Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2011, 04:44 PM   #16
dan-o
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
the bars say "Fehling" (european low bars) bought them from Huckeys. I just put progressive springs in the front, saving up for works shocks!
dan
dan-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:33 PM   #17
rudolf35 OP
Warped & Twisted Mind

Oddometer: 781
Laugh Try YSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-o View Post
the bars say "Fehling" (european low bars) bought them from Huckeys. I just put progressive springs in the front, saving up for works shocks!
dan
I had very good luck with the YSS on my K75S. The price difference is almost twice for the works. The YSS is not top of the line but it will last longer than any stock unit and perform just as good as the works; unless you go for totally adjustable Works units. Just my 0.01 worth.

rudolf35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:40 PM   #18
dan-o
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
thanks, I will look them up. Is there a prefered vendor?
dan-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:17 PM   #19
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
Please... No more cafe race Airheads. That bikes too nice to strip!

I'd change a few things but keep it mostly stock.

"S" Bars
A stock seat with a repro/stock cover. (I have a good one if you need it!)
Bar End mirrors
Rear sets
Fresh suspenders
Vintage Leather or glass bags would be nice.

Leave the rest alone but clean the bike up and get it running perfectly. The stock seats are pretty firm but very comfortable unless the foams beat to Hell. I always liked mine and after all these years, I still do.

I like that bike!

Yeah, I'd probably even leave the Sporty mufflers on it but don't screw it up. Thats a neat little bike!

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:47 AM   #20
rudolf35 OP
Warped & Twisted Mind

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-o View Post
thanks, I will look them up. Is there a prefered vendor?
The main site is right to the vendor in the US. I have talked to him several times (German) and he knows his products and M/C's.

http://www.yssusa.com/

Old 05-24-2011, 05:00 AM   #21
rudolf35 OP
Warped & Twisted Mind

Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymindsok View Post
"S" Bars
A stock seat with a repro/stock cover. (I have a good one if you need it!)
Bar End mirrors
Rear sets
Fresh suspenders
Vintage Leather or glass bags would be nice.
Yeah, I'd probably even leave the Sporty mufflers on it.
With all the good comments I have settled down to this:

Sort out drive shaft grind
Rebuild carbs
New throttle, clutch and brake cables

New repro seat
Low bars, S bar or clubman
Works springs in the front
YSS shocks on the rear
Side covers in black
Front engine cover back to alloy instead of powder coat
New shoes (BT-45's come to mind)
Vintage saddlebags leather i hope
Small windscreen
Add the pin striping on the tank as the fenders have it (tape job but nice)
The Sportster mufflers will stay until I get the main issues tended to; they are not bad and will due until the funds are available for "looks" stuff.

Depending on the condition of the points and all that associated gear I might even go for a electronic ignition; might as well keep it KISS.

To be honest, I was leaning towards the retro/updated version just needed to hear some other thoughts besides the ones rattling around my head.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:57 AM   #22
Big John Sny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
It doesn't take much for a /5 to stand out around here. My /7 with low handlebars gets called a cafe racer all the time and I still get to take my wife on the pasenger seat (that she says is one of the most comfortable she has ever riden on).
I think you are on the right track. Get the mechanicals all sorted out, ride it, and it will tell you what needs to be different. My favorite changes on the bike are the ones that have allowed me to put more miles on it with the type of riding I do. In the end they seem to stand out to me more than any cosmetic changes I have made. I think I have around 10,000 miles I have put on the bike this year.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:22 AM   #23
rudolf35 OP
Warped & Twisted Mind

Eek Back at it

OK, so after finishing the K75S, riding it and selling it, I am back at the /5.

I am attempting to sort out the drive line grind: on the center stand, in neutral, when turning the wheel the is a faint grinding noise. Took the rear wheel off; hoping it was a brake shoe dragging - not. Then turning the rear end the grinding (faint) is still there. Took the rear end off, turned the the rear end by itself, no sound. Turned the drive shaft and the sound was there. Took the rubber boot loose to check for loose/rubbing bolts - nothing.

The way I read the drawings of the driveline there is nothing in the swing arm (bearing, bushings) that could cause the faint dragging sound.

Where should I look next? Until I get the scraping sound tended to I will not tend to other matters.

Help!

rudolf35 screwed with this post 01-07-2012 at 06:10 AM
Old 01-07-2012, 06:03 AM   #24
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,408
I've always been partial to the /5's with big tanks, short seats, and completely stock otherwise. Especially that bluish-grey color they had. Mmmmm tasty.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:09 AM   #25
baldwithglasses
Godspeed, Robert

Oddometer: 795
Can you show a close-up of one of those mufflers? How are thy mounted to your bike? I'm really curious about alternative mufflers for my own rat.
baldwithglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:16 AM   #26
rudolf35 OP
Warped & Twisted Mind

Muuffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldwithglasses View Post
Can you show a close-up of one of those mufflers? How are thy mounted to your bike? I'm really curious about alternative mufflers for my own rat.
I do not have a closeup on hand. If you click on the picture it gives you the URL from my flicker site; there are more pictures of the /5.

As to the mufflers, there is a adapter between the stock headers and the cans. The PO did a bang up job on them; the second mount is like the stock to the pillion peg mounts.

rudolf35 screwed with this post 01-07-2012 at 03:15 PM
Old 01-16-2012, 06:36 AM   #27
rudolf35 OP
Warped & Twisted Mind

Forward wrech

Time has come to get serious about the /5; has been spending it's time as a coat hanger for the last 11 months.

Ever since I got the /5 the handlebars where a eye soar to me. Since I like to work on bike from the front to the back there there was no reason to change and it would get rid of the eye soar. Wrench in hand it took all of 30 minutes to get the /5 to this state.

Front-less /5

After getting the forks off the bike it was time to drain the sludge. I was plesently supprised when I found clear oil draining out; also the last pleasant find out of the fronted.

Down the drain

OK, the oil was out now was the time to see what the internals look like. Whoooooo!!! No wonder the thing felt strange riding it home; thank goodness it was only across the DfW metro area on back roads. It seems that in a lost cause effort to stiffen the springs, the PO had placed spacers in the forks. Spacers in the forks is not a bad thing, as long as they are EQUAL in number and size.

What is wrong with this picture?

It seems that one spacer was missing or one to many added; also one of the wiper rings was just sitting on the top of the piston. After a thorough cleaning, with kerosene, all the old gaskets and rings where removed and then the parts where inspected. At that point I had a major relief moment - the loose wiper ring was just going for a ride. No damage to the internals of the tube.

Knowing what parts I need, a note was sent of to Huck; now I am in a waiting state to carry on.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:08 PM   #28
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
Well, I'm glad that you decided to let the bike stay in character. Probably the last thing the world needs is another Airhead Cafe Racer.

Anyway, if you're going to install side covers, try to locate a pair of the original chromed ones. Those covers are one of the keynotes of he early /5s and they look damn good!

A great alternative color for those bikes is that deep shade of red that came from BMW. Don't see many of those!

I just love those little /5s... I should get one before they become too expensive to buy.

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:26 AM   #29
rudolf35 OP
Warped & Twisted Mind

Laugh Side covers - look nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymindsok View Post
Anyway, if you're going to install side covers, try to locate a pair of the original chromed ones. Those covers are one of the keynotes of he early /5s and they look damn good!
The plan as of now is to get the /5 into good mechanical order. Make it run as good as it should, then, after time as a local hack, go after the look good items.

I have one black side cover, the other is lost to history per PO. When the /5 is proven as a reliable bike I will search for the other side cover or bite the bullet and get a set from Huck - the bloody things run $180 a set #@%#^#$!

Old 01-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #30
d mc gee
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Get the chrome ones.

01 1150 GS
84 R100RS
74 XL350
d mc gee is offline   Reply With Quote