Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2012, 07:47 AM   #121
Renner
infamous wrench

Oddometer: 2,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontic View Post
I thought that maybe that one of those rubber O-ring things (not really proper O-rings) on the filter had gotten stuck in the filter housing...
sorry I'm late to the party but it appears clearly to me that there's a proper o-ring at the bottom of the tube.

I had to fish one out myself some time ago, twisted a length of safety wire and bent a hook at the end.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:56 AM   #122
ontic OP

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renner View Post
sorry I'm late to the party but it appears clearly to me that there's a proper o-ring at the bottom of the tube.

I had to fish one out myself some time ago, twisted a length of safety wire and bent a hook at the end.
Yeah, even though it didn't look like that with the eye the photo kind of looks like that doesn't it? I did try having a poke at it with a long bolt but couldn't feel anything out of the ordinary.
Anyway, I've just done over 1,000km's (and some very hard km's at that) on it that way so I hope things are OK.
Maybe I should open it up and have another look at it though... thoughts welcome
ontic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:05 AM   #123
ontic OP

Got back last night, so here's a few photos from my little week long ride and camp.

It was a hot day when I left, something around 40C (104F).
I was heading somewhere very familiar and wanted to try a new-to-me road for part of the way... a very long dirt and gravel road (the back way between Marysville and Mansfield through Woods Point). I got out of the house late, had a long way to go, and by the time I finally got onto this road I realised I was pushing things to make my destination in time, so I was going kinda quick. It was mostly a nice fast dirt road, with the only problem being the rapid approach of unavoidable (at that speed) deep potholes and nasty corrugations. I'm looking forward to 'tootling' along this road again on the R90 at a relaxing pace exploring some of the very many campsites, but would not consider doing it again with those time (speed) requirements and luggage load.
My bar end mirrors had soon shaken loose (in spite of the locktite on the offending bolts) and soon after amongst a range of other undiagnosed new noises I had broken the forward mount on my right side pannier- lucky for pannier straps
anyway, in spite of very few photos on the way up it was a nice long day of riding.

one of many essential stops to recharge the airconditioning and refill the camelback- this one a lovely high altitude mountain stream with icy cool water

many hours and km's later I had located my friends 'secret island' and was just about to walk into here for a nice relaxing swim.

I had a beer for the first time in 5 months, followed by a few more, some single malt, etc, etc, Good times.

As the wier water was falling, once the island was no longer an island the R90 settled into the grass and enjoyed the fresh air

Activities involved swimming, fishing, sailing on my friends lovely boat he built, more drinking, and so on. Most nights and days were also sweetened by some excellent live music (steel string and acoustic guitars and violin and vocals) by a few of the very talented people I was camping with.

there was time to look at the small things (Jewel Spider)

time to ponder and build some bigger things such as a woodfire pizza oven,
it took a lot of stone, some steel rebar and wire, digging, mud and grass but man this thing works very well. Next year, if it is still standing, it will probably be full of broken glass and rubbish and bullet holes... but one can live in hope.

and plenty of time to cook and smoke things in the oven

A few of the many unlucky Redfin (Perca fluviatilis) I caught. Great eating fish, and now classified as a class 1 noxious fish (you cannot legally throw them back). Not bad smoked either.

Just a random shot of home base nestled in the Elms, going through an unnatural autumn because of the falling water and heat. Between my arriving and leaving the trees had lost nearly half their leaves.

after many lovely days and nights with a nice day ride in the middle it was time to go home.
It is always tempting in the hot summer times to not bring wet weather gear- even though I only had leather gloves luckily I did bring my goretex and eVent pants and jacket liners- I got absolutely drenched on the way back for 3 hours or so of very limited visibility riding as I came up to and then crossed the mountains (after Whitfield).
So, while I was very wet, chilled, and a bit harrowed having done some very twisty roads in dumping rain and mist with a near bald rear tyre... at least it gave the bike a good wash for her last photos.
Once I had dried and warmed up again exploring a few side tracks a couple of hours from home

Once again I've had a great ride on the R90. She is really such a beautiful touring road bike and handles the dirt and gravel surprisingly well... however, I am really looking forward to getting the G/S done. Those particular potholes and corrugations were brutal and though the nice surface dirt straights and friendly camber sweepers are a blast, the funky tight stuff on road tyres and near-stock suspension can get a bit uncomfortable if not scary.

Time to get back to work, and back to work on the G/S,

Happy new year
Old 01-09-2012, 05:04 AM   #124
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,003
Quote:
Time to get back to work, and back to work on the G/S,

Happy new year
No, first you must overdesign your pannier racks for the R90
Looks like a nice way to spend a few days, Hans!
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:51 PM   #125
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,204
Your camp looks amazing. Pizza oven and smoked fish! Wow.
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #126
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by igormortis View Post
Your camp looks amazing. Pizza oven and smoked fish, cold beer! Who forgot the beer???.

almost perfect but....
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:00 PM   #127
ontic OP

thanks folks,

Jenna, the weak link in my R90 luggage was the pannier itself- I'd already made extensive repairs with ABS glue and new plastic, metal and rivets, but this road was its undoing. Not sure what I'll do, probably just a beefier repair like the last one for the moment- later on I might look into a set of aluminium boxes for it as well.

igormortis, cheers, it was a great camp which I was lucky enough to arrive at already set-up. It was good fun making that oven and a good learning experience. For hot-smoking that oven is brilliant, and with a bit of care and attention could probably be rigged up for cold smoking as well. For pizza it needed a lid over the front which was fabricated out of some corrugated iron- and some big ceramic floor tiles on top of the metal hotplate- temperatures were checked with a oven thermometer and it was very controllable from very low to anywhere over 300C.

OLH, no worries about that. Comparitively speaking, in Australia 'responsible moderate drinkers' put a lot of foreign alchoholics to shame especially on holidays like this. There were something like 4-5 eskies (coolers, chilly billies, whatever you call them) full of cold beer amongst other things. Most of this beer was a range of different home brew numbers in different styles and vintages. Excellent stuff. Someone was usually doing a run into town (or home nearby) to pick up more ice and beer (and usually single malt) on a daily basis... and of course return another boot load of empty beer bottles

back to work tomorrow, unfortunately, but now I'm off to buy a bit more hydraulic pipe so that I have the supplies to play in my spare time,
Fortunately my neighbours are pretty forgiving and don't seem to mind me cutting and grinding metal until quite late, so I'll be trying to get this stuff done after working hours,
Cheers,
Old 01-09-2012, 11:34 PM   #128
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,438
You poor bugger - no tellyHow did you keep up with the Xfactor? Smart phone?
If you start saving now next year you'll be able to stay at a motel.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:55 AM   #129
Sibbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
Hi Hans ... I'm assuming that was Camp Charlie ? Very nice indeed Do you by any chance have some less artistic photos of the boat ?....perhaps something showing the whole ?

and the R90,"Princess ? "is a real beauty ...she's gonna be sad when all the cobwebs grow over her when the g/s comes online! Much as I like Tilly that girl is a beauty !
Sibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:38 PM   #130
ontic OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibbo View Post
Hi Hans ... I'm assuming that was Camp Charlie ? Very nice indeed Do you by any chance have some less artistic photos of the boat ?....perhaps something showing the whole ?

and the R90,"Princess ? "is a real beauty ...she's gonna be sad when all the cobwebs grow over her when the g/s comes online! Much as I like Tilly that girl is a beauty !
Thanks mate,
yes that was camp Charlie and his boat Fanny which is a real beauty in looks and sailing ability. Unfortunately I didn't take many photos and I don't seem to have anything showing the whole boat. Charlie is going to send me some of the photos he took so I'll shoot you some by email if there are any better ones in that bunch.
The R90 is a lovely girl. I do feel a little guilty though thrashing her across corrugated potholed dirt roads with full load on her back. I feel that at this point in her life she deserves a little bit better treatment! A lot of the time I suspect that I will be unable to sell her when the time comes... we'll see how that goes...
I'll be putting her on club plates this year (which will get me a maximum of 90 days a year (legally) riding it. In fact rego is due now. Bugger. I can barely afford having the car and the bike rego'd and once the G/S comes online it will be stupid. Club plating the R90 will put the pressure on getting the G/S ready- which I may just put on club plates as well to see how that works out- which if I am riding a lot in a year will make me use both bikes... so hopefully cobwebs won't be a problem.

anyway, sorry, no non-arty shots of the boat.
I'll give you an arty shot (from my 5 year old mobile phone camera) of my first day back at work today instead

Old 01-11-2012, 01:08 AM   #131
Sibbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Hans...I've heard about Charlie's boat on the WBF but have never seen a photo ...please excuse my nasty arty photo comment a bit slack ......

Club rego is something I should investigate cos I really don't get the time to ride, well not as much as I'd like . It's the third party insurance that is the killer here in NSW . $490 this year .The rego was a pittance by comparison .
Old 01-11-2012, 03:18 AM   #132
ontic OP

Hey, no offense taken whatsoever Peter.
I used to take arty photos as my primary passion- and as it happens I'm usually pretty hopeless at taking good old ordinary photos that are good at showing people things
I'll soon be embracing the digital age and getting myself a digi camera that I am actually happy putting in the effort with again.

I didn't know Charlie had been so modest about his lovely boat... but now that I know I am glad I have perpetuated the mystery. You're just going to have to make it down one day soon to have a look for yourself

About club rego- yep worth looking into.
The R90 costs me $577 a year to keep on the road fully registered, and my 4x4 $641. Thats with the compulsory third party insurance included. Both are due next month
The club permit thing costs a membership to the club (IIRC anywhere from $50-100 a year I think unless you qualify for pensioner rate or something) and then $66 for a 45 day rego (availble twice in year) or $130 for a 90 day rego (only available once in a year) (used any days of the year you want).
My two bikes and my BJ42 all qualify for club rego- I could keep them all rego'd on club plates, including the club fees for a lot cheaper than fully registering only one of them... if driving 90 days and riding 180 a year isn't enough... well... I'd just have to get another bike then wouldn't I and club registering that as well (ie, 4 vehicles) would still be cheaper than only registering my car and would give me 360 days a year of potential driving or riding. It's madness.
I'm looking forward to a different job where I don't need to lug tools so I can ride to work and then I may just go down this path (club registering all my vehicles).

And there's a bit of thread drift.
Back on track, I'm happy, but my wallet is not, that I've wound up with a day off tomorrow. Hopefully some time to play with the welder,

cheers,
Old 01-12-2012, 01:30 AM   #133
Sibbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Hey, no offense taken whatsoever Peter.

Thanks Hans !

I used to take arty photos as my primary passion- and as it happens I'm usually pretty hopeless at taking good old ordinary photos that are good at showing people things

Um,um.... you take really great shots of R90/6s parked on roadsides .

I'll soon be embracing the digital age and getting myself a digi camera that I am actually happy putting in the effort with again.

I didn't know Charlie had been so modest about his lovely boat... but now that I know I am glad I have perpetuated the mystery. You're just going to have to make it down one day soon to have a look for yourself
Yep , good bait . I fully intend to turn up some day .No sure when though ....the eventual plan is a big loop down via Broken Hill, Adelaide ,Melbourne, up to Charlie's then home .
Old 01-12-2012, 02:20 AM   #134
ontic OP

Well, a package arrived this morning. Thanks Solo
One of the things in it (aside from my Slavens custom wound springs for the new front end) was a set of used white brothers stainless footpegs.
I got them on US ebay pretty cheap and from looking at online photos and comparing angles and whatnot I figured I might be able to make them work on the G/S. A total gamble really.

these are the kind of footpegs (these ones pictured are actually ti-pro but my version are stainless)

Now, getting them in my hands and lining them up with the bike it did indeed look like they could be made to work with minimal efffort.

for a simple bolt on swap all you need to do is to shorten this a little

and then they fit in the G/S footpeg bracket thing in quite an adequate position

compared to the stock one

it is not quite that simple though-
there are a range of ways it could be done, but for my purposes (not altering the bike frame aside from overdrilling the bolt hole a tiny bit) a bit of metal also had to be added here (this is before it got welded on) to allow the footpeg stop to work properly,

like I said, that could be done other ways that didn't require welding.

Now this was all OK and might be just fine for someone else, but as the footpeg is wider it had kind of moved forward a little while staying at the same height- I wanted to lower the footpegs a little bit if I could...
so,

if we look again at how they were before,

I chopped off those sleeves and rewelded them on the bottom, (the one on the right looks particularly ugly because that was the one I had already shortened and after slicing it off I had some metal to build back up- and then I had to grind the weld to get the spring back over it)
At this point they've also had their stops packed out and welded on,

now the new comparison with the new position
old footpeg again

now the altered white brothers in its new position

As you can see the footpegs are now lower than stock (and compared to the previous position a little bit further back)-
Not a lot lower than the stock peg, but the difference is noticable, and there is not interference with anything or any permanant mods that need to be made- the brake pedal the shifter actually feel like they will work fine in the positions they are in with no adjustment- but a little tweaking won't be a problem anyway.

with a little bit of 'massaging' the springs that came with the white brothers work like they were made for this appication- and by swapping from left to right will work fine in either the first option or my cut and re-welded lowered option. The footpegs spring back and forward just like the stock ones.

The position feels great, not a huge lowering but a good improvement and compared to my 90/6 my legs and knees are much more comfortable. With raised handlebars I may actually be able to stand on the pegs (with a positive effect on handling) which will be nice for a change.
These footpegs feel really good- they are wide and long and seriously grip, with the raised center strip you can kind of pivot forward and back and with their width and length you can shift your feet around a fair bit (good for long rides for me because my legs hurt). They feel very nice to stand on.
For me they are a massive improvement from stock.

In the end this was a pretty cheap upgrade for me, and with the TIG and my who-cares-how-it-looks welding 'skills' it was a pretty easy modification... I am getting a little sick of the smell of burning powdercaot though

Of course, the only testing I've been able to do is on the centre stand in the shed making bbrrrmmm bbrrrmmmmmn noises, so the we'll see how they go in the real world at a later date

Cheers,

P.S. on an interesting note, while I was down at my metal recyclers today trying to find a bit of stainless for moving that sleeve from the bottom to the top of the peg (before I gave up and just used the bits I had cut off) these footpegs seriously failed the 'stainless test' of magnetism. They are seriously magnetic- just as much as mild steel. NOT stainless says my very friendly metal recycler- just use mild steel... that can't be right I think as I walk out, I was sure these things were meant to be stainless... and the polished bits... not way this was mild steel
Back at home the internet and a white brothers sales blurb told me that they are made out of 17-4 stainless which as it happens is very magnetic.
Interesting (to me)
Old 01-12-2012, 02:24 AM   #135
ontic OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibbo View Post
Yep , good bait . I fully intend to turn up some day .No sure when though ....the eventual plan is a big loop down via Broken Hill, Adelaide ,Melbourne, up to Charlie's then home .
Crossed posts with you.
Good bait indeed.
Sailing on the Hume dam was interesting. I am actually a very lousy and unconfident sailer. I am much more a boat builder than a sailor. Given the hills and valleys and whatever else that effects it, the wind on the water there goes all over the place. Stops, starts, swings around, swings back... I am used to port phillip bay but that was challenging.
Load Tilly up and get on down here for a ride before it gets cold again
Cheers,