Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2011, 03:07 AM   #76
Big Willy
two dementional

Oddometer: 2,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcycletyres AU View Post
Hi everyone, just letting you all know that the 150/70B18 and 90/90B21 E-10 have landed in Melbourne. RRP is $259 and $189 respectively, available Australia-wide through your local friendly bike shop.

I'd like to address a couple of points if I may. Firstly, I can't add much to Mitas' excellent technical posts regarding compounds, but I would like to highlight the fact that the E-10 is a very different beast to the E-07/8/9 on a much deeper level than that. Beneath tread patterns and rubber recipes is the fundamental construction of the tyre, and that is where the E-10 is light years ahead. It's belted-bias carcass, at least theoretically, is far better suited for transmitting large amounts of power to a wide range of surfaces. It offers, again theoretically, the sidewall strength and all-round toughness of a crossply, but with the greater flexion, traction and stability of a radial tyre.

I say 'theoretically' because it is for you guys to decide whether these characteristics actually translate to the real world. We love the Dakars, and all the stories we hear of groups of people riding thousands of outback kilometres without a single puncture between them. But we also know that if we were riding powerful bikes, heavily loaded, at high speeds, over variable terrain, then we'd probably want to be on E-10s. There is a lot more to a tyre than 'kilometres-per-dollar of wear'.

The other point I'd like to make is regarding distribution. We've worked really hard to make Mitas tyres more accessible through regular retail channels. As many of you know, we used to sell directly. The problem was that we simply couldn't offer all the advice and service that was being asked of us, and half of the tyres were being taken to dealers for fitting anyway. More recently we have taken to referring all sales directly to dealers and subsidising freight so that every bike shop pays the same low cost. We now have over 700 dealers, in every state and territory across Australia. It is no secret that some are more helpful/friendly/greedy than others, but if your regular bloke won't get you Mitas tyres at a fair deal drop us a line and we'll line you up with someone who will. If you just want cheap internet rubber there are other brands for that.
I think basically we all want a tyre that gives good value for money.

Value basically means grip and wear for a good price, which was where Mitas excelled before, if you didn't include wet weather handling .
Old 06-27-2011, 03:47 AM   #77
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Willy View Post
I think basically we all want a tyre that gives good value for money.
That's exactly how I feel. I want a tyre that has OK grip, doesn't have to be great just good enough, and is good value for money.

If my tyre isn't so grippy, I'll adjust my riding to match that. But if the tyre wears out too fast or is really expensive then I won't buy it.

Extra bonus points for sure if it has great grip, but I'm not willing to hurt my wallet to achieve that goal.

At the moment I use C-02 off road and a bit on road, and Pirelli Scorpion A/T on road and a bit off road (note: these might as well be racing slicks in mud ). I think I'll give some E-09's a go for my road tyres next time, but am pretty happy with those scorpions.

On the front I use whatever's in the shed, as I have about two year's worth that I acquired dirt cheap a while back.

abhibeckert screwed with this post 06-27-2011 at 03:56 AM
abhibeckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:51 AM   #78
Mitas
caretaker

Oddometer: 283
. . . *note* ....

what if we are adding more wet grip ?
The value is better .... isnīt it ?

Where does "expencieve" start ?
Old 06-27-2011, 03:57 AM   #79
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitas View Post
. . . *note* ....

what if we are adding more wet grip ?
The value is better .... isnīt it ?

Where does "expencieve" start ?
When it's wet, i ride with such a big safety margin that grip really doesn't matter much. I'm usually too cold/uncomfortable to care, and asking myself over and over why I didn't take the Ute to work, so I don't bother riding at 100% (my commute to work twice a week is 20 minutes of city traffic, 20 minutes of twisties, and 40 minutes rural highway).

And after riding in gravel, I'm not too worried when the tyres slide around a bit on a sealed road in the wet.

abhibeckert screwed with this post 06-27-2011 at 04:02 AM
abhibeckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:11 AM   #80
Mitas
caretaker

Good attitude !

Itīs not so fare away from the optimum...

But itīs clear... if there is a possibility to increase the safety even with the characteristic of the tires...

It canīt be wrong
Old 06-27-2011, 09:14 PM   #81
motorcycletyres AU
Motorcycletyres Pty Ltd

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzimike View Post
Can you tell us how many of these actually stock your tyres? (As opposed to "ordering them in" with a sigh)
Great tyres but.
Very few, I can't deny it. Probably less than 50 at this stage, and many of those would only carry a couple of the more common Stonekings for example. But that's a lot more than it was even a year ago. If you give me your location I'll do my best to point you to one of our more supportive dealers.

It is not easy to get a tyre dealer to carry your stock. There are a handful of 'big' name brands that constantly threaten to withdraw supply unless certain sales volumes and floor stock levels are met. A small dealer can only have so many dollars tied up in rubber.

We don't mind the challenge though. Mitas make bloody good tyres in our opinion and we do our best to carry a large stock in Melbourne and to make it easy for dealers to get them. It is VERY rare for us to be unable to supply a tyre. More and more dealers are adding an extra tyre or two for stock and as more riders ask for them we expect those levels will continue to increase.

So just stick to your guns, if you want a Mitas tyre don't let them sell you anything else, and we'll continue to plug away at it from this end.
motorcycletyres AU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:26 PM   #82
lout
AYCIC

Oddometer: 736
why don't you just fuck the dealers off....it's just another complication and level that adds cost and time. they don't do you or me any favours.

You have a great product let down by very substandard dealer support.

TASMANIA - Explore the corruption.

Orange paint and 37 clicks of suspension adjustment doesn't make up for being a shit rider :j Mo

It's not that I don't believe in God..I just believe in one less God than you.

Monsanto - The evil that keeps on growing
lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:44 PM   #83
jamesp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
+1 it doesn't make sense.

Earlier you said people bought the tyres direct, but then 1/2 were fitted by dealers anyway. Now you don't sell direct, & admit that most of your dealers don't carry stock. I guess the dealers didn't have much incentive to stock Mitas when they were so easy for customers to buy direct (?).
Tough for you to find the right balance...

I recently tried to get some Mitas tyres but couldn't get them despite calling the local guy in advance to check whether they had any.

Anyway, the real Mitas info in this thread is really valuable so lets not turn it into another whinge fest thread about dealers. I'm glad Mitas are coming out with new sizes & will definitely be trying to get some in the future.
jamesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:47 PM   #84
lentil
All round nice guy

Oddometer: 7,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrack bob View Post
I'm loving the EO7 on the Ten 12, 5000ks so far and maybe half worn. Had a TKC fitted from new, but have found no terrain that the TKC has an advantage over the EO7, and I've done some pretty shitty stuff!

are the Super Tens an 18?

I cant wait for the E-07 in big size for the DL

Apple fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
It's the classic freudian slip... "come out of the closet, and jump into the jaccuzzi with the rest of us..."
lentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:30 PM   #85
Phil_Fong
Labelled Extremist

Oddometer: 12,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentil View Post
are the Super Tens an 18?

I cant wait for the E-07 in big size for the DL

Ive got my first E-07 on now.

Over the weekend I did the Torrens Track solo and unsupported.

I found out the hard way that an E-07 is fucking useless in sand.

Phil_Fong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:34 AM   #86
Mitas
caretaker

SCNR
in comparison to a slick .... you found a tire with a hell of traction.. .
Old 06-28-2011, 12:44 AM   #87
cams
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrack bob View Post
I'm loving the EO7 on the Ten 12, 5000ks so far and maybe half worn. Had a TKC fitted from new, but have found no terrain that the TKC has an advantage over the EO7, and I've done some pretty shitty stuff!
hi there, just wondering what size is e07 are you using ? and if it is a 150/70/17 could you tell me where you got it ?
Old 06-28-2011, 12:47 AM   #88
BROTOWNBOY
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Date stamp on my E10 appears to be 1010
BROTOWNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:04 AM   #89
Mitas
caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROTOWNBOY View Post
Date stamp on my E10 appears to be 1010
"old" construction with bloody compound ....
Old 06-28-2011, 01:09 AM   #90
sidetrack one
Boss STAG

Oddometer: 4,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by cams View Post
hi there, just wondering what size is e07 are you using ? and if it is a 150/70/17 could you tell me where you got it ?
Nah, its a 140, one size down on stock, but I've been running one size down on my BM 1150 forever and no probs, I'm sure Mitas will agree one size different is no biggie
sidetrack one is offline   Reply With Quote