Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2011, 08:37 AM   #61
Tripletreat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
I understand folks interest in ABS. I've never owned a bike with it yet but I am persuaded by what I've read that it could very well save my life someday. The deal breaker for me is the fact that this otherwise great bike has no centerstand. I just can't imagine being happy with a bike without a centerstand.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:31 PM   #62
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,303
This is one of the very few bikes i got excited about at the bike show this year. The coolest thing on this bike, to me, is the ecentric( apologies for spelling) adjusters for the chain. I had them on my GPZ and loved them. Impossible to screw up chain alingment. By rotating them all the way in the opposite direction, you can also change the ride height to a small degree.
I think they did a great job on this bike and if I were shopping for a sport-tourer, I would take this bike over a VFR or Bandit, or most of the others in that class.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:00 AM   #63
tjhess74
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 584
jeebus people, a fantastic new motorcycle with tons of potential in a great niche market, and all some of you can do is waste pages by bitching about the lack of abs?? seriously?! nobody NEEDS abs...you WONT die if you dont get abs. just practice your damn braking skills on a regular basis on varying surfaces at varying speeds. christ almighty, you should be doing that anyway and not rely on abs to save your hides.

at least some of the more recent posters have some common sense when it comes to abs. its a tool, and only that. it has been shown time and time again that good, proficient braking can outstop abs an overwhelming majority of the time.

motorcycling is a perishable skill, dont let technology take the place of that.

this bike is right up my alley. my c14 gets me around the country, the ninja 1k will be great for shorter trips and taking up to the mountians. i see my zrx and fz6 going away soon...

my goal is to see how many gallons of dead dinosaurs i can send through my bike.
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
2007 Honda VFR800 RWB
tjhess74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:05 AM   #64
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjhess74 View Post
jeebus people, a fantastic new motorcycle with tons of potential in a great niche market, and all some of you can do is waste pages by bitching about the lack of abs?? seriously?! Nobody needs abs...you wont die if you dont get abs. Just practice your damn braking skills on a regular basis on varying surfaces at varying speeds. Christ almighty, you should be doing that anyway and not rely on abs to save your hides.

At least some of the more recent posters have some common sense when it comes to abs. Its a tool, and only that. It has been shown time and time again that good, proficient braking can outstop abs an overwhelming majority of the time.

Motorcycling is a perishable skill, dont let technology take the place of that.

This bike is right up my alley. My c14 gets me around the country, the ninja 1k will be great for shorter trips and taking up to the mountians. I see my zrx and fz6 going away soon...
+1000
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:16 PM   #65
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 867
Re: Abs

While I agree with the posters who stress rider practice and skill development and keeping sharp with regards to braking skills, the fact is that the first time some cager pulls out in front of you on a rain slicked road and you run out of talent and grab a handful of brake, ABS can save your life.

ABS is just another layer of safety.

Even if you have scanned the road ahead, even if you are not speeding, even if you have done EVERYTHING right, it might not be enough to prevent an accident.

ABS is just one more layer that could keep you from going down.

In today's marketplace, with the technology we now have available, it just seems to me that not even offering ABS as an option on this class of motorcycle is a mistake.

I get that it is NOT necessary, I get that good skills can go a long way, but at least give us the option of having ABS as one last layer of defense.

I own three bikes. I have a Ducati Monster, a Honda RC51, and a Suzuki V-Strom without ABS.

I don't think I will ever replace the Monster or the RC51, but I can see replacing the V-Strom one day. For me, my V-Strom is my long distance touring bike and bad weather bike. I will not replace that bike with a new touring bike that does not have ABS. In my mind, if I "trade up" for a new touring bike, it wouldn't be worth it unless the replacement bike has traction control and ABS since those technologies have reached a point of viability in the marketplace. I WANT those items on my next touring bike.

Now, which type of touring bike would I want? I like small bikes. While I admire the C14, K1600, FJR1300 class of bikes, they are just too damn big and heavy for my liking. So then I look towards the Bandit, Deauville, F800ST, Tiger 800, Tiger 1050, Sprint GT, KTM 990 SMT, class of machines.

Now, here comes this Ninja 1000, and I read all of these glowing reviews, and this bike is "sportier" than most, offers factory hard sidecases, a five gallon tank...........

Looks like we have a winner...but wait...no ABS?

Come on, man!

See, to me, the GSF1250 is a smidge too big, this Ninja 1000 would have been perfect.

Anyway, that's my thought process on this and that's why not having ABS on the Ninja 1000 is such a let down for me.

Cheers.

2004 Honda RC51

2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA replaced my '04 Wee 2-14
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:37 PM   #66
Bender
I can pass this guy.

Oddometer: 32,289
I sat on one yesterday here in town. Had a pretty decent feel all around, except for the seat. But really, who makes a stock seat that is worth a shit?

Looks like it's gonna be a neat bike and I would imagine that ABS will be offered in the next year or two. Not that it would sway my decision.

Bender screwed with this post 01-09-2011 at 12:44 PM
Bender is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:43 PM   #67
zuma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Pretty much my sentiments 10/10ths.
zuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:53 PM   #68
tjhess74
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 584
10/10ths, im not discounting abs and its ability to be another layer of protection, and i agree with you that its surprising its not an option.

i just find it disheartening that some of the posts in this thread alone prove that people are relying solely on it for protection. heck, ive read post where guys had their bikes towed to the dealer because the abs light came on (...cough, bmw, cough...)! everyone of us grew up without abs and ate lead paint chips, and we are just fine. technology is a great thing, but it can also make us stupid.

i think my disdain for the abs mentality has developed when i was a cop, ive worked more wrecks for bikes with abs than without. there was a 24 car pile up on the interstate several months ago. everyone of those 24 cars/trucks had abs!

there are no guarantees, and keeping yourself off of a great bike cause it doesnt have abs can only hurt your fun factor.

my goal is to see how many gallons of dead dinosaurs i can send through my bike.
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
2007 Honda VFR800 RWB
tjhess74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:19 PM   #69
arshishb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 828
Dealers already discounting it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2011-...item3f064c5ca2
arshishb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:44 PM   #70
jmlmjmjm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by arshishb View Post
Really not much of a discount...he's got $700 in additional fees in the terms.
jmlmjmjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:45 PM   #71
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

tjhess74....

...Well O.K., then.

I'm with you completely on those sentiments. Absolutely, this obsession with electronic nannies bailing you out instead of having the proper skill set is definitely a bad thing. There is no cure for stupid. I bet every one of those 24 cars in that pile up had ABS and I bet every single driver had no idea that you should just mash the brake pedal and hold her down and then steer around the wreckage.

Most people don't know how to use ABS.

i'm with you, forgive me for misunderstanding your point.

They should still offer ABS on this Ninja 1000, but you are right, not buying it because it doesn't have ABS would be a shame, it appears to be a great machine.

Now, for me, I won't buy one without ABS. And it is a shame. My next bike will have ABS.

I just cannot justify trading up from my current stable of bikes for a NEW motorcycle without ABS. Again, none of my bikes have ABS now. But if I'm going to drop $12,000 or more to replace my trusty ole' V-Strom, the replacement machine must have ABS. I want it on my next bike.

Of course, I can still back my RC51 into a corner dirt track style, but that doesn't mean my next touring machine must allow those kind of braking maneuvers. I'll trade some "expert" control for ABS piece o' mind when the unexpected pops up on the road less traveled.

Cheers.

2004 Honda RC51

Old 01-11-2011, 05:13 PM   #72
zuma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
According to the Kawasaki Australia web site we are getting the Ninja 1000 with ABS here in the colonies. I'm going to run out of reasons not to buy one soon.

Perhaps if you guys in the US of A started making some noise with Kawasaki about the lack of ABS on the Ninja over there....
zuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:26 PM   #73
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Zuma...

...that's one reason why I have been posting on this thread.

The manufacturers monitor us.

2004 Honda RC51

Old 03-06-2011, 11:35 PM   #74
DieselDog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Ninja ABS

While I have a bike with ABS and find it a worthy feature, it won't be a dealbreaker for me. My ABS has come on legitimately fewer than 6 times in 10 years. What it has done is make me realize that my brakes have far more potential stopping power without locking up then I ever realized.

I specifically bought a bike with ABS because I got into a situation where I thought I was an experienced rider and panic braked locking up the wheels. I realized then that experience won't always help you out of a fast changing situation and you can inadvertently do things that you know you shouldn't and you have specifically trained not to. I was driving safely, within the speed limit and totally aware of my surroundings. Things changed quickly when I looked over my in my mirror and briefly over my shoulder to ensure a clear lane prior to changing lanes. In that split second, the person in front of me panic stopped and I was on her bumper at freeway speeds. I was also boxed in on the left and right and really had no where to go. It can happen even if you think it can't. I survived and came within an inch of a wreck but it would have been a no brainer with ABS.
DieselDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:41 AM   #75
themocksta
Lost in this place

Oddometer: 85
I've put 3000 miles so far on my '10 Z1000. The Ninja 1k and the Z1k are pretty close to being the same bike IMHO.

A) Some Z1k's have ABS...Google sez...
B) Insurance is a crapton cheaper than a ninja 1k (standard vs. sportbike)
C) You can pick up a new one for under 10k
D) Less fairing = more sexy
E) Ride position is uber comfortable
F) Great ride even at low speed, runs the best at 75-100mph

G) Go out and test ride one. Do it....do it now!!!

"That beaver cowboy hat may not have said anything disrespectful but you have to quarantine it if it starts chewing on the furniture or building a dam in the living room" -jamespowers

themocksta screwed with this post 05-02-2011 at 12:12 PM
themocksta is offline   Reply With Quote