ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 02:35 PM   #76
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend
 
RevBill's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Mayodan, NC
Oddometer: 2,102
Mermite Panniers Project - Part One ..

Started on another project I have been not getting done .. some Mermite Can Panniers .. I really dig the way these look on the KLR .. and I am going for that whole "Post-Apocalyptic-Zombie-Survival" looking "thing" .. well .. sorta .. I'm not really into the whole sub-culture of it .. but I think it's a pretty kewl "look" .. I kinda like the whole Steam-Punk-Pseudo-Victorian look too, but that's a tad demanding and I'm not into having to polish and keep everything "neat" .. anyway .. here we go ..

First you need a pair of victims .. erm .. some material to work with .. in this case, Mermite Cans .. old US Mil-Spec food delivery "coolers/warmers" that were in use from somewhere around or just after WWII until recently .. they also used to be dirt-cheap and found just about everywhere there was a military surplus store .. they ain't cheap anymore, and they are getting harder to find .. the gaskets for these things are still around too, though they are getting tougher to locate .. fortunately, with even minimal care the cans and the gaskets should last you for decades .. seriously ..

Mermites .. notice that one of them has some moisture around the edge where the gasket normally sits .. I left this one out in the weather for the past five or six months .. not one drop of moisture got inside .. awesome ..


Side-by-side .. the one on the left is without the gasket and the one on the right has the gasket sitting in place .. these gaskets do not glue down and sit in a flat channel .. they are extremely tough and are about as bullet-proof a weather seal as you can get .. my goal is to keep the gaskets and that channel they sit in intact for strength as well as weather resistance .. I "modularize" all of my gear into individual bags anyway, so I have no need for a huge opening to remove large packages ..


Here are the two power tools I considered using .. I opted for the Roto-Zip as it's lighter and smaller and the rpms that cuttoff wheel turn at are easier to manage than the heavier DeWalt angle grinder .. though you will note I have removed the safety guard .. you do so at your own risk .. I also ended up removing the handle on the frame of the roto-zip as well .. it really is an easily managed tool .. if you are taking notes, I used three cutoff wheels to remove the main liners ..


.. a little sloppy on the cutting, but this won't matter much when I am done and have gone back in and used a grinder to finish the edges .. it makes the job relatively easy to cut around the top and down both sides and across the bottom .. in this pic I have not yet cut across the bottom ..


.. here I had already started peeling the liners out before I went across the bottom with the roto-zip .. I should have been more patient, but I just had to start playing with it ..


.. here is what you end up removing .. two large pieces of the metal liner/insert .. it's a little messy, but not very difficult really .. if you use the right tools .. I was still experimenting a little .. I found it works best to cut around the top, down the sides and across the bottom and then first curl the ends on one side into the center and then pry our the panel with the tire tool .. using the screw driver to "start" the edges .. make very quick work with minimal effort ..


.. tools .. these are the ones that make the job up to this point messy but not impossible .. rubber mallet, flat bladed screwdriver, roto-zip, long tire tool (though any medium pry-bar would work), and some pliers (those are electricians pliers, commonly called "Kliens") .. one the deck you see some more screw drivers, a insulator's knife (used by insulation installers and is handy for all sorts of projects), and the handle of the roto-zip .. in this shot you can also see the foam insulation still inside the can after the removal of the metal liner parts I had cut loose ..


.. here's a shot of them with the majority of the foam insulation "chipped" out .. one lesson I learned was that using the tire tool/bar was easier and faster than using the insulator's knife .. and it also removed more materials .. a putty knife was pretty much useless until the bulk of the materials was removed .. ymmv .. I plan on using some chemicals to melt/remove the remaining insulation and also prep the interior before painting it down with some rustoleum ..

.. you may note that in the bottom can, even though the bottom is virtually clear of insulation due to the foam not having been fully injected into the can during manufacture, it has more foam left along the walls .. this is the one I used the insulation knife on .. the top can is the one I used the tire tool to remove the insulation as well .. though it may not look like it, it has far less insulation still inside .. the tire tool took out larger chunks and was much easier on the hands (because you can use both hands at the same time) .. I'd recommend this method to remove the bulk of the insulation before going after the finishing clean out with a putty knife or chemicals ..

.. more to follow .. I called it a night as it was getting dark and the kids had just got up from their nap and were wanting some "dad-time" .. all good .. the Mermite Pannier Project will continue .. later ..

(edit - a note on safety .. I didn't mention it earlier .. but eye protection and at least one of those el-cheapo dusk masks are a must .. I also recommend a long sleeved shirt to keep you from opening up your arms on those can edges and a pair of decent gloves for the same reason .. )
__________________
"On the road less traveled there ain't no TP, bring your own and that will make all the difference.."
RevBill's SmugMug Shenanigans
My '06 KLR

RevBill screwed with this post 11-29-2011 at 04:15 PM Reason: .. added a safety note and cleaned up some grammar ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:57 PM   #77
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend
 
RevBill's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Mayodan, NC
Oddometer: 2,102
Mermite Panniers Project - Part Two

.. will edit in the rest of the project here .. more to come ..
__________________
"On the road less traveled there ain't no TP, bring your own and that will make all the difference.."
RevBill's SmugMug Shenanigans
My '06 KLR
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:59 PM   #78
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend
 
RevBill's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Mayodan, NC
Oddometer: 2,102
Mermite Panniers Project - Part Three

.. just in case I need the space ..
__________________
"On the road less traveled there ain't no TP, bring your own and that will make all the difference.."
RevBill's SmugMug Shenanigans
My '06 KLR
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:16 PM   #79
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend
 
RevBill's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Mayodan, NC
Oddometer: 2,102
Good Blog Site ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikB View Post
That's a well farckled toxic green adventure bike...
Hey Vik .. just had the chance to check out your blog .. good stuff and some great links .. I posted up a couple of remarks (Alcan Fairing and Center Stand) ..

.. hope I have the chance to spend some time riding with you one day .. or at least we have a chance to cross paths and have a beverage ..

Ride Blessed ..
__________________
"On the road less traveled there ain't no TP, bring your own and that will make all the difference.."
RevBill's SmugMug Shenanigans
My '06 KLR
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:20 PM   #80
BigT
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: SF Bay Area, California.
Oddometer: 835
Great looking KLR! Have you weighed it lately?

I've never heard it called Toxic Green, but I agree that is the best color.

BigT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:53 PM   #81
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend
 
RevBill's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Mayodan, NC
Oddometer: 2,102
Looking Good BigT ..

.. once I get all the bolt-ons done I'll take her over to get weighed .. with and without all the camping gear .. she's probably not far off her weight now as I don't think the weight difference between the Ammo Cans and the Mermites is really going to be earth-shattering ..

.. but at least I'll have a better idea of where I need to have that rear shock dialed in .. right now she handles fantastic for all the extra weight and then my fat fanny added to the pile ..

.. if I can ever swing one of those Alcan Fairings it will be interesting to see the weight difference since I would end up stripping everything up front back off to fit that fairing .. if you run into Craig Vetter out there in CA tell him I WANT one .. lol .. preferably before he goes to Alaska with his ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Great looking KLR! Have you weighed it lately?

I've never heard it called Toxic Green, but I agree that is the best color.

__________________
"On the road less traveled there ain't no TP, bring your own and that will make all the difference.."
RevBill's SmugMug Shenanigans
My '06 KLR
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:35 PM   #82
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend
 
RevBill's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Mayodan, NC
Oddometer: 2,102
.. trying something new .. Ghetto Fairing ..

.. found this off of a link from Vik's site .. Ghetto Fairing using the splash/safety shield .. Willson Sperian face shield .. found two on eBay for about $10.00 each .. one green and one clear .. I got the green one Friday .. so this afternoon the kids were off to Grandma's with the wife, it was time to play with the KLR (though I should have been riding .. dangit) ..

.. took off the big fairing rack I had just recently put on .. no loss there as it was coming off anyway .. though I think it looks really kewl and will hold a chuck of "stuff", it's to much weight and added a whole bunch of vibrations and rattles and noise to the front ..

.. here's some pics ..



.. the Ghetto fairing adds about 2-3/4 inches to the top and about 2-3/4 inches to each side (more on that in a minute) ..


.. the safety shield has a small re-enforcing bead molded into the edge, but I doubt it's strong enough to stand on it's own so (luckily) the stock windscreen actually supports it nicely .. you will nee some slightly smaller screws and some washers to install the safety shield ..

.. here's the issue with the wider part (you smart guys already know what's coming) .. the left side clears my handle bars just barely .. like, it hits at exactly the same moment as the stop hits on the column .. so no worries hard to the left ..


.. on the right, however .. there's some serious contact with the throttle cables .. not enough to kill you since the safety shield is quite flexible, but I am sure it's going to be annoying when going to full lock on a hard right ..


.. the right-side contact is not a deal breaker, but I am going to trim that side to clear the cables anyway .. it's still rather effortless to go to full lock so I'm not worried about it (yet) ..

.. you'll note I also put the Duchin/Studebaker dash back on .. so far I have removed about 1/4" of material along the entire front (and it's till just barely rubbing the stock windscreen) .. but this will be the dash I will be going with for the near future .. or at least until I can swing an ALCAN fairing and really change things up ..

.. also now have the Ricor Intimidators on order (took advantage of the Black Friday Sale they had going on) .. so front shock rebuild will be coming up soon ..

.. still waiting on the carb parts for some fine-tuning there .. dangit .. may have to cancel the order from the one vendor as I found the parts elsewhere in stock and ready to ship ..

.. also met a great guy today who showed up out of the blue .. local guy with an '07 KLR pulled into the drive while I was out playing with mine and we chatted for a few minutes and traded names .. told him about ADV Rider and suggested he join us here .. but he is over at the KLR site and I'll look him up over there as well ..
__________________
"On the road less traveled there ain't no TP, bring your own and that will make all the difference.."
RevBill's SmugMug Shenanigans
My '06 KLR
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:00 PM   #83
dwthump
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: So. Illinois
Oddometer: 287
Green!!!

I've got a blue '09 KLR but I really like the KAW green.
I'm wondering...does Krylon come in lime green? Can I paint the front fender or do I need to get a KAW OEM part to get the sexy lime green?
dwthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:03 PM   #84
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend
 
RevBill's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Mayodan, NC
Oddometer: 2,102
.. it ain't cheap .. but here it is ..

.. this is what everyone swears by .. and they charge a good penny for it too ..


http://www.colorrite.com/product/kaw...green-1503.cfm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwthump View Post
I've got a blue '09 KLR but I really like the KAW green.
I'm wondering...does Krylon come in lime green? Can I paint the front fender or do I need to get a KAW OEM part to get the sexy lime green?
__________________
"On the road less traveled there ain't no TP, bring your own and that will make all the difference.."
RevBill's SmugMug Shenanigans
My '06 KLR
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:04 PM   #85
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend
 
RevBill's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Mayodan, NC
Oddometer: 2,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
.. it took me a few days and a few hundred miles with the new "ghetto windscreen" when I looked at BigT's bike again and realized that the "Wheatwacker Mod" would solve the throttle controls contact with the shield ..

... brilliant ..

.. since I won't be putting that rack back on front it looks like I'll be doing the "Wheatwacker Mod" when I get it set up ..

.. at least until I score and ALCAN Fairing ..
__________________
"On the road less traveled there ain't no TP, bring your own and that will make all the difference.."
RevBill's SmugMug Shenanigans
My '06 KLR
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:17 PM   #86
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend
 
RevBill's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Mayodan, NC
Oddometer: 2,102
New Year's Eve ..

.. well .. after some miles with the "Ghetto Windscreen" I think I'll keep it .. along with the "Wheatwacker Mod" it will work out great .. as an added bonus .. the double windscreens make a GREAT map holder .. print out your google maps and just slide them right between the windscreens .. have not lost one yet .. even at 70mph in a grueling crosswind they stay put .. pretty kewl ..

.. on another note .. chains .. yeesh .. finally broke down and got around to putting on a new chain and sprockets .. I had already bought a complete set and I had been noticing the increased "shiny glitter" from the metal shavings starting to come out more and more .. I had already wanted to try out a 16 tooth front and had decided to stay with the stock rear 43 for now .. so since all the plans to go riding had fallen through for the day I dove into the drive train ..

.. in place were the stock sprockets and chain .. almost 20K miles on the odo so I figured it was about time to replace the chain and check the sprockets ..



.. well .. the chain has done it's duty .. that's a shot of it laying flat on the links and flexed on the bias .. way to much side-to-side .. I can see why it has thrown itself off twice in the past month, thankfully not at speed ..

.. and the sprockets .. the rear probably still has some life in it .. but the gears were getting thin in-line and the grooves were starting to widen enough to be a concern .. so better to just replace them both .. the front actually had enough groove to look "bent" in-line when you first looked at it ..



.. so off to the garbage bin with the lot .. in the process of swapping out the sprockets I changed over to a 16 front .. have only had the chance to put about 60 miles on it this evening but I REALLY LIKE IT already .. for my "style" of riding it seems to suit me very well .. I did notice I needed to downshift on the steeper hills .. but man I stayed in 4th gear most of the time through some nice speedy turns and wide sweepers .. down shifting into 3rd brought the speed down efficiently and felt solid .. I noticed that I also find the shift points much more to my liking and I can't argue with 4K @ 65mph (indicated) in 4th gear and 3.5K at 65mph in 5th (I'll need to double-check that as I was really enjoying the curves more than I was watching the rpms) .. but everything felt very smooth and solid .. good even acceleration out of the corners and I deliberately "made a move" on a car on the way home to test the passing ability .. I like it .. down shifted and hit the throttle and she went ahead without trying to wheelie (like that's a serious risk anyway, but the point is the front stayed solid and didn't get "light") and easily passed at about 60mph and went quickly up to 80mph when dropped into 5th ..

.. nothing empirical .. but I can understand why a lot of folks sing praises to the 16tooth front sprocket .. can't wait to try it out on the slab to see if it really is as smooth as I have heard ..

.. I can say this .. a new chain really quieted down some of that chain-rattle and noise I had been hearing too .. thank goodness for that ..

.. oh yeah .. here is some of the ugly stuff I have been dealing with lately .. frost ..

I have REALLY got to get me a carport or garage .. or maybe clean out the 10x20 building I originally got for my bikes .. lol .. or at least a cover .. something anyway ..

and .. HAPPY NEW YEAR ya hooligans .. may you all have a Blessed and Happy 2012 ..
__________________
"On the road less traveled there ain't no TP, bring your own and that will make all the difference.."
RevBill's SmugMug Shenanigans
My '06 KLR

RevBill screwed with this post 12-31-2011 at 06:24 PM
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:14 PM   #87
Whitebread117
I do what I want
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Western NC
Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBill View Post
.. well .. after some miles with the "Ghetto Windscreen" I think I'll keep it .. along with the "Wheatwacker Mod" it will work out great .. as an added bonus .. the double windscreens make a GREAT map holder .. print out your google maps and just slide them right between the windscreens .. have not lost one yet .. even at 70mph in a grueling crosswind they stay put .. pretty kewl ..

.. on another note .. chains .. yeesh .. finally broke down and got around to putting on a new chain and sprockets .. I had already bought a complete set and I had been noticing the increased "shiny glitter" from the metal shavings starting to come out more and more .. I had already wanted to try out a 16 tooth front and had decided to stay with the stock rear 43 for now .. so since all the plans to go riding had fallen through for the day I dove into the drive train ..

.. in place were the stock sprockets and chain .. almost 20K miles on the odo so I figured it was about time to replace the chain and check the sprockets ..



.. well .. the chain has done it's duty .. that's a shot of it laying flat on the links and flexed on the bias .. way to much side-to-side .. I can see why it has thrown itself off twice in the past month, thankfully not at speed ..

.. and the sprockets .. the rear probably still has some life in it .. but the gears were getting thin in-line and the grooves were starting to widen enough to be a concern .. so better to just replace them both .. the front actually had enough groove to look "bent" in-line when you first looked at it ..



.. so off to the garbage bin with the lot .. in the process of swapping out the sprockets I changed over to a 16 front .. have only had the chance to put about 60 miles on it this evening but I REALLY LIKE IT already .. for my "style" of riding it seems to suit me very well .. I did notice I needed to downshift on the steeper hills .. but man I stayed in 4th gear most of the time through some nice speedy turns and wide sweepers .. down shifting into 3rd brought the speed down efficiently and felt solid .. I noticed that I also find the shift points much more to my liking and I can't argue with 4K @ 65mph (indicated) in 4th gear and 3.5K at 65mph in 5th (I'll need to double-check that as I was really enjoying the curves more than I was watching the rpms) .. but everything felt very smooth and solid .. good even acceleration out of the corners and I deliberately "made a move" on a car on the way home to test the passing ability .. I like it .. down shifted and hit the throttle and she went ahead without trying to wheelie (like that's a serious risk anyway, but the point is the front stayed solid and didn't get "light") and easily passed at about 60mph and went quickly up to 80mph when dropped into 5th ..

.. nothing empirical .. but I can understand why a lot of folks sing praises to the 16tooth front sprocket .. can't wait to try it out on the slab to see if it really is as smooth as I have heard ..

.. I can say this .. a new chain really quieted down some of that chain-rattle and noise I had been hearing too .. thank goodness for that ..

.. oh yeah .. here is some of the ugly stuff I have been dealing with lately .. frost ..

I have REALLY got to get me a carport or garage .. or maybe clean out the 10x20 building I originally got for my bikes .. lol .. or at least a cover .. something anyway ..

and .. HAPPY NEW YEAR ya hooligans .. may you all have a Blessed and Happy 2012 ..
Cheese and Rice, Bill (phonetically similar yet blasphemy-free - cleanest I get on New Years Eve ) chains aren't supposed to flex that far on the bias. I guess you realized that though

You'll like the 16 tooth. Joe convinced me to try it for commuting/just rolling around and I love it. Much improved on the pavement and not too fast for doubletrack and exploring. Get a 14 tooth for serious playing in the woods (with your mountain dwelling friends ) and you'll have the best of both worlds. Both will fit on standard 106 link chain.

As for the frost, I feel your pain. I leave the house around 4:30am most mornings and at that time these Smokey Mountains are usually the Freezing Foggy Mountains. Scotch tape is your friend. Keep some in your jacket pocket and stick a strip over the ignition and gas tank keyholes whenever you get done riding. That way when you come out at zero dark 30 you just peel the tape off and start her up. Also, my throttle tube has taken to sticking if the temp is below 30F. I installed the el cheapo Tusk grip heaters a while back and they work great at keeping my hands warm. I turn them on for a minute or two while i'm letting the bike warm up and the throttle tube is freed up and moving smoothly by the time I'm ready to roll out.

You ought to go ahead and get a cover regardless if you want to keep that radioactive green shiny. Just over this summer my cowl and front fender have faded drastically from sitting out. They'll be going black before long anyway so no big deal, but I was suprised how fast they faded because they were shiny factory new looking 1999 blue/green last spring.

Happy New Year
Whitebread117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:55 AM   #88
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer
 
Murphy Slaw's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Southern Illinois
Oddometer: 1,160
And a Happy New Year to you as well, Rev....
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:09 AM   #89
Doc279
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Maryville, TN
Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwthump View Post
I've got a blue '09 KLR but I really like the KAW green.
I'm wondering...does Krylon come in lime green? Can I paint the front fender or do I need to get a KAW OEM part to get the sexy lime green?

Go to Autozone - Spray cans of "grabber Green" from a Ford Maverick - good paint too
Doc279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #90
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend
 
RevBill's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Mayodan, NC
Oddometer: 2,102
kewl ..

.. I didn't know about that one Doc .. thanks for the heads up ..
__________________
"On the road less traveled there ain't no TP, bring your own and that will make all the difference.."
RevBill's SmugMug Shenanigans
My '06 KLR
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014