User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2011, 10:02 PM   #1
dr..jones OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Silverwood to Arrowhead (So. Cal)

Well I was finally able to get my new F800GS off the pavement for a proper weekend adventure on Saturday and Sunday.

We threw the bikes in the truck and drove from Orange County to the Lake Silverwood OHV Staging area.
The ride took us mostly on fire roads from Lake Silverwood to Lake Arrowhead. We had beautiful weather, sunny and about 70.

I had the privilege and pleasure of riding with my best friend and the guy that got me on my first motorcycle.. my dad.

The riders and gear:

Me-> BMW F800 GS, SW-Motech Crash Bars/Skidplate, Barkbusters, Wolfman Dry Saddlebags, North Face Small Duffel, Kenda Big Blocks, Sena Headset.

Dad-> KTM 450, plated, baja kit, bash plate, nylon duffel with tie downs, Sena Headset.

I have done quite a bit of off road riding in my past, but it has been at least 5 years and I had never done it on such a large bike. I was a little nervous on my first outing on the F800GS. After leaving the staging area and heading onto the fire road, the trail climbed quickly up and away from Lake Silverwood and toward the treeline.

My Dad's KTM 450 obviously was in it's element, but he was nice enough to hang back and give me time to get comfortable. Even fully loaded with all our food and camping gear on the F800Gs I was extremely surprised at how light it felt. All the gear rode nice and tight to the bike and didn't move at all. The new Kenda Big Blocks hooked up great in the dirt and even in the very rocky sections and in the climbs my confidence grew with each mile.

The trail was not difficult by any means but it did have a really fun creek crossing about half way through and some amazing views of the lake and the valley.

We popped out on the pavement about 2 hours later and rode into Arrowhead Village for a soda.

After walking around for a bit we headed up to Dogwood Campground (we made reservations online ahead of time).

The campground was great, it had hot showers, toilets and firewood bundles could be purchased at the gate. We set up camp and then headed into the town of Blue Jay for some lunch. Ended up at a place called Arturo's Mexican Food, which ended up being pretty good.

We rode around Arrowhead some more after lunch, and ended up catching a movie in the evening (I know, really "roughing it" right? :-)

After making it back to camp we grilled some steaks on the fire, and I whipped up some Mac and Cheese and some instant Mashed Potatoes. Delicious! After some hot showers we crashed.

The next morning we broke camp and headed back out the way we came.

The google earth file of our trip can be downloaded HERE

I used a iPhone app called Trip Journal that took tracks and also allowed for attaching pictures and notes to specific waypoints which was nice.

One final thought about our gear... Extremely impressed with the Wolfman luggage. Worked great. But the MVP of our little trip was our pair of Sena Headsets! Being able to speak to each other while riding and hear each other clearly was completely awesome! The channel can be opened by tapping the large button on the outside and they worked for two days straight on a single charge. If you are in the market for a communication system that is wireless, connects bluetooth to your phone, as well as other riders, I cannot recommend it highly enough. A great product.

It was a fast, but great trip and we can't wait to plan another one!

Thanks for reading!

"There is no such thing as a bad motorcycle." -My Dad

"Half the fun of travel is the aesthetic of lostness." -Ray Bradburry
dr..jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:44 AM   #2
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
love this ride report
beyond the nice description and wonderful pictures, how trip happened with YOUR dad
very well done
good for the both of you
thanks for sharing with us
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:15 AM   #3
dr..jones OP
Adventurer

Thanks!

Thanks Clearwater! I can't think of anyone else I would rather ride with.

And after our trip, I think he caught the bug to start looking and saving for an adventure bike so we can go even further. Mission accomplished!

Old 05-26-2011, 11:42 PM   #4
Ratchdaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Ditto on the Sena Headsets. I have a pair my wife and I use. I used mine for the first time on a ride out to Houston. It rained most of the way and the first charge lasted for 12 straight hours of playing music and some phone calls.
Great quality for the music too.

I was riding up by Big Bear last week. Love those mountains.
1977 Condor
1987 Honda Battle Spree
Ratchdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:25 AM   #5
roadchick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Nice pics! Looks like you two had a great time!! How fun to be riding with your Dad! My son will be getting his moto license soon, so I hope to be doing some riding with him in the near future!
Old 05-27-2011, 04:33 AM   #6
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr..jones View Post
Thanks Clearwater! I can't think of anyone else I would rather ride with.

And after our trip, I think he caught the bug to start looking and saving for an adventure bike so we can go even further. Mission accomplished!
my dad id 81... hasn't ridden since the 1940s/50s in BROOKLYN, no less
my GS Adventure is now a HACK and will be back from DMC (in washington) in a month...
i hope that my dad will want to get in the sidecar and go on a trip with me

we'll see
i'll show him THIS thread
thanks for the reply
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:00 AM   #7
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,526
Nice report! You captured 'our' area darn well. Been ridin' those roads for many years.

As a dad, there is nothing like doing what you love and sharing it with your sons(2 in my case).

My 2 boys have been away at college, so riding has been very thin the past few years. Your report has re-inspired me to coordinate some trips together this summer.

Now, if I only new someone with a beautiful new 800gs i could use, for say 2 months..........just sayin'

Good luck with the new machine. Cherish those rides with your dad, he does.
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:46 PM   #8
dr..jones OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW View Post
my dad id 81... hasn't ridden since the 1940s/50s in BROOKLYN, no less
my GS Adventure is now a HACK and will be back from DMC (in washington) in a month...
i hope that my dad will want to get in the sidecar and go on a trip with me

we'll see
i'll show him THIS thread
thanks for the reply
I hope you do show him this thread! Any time spent with Dad is good time.

A sidecar trip sounds great! I'll be looking for the Ride Report!

Old 06-05-2011, 08:55 PM   #9
ORNGRDR
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I'm glad to hear that you had a good time. Your dad is a good man. Perhaps we can put a 990 in the backround of the next photo shoot
ORNGRDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #10
thehead21
-aka Jared-

Oddometer: 15
Stumbled upon your ride report - Nice write-up and Pics! Looks like a fun trip, great you did it with your dad!