep, the new ones are softer and , I think, a bit more rounded.

The old ones worked fine for me, but the new ones stick better than anything else I've tried on the G/S.

Downside is that at 11,000 km they dont have a lot left, compared with 15,000 km for the old ones.

Still, it beats the 4500km I was getting from the Scorpion A/T's and 6000 out of the Distanzas.

Only problem in Adelaide is getting them at list , best I can do is $42- more , cash only, deposit paid before they will order them, and fitted to loose wheels, from R&R.

I now know what GC stands for - Grasping c - nts!

Garage MCs at Strath still sell at list , but wont get Mitas for me , so I will put a set of Annakee 3 s on the Funduro for less than most want for the E07 s.
Given that the E07s have been around, as Barums, for over 40 years it will be nice to see if / how technology has moved along, but I am not holding my breath, as Mitas probably make the A3s too!
Old 10-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #816
gsd4me
90% bluff

I thought the Mitas importer was committed to having these tyres sell at a reasonable price. I'd be contacting them to see if they will ship direct to you at retail plus freight.

If you go back through this thread you will find contact details.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:49 AM   #817
Rangie83
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Laugh E07 Prices

I just got a set of std E07's for my 1150GS last week for $340, was from a bike dealer I used to work at and therefore get good rates but I often get Mitas and Pirelli tyres for mates nice and cheap.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:21 PM   #818
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerboff View Post
Given that the E07s have been around, as Barums, for over 40 years it will be nice to see if / how technology has moved along, but I am not holding my breath, as Mitas probably make the A3s too!
Just an internet rumour that I thought was the case too. Barum is still about and unrelated to Mitas, which is related to Michelin, the 'Mi' bit.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:39 PM   #819
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

Mitas probably made them for Barum - but I have no personal experience of what was around 40 years ago, it was a bike mechanic old enough to have been JB's race mechanic who identified them as Barums.

Barum used to sell FIM control tires for speedway too, and Mitas are in that market today, which also made me think there was some link.

They also make tires for, among others, Michelin and Continental, and if you have a good look at a few of the European boutique brands most have something that looks remarkably close to a E07 , particularly the rear..

I used to have an account with Mitas Oz, before they had distributors in SA, but when a few dealers started listing them I was advised to use the dealers.

And FWIW the old Annekey was just an old T66 carcase with a different tread and compound, and the T66 was around before the Barum.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:49 PM   #820
Bulldust
Bulldust

Oddometer: 807
MITAS Praha was established in 1933 in Prague-Strašnice as a subsidiary of Michelin. Michelin held a 75% interest, while the rest was held by Czechoslovak banks. Michelin had been attracted to Prague by the skilled manpower, which had became available owing to the economic recession. The new plant gradually increased the number of Czech employees up to 250. They made tires and tubes for cars, motorcycles and bikes. Production in the plant reached its peak in 1937, making about 300 car and motorcycle tires and almost 100 bike tires (and tubes) a day.
During the war the plant was seized by Harburger Phîix, which focused on military production including, first of all, the hard rubber coating of metal parts. When the German management hastily left the plant in May 1945, the plant gradually returned to a civil product range and later on it was nationalised. In spring 1946 it was re-named to Pneumichelin, n.p. Praha. At the turn of the years 1946/1947, a contest was launched to find a new name for the plant. MITAS was the winning proposal, combing the words MIchelin and VeriTAS. Veritas, located at Hrádek nad Nisou, had been making rubber tires for pram wheels and had been included in the Michelin group in 1946. The brand name MITAS has been used since summer 1947.
New machines and equipment were gradually installed and commissioned during 1949-1952. Preparations for extending the production of medium to heavy truck tires continued simultaneously. The bicycle tire unit was spun off under Rubena Náchod. The passenger car tire production unit in Prague was closed in 1957 and in 1958 the plant was transferred to the newly created company, České závody gumárenské, which also covered Rubena Náchod and Gumokov Hradec Králové. By 1967, when an extensive restructuring of the company was completed, the company had won a good position among the leading European rubber companies. Later the company also introduced the production of tires for construction machinery. In March 1985, a fire destroyed the factory s most important part the rubber mixing plant. Two years later a new automated mixing plant began being built and was fully commissioned in 1993. Meanwhile the company became a national enterprise and, later, a joint-stock company.
The tradition of tire production in the current MITAS production unit in Zlín was established by Tomáš Baťa early in the 1930s. Equipment was delivered from abroad to Zlín in Jauary 1932 and in April the first 32x6 tire was moulded there. A year later Baťa built a tire plant in Zlín, which made 68,000 tires of 43 sizes in the second half of 1934. In 1935 the plant doubled its output and the Baťa tires were mounted on all Czech cars a situation not favouring the import of tires from abroad. In 1939 Baťa made 250 thousand tires annually and introduced also the production of V-belts, conveyer belts and technical rubber.
In 1945, the Baťa company was nationalised and in 1949 it was renamed to Svit. The production of tires was separated in 1953 to establish a separate company, named Rudý Šíjen (Red October). In 1967 the Zlín plant produced the first passenger-car radial tire and five years later a large new plant for tire production was opened at Otrokovice near Zlín.
A new joint-stock company, Barum Holding, was established in 1991 with participation of MITAS Praha, the Czech Ministry of Industry, Barum Otrokovice, OP Barum Zlín, and Motokov Praha. Several years later Continental acquired a majority interest in the Otrokovice tire plant, whereas the Zlín tire plant, named Barumtech (later renamed to Beltyr) remained under the Barum Holding. Česká gumárenská společnost gradually developed from Barum Holding, whereas MITAS Praha merged with Beltyr Zlín to form a new single entity. An extensive restructuring programme (MITAS 2004) has been under way in MITAS for the fourth year now as one of the few companies in the Czech Republic, MITAS was awarded investment incentives from the Czech government for that programme. In 2002, MITAS launched the production of radial tires for tractors and MPT radial tires of the all-steel type.
Another important milestone there was the year 2004. On October 1, 2004 the representatives of the ČGS a.s. and the representatives of the Continental concern have signed performance contracts to the „Basic agreement on purchase and sale“ from May 26, 2004 which accomplished the first phase of transferring the AGRO business unit from Continental concern into the group of the Czech Rubber Society (ČGS). In this first stage, complete manufacture in Otrokovice (about 500 employees) has been transferred to the ČGS as well as the first (Mexican) from the eight foreign branches. The other foreign business companies (USA, Austria, Germany, Italy, France, Spain, Great Britain) and the head office of the AGRO division in Hannover have been transferred to ČGS on November 1, 2004. In 2005 a foreign branch has been established in Switzerland. With the effect from October 1, 2004, the MITAS company has acquired the right to use the trademarks Continental, Semperit and Euzkadi for agricultural tires,. In this way, the ČGS has significantly strenghtened again its long term strategy, in which it is aiming at the development, manufacture and sale of the off-road tires , in particular, agricultural tires.
Bulldust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:52 AM   #821
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

I have been doing a bit checking on the problem with pricing on Mitas tires, and it seems that the problem might not always be the dealer.

According to a guy who used to do them but no longer does, Mitas brought in a minimum $75- shipping cost for dealers, for up to four sets of tires. It was $25- a set , and that is in the list price.

So no problem if you want to keep stock on the shelf, if you sell enough to order three sets at a time, or if your customer is happy to wait two or three weeks till you have an order for 3 sets.

But a prick if someone wants a set reasonably quickly , and wants a price first - to cover himself the dealer has to include the full shipping cost in the quote.

Which might explain the list plus $50- quotes from dealers with no stock.
But not the plus $100- from the guy with stock-----.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #822
MadM
Dreamer

Oddometer: 212
Mitas C17

Hey!

Today I went to a mechanic to change the tyres, I reminded him several times to make sure of the direction of the tyre he managed to mess it up at the front tyre. I mounted a Mitas C17 up front and E09 on the rear. How can this affect tyre behaviour and life?

Thanks for your help!
MadM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:45 AM   #823
c-m
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Surprised there's so many people after these at this time of the year (at least in the northern hemisphere). Mitas tyres don't seem to have a good reputation for wet, damp, clod weather riding.
c-m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:34 AM   #824
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

Just rode the current, softer E07S right through a wet, by Oz standards winter, mainly on bumpy, slippery second rate, uncoated spray seal, and no problem with wet, or dry, grip.

Best gripping tire I have had on the G/S.

Full stop.

And all that was on cold tires

I ride with 28F/32 rear and even after a good thrashing the front is hardly warm, and the back just a little warmer.
Nice even wear all the way round on the front too, no flat spot or scalloping.

Heat makes little if any difference to the grip an road tires - no manufacturer has ever recommenced that you warm a road tire up before using it - but the wankerati confuse them with race tires which are designed to have prodigious grip at elevated tread temperatures.
For a 60 km race distance, sometimes.

The heat in race tires is generated mainly by deflection in the tread rubber itself, not by deflection in the sidewall, as too much heat in the sidewall destroys it, think gators from truck tires.

If race tires go off at the end of a race it is not because they are overheated, it is because they are too cold, as the thinner rubber does not deflect enough to generate sufficient heat in the tread.

But there are some poor misguided folk who run their road tires far to soft, to "get some heat into the tread" which doesn't actually need heat to work anyway, and damages the sidewall long before it warms the tread up.

And then they complain about the tires.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:33 AM   #825
gsd4me
90% bluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerboff View Post
wankerati

Great word, must remember it.