Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2012, 04:11 AM   #196
Sibbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
Hans, I thought I should post this, I don't know if you have plans for different pipes to the ones she's wearing right now but here you go.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cquCfvsvoq0
It's a sweet little video!
Sibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:24 AM   #197
ontic OP

Oddometer: 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Hey, sorry I spaced yesterday for wheel pics.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

So the wheel was originally off center by 4mm to the right from the front view.

And my other project....

Thanks for that Jenna,
so just to clarify, when you centered your front wheel, did you move your rotor closer to the fork leg or further away from it? Did those counter sunk allen key bolts come with the rotor from HE? They look a bit neater than my stock KTM bolts.
and that little spacer you have in the vernier caliper, was that the original one or is that modified?
I just measured my wheel, it seems pretty close to centre. If it wanted to move it would be less than 1mm and it would want to move the rotor away from the fork leg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibbo View Post
Hans, I thought I should post this, I don't know if you have plans for different pipes to the ones she's wearing right now but here you go.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cquCfvsvoq0
It's a sweet little video!
Thanks Peter, great technique there.
I think I'll be keeping the current pipes- not to mention all the effort I spent polishing them, but someone has gone to a lot of work making these headers, the Y-piece and then fitting this staintune. If anything I might one day fit a newer less dented staintune muffler, but I'm actually OK with the one I have.
As far as the art of exhaust tuning goes, I don't know if this system is any good or not, but until I find out otherwise I'll just assume whoever made mine knew what they were doing.
If anything, it is a touch loud for my preferences, vastly different to the twin pip R90 with its ultra quiet Sito's- but it is not obnoxious or anything and actually sounds pretty good
ontic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:18 AM   #198
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,244
The wheel was moved further away from the rotor and the spacer isn't original it was made at the dark arts studio. Yes those bolts are from HE. I just got my new trail tech computer last nite. I installed it in under an hour. It helped that mi IMO wiring was still hooked up. About to take the bike up to N Georgia and hit some dirt
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:42 AM   #199
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,152
Hi Ontic, now that I've had some offroad crash experience with Neil's hardhead guards, I have to say you may be better to use these with the square rocker covers. Even with those, the tendency is to scoop material. The round ones may be give too much opportunity for the guards to 'bite' banks or the road...They could likely be improved with more material in the leading edge.

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:40 AM   #200
ontic OP

Ouch,
I hope that was the worst of it.
Thanks for the tip, duly noted. The square covers probably are a better idea anyway.

Given this bump opportunity, sadly, I don't think there is a great deal of actual progress to update. A lot has happened in life since the last activity in this thread.
For the big relevant stuff, myself and the bikes have moved home. What a nightmare! The parts pile has grown a bit bigger. Between the move, a return to full-time study and juggling full-time work at the same time I've been spread very thin. It looks like I'll be leaving for Laos for a couple of months of work in around 3 weeks, so that is where my efforts and time are being invested at the moment.
Work on the G/S will actually commence again when I get back in March, when I have time again and when I gather a few more funds to play with. I really can't wait.
I'm going to be pretty busy in Laos as well, but I'll hope to get a bit of riding in over there again.

Cheers,
Old 01-16-2013, 08:58 PM   #201
ontic OP

Hey folks,
just dropping in to say hi.
Laos is going well, been here a month and here for probably two more. Big changes since I was last here almost 8 years ago. Plenty of good riding still.

I've bought a nice little Laos tractor, a early-mid 90's XR/XLR250. I put the slash in there because I don't really know what it is, its an old bitser I think. Had some work by Fuark and just took it for its first proper run.

I've been lucky to make the right friends and have been riding some great trails with someone who's been here 7 years, along trails explored and obsessively mapped out by a guy who is making what is Laos most detailed map. Very long interconnected single trail goat tracks, basically.
I took very few photos so most of these I've pinched from my friend Steve who had a waterproof camera handy in his pocket and the skill and knack to pull it out and take pictures as we were riding. Stops were few and the really narly single track stuff you didn't want to stop on Thus the photos mostly show only the spots where the riding was smooth enough to operate a camera while riding, or where we stopped.
I'll try to be a bit better next time.

Figure 100's of kms of this up and down mountains, through jungles and through all sorts of terrains, sometimes connected by 4 wheeled dirt roads, occasionally connected by big new roads being cut in the middle of no-where. A lot of very technical riding which had me very grateful to the nimble XR.

plenty of this

this

mostly avoided these in favour of

Steve did the gentlemanly thing and led the way on this crossing, and kindly identified the big slippery rock to avoid and thoroughly drowned his WRX250- a most awesome little bike fitted with knobby's and a steering damper.
2 hours later after a fair bit of work and a lot of oil changing the WRX was running again.

adios,
Old 01-16-2013, 09:59 PM   #202
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,568
Hey Ontic looks like you're having a blast - just don't think of that poor lonely G/S at home....
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:56 AM   #203
Sibbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi hans,
it looks great mate , very Cape York if not those bridges ! Half your luck !
Old 01-22-2014, 06:15 AM   #204
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,244
Edit 3/24/14 Wow! I'm a dipshit. There is a huge difference in the C5 and C6 clutch. I was unable to use it and spent serveral hours trying to get it to work. Biggest problem is in order to get the clutch to fully engage and disengage, there is no free play and it is adjusted as far away from the bars as possible. Kind of defeats the purpose or why I wanted a different clutch int he first place. I may cut and reweld the stock lever to a closer position for little hands. Sorry Hans, I was hoping to find a solution to your problem. I noticed that the "pitch" of my perch/lever combo is nowhere as steep as yours. Oh well....live and learn.

Hey Hans, along with a "bump" I've a question. Looks like you have the C5 clutch, I've been gifted a C6 series clutch. I think the only difference is an adjustable on the fly lever. Wondering if the stock clutch cable was modified?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontic View Post
Clutch is an ASV and is so lovely and smooth and light (like many things, the colour was 'chosen' because the clutch was cheap- damaged display stock)
It has a hotstart lever which is hooked up to the choke.
I am very happy with it.

hardwaregrrl screwed with this post 03-24-2014 at 05:43 PM
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:16 PM   #205
ontic OP

I really do need a bump to this thread...
I've moved house twice since the last post, bought this most recent one and renovated, been back and forwards to Laos 3 times, and only made a little bit of progress on the G/S

anyway, the situation in that picture was a temporary fix- it was a bmw threadless adjust thing (from a /6 or something) slotted into the ASV adjuster which was hogged out a little bit. It worked fine but it it made the whole thing a bit too long when using handgaurds.
I changed and finished off the switchgear mounts and other stuff, which is all really good, and then tried to fix up that adjuster thing with some machining- it didn't work and now I am back to square one having to machine up something new.
Short answer is no, I have not found a good way to fit the stock cable ferule into the adjuster- the cable ferule is so big, and there is not enough meat on the adjuster to bore it out to suit. If I had just welded on a well fitted sleave and then machined it out at the start, it might have worked out, but my one is now stuffed.
I am just going to make something from scratch this time. It shouldn't be too hard but then I have a good friend with a good metal fab shop.

Maybe some photos later, it is something I have to find a solution for, so I'll keep you posted (and if you come up with something, let me know)
gotta run to work now.

P.S. It is worth the effort- the ASV clutch action is such a HUGE improvement over the old lever.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:15 AM   #206
Sibbo
Gnarly Adventurer

G'day Hans , I'll take this as proof of life !

Merry Christmas .
Old 01-23-2014, 02:52 AM   #207
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,426
Excellent adventuring Hans. Look forward to listening to some tales.
Coming to the Cold Flame at Pinch River?
Old 01-23-2014, 03:43 AM   #208
Damage1340
New old bastard

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontic View Post

Is that Mercer down by the creek?
Old 01-23-2014, 11:27 PM   #209
ontic OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibbo View Post
G'day Hans , I'll take this as proof of life !

Merry Christmas .
Heart still beating, cheers Peter, same to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME 109 View Post
Excellent adventuring Hans. Look forward to listening to some tales.
Coming to the Cold Flame at Pinch River?
Cheers again,
cold flame sounds promising- I wasn't sure if I was heading back to Laos soon or not, looks like not, so I'll try to make it. I'm actually heading up Peters way for a month or so for a job so I now need to try to get back in time for cold flame. I think the R90 will be up to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage1340 View Post
Is that Mercer down by the creek?
Sure is, and that is just after he thoroughly drowned his WRX in the water He crossed that one first, went under once, got up and kept the bike running, then went under again, properly, with himself kinda stuck under the bike, head bobbing under, and I was half off my bike starting to enter the water not knowing if he needed help...
turns out he was pretty annoyed at me... for stuffing around and not taking some photos of him as he drowned his bike for its first time
Old 01-24-2014, 12:17 AM   #210
jian var
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Hi, I have been watching all the nice things that you do and I would like to ask you guys where i can buy triples for a wp4357 front for my r100gs and at which price? To tell you the truth i am a bit lost with all the info i read...
This is the bike I am trying to built!!!
jian var is offline   Reply With Quote