Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2011, 05:56 AM   #106
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:
My 606's are made in Japan
Pretty sure my last one had "Thailand" stamped on it. Bought here in Aus. I'll go and find it in the daylight and double check. But I go through so many tyres I may be mistaken.

But even something as simple as this becomes an issue on a forum.

I can buy a D606 from the US for $50. (I'll find the link to the website later to satisfy those who would cross reference everything)

I pay $130 locally. (I'll scan the receipt if required)

That was the issue at hand. A simple question. Why?

No one has ever answered it when asked.

As a consumer, I'd like to know. The local importers all say it isn't their pricing that's doing it. So what IS doing it?

When a local bike mag did an article inspired by research I started, they said similar and a major supplier rang to threaten/intimidate/whine/cry about it. When asked what part of the article wasn't correct he couldn't/wouldn't comment.

He just threatened to pull advertising.

That says it all for me.

Mitas: I'll get pics of all the tyres and data on each as soon as I can. The info might help someone. There'll be those who would get another "30,000 miles" from them no doubt. There always are.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:11 AM   #107
Mitas
caretaker

Oddometer: 283
well ...
I can only speech for Europe.

In these times ... after the crisis ( or between 2 )people are angry about increasing tire prices. ( up to 40% )

What can I say ... ?
Every distributor has his own level of price... Hes free to calculate it.
Some of the dealers has his own favourites .... they keep the price low
Some of the dealers use the increasing prices to kick off articles from the list ... with higher prices as necessary.Customers demands didnt play any rule ...

( please note ... only valid for Europe)
Old 06-28-2011, 06:21 AM   #108
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
Pirelli Scorpion Trail on F800GS:

Cold tearing

after 2 up and loaded 50/50 dirt/tar road trip of 1200kms:

For the sort of riding I'm doing right now they aren't a bad tyre. I like the dry/wet tar grip. They do better than I thought on dirt roads, clay based gravel coated.

For what I want to do I'd like the E-07. As soon as the big ones are readily available here I'll try them.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:25 AM   #109
bull600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitas View Post
33 as well ( may it looks hard) .. dont go below 29...
Was wondering what pressure you recommend for the rear 130 x 17 E07?

Cheers
bull600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:38 AM   #110
Mitas
caretaker

@bull 600 .. try it .. give me feedback

@snowy... You are not a princess at the exit of a corner .. the wear is ok
Old 06-28-2011, 09:03 AM   #111
grogger123
fatbastard

Oddometer: 485
Hi Mitas,

I am keen to try the E09 Dakars front and rear on my DR650. Do you recommend pressures of 40 psi for front and rear on road? If not, what would you recommend? What pressures would you recommend for sand? I am happy with my local dealer and they are happy to get in whatever tyre I want.

Regards

Greg
grogger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:32 PM   #112
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcycletyres AU View Post
One good dealer that supports our tyres, stocks them, recommends them and sells them can eclipse all of our online sales. It's that clear. MOST riders don't buy tyres on the internet, MOST of them go into a dealer and ask for recommendations. However, if that one good dealer gets a couple of jokers go in and ask him to fit tyres they bought online (you might be surprised how many 'hardcore' online tyre buyers don't actually want to get their hands dirty), that dealer suddenly has a very different opinion of the distributor. You really don't want to be on the receiving end of those calls.
If a dealer bitches about being asked to fit a tyre, I think you should tell him to get ****ed. I'm regularly swapping my bike between road and dirt tyres, and my dealer is happy to change them for me when I'm too lazy. They should be happy to get any customers at all and should be able to make a decent profit from the tyre fitting fee.

They do free fitting if you buy the tyre off them, but they also give you a discount if you don't get them to fit the tyre.

I've always been lucky enough to live near a dealer with fair prices and competent staff, so this doesn't effect me. But I've had problems with local dealers in other industries, so know where people are coming from.

I understand you can't undercut your dealer's prices, but why not just pick a price they can easily match? It seems like selling your tyres direct to customers for about the same price a fair dealer would offer, is a great way to encourage dealers to provide good service and good prices.

That's good for you, and good for your customers, and good for dealers who are already doing the right thing. I don't have any sympathy for the bad dealers out there and would be glad to see them all shut down. No doubt if they shut down, good dealers will open up is their place.

I really think a company like Mitas should be putting the customer first, not the dealer first. Initially you might take a small hit from all the asshole dealers refusing to stock your tyres, but eventually word of mouth will bring the sales back up. Bike riders talk a lot about tyres, even more in person than on forums like this one.

By the way, for anyone who really wants to buy tyres online I'm pretty sure tyres for bikes in brisbane is happy to mail tyres anywhere in Aus. They stock Mitas tyres. Never asked myself but they're happy to send me other things I can't get in Cairns. Drop 'em an email and ask for a price.

abhibeckert screwed with this post 06-28-2011 at 03:45 PM
abhibeckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:54 PM   #113
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibeckert View Post
By the way, for anyone who really wants to buy tyres online I'm pretty sure tyres for bikes in brisbane is happy to mail tyres anywhere in Aus. They stock Mitas tyres. Never asked myself but they're happy to send me other things I can't get in Cairns. Drop 'em an email and ask for a price.
Yep they certainly will. They are certainly one of the customer focused dealers. Frankly I don't even bother to shop around on tyres anymore, I know Dave will deliver me the best deal that he can and goes out his way to help customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:24 PM   #114
lout
AYCIC

Oddometer: 769
Adventuremoto stocks Mitas too BUT for some strange reason the local distrubutor won't let them put them on the website.

TASMANIA - Explore the corruption.

Orange paint and 37 clicks of suspension adjustment doesn't make up for being a shit rider :j Mo

It's not that I don't believe in God..I just believe in one less God than you.

Monsanto - The evil that keeps on growing
lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:55 PM   #115
motorcycletyres AU
Motorcycletyres Pty Ltd

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrack bob View Post
I'm sure Mitas will agree one size different is no biggie
There is very little difference between a 150/70 and a 140/80, even theoretically. In fact theoretically, the 140 is the bigger tyre.

In real life some manufacturers might even use the same moulds, just with different plates installed.

Remember that motorcycle tyres don't really have a 'width' and 'height' like car tyres do.

motorcycletyres AU screwed with this post 06-28-2011 at 10:05 PM
motorcycletyres AU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:56 AM   #116
Rucksta
SS Blowhard

Oddometer: 2,658
Quote:

Remember that motorcycle tyres don't really have a 'width' and 'height' like car tyres do.
Tell me more.

I've sort of noticed this but always thought it just inconsistant measurment - like dress sizes.

Yes madam you really are a size 6
Old 06-29-2011, 01:05 AM   #117
Happy Snapper
GOMOB.

Oddometer: 2,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta View Post
Tell me more.

I've sort of noticed this but always thought it just inconsistant measurment - like dress sizes.

Hey RockStar... I am sure you're a 14 - 16 dress size!

Never trust atoms.... they make up everything!

Read my Blog: http://snapshotsfrommark.blogspot.com.au
Happy Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:09 AM   #118
jamesp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta View Post
Tell me more.

height is meant to be a ratio of the width.

eg 150 70 17 = 150mm wide, with the height being 70% of the width

130 80 = 130mm wide, height is 80% of the width

I don't know if these measurements are of:
1. carcass+knob height
2. just the carcess
or a mix of both??
jamesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:20 AM   #119
Mitas
caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogger123 View Post
Hi Mitas,

I am keen to try the E09 Dakars front and rear on my DR650. Do you recommend pressures of 40 psi for front and rear on road? If not, what would you recommend? What pressures would you recommend for sand? I am happy with my local dealer and they are happy to get in whatever tyre I want.

Regards

Greg
Hi Greg ,..
pressure is always in accordance to load and speed.

Did you miss grip in the sand ?

@jamesp...
measurements in acc to the ECE-75 and DOT.

- after a 24h drumm run
- 2/3 of the diameter
- sidewall only
- airpressure for who hes constructed for
- unloaded

So it can happen that the knobbies of a regulary smaler tyre can make him wider than the regulary wider tyre...
Old 06-29-2011, 02:24 AM   #120
Big Willy
two dementional

Oddometer: 2,173
Quote:
There is very little difference between a 150/70 and a 140/80, even theoretically. In fact theoretically, the 140 is the bigger tyre.

In real life some manufacturers might even use the same moulds, just with different plates installed.

Guessing it depends on the rim width as well.

If the rim is meant to take the 140/80, would the 150/70 fitted on the same rim be "rounder" and with an increase in height as well?

Just askin'...