User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #1651
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,734
Using "Earl" for DSM???

Anyone seen new rugged survival 6" tablet named "Earl"? It appears to be specifically marketed at backpackers, but maybe it will fit Adventure rider needs too? Even though its running Android 4.1, it sounds like it might be running a heavily modified version of Android, so not sure it would ever work with DSM, but if did, this could be exactly what we have all been waiting for to run DSM on!!! A rugged, waterproof, and easy to see screen tablet and 6" isn't too bad of a size to use on a bike.

At the moment its still in the "crowdfunding" phase with a 30% discount to early funders. Depending on how it turns out, though even at full price, it still doesn't seem like its priced that bad depending on how well it works is adoptable to other Android apps and not just what they load on it.

- http://www.meetearl.com/
Quote:
Meet Earl, a revolutionary tablet engineered for the most extreme of outdoor situations. Built for survival, Earl works where today's smart phones and tablets cannot. Style meets efficiency with Earl's intuitive design, fusing Android 4.1 together with an energy sipping E-Ink screen and the latest in GPS, weather sensor, and radio communication technology. With Earl at your side, stay in control of your journey no matter where it takes you.
Adv thread on "Earl"
- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=885864
  • Glove friendly infrared touchscreen with 3D joypad and gyroscope for a multitude of touch and motion gestures allowing easy control in almost any condition.
  • 1024x768 6" flexible E-ink screen designed by LG provides superior visibility in direct sunlight
  • Water/dust/shock/mud-proof. IP67 rated, allowing full submersion in 3 feet of water for 30 mins. Reliable in temperatures between 0-50 C. and altitudes up to 40,000 feet.
  • Laminated solar panel provides up to 20 hours of battery (3000mAh). Earl charges in 5 hours in direct sunlight using high efficiency 18% mono crystalline solar cells.

This question in the FAQ does make it sound promising to use with other Android Apps?

Quote:
Can I use Earl to connect to the internet?
Sure. Earl is a full- featured Android tablet with bluetooth and wifi included. Choose from thousands of apps already available for Android and use Earl to share GPX and KML trail routes with users around the world.
The included FRS/GMRS/MURS radio is pretty cool. I wonder if that will hook up with the BT? That would be a neat feature.

The weather forecasting is pretty cool too.

Solar charging

Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:51 PM   #1652
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
You really should be using the website for track storing, transferring,and editing. Upload whatever GPX you want to the website. Edit oats you prefer, then download it to the app via the search functions.
Crafty,

Tried uploading the TeTs gpx files to the website and it says they already exist and won't let me upload. Am I doing something wrong? Also, is it possible to edit the route to only the portion of the trail I am doing on the website?
RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #1653
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTheFallen View Post
Crafty,

Tried uploading the TeTs gpx files to the website and it says they already exist and won't let me upload. Am I doing something wrong? Also, is it possible to edit the route to only the portion of the trail I am doing on the website?
Never mind, figured it out.
RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #1654
emgee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Question Compass and Speedometer Formatting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmbeeeeer View Post
Quick follow up.

I rolled my device back to Android 4.1.2 last night which fixed the number formatting problem......
Pete
I'm having the same formatting issue with the compass and the speedo. I couldn't find a reply indicating if there is another solution rather than rolling back the Android version. So..... Is there?

I'm running Android 4.2.2 on a Galaxy Nexus.

Thanks,
Michael
emgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:49 PM   #1655
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by emgee View Post
I'm having the same formatting issue with the compass and the speedo. I couldn't find a reply indicating if there is another solution rather than rolling back the Android version. So..... Is there?

I'm running Android 4.2.2 on a Galaxy Nexus.

Thanks,
Michael
Can you post up a screen shot of the issue? I don't have a 4.2 device so I cannot see the issue.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:06 PM   #1656
emgee
Adventurer

Quote:
Can you post up a screen shot of the issue? I don't have a 4.2 device so I cannot see the issue.

Whoa. Thanks for the quick reply.

Couldn't figure out the insert image feature and pasting the image directly into the body of the post didn't work so you can view it here. Sorry for the hassle.

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s267/s...a2540310dbf0a0
Old 05-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #1657
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by emgee View Post
Whoa. Thanks for the quick reply.

Couldn't figure out the insert image feature and pasting the image directly into the body of the post didn't work so you can view it here. Sorry for the hassle.

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s267/s...a2540310dbf0a0
Whoa, that is seriously screwed up! Never seen that before. I need a 4.2 device to fix this though... CM doesn't come for my phone... This is going to have to wait I'm afraid. Rather cheesy answer but the one I've got at the moment. I'll see if I can get a simulator working this weekend...
Old 05-13-2013, 03:21 PM   #1658
emgee
Adventurer

Quote:
Whoa, that is seriously screwed up! Never seen that before. I need a 4.2 device to fix this though... CM doesn't come for my phone... This is going to have to wait I'm afraid. Rather cheesy answer but the one I've got at the moment. I'll see if I can get a simulator working this weekend...

No worries. Thanks for looking into it.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:34 AM   #1659
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

RE: Earl

I think not BL. eInk is slow to redraw and because motorcycles have gasoline power supplies, there is no need for low current use. I'd get a waterproof Sony phone and call it a day.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:17 AM   #1660
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,172
Quote:
I think not BL. eInk is slow to redraw and because motorcycles have gasoline power supplies, there is no need for low current use. I'd get a waterproof Sony phone and call it a day.
I don't understand.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:19 AM   #1661
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
I don't understand.
BlueLghtning asked for opinions on an eInk Android device called Earl. I am unimpressed...
Old 05-14-2013, 08:25 AM   #1662
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,172
Quote:
BlueLghtning asked for opinions on an eInk Android device called Earl. I am unimpressed...
What I mean is, I don't understand how the gasoline powered power is relevant.... unless that was a joke. In which case, I don't get it....
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:27 AM   #1663
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
What I mean is, I don't understand how the gasoline powered power is relevant.... unless that was a joke. In which case, I don't get it....
You should plug your tablet into the motorcycle and therefore you shouldn't care about it's battery life or the current draw of the screen.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #1664
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
Torque

I just jot a Torque and down loaded app ( my old phone wouldn't run it) now to try and use it.

tom
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:23 AM   #1665
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,734
Quote:
Quote:
It wasn't so much the battery life, although yeah for some that could come into play if they choose not to run it off the bike. It was more being able to see the screen in direct sun light, its ruggedness and water proofness, but yeah as I have followed the other "Earl" thread, it's been brought up that eInk is very slow to redraw and therefore might not work as expected as a motorcycle navigation map. Obviously with their intended use for hikers, the draw re-rate is not a big factor in the equation, but could be a deal killer for navigation at 60+ mph.

I just thought it looked like a pretty rugged device and was impressed with that side of it. The main question still remains though about what access to the Google Play store it will have and therefore what apps it can really run? eInk obviously puts a big limit on that I would think as I've learned more about it.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is online now   Reply With Quote