Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #1666
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,210
TrailTech Voyager has the premium screen for this sort of deal. It's very low power, fast redraw, & great contrast in direct sunlight. If I was designing that tablet I'd have used that screen rather than eInk.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #1667
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 1,997
I admit I'm not very good with computers, but I am having a problem with the site. I'm sorry if this is a mundane request, but it's got me stumped.

I clicked the GPX Files, zoom in on the Tucson area, to look at some of the routes available. I can click the flags and see a description of the route. When I click on it to show the track, I can't seem to get back out of the track view to look at other tracks in the area, without resorting to clicking on the GPX link at the top, which makes me start all over again (with the full US map).

I tried "search map for tracks" and did a drag and click box, but then it freezes the level of zoom and I can't search outside the immediate area.

I know there's probably some kind of back button that I am missing, but for the life of me I can't find it.

Thanks for helping.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:05 PM   #1668
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
I admit I'm not very good with computers, but I am having a problem with the site. I'm sorry if this is a mundane request, but it's got me stumped.

Thanks for helping.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:15 AM   #1669
NHBill
Loosely Wrapped

Oddometer: 1,365
Crafty:

Site is down...
"There's a very fine line dividing bravery from stupidity..."
2009 F650GS
NHBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:35 AM   #1670
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBill View Post
Crafty:

Site is down...
Windows update crashed the server. Working on it.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:35 AM   #1671
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

My EMC box got killed by a windows update. It took three hours to resurrect it. It went down around midnight. Sorry for the inconvenience.

craftycoder screwed with this post 05-16-2013 at 01:43 PM
Old 05-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #1672
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,092
Earl may have a home as an electronic road book however...
Old 05-16-2013, 01:43 PM   #1673
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Agreed.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:00 PM   #1674
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
mmhm
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:24 AM   #1675
Jäger
Osons

Oddometer: 785
Hi Crafty:

Have put the Trimble Junos and Garmins aside for a while to mess around with the app. I'm pretty heavily tilted towards GPS units, but it would be pretty hard to ignore the value and advantages this offers.

Couple of things.

Any chance of having UTM as one of the formats for inputting positions, rather than just various versions of long/lat?

Where are the .gpx files that are being saved hidden? I know they're there, because I can pull them up in the program under the menu option. But I can't find them anywhere in DSmaps/osmand or the three subfolders of that:POI, rendering, tiles.

And about downloaded and caching tiles.... On a fairly regular basis, the track that "picked" the mapsets to be downloaded just ran along the edge of a particular map. So as you're travelling that track, you have lots of map info on one side of you, and just about nothing on the other. For those of us who might want it, is it possible in some future version to set up buffering of the track for picking tiles for downloading/caching? I suspect you might be doing something like that already? Bonus points for being able to pick buffering distance - I'm probably not the only one who spends almost as much time exploring little side trails and abandoned skid roads/exploration roads as I spend riding the main track.

Pretty impressive work you've done here.
Jäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:57 AM   #1676
Jäger
Osons

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
The preferred method is to specify a DSM map and cache just the tiles under the tracks as shown in the videos. Another method is to zoom over an area on the map screen, then Menu => More => Point Options => Download Map. This is the grab everything method but it is not ideal because the volumes of tiles grabbed will get you banned from every map server I know of. YOU MAY NOT BE ABLE TO DOWNLOAD MAPS EVER AGAIN ON THAT INTERNET CONNECTION IF YOU USE THIS FEATURE. NO MORE GOOGLE MAPS EVER AGAIN. BE WARNED, THIS IS A DANGEROUS TOOL.
So Crafty... does this include non-Google maps as well? i.e. government mapsets like USGS and Canada Topo? Do you have those mapsets stored on your servers and process them there, or do you pull them from a government mapserver and then tile them on your servers?

Asking because, if government topo mapsets like those are being pulled from your servers, then would we still have to keep being ostracized in mind when downloading map tiles?

Speaking only for myself, my interest in maps is pretty much focused on topo maps like USGS and the NRCAN mapsets. And the maze of trails and abandoned roads where I ride and whatnot make downloading areas instead of tracks through the areas a lot more useful.

Quote:
The OSM maps are not satellite photos. They are not Google map tiles. Whenever those are viewed on your phone however, they are stored for future use. If you've seen a tile once in the app you will be able to see it again offline (assuming you have not deleted it).
Are you saying that if we scroll through an area and view it in DSM, then it is stored/cached until such time as we delete it, without any further action on our part? And if so, is that only true for the OSM mapsets?

Quote:
Those tiles can be cached two different ways and I've described both in this forum.
Because this last part seems to suggest if you want a map tile available for offline viewing, you have to download it one of those two ways.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:00 AM   #1677
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

If you download tiles via the track method, I do it slowly and reasonably safely. If you use the way I warn against it may be hazardous to your health. YMMV. It applies to all map servers I know of (as I stated in the original post). Any tile you look at is cached for later use, so there are 3 ways to cache tiles I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jäger View Post
So Crafty... does this include non-Google maps as well? i.e. government mapsets like USGS and Canada Topo? Do you have those mapsets stored on your servers and process them there, or do you pull them from a government mapserver and then tile them on your servers?

Asking because, if government topo mapsets like those are being pulled from your servers, then would we still have to keep being ostracized in mind when downloading map tiles?

Speaking only for myself, my interest in maps is pretty much focused on topo maps like USGS and the NRCAN mapsets. And the maze of trails and abandoned roads where I ride and whatnot make downloading areas instead of tracks through the areas a lot more useful.

Are you saying that if we scroll through an area and view it in DSM, then it is stored/cached until such time as we delete it, without any further action on our part? And if so, is that only true for the OSM mapsets?

Because this last part seems to suggest if you want a map tile available for offline viewing, you have to download it one of those two ways.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:06 AM   #1678
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

The tracks are in a osmand/tracks folder on all my devices. I'm not sure why you cannot see it, but if you can find them on the phone that is where I look for them so they must be there.

There is UTM layer so you can create waypoints with UTM on the screen rather than L/L but I still store it as L/L in the end. I don't advise anyone to use the app as a dataentry device. Use the website, its so much more user friendly.

Quote:
Hi Crafty:

Have put the Trimble Junos and Garmins aside for a while to mess around with the app. I'm pretty heavily tilted towards GPS units, but it would be pretty hard to ignore the value and advantages this offers.

Couple of things.

Any chance of having UTM as one of the formats for inputting positions, rather than just various versions of long/lat?

Where are the .gpx files that are being saved hidden? I know they're there, because I can pull them up in the program under the menu option. But I can't find them anywhere in DSmaps/osmand or the three subfolders of that:POI, rendering, tiles.

And about downloaded and caching tiles.... On a fairly regular basis, the track that "picked" the mapsets to be downloaded just ran along the edge of a particular map. So as you're travelling that track, you have lots of map info on one side of you, and just about nothing on the other. For those of us who might want it, is it possible in some future version to set up buffering of the track for picking tiles for downloading/caching? I suspect you might be doing something like that already? Bonus points for being able to pick buffering distance - I'm probably not the only one who spends almost as much time exploring little side trails and abandoned skid roads/exploration roads as I spend riding the main track.

Pretty impressive work you've done here.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:24 AM   #1679
Jäger
Osons

Downloading area tiles instead of track tiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
If you download tiles via the track method, I do it slowly and reasonably safely. If you use the way I warn against it may be hazardous to your health. YMMV. It applies to all map servers I know of (as I stated in the original post).
Understood. The technical aspects of where and how you get the non-Google mapsets interests me somewhat as we fooled around with the first rudimentary IMS setups back in 2004 when I was finishing my geomatics degree. Back then, Google Earth was still a semi-secret government military project called Keyhole being developed by private contractors, and if you wanted an IMS setup, you needed to use ESRI's IMS software wrapped around Apache software, build your own maps from the layers available from the government or your own data, etc. It was a lot of fun (and hair pulling) back then, and I haven't done it since.

There certainly weren't IMS servers out there with third parties making openly available the entire government topo mapping geodatabase i.e. NRCAN's raster and vector maps, the USGS, etc. Amazing how far we've come in eight or nine years. Which was why I wondered if you'd had to download the entire topo map geodatabase from Canada and the US to your servers in order to have it available for tiling on client demand. And following that, if you had, is why I wondered if the delivery method still put a client at risk if they requested a data dump.

Quote:
Any tile you look at is cached for later use, so there are 3 ways to cache tiles I suppose.
Food for thought on the issue of wanting an area tiled versus a track tiled.

So following along with that, if I ask DSM to "cache selected map tiles" for the selected maps/tracks following a search, it downloads all the tiles down
my specified Max Zoom Level, correct. That is, if my Max Zoom Level is 15, then all tiles from whatever the minimum is, down as fine as 15.

If one were to use the point method of doing an area download that you've very clearly warned to use with great restraint and at your own risk, does that also download the full range of map tiles, rather than just the tiles at the current zoom level? I assume yes, because that is what would lead to the excessive demands for map tiles, correct?

And moving right along, if you're using the "scroll around on your phone" method to cache map tiles in an area rather than for a track, does that also cache all tiles at all levels within the field of view of the screen? Or in this example, are only the tiles at the current zoom level downloaded and cached? I'm thinking this only caches the current zoom level because otherwise an errant scroll while at zoom level 9 or 10 or whatnot would result in the very demand for excessive amounts of map tiles that we need to avoid?

My wife just came home with a Galaxy Tab a few days ago and is looking for an offline solution for her practice as a registered landscape architect and environmental planner. Working mostly out in the sticks as she does, there ain't no Wi-Fi and there ain't no data service. Up until now, it's been a Microsoft laptop with Arcmap installed, a map .mxd with topo shapefiles and orthophotos, etc. Hoofing around in the bush with a laptop and about $20,000 worth of software and a few hours of map making involved to create the map in the first place. DSM on this Tab of hers and a Garmin stuffed in her shirt pocket is looking to me like a much simpler, easier to handle, and far cheaper solution.

Not just for mechanized transport... cool! Terrasynch, creaters of the GeoPdf format that the USGS has picked up, offers a somewhat similar solution to what you do. But check out the costs of the hardware and software involved to actually produce those maps and mapbooks. One big reason I helped develop for Terrasynch, but don't own or use the product - too much investment in software involved.

Yep, the more I see your product the more impressed I am, Crafty. Especially considering you don't have a GIS background and/or a GIS guy or two hanging around to help with the development. Your product is right up there with what Trimble, Terrasynch, etc are offering - and for you it's mostly just a hobby (well, maybe obsession).
Old 05-19-2013, 08:33 AM   #1680
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

I believe it downloads all zoom levels up to max but you can confirm for yourself easy enough.

I do this essentially so I can ride. A hobby out of necessity (my Zumo sucked and the Montana didn't exist yet).

Quote:
Yep, the more I see your product the more impressed I am, Crafty. Especially considering you don't have a GIS background and/or a GIS guy or two hanging around to help with the development. Your product is right up there with what Trimble, Terrasynch, etc are offering - and for you it's mostly just a hobby (well, maybe obsession).