Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2011, 03:50 PM   #16
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 795
We're another with a 2006 Buddy used daily for commuting by my high school student for the last 3 years. Good, reliable and fun scoot, you'll have a blast but you may want to get an Airhawk for the sort of hours in the saddle you have before you.

Over the 4.5 years we've owned the Buddy other than routine maintenance the only repair we've had was when the horn wire came loose from rattling around on the crappy roads around here.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:58 PM   #17
Mike92
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
All this seat advice! Doesn't Russell make a day-long seat for it? JK

I'm in. This looks like it will be a hoot!
Mike92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:09 PM   #18
Brooktown Geezer
scooter guy

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike92 View Post
All this seat advice! Doesn't Russell make a day-long seat for it? JK

I'm in. This looks like it will be a hoot!
Hahaha....it's because the only complaint I have ever heard about the Buddy is the seat discomfort after a few hours. His Mileage May Vary....
Brooktown Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:58 PM   #19
treefrog
I need a DS.

Oddometer: 64
Been looking at scooters for a bit. Gonna be watching this adventure. Good luck guys.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:12 PM   #20
Robert Ford
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
This should be great!
Robert Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:41 PM   #21
rnbltt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
rnbltt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:47 PM   #22
Teamr2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
In and best of luck in finding some adventure
Teamr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:18 PM   #23
Cycles
Rider

Oddometer: 14
Cycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:22 PM   #24
jmn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I'm in, Have a great trip
jmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:20 PM   #25
Dorzok
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnbltt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconstructed View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by biketherapy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnbltt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycles View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn View Post
i'm in, have a great trip
+1
Dorzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:44 PM   #26
Noisymilk OP
Run What Ya Brung

Oddometer: 79
a slightly inebriated reply

Wow, you guys are all really kind.

For the record....this is my third attempt at a reply after being slightly inebriated following a work event (in my other life, I am a sound engineer...and just finished my last gig prior to departure).

Just so you all don't think I'm an idiot...I have owned a few bikes before this. First was an 80 Yamaha 400 special....then an 82 Yamaha Virago (wow...that starter sucked)....then following an ex-wife imposed non-motorcycle ownership time...a 70 Norton Commando (yeah...my wife is awesome....did I mention she sold my truck to buy this?) ...currently own an 03 Royal Enfield military and the Genuine Buddy 125 pictured above that will be doing this trip. (BTW, the Enfield might get sold in favor of a new Suzuki TU250...I am tired of needing to have wrenches every time I want to ride....we'll see....)

Now, my father in law is a pretty high end car painter. And since he had a job this past week relating to a 2011 Camaro in their new green color, and because Mrsmilk (yeah, she might post) would like me to not die... :

Seems to be a bit more visible. Also...will be attaching a piece of pipe to act as highway pegs down under the foot area there (on both scoots), since it would appear our sleeping gear will be travelling there. I promise, fully loaded scoot pics will follow. (Thanks to Trackpete for the idea of highway pegs on a scoot...a la his trip to deadhorse last year...)

Also, for those kind people who are worried about my ass. Please note that I have purchased the Genuine solo seat that is standard with the Blackjack series, as well as the improved NCY shock absorber. And believe me, if this proves insufficient...I am all ear on how to obtain this magic "sheepskin". :)

A few other pieces of info...12v outlet (on my scoot) is upgraded to be 10 amps max (stock is 1 amp...but I'd like to inflate my flats if it comes to that). And I am travelling on a new set of Vee Rubber all weather tires, and Dean on a brand new Michelin S1 rear, with stock front tire (appears to have a fair amount of life left). Carrying one of my old stock tires as a spare, plus a patch kit.

Oh look...a new shock:

[crap....some of my photo links have gone missing....]

Ummm...also put a cool flasher on the rear brake, and an extra set of rear brake lights....so that people might actually notice I am stopping. :)

So, thanks for the interest. I am travelling home from working tomorrow (which is a tuesday) and we depart Friday May 27. Hopefully a predeparture post to follow. Keep in mind, we spent a day trying to figure out how to keep those gas cans from falling off (did I mention these little things have a 1.3 gallon tank, and we are carrying 2.3 gallons of additional fuel in those cool little gas cans in the earlier post?). I am seeing something like 80 MPG...don't have solid data on Deans scoot...but we will see. Shooting for a range of 300 ish miles on what we can carry fuel wise.

Again....thanks for coming along for the ride. Lets see how this goes.

Be safe all.

Noisymilk screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 04:35 PM
Noisymilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:15 AM   #27
zilla8
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Man I really admire guys like you and Dean.I just picked up a new Blackjack last week and have put over 300 miles on it already.I saw your scoots and thought they were a couple of Blackjack's untill I looked closer.

If any scooter can pull off a trip like yours,that little Buddy 125 can do it!!!! good luck and have a safe trip.Post your trip and route on Modern Buddy and I bet lots of Buddy owners will help you out along the way if you should need it,they are everywhere ya know

My new Blackjack
zilla8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:18 AM   #28
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 795
BTW, I posted a link to this thread over on the Modern Buddy forum. There are several people there who have taken cross country jaunts on their Buddies including one who put 22,000 miles on his Buddy crossing the country.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:53 AM   #29
Trailbruizer
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Can't wait to follow along good luck to you!
Trailbruizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:24 PM   #30
xxxfattonyxxx
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Looks like you're riding through my town, hit me up if you want some BBQ

Idaho Falls, ID btw
xxxfattonyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote