ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-23-2010, 10:13 AM   #31
capriccio
Beastly Adventurer
 
capriccio's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Oddometer: 2,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
another salesman destined for a career change. Where do these people come from?

I was going to point out for those who want ABS on a bike like this, Suzuki offers it.
So does Kawasaki on the ZX-10R with traction control to boot.
__________________
Treat others as you would your loved ones and respect your loved ones as you would others.

Capriccio.
capriccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 07:24 PM   #32
Mike Butt
Agent Provocateur
 
Mike Butt's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2002
Location: Looking west
Oddometer: 55,635
Got to sit on one at the dealers today. Seemed pretty comfortable, pegs reasonable, bars reasonable. Is the extra 20hp really worth the $1.5k over the 1250S? hard to tell. It certainly had an interesting high-tech look from the cockpit. Cast handlebars could have their drawback when trying to mount stuff just below the field of vision. No centerstand. Dealer was tko on the pannier question. Some possible highway peg/aux light/crash nipple mounting points on each side. Rear seat could easily convert to a aux fuel mount point although I couldn't see any easy plumbing solutions.
__________________
Adventure Rider #799
Mike Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 01:03 AM   #33
ferrix
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Butt View Post
Is the extra 20hp really worth the $1.5k over the 1250S?
Maybe not by itself, but wouldn't this bike also be lighter than the Bandit? Also, I hear it comes in quality fit and finish while Bandit was always a tiny bit budget-like in this regard.
If true, these three factors: extra hp, lower weight and better finish would make it worth that extra 1.5k in my opinion.
ferrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 04:46 PM   #34
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer
 
mrbreeze's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: God's Country
Oddometer: 7,519
I saw one Thursday. Tried it on for size. Very nice. Just a bit of a lean onto the bars, very comfy while still giving good control. The windshield was smaller than I expected. Good looking bike.

And there was a left over FZ1 just a few feet away priced under $8000.


There was also a Vaquero. I tried that one on too. I was disappointed in the top heavy feel of it. Very comfy ergos though.

But what really stole the show for me was the 2011 Concours 1400. Yeah I know - it's overkill. It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. I know, I know. But - ABS! Traction Control! Electrically adjustable windshield! Hard Bags! Comfortable! 5.8 gallons of gas AND over 40mpg! Who cares what it costs?!

Oh yeah - SHE does....
__________________
2013 Suzuki DL650 Adventure

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:39 AM   #35
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool
 
10/10ths's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Bayou country
Oddometer: 842
mrbreeze.....

Yeah...I'm with you.

I like the idea of a "lean and mean" sport tourer like the Ninja 1000, but dammit, how can you not have ABS on a modern bike like this?

If the Ninja 1000 had ABS, that would lure me towards the "lean and mean" side of the sport-touring equation.

But, since that is not an option, that sends me to the GsxF-1250 Bandit.....but, if I'm gonna step up in size for the Bandit, then I might as well just buy the Concours 14.

It's a slippery slope. For a long distance, all-weather, bike, with today's technology ABS is a "must have." Soooooo, my gut tells me that the middle of the road bikes like the Bandit will get run over. The Ninja 1000, FZ-1, new Honda nekkid 1000, just don't work as sport-tourers without ABS. Great, all-day comfy sport bikes, but not "over-the-horizon" week long trip bikes without ABS.

That leads to the jump to the VFR1200, FJR 1300, Concours 1400, BMW K1300GT, etc.

Then ya get the shaft, ABS, etc.

Of course, now you have a whale of a bike.

I like light bikes. If the Ninja 1000 had ABS, then I could live with chain drive, and a nice, "lean and mean" sport tourer.

Soooo,I'll keep my V-Strom 650 for long trips.

My gut tells me that the BMW K1300 or the new Honda VFR1200 would fit me best, but damn that's a lot of money.

At least we DO have a lot of bad-ass bikes out there to choose from.

__________________
1997 Ducati Monster 750

2004 Honda RC51

2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA replaced my '04 Wee 2-14
10/10ths is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:02 PM   #36
rocketmanphil
Gnarly Adventurer
 
rocketmanphil's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Barossa South Australia
Oddometer: 187
zx

at least you guys have had the chance to see it in the flesh ! it is not near the show room floor here in Australia :(
rocketmanphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:59 PM   #37
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer
 
tremor38's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Japan
Oddometer: 1,399
It's too bad Kawi's U.S. network is so obsessed with price point that they can't perceive the value added by ABS. They really wouldn't be raising the price that much anyway.

Oh well, the Ninka 1K is lighter than the Connie, so it won't slide as far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
Yeah...I'm with you.

I like the idea of a "lean and mean" sport tourer like the Ninja 1000, but dammit, how can you not have ABS on a modern bike like this?

If the Ninja 1000 had ABS, that would lure me towards the "lean and mean" side of the sport-touring equation.

But, since that is not an option, that sends me to the GsxF-1250 Bandit.....but, if I'm gonna step up in size for the Bandit, then I might as well just buy the Concours 14.

It's a slippery slope. For a long distance, all-weather, bike, with today's technology ABS is a "must have." Soooooo, my gut tells me that the middle of the road bikes like the Bandit will get run over. The Ninja 1000, FZ-1, new Honda nekkid 1000, just don't work as sport-tourers without ABS. Great, all-day comfy sport bikes, but not "over-the-horizon" week long trip bikes without ABS.

That leads to the jump to the VFR1200, FJR 1300, Concours 1400, BMW K1300GT, etc.

Then ya get the shaft, ABS, etc.

Of course, now you have a whale of a bike.

I like light bikes. If the Ninja 1000 had ABS, then I could live with chain drive, and a nice, "lean and mean" sport tourer.

Soooo,I'll keep my V-Strom 650 for long trips.

My gut tells me that the BMW K1300 or the new Honda VFR1200 would fit me best, but damn that's a lot of money.

At least we DO have a lot of bad-ass bikes out there to choose from.

tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:59 PM   #38
-GUV-
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: QLD Australia
Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketmanphil View Post
at least you guys have had the chance to see it in the flesh ! it is not near the show room floor here in Australia :(
They have been selling them here in Brisbane for about three weeks, demo's in shops too.
-GUV- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:31 AM   #39
TX Ryder
Gnarly Adventurer
 
TX Ryder's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Oddometer: 105
Oh good grief, another bike for me to lust over.



And it comes in RED!

I sat on this model at the Dallas IMS. A little more of a forward lean than my Bandit 1250, kinda close to my '03 Sprint ST (w/risers). Kawasaki was having test rides at the event, but I didn't get a seat.

Still agonizing over a decision whether to sell the ST (31K) and replace it with a new ride. I like the Z1000, but the new Ninja has pushed it out of the lineup. I figure I can mount hard cases on the 1250 and use it for a touring mount, then use the Ninja for more sport oriented riding in the Texas Hill Country and Arkansas. The no-ABS option isn't an issue, I'd prefer the Ninja without it. The 1250 is my ABS bike.

TX Ryder screwed with this post 12-28-2010 at 10:38 AM
TX Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:19 PM   #40
zuma
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Oddometer: 198
Yep, they are in Oz. I had a sit on one in my local (Bendigo Vic.) dealer on the 24th. That bike was already sold, the dealer had sold another one too.

One happy dealer, being a Honda and Kawasaki shop, put the drought on top of that and he hasn't had much to smile about lately. He feels he's on a real winner with this bike, plus it's been raining!
zuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:38 PM   #41
Brennan77
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: New Orleans
Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrix View Post
Maybe not by itself, but wouldn't this bike also be lighter than the Bandit? Also, I hear it comes in quality fit and finish while Bandit was always a tiny bit budget-like in this regard.
If true, these three factors: extra hp, lower weight and better finish would make it worth that extra 1.5k in my opinion.
The new Bandit is actually $600 more expensive than the Ninja. I can't tell from Suzuki's American website whether that includes ABS. That's one of the reasons the Ninja is so attractive to me. I currently ride a Bandit 1200. I'm wanting a more modern ride and was considering a new Bandit 1250. The 09 models were well under $10k. No longer. And by most accounts that I've seen, the Ninja is the more advanced bike while still fitting the same basic comfort and ride-ability levels.
Brennan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:55 PM   #42
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer
 
BikePilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Tampa
Oddometer: 11,149
Its reported to be much lighter than the big bandit, plus much more capable suspension, brakes, stiffer frame etc. The Bandit is a lovely bike too, just very different - fairly simple/budget suspension, low revving motor, big durable, forgiving steel frame, budget brakes etc. The Ninja seems to have near-superbike spec components. The no-abs doesn't bother me at all. I'd like it on a big heavy 2-up tourer. On a sport bike or near-sport bike I'd rather avoid the additional weight and complexity. I had a bandit 1250, its a fine bike, but this ninja and the bandit aren't really in the same class imho.

Maybe the closest thing to this ninja is the old VFR. (only the ninja is considerably quicker and probably lighter).
__________________
'09 Buell XB12XT, TL1000S, H1F, M620, CR250R, KX100, XR650R, Cota 315R

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:29 PM   #43
Mowster
Stressed Member
 
Mowster's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Brisville
Oddometer: 403
Still no regrets about buying K1300R

Kawasaki's are pretty good value, though the suspension is going to need upgrading; they insist on using springs which go soft after a year or two.....
__________________
"No, it's not, it's all about you and your content-free word slurry. "
Mowster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:29 PM   #44
Mike Butt
Agent Provocateur
 
Mike Butt's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2002
Location: Looking west
Oddometer: 55,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowster View Post
Still no regrets about buying K1300R

Kawasaki's are pretty good value, though the suspension is going to need upgrading; they insist on using springs which go soft after a year or two.....

I've had to swap out BMW suspension after a couple of years.

SoCal dealer is selling the '09 1250S Bandit ABS at under $8K OTD. The delta between that and the new Ninja is pretty big. I'm thinking the Bandit because of the aftermarket support which gets it to Ninja power levels pretty quick. But I do understand that the Ninja is a generation or two ahead of the Bandit and is more sporty rather than UJM.
__________________
Adventure Rider #799
Mike Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:06 PM   #45
Brennan77
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: New Orleans
Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Butt View Post
I've had to swap out BMW suspension after a couple of years.

SoCal dealer is selling the '09 1250S Bandit ABS at under $8K OTD. The delta between that and the new Ninja is pretty big. I'm thinking the Bandit because of the aftermarket support which gets it to Ninja power levels pretty quick. But I do understand that the Ninja is a generation or two ahead of the Bandit and is more sporty rather than UJM.
If an 09 1250S can still be found at that price, it's a no brainer. With the money saved, you could apply the full Dale Walker Holeshot treatment, including suspension, and have one beastly motorcycle. The torque curve and gains in top end are impressive.
Brennan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014