Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #91
swoody126
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Good reading

i have been reading your thread, for the last 2 days

i have had 2 klr's, a '93(sold/traded off) & '06(limey/deceased)

i used soft saddle bags over some flea bay side racks and a huge dry bag in front of the cabella's insulated atv rear bag sitting on top of a flea bay bbq grill

the bbq grill extended past the turn sniggles in the rear, adding protection

your farkles & safety mods made sense

i used an old enduro rider's method of packing sockets that made short order of organizing them & they fit into a much smaller space(if you mentioned this, sorry, i must have been asleep when i read it)

take a 6"-8" 1/4" drive extension & slip common 3/8th" sockets over it, capping the string off w/ a 1/4 - 3/8th" adapter w/ the 10mm x 3/8th" drive socket on the adapter

a sliding "T" handle & you're set

you can even keep an assortment of specialty sockets, like allen heads & screw driver heads in a "royal crown" bag($.50 @ the local flea mkt), complementing your kit

i carried my little socket bundle in the tank bag, along w/ a pair of 5" needle nose vise grips & a 4" crescent, to make periodic adjustments quicker & easier

i noticed you did a nice job of moving the fuse issue to an easily accessed location

that leaves only 1 major access point un-addressed

the battery terminals

w/ the side racks in place, getting to the battery for service or jumping is a time consuming issue

take a drill w/ a wood boring bit & drill a neat hole, thru the side cover, in line with the seat mount bolt

the "10" on the extension w/ a "T" handle on the other end will reach right into the seat bolt & remove the little rascal

& if you have one of those magic little magnetic inserts in the socket, the bolt will behave during the process

BTW:

pingle removable front wheel chocks(w/ hdwr) can frequently be found on craigslist for $15 - $30

combine the pingles w/ "bed bolts" ( http://www.bedbolts.com/ ) & you can maintain your flat bed trlr & haul your skooter safely

& there are several center stands, on the mkt now, that are much better made, some even have a foot lever for raising the skooter, easier

enjoy your ride & get a brain bucket for the 2 master mechanics, so they can enjoy it w/ you

even if it is just around the block

shiny side up
Old 01-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #92
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,486
Is it true the green ones turn red once they get ripe, RevBill?
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #93
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
Is it true the green ones turn red once they get ripe, RevBill?
.. lol .. that's okay as long as it don't get over-ripe and turn black .. lol ..

.. actually .. I love the toxic-green, but I am looking for a different complete set so I can save the toxic green ones for later use or for touring in other countries ..

.. I have always been planning to go with either a desert sand or olive green mil-spec scheme to complete the look .. especially for PGR service .. but not so sure I want to try that south of the border ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #94
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoody126 View Post
i have been reading your thread, for the last 2 days

i have had 2 klr's, a '93(sold/traded off) & '06(limey/deceased)

i used soft saddle bags over some flea bay side racks and a huge dry bag in front of the cabella's insulated atv rear bag sitting on top of a flea bay bbq grill

the bbq grill extended past the turn sniggles in the rear, adding protection

your farkles & safety mods made sense

i used an old enduro rider's method of packing sockets that made short order of organizing them & they fit into a much smaller space(if you mentioned this, sorry, i must have been asleep when i read it)

take a 6"-8" 1/4" drive extension & slip common 3/8th" sockets over it, capping the string off w/ a 1/4 - 3/8th" adapter w/ the 10mm x 3/8th" drive socket on the adapter

a sliding "T" handle & you're set

you can even keep an assortment of specialty sockets, like allen heads & screw driver heads in a "royal crown" bag($.50 @ the local flea mkt), complementing your kit

i carried my little socket bundle in the tank bag, along w/ a pair of 5" needle nose vise grips & a 4" crescent, to make periodic adjustments quicker & easier

i noticed you did a nice job of moving the fuse issue to an easily accessed location

that leaves only 1 major access point un-addressed

the battery terminals

w/ the side racks in place, getting to the battery for service or jumping is a time consuming issue

take a drill w/ a wood boring bit & drill a neat hole, thru the side cover, in line with the seat mount bolt

the "10" on the extension w/ a "T" handle on the other end will reach right into the seat bolt & remove the little rascal

& if you have one of those magic little magnetic inserts in the socket, the bolt will behave during the process

BTW:

pingle removable front wheel chocks(w/ hdwr) can frequently be found on craigslist for $15 - $30

combine the pingles w/ "bed bolts" ( http://www.bedbolts.com/ ) & you can maintain your flat bed trlr & haul your skooter safely

& there are several center stands, on the mkt now, that are much better made, some even have a foot lever for raising the skooter, easier

enjoy your ride & get a brain bucket for the 2 master mechanics, so they can enjoy it w/ you

even if it is just around the block

shiny side up
.. awesome setup for a socket rig .. I have not seen that before .. thanks for sharing that ..

.. and I have thought hard about the access holes in the side covers and will probably do that with the mil-spec set I will eventually put on it (with a set of decals saying "emergency" pointing at the holes) .. for now I have two power cords hanging out for a battery tender and heated gear that I have been told I can use for jumping (but I have only ever jumped the bike off with my charger/starter when I left the key on like and idiot once) ..

.. oh yeah .. I ain't admitting to having my own crown royal bag(s) .. lol .. ahem .. nothing to see here .. move along ..
Old 01-13-2012, 04:20 PM   #95
Skowinski
Chordate

Oddometer: 4,694
Hey RevBill,

Just saw this thread. I've got the same year, but in the "ripe" color. Here's the list of tweaks, off the top of my head:

- Progressive fork springs, forks slid up in triple clamps about 20mm
- Progressive military spec shock, lowers rear about 25mm
- Eagle Mike doohickey
- Moose skid plate
- Happy Trails crash bars
- Fairing modified to open up dash behind it for GPS
- Dunlop D606's (best I've tried yet, you can actually steer it on gravel/sand now)
- Yamaha Raptor manual petcock
- Disconnect and bypass clutch interlock and sidestand switches/relays
- All fuses moved to side of bike for access
- MSR handguards
- Progrip handgrips, softer
- Studebaker fork brace
- Corbin dual platform seat
- SW Motech centerstand
- Steel braided brake lines
- Way too much luggage so it looks like a pack mule on a trip

I'm pretty happy with it. Well, except for the fact that it's a pig and doesn't have any power.

"Nature never hurries, yet everything is accomplished."
- Lao Tsu

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #96
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend

.. awesome build Skow ..

I noticed the same thing on my mil-spec rear shock too .. I ended up adding 1" raising links and man that bad boy really performs now .. just amazing really when you add up all the crap I have added and my big self too ..

I have a set of intinimators for the front forks, but have not ordered a set of progressive springs yet .. that's coming soon ..

.. you have got a couple of other mods I have not gotten to yet also .. like the brake line upgrades .. I actually ordered the rear braided brake line the other night and I am very close to pulling the trigger on the front over-sized rotor and twin caliper setup and adding a braided line too, but really don't want to do that until I get the front forks sorted out ..
Old 01-14-2012, 04:53 AM   #97
Whitebread117
I do what I want

Oddometer: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBill View Post
. for now I have two power cords hanging out for a battery tender and heated gear that I have been told I can use for jumping (but I have only ever jumped the bike off with my charger/starter when I left the key on like and idiot once) .
Battery tender plug works fine for jump starting. Done it a couple times using some pieces of 12awg wire taped into the plug as extensions to give enough separation to attach jumper cables. If I come across a cheap source for extra plugs I'm planning to buy one and make up a set of jumper cables to keep on the bike. Battery tender plug on one end, alligator clips on the other. 10' long or so wouldn't take up much space. Doesn't take a lot of juice to get the starter turning so you don't need a real heavy wire. 12awg jumpers spun the motor just as fast as normal.

Btw, if you haven't tried it the bike is relatively easy to bump start in second or third. The only times I've had to jump start (twice) has been at work cold starting on level ground after a rain. Pavement was too wet - dumping clutch would just skid rear tire instead of turning the bike over.
Whitebread117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:45 AM   #98
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend

I have been insanely lucky so far and have not had to bump the KLR (knock on wood) ..

.. now my shafted Suzuki VL-800 is a REAL pain to bump, though I have had to do it only once ever .. and not since I re-geared her for highway cruising, not sure what that's going to be like if I ever have to do it again .. but man that bike sucks to bump in a parking lot, even with three guys pushing .. lol ..

.. I grew up with a VW Beetle .. lol .. about the easiest thing I have ever had to roll-start .. even in a parking lot by myself .. and I did that many many times over the years .. lol .. still love that Bug .. still got it too, just need to give it an overhaul .. I should put her back on the road for someone else to enjoy .. I'd have a heart attack trying to roll start that girl today ..

.. I did see a guy with a home-made cable made from battery tender ends that he just plugged into each bike .. thought that was pretty slick as long as both bikes have plugs ..

.. I like the idea of making a set of cables too .. I have some extra 10-2 SO cord and some clamps out in the shop too .. hmmm .. another project ..
Old 01-14-2012, 08:06 AM   #99
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,427
Why make a set of cables?
Buy a set from Battery Tender.

http://batterytender.com/accessories.html

For when both bikes have an SAE end.

And for when they don't.
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:57 AM   #100
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend

.. there ya go .. I never even bothered to look to see if they made/sold a set .. good info ..
Old 01-14-2012, 09:05 AM   #101
eddie bolted
BOING!!!

Oddometer: 2,967
G]

[COLOR="Cyan"].. btw .. as of this writing .. one of our fellow inmates owns the Cabins at Nantahala and is probably one of the most gracious and best host (along with his family) that I have met in a long time ..
Joe......I met Joe here on ADV and stopped to visit him 2 yrs. ago when i rode to the Smokies! Good Guy.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #102
speedracertdi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 985
Cool build man! I thoroughly enjoyed the read.

Seriously brother, clean up that yard!
Old 01-20-2012, 11:31 AM   #103
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend

The yard can wait .. If it's nice enough to mow then it's time to ride .. Heh heh ..

Sent from RevBill's iPhone using Tapatalk .. Ride Blessed y'all ..
Old 01-24-2012, 02:55 PM   #104
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend

.. spent some time doing some PM today ..

.. after having my clutch and the enricher literally freeze in place the other night I thought it might be about time to get off my fanny and lube some cables .. yessir .. got that done ..

.. and got the clutch arm mod installed as well .. fellow ADV'er Ernie makes them from stock clutch arms .. does it very well too .. all the info you need to know is here .. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=527547 ..

.. great mod .. I know I won't be hurting quite so bad from traffic jambs now .. but I'll still be dreaming about a Recluse .. lol ..
Old 02-10-2012, 09:58 PM   #105
RevBill OP
Irreverent Reverend

Enricher .. enough is enough ..

.. okay .. time to either build a garage or take some measures to prevent the freezing of the enricher ..

.. building a garage is a tad beyond my financial reach at the moment .. so another solution is needed .. and just as I was about to pull the trigger on a part for another motorcycle I ran across a potential solution on eBay ..

.. a nice brass enricher made for the KLR 650 .. made to replace the handlebar setup .. looked good so I pulled the trigger to the tune of $40.00-ish US and got it in the mail last week ..

.. so while the wife is at home today and I had the day off .. as since she is as sick as a dog with the flu and I could not go riding .. there was only one thing left to do .. replace that stock enricher with this shiny new plunger sitting on the desk ..

so in we go .. for those who have not been "in there" before .. this is looking in from the left side, after the tank has been removed .. the socket extension is pointing at the carb-end of the enricher cable .. this is where that little black plastic part lives .. the one that frequently gets broken if you are not insanely careful, and often breaks even if you are gentle ..

.. here we are with the cable unscrewed .. you can see (even with my fuzzy cheapo camera) where it mounts ..

.. here is a shot of the after-market aluminum replacement and the plastic part .. I had originally planned on swapping it out as a preventative measure .. and still might if I decide I don't like this new rig .. NOTE - YOU DO NOT NEED THIS REPLACEMENT SPACER FOR THIS NEW ENRICHER .. I am just putting this in so that anyone who has heard of these and not seen one knows what it looks like and what it is ..

.. and a shot of the new part along with the replacement spacer and the stock rig .. the guy that made these put some time into their design .. good solid piece of work that fits absolutely perfectly .. the brass stock is rounded off to clear the side of the carb and threads in fully to the bottom of the carb threads .. no wobble or wiggle once it is in ..

.. and freshly installed and adjusted for tension to keep the enricher open ..

.. couple of starts and restarts just to get a feel for it .. I like it .. this one is adjustable (by using some small o-rings under that shiny small nut) so that you can set the "friction" on the shaft to hold it open at any position from full to "just barely" open .. or you can loosen the adjusting nut to allow you to hold it open while you start and then let go once cranked up and running .. good design .. solid bit of work .. good solid internal spring to return it to closed if you don't have it tightened to stay open ..

.. I have already noticed that the vacuum hose for the fuel line/petcock is not quit in the way, and not quite out of the way .. for anyone using the aftermarket or modified petcock and have eliminated the vacuum hose this rig is within easy (easier) reach ..

.. I think it would be only a modest improvement to lengthen the whole unit .. but honestly I kinda like that it's sitting a little way back in there and not readily obvious where or what it is .. call it a cheapo security product for anyone who does not know exactly where to look to start/steal your bike .. it's also far enough in that it's pretty tough to damage, but can be gotten hold of with your finger tips to pull out and slides right in with the point of your finger .. good smooth action ..

.. edit .. oh yeah .. and one less cable up on the handle bars too .. I really like that ..

RevBill screwed with this post 02-10-2012 at 10:15 PM