Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2011, 04:43 PM   #91
Pica Hudsonia
Super-dupergenius

Oddometer: 143
Today I stopped by a local Kawasaki stealership to have a closer look at the Ninja 1k. I sat on one and REALLY liked the position of everything, except I agree with JSharp that the pegs are a wee bit high.

I also tried to get an insurance quote, but the model doesn't appear on my insurance company's website. I'm sure if I called and talked to a human they could look it up. I did get electronic quotes on several bikes that are similar (sort of). The Z1000, Councours 14, Tiger 1050, and Sprint ST all run between $440 and $510 per year... but the ZX-10 is $1080!

The doofus of a salesman I met while looking at the bike (after 2 hours of internet research, I know more about it than he does) felt that the insurance guys will look past the Ninja name and understand what kind of bike the 1000 really is, then set premiums accordingly. I hope he's right. Maybe it will come in somewhere between the Z1000 and the ZX-10?

Did I mention that I really liked the feel of it? I'm jonesing for this bike. Next Spring: 2 weeks of vacation from work; a camera, some snacks, and my bedroll tied on; Pacific Coast Highway and Vancouver Island, here I come!
Pica Hudsonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:55 PM   #92
Pica Hudsonia
Super-dupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSharp View Post
These are the bags I'll probably end up with -

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/5840/

They're not large but they don't leave a bunch of hardware on the bike when you pull them and they're relatively inexpensive.
I like the looks of those, although they are quite small. Hopefully they'll come up with a bike-specific mounting system for the Ninja.

Thanks for the link.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:28 PM   #93
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,359
I stopped by the shop in Mesa AZ to check one out last week. Nice bike. It seems to be a great ride to work bike. And still be able to hit the road for some traveling.

Like everyone else I am tired of paying MSRP for bikes. By next spring that bike will be priced thousands less. Maybe that is when I will buy.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:02 PM   #94
Ray916MN
Dim Mak

Oddometer: 6
I've got about 2,000 miles on mine. Nice bike. I've done a 600 mi. day and the seat could be better. Not horrible, but I'm looking forward to the arrival of a Sargeant seat for it.

It reminds me quite a bit of the original Ninja 900 but more modern. Gas mileage is good enough for a range of 180-190 and handling is excellent as far as sport touring bikes go. Appreciably better than a 6th or 4th gen VFR and easier to go fast on than my '08 CBR1000RR. Not as good when pressed, but it has to be pressed pretty hard before it starts showing any weakness, and makes up for weakness at the limit with better stability over imperfect roads. Call it a better real world performer. Power is good with plenty of torque and good throttle response which enables you to leave it in 6th even when the road tightens and gets twisty.

The bike has several designs issues which are a bit bothersome. The mufflers fits so closely to the swingarm that swingarm spools tend to hit the mufflers and without a centerstand, this is an issue. It can be fixed with Akrapovic slip ons which enable any spools to be used, and fix another niggling problem, the stock mufflers obstructing your heels when you ride with the balls of your feet on the pegs. The Akro slip ons are pricey, but purportedly are no louder than the stock pipes, and add horsepower and torque across the majority of the powerband and save 11lbs. It appears than slip on for the 2010 and later Z1000 will also work on this bike so there are other options for pipes.

Easy to change the oil on. Nothing has to be removed to get the filter or drain plug off.

I bought the bike because I wanted a bike to sport tour on solo with hard bags. The factory bags are rebranded Givi V35s and the factory mounts which are not yet available in the States are pricey $500+, don't allow you to mount a top box and can not be quickly installed or removed from the bike. Givi has just begun shipping their mounts for the bike, which are quick install/remove and which can be used with their Monorack and cost roughly $200 less than the Kaw mounts. I cancelled my order for factory mounts yesterday and placed an order with Givi.

State Farm seems to know what this bike is as my insurance for 100/300 Liability only is $130 yr, about the same as my '95 Ducati 916 and less than my CBR.

Some dealers are discounting. I managed low $9s and I've seen under $9K pricing on the east coast.

Ray916MN screwed with this post 05-26-2011 at 11:21 PM
Ray916MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:58 PM   #95
jasonc32amg
Hello Gubner

Oddometer: 130
If you are cross-shopping the 1000 with a c14 then you ought to consider that a leftover '09 Connie can be had for a steal. I picked mine up the other day and after 400 miles I am loving this machine.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:22 PM   #96
olie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc32amg View Post
If you are cross-shopping the 1000 with a c14 then you ought to consider that a leftover '09 Connie can be had for a steal. I picked mine up the other day and after 400 miles I am loving this machine.
nah, buy both. If I didn't have a Tuono, the Ninja 1000 would be my choice as a sporty bike with ergos.
Akrapovic, Givi W'shield, Kappa saddlebags...
11 Vette, unmolested...
olie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 05:43 PM   #97
jasonc32amg
Hello Gubner

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by olie View Post
nah, buy both. If I didn't have a Tuono, the Ninja 1000 would be my choice as a sporty bike with ergos.
nah, B-King
Old 05-28-2011, 06:23 PM   #98
Presto1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Had mine since March with a recent trip to Arkansas for some twisty pleasure. The bike is great in so many ways. Coming from an 02 FZ1, this is a long leap forward in performance, especially handling. My only negative in stock form was the seat, which has been corrected with the new Corbin seat recently installed. It is not perfect, but a huge improvement.

Tried the Cortech soft luggage, but it did not do well and I will not be using them again. The stock turn signals stick out in the way of the bags, and moving them too far forward doesn't work. The Cortech tail bag does work great and looks just as good. I can't wait for the hard luggage to come on line.

Other items I've installed are; California Scientific Touring windscreen (it's awesome!), throttle lock, Aerostich super loud horn, J & M audio amp with radar overide, Intuitive frame sliders with my custom made cruiser pegs for knee pain relief.

I wonder how the stock BT016's will hold up to mileage, but one thing is for sure; they grip!
Presto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:50 AM   #99
Pica Hudsonia
Super-dupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc32amg View Post
I'm considering lots of options, including the C14 and FJR, new and used. I really like the sportiness of the Ninja 1k, but I'm still not sure if it will have the comfort factor that I want for the L-O-N-G trips I plan to take once every year or two. For 95% of my riding, I'm sure it will work great, but for those occasional cross-country, two-up cruises with luggage... not so much. I have until next Spring to decide, but the Ninja is certainly on my short list.

Thanks for sharing your first-hand experiences, Ray916 and Presto1.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:08 AM   #100
knuckledonkey
Crikey!

Oddometer: 66
Here!

Bought mine in early May and I have 300 miles on it. I'd have more, but the weather is cooperating. I am in NorCal and it's raining sideways today. IN JUNE!

It's great and frustrating at the same time that the after-market is not up to speed on a first year bike.

It's frustrating trying to find some of the items I want for it. It's great that I won't go buying it all at once.

I did find a great post about for some goodies here:

http://www.riderforums.com/showthrea...post-your-mods

knuckledonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:33 PM   #101
olie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by themocksta View Post
I've put 3000 miles so far on my '10 Z1000. The Ninja 1k and the Z1k are pretty close to being the same bike IMHO.

A) Some Z1k's have ABS...Google sez...
B) Insurance is a crapton cheaper than a ninja 1k (standard vs. sportbike)
C) You can pick up a new one for under 10k
D) Less fairing = more sexy
E) Ride position is uber comfortable
F) Great ride even at low speed, runs the best at 75-100mph

G) Go out and test ride one. Do it....do it now!!!
...that's the best bargain in town after a few leftover Tuono's. I lust my Tuono otherwise my C14 would have a Z1000 as bay mate.

oh, BTW, I favor ABS on bikes...
Akrapovic, Givi W'shield, Kappa saddlebags...
11 Vette, unmolested...
olie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:29 PM   #102
TechNomad
Roll Me Away

Oddometer: 49
Works for me

Short test ride on the Ninja 1000 and it suits me to a T.

Very comfortable and pulls strongly from 2000 RPM up. If ABS were available, I'd probably opt for it, but can live without it.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:17 AM   #103
TomZachary
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
I picked mine up on June 3rd. I've got about 125 miles on it now and absolutely love it. I had been looking at replacing a bike for over 3 months and after much debate, many trips to different dealers, several test rides, I finally decided on the 1000. It is smooth, powerful, comfortable, and after about 20 phone calls, not to expensive to insure. ($472/yr for full coverage with 1000 deductibles through State Farm) I was looking at adventure bikes, cruisers, "true" tourers (cruiser and sport), sport bikes, just about everything out there. The 1000 just seemed to fit the bill the best for me. I love sport bikes, the power, potential speed, lean angles in corners, everything about it. The majority of my riding is in town <10 miles each way. Shoot, it's only 1.5 miles one way to work. I truly enjoy those 100-200 mile weekend day trips though. And my goal is to go on more than one over night trip this year adding more over the next few years. I rarely ride with a passenger but when I do it is normally on one of those 100-200 mile trips. The ability of this bike to handle luggage, have the power to not even know a passenger is back there, be as comfortable as it is, even stock, and still be an animal on the street makes this bike awesome. I'm really trying to adhere to the break in procedure of not exceeding 4000 rpms until the 500 mile mark so I honestly haven't cracked her open yet. I can tell you that at exactly 100 miles my fuel light started blinking so I stopped and filled up. It took 3.86 gallons equally 38.6 MPG. I was a little dissappointed in the 100 mile range until I saw it only took the 3.8 gallons. That means I had another 1.14 gallons or 44 miles until completely empty. At least I know I have a strong 125-135 mile range right now. I'm hoping that will increase a little when I'm doing more asphalt eating than stop and go city driving. As for modifications, the only things I'm thinking about now are bags and possibly a different windscreen for the longer trips. Otherwise, I'm going to hold onto my cash for more gas!
TomZachary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:22 PM   #104
TechNomad
Roll Me Away

Oddometer: 49
Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Experience

Cycle World and Kawaski are partnering in an interesting promotion for this bike. They're providing 10 lucky riders with bikes for three months in exchange for guest blogging on this site:

http://www.cycleworldkawasakininja1000experience.com/

The riders are fairly diverse both geographically and in background. This should be a good resource for anyone thinking of buying one.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:31 PM   #105
themocksta
Lost in this place

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by olie View Post
...that's the best bargain in town after a few leftover Tuono's. I lust my Tuono otherwise my C14 would have a Z1000 as bay mate.

oh, BTW, I favor ABS on bikes...
ABS is good to have in my opinion, but it is also not going to be a deal breaker. I just don't believe that ABS is going to make *that* much of a difference when in an accident. I realize that it could be the difference between a close call and an accident...could. Not enough proof for me. My bike does not have ABS.

BTW - I have never gotten a better deal that what I got on the Z for any vehicle. 8599 @ 4.9%. (Maybe I'm nuts but I think that is a great deal.) Absolutely no regrets. Now just need to find a good klr later this summer for where the Z cant go.

That C14 of yours, how do you like it? I wish there were more luggage options for the Z...I wonder if I could make some of the luggage for the C14 work for the Z

"That beaver cowboy hat may not have said anything disrespectful but you have to quarantine it if it starts chewing on the furniture or building a dam in the living room" -jamespowers
themocksta is offline   Reply With Quote