User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2011, 10:10 PM   #1
Ratchdaddy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Pioneertown to Big Bear California

I took a little trip from Pioneertown CA up to Big Bear. I attempted to find the old 4-wheeler trails that I used in the 90's. It turns out that they are blocked off now so I attempted to ride up Burn's Canyon to where it intersects 2N02. Well it got progressively sandier. I have some dirt skills but I still suck in the sand. That and the stock tires caused me to rethink my plan. Here is my first good spill.

My second spill was at higher speed and more graphic. I went down hard on the right and my MX boot got wedged between the hard case and the passengers footpeg. The bike was on top of me so with my leg stuck I couldn't stand to pick the bike up. After struggling for a bit I lifted the bike and balanced it with the left leg while I managed to free my boot. Here is the bike after I picked it up.

My givi crashbars did their job.

I decided to hit the hardball so I didn't kill myself and I took it up to Baldwin Lake and caught another fireroad up there. Some loose rocks and water crossings but no more soft sand. I rode back through Holcolm Valley and dropped down into Fawnskin for lunch. Then back home on the hardball.

This is my first real water crossing. Deeper than I thought. My MX boots are not waterproof. My bike is.

Overlooking an abandoned mine and Baldwin Lake in the background.

Coming down into Fawnskin. Looking out over Big Bear Lake.

It was a great day and my first real adventure trip on the F800GS. I'm glad I got to use it for something besides commuting and super-slab. Now I have to conquer the soft sand.
1977 Condor
1987 Honda Spree

Ratchdaddy screwed with this post 05-23-2011 at 11:19 PM Reason: This is my first time trying to post photos. It doesn't looked like it worked. I'll do some reading to figure out why.
Ratchdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
Spartandude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Cool scenery, awesome bike and dirt naps. What more can an inmate want? Oh, pictures that show up without digging.

Nice ride, but may need more than red x's to pique interest. (unless it's just my stupid computer).
Spartandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:31 PM   #3
Ratchdaddy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Pics

Yeah, I have lurked on here a few years but this is the first time I attempted pics. I'm reading more on how to do them now.
1977 Condor
1987 Honda Spree
Old 05-24-2011, 06:12 AM   #4
samthg
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,293
My first look at your report-no prob here, i see your pics.

They look great. I had my jeep up on the roads outside of Big Bear last fall. Nice area for exploring.

Great lookin' GS. Looks like that's gunna give you plenty of smiles & exploring miles.

Nice post, keep those pics coming.

...and btw, thank you for your service.
samthg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:56 AM   #5
riceless950
Let's Ride!

Oddometer: 3,225
Two other Beta riders and I saw you in lower Burns Canyon. We were on the way down. It was a great day for a ride.

riceless950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:09 AM   #6
Ratchdaddy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Burns Canyon

Yeah, I heard other bikes but I only saw a group of 4 wheelers. Was I still on Burns Canyon Road when you saw me or was it when I was poking around the other trails looking for an easier way up? Did you guys come down 2N02 or 3N03 or another route? I guess I need to get an up to date map of the trails back there. My map is a Jeep oriented trail book from the early 90's. If I knew that the Burn's Canyon was only that sandy for 4 or 5 miles I may have pressed on, but I wasn't in the mood to play in the soft sand for 10-15 miles.
1977 Condor
1987 Honda Spree
Old 05-24-2011, 09:33 AM   #7
riceless950
Let's Ride!

Oddometer: 3,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratchdaddy View Post
Yeah, I heard other bikes but I only saw a group of 4 wheelers. Was I still on Burns Canyon Road when you saw me or was it when I was poking around the other trails looking for an easier way up? Did you guys come down 2N02 or 3N03 or another route? I guess I need to get an up to date map of the trails back there. My map is a Jeep oriented trail book from the early 90's. If I knew that the Burn's Canyon was only that sandy for 4 or 5 miles I may have pressed on, but I wasn't in the mood to play in the soft sand for 10-15 miles.
Yeah it was in the sand. You were goin' up & we were goin' down. From your 1st tipover pic you only had a couple hundred yards of sand to go.
riceless950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:41 AM   #8
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
beautiful bike
great pictures
looks like a wonderful ride
thanks for sharing it with us
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote