Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #1681
Jäger
Osons

Oddometer: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
The tracks are in a osmand/tracks folder on all my devices. I'm not sure why you cannot see it, but if you can find them on the phone that is where I look for them so they must be there.
I seem to be in a situation of "know thy Android"...

Have been working on my new phone and it's files by plugging it into the computer and then viewing folders and files, moving, deleting, etc with the computer seeing it as a USB storage device. So, looking at the memory structure of the phone through Windows, couldn't see a "Tracks" folder anywhere. Searching the entire phone for either a "Tracks" folder or searching for the .gpx files turned up nothing.

After your comment above, installed an Android file manager on the phone, and there is indeed a "Tracks" folder with those .gpx files. Problem is, it is in the wrong place. So the path I've specified to my Osmand folder in DSM is working to cache my map files on my SD memory card as I want - but it is putting the "Tracks" folder and its .gpx contents on an Osmand folder in the internal memory. Now how the hell does that work???

The directory path I'm currently caching the "tracks" folder in shows in the file manager as /mnt/sdcard/dsmaps/osmand

The directory path my US and Canada map tiles are being cached to and retrieved from shows in the file manager as /mnt/extSdCard/dsmaps/osmand

The storage directory path I currently have entered in DSM settings is /sdcard/dsmaps That setting was my third attempt that finally worked after trying /mnt/extsdcard/dsmaps, and another mentioned earlier here with an -ext extension on the end. Samsung so far has been less than helpful in providing what they say is the proper syntax to map a path to the SDcard for any app.

I didn't expect my current directory path to work at all in finding the folder on the SDcard, but it does. What is confusing is that it works for caching and retrieving map tiles to the SDcard, but not for creating a "tracks" folder on that same SDcard and putting the .gpx files in there.

Yet another email to Samsung and more trial and error with the directory path within DSM, I guess.

Quote:
There is UTM layer so you can create waypoints with UTM on the screen rather than L/L but I still store it as L/L in the end. I don't advise anyone to use the app as a dataentry device. Use the website, its so much more user friendly.
Missing the UTM layer method. I do see UTM coordinates once in a while, but I'm thinking of the "specify point" option in the menu which shows only long/lat. My intent was to use that to specify points of interest in an area I was going to be in.... say, the corners of the boundaries of a wildlife management unit.

Anyways, that provides some stuff to chew on. Have to see if I can get that directory path issue sorted out.

Thanks Crafty.
Jäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:28 AM   #1682
Jäger
Osons

Quote:
I believe it downloads all zoom levels up to max but you can confirm for yourself easy enough.
If downloading too many tiles at once runs you the risk of getting forevermore banned from IMS servers forever, I'm not sure tiles cached as a result of scrolling do go all the way to the max. I've done a lot of scrolling around at lower zoom levels while on a Wi-Fi connection and searching for something, and I still seem to be able to download requested map tiles. I would think I would have gotten the boot by this time...

I will find a virgin area I haven't looked at yet, scroll in there, and then see how far up the zoom tree tiles are downloaded to.

Quote:
I do this essentially so I can ride. A hobby out of necessity (my Zumo sucked and the Montana didn't exist yet).
And here I am pretty happy with my Garmin Rino - the Juno doesn't even go out on rides very often, and those things have everything in them but birth control for about the same size as a smartphone. Data plans and cell service don't mean much around here - access to both of them pretty much ends about the time you roll out of town into the mountains.

Regardless, there's lots of happy campers out there because GPS units didn't do what you wanted them to.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:33 AM   #1683
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,204
Try going to app info for Dual Sport Maps and look for a button to "move to sdcard". I'm not an Android expert I'm afraid so I'm not of much help here. I learn what I need to in order to do what I want. Tracks will never be very large, so there isn't a good reason to move them anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jäger View Post
I seem to be in a situation of "know thy Android"...

Have been working on my new phone and it's files by plugging it into the computer and then viewing folders and files, moving, deleting, etc with the computer seeing it as a USB storage device. So, looking at the memory structure of the phone through Windows, couldn't see a "Tracks" folder anywhere. Searching the entire phone for either a "Tracks" folder or searching for the .gpx files turned up nothing.

After your comment above, installed an Android file manager on the phone, and there is indeed a "Tracks" folder with those .gpx files. Problem is, it is in the wrong place. So the path I've specified to my Osmand folder in DSM is working to cache my map files on my SD memory card as I want - but it is putting the "Tracks" folder and its .gpx contents on an Osmand folder in the internal memory. Now how the hell does that work???

The directory path I'm currently caching the "tracks" folder in shows in the file manager as /mnt/sdcard/dsmaps/osmand

The directory path my US and Canada map tiles are being cached to and retrieved from shows in the file manager as /mnt/extSdCard/dsmaps/osmand

The storage directory path I currently have entered in DSM settings is /sdcard/dsmaps That setting was my third attempt that finally worked after trying /mnt/extsdcard/dsmaps, and another mentioned earlier here with an -ext extension on the end. Samsung so far has been less than helpful in providing what they say is the proper syntax to map a path to the SDcard for any app.

I didn't expect my current directory path to work at all in finding the folder on the SDcard, but it does. What is confusing is that it works for caching and retrieving map tiles to the SDcard, but not for creating a "tracks" folder on that same SDcard and putting the .gpx files in there.

Yet another email to Samsung and more trial and error with the directory path within DSM, I guess.

Missing the UTM layer method. I do see UTM coordinates once in a while, but I'm thinking of the "specify point" option in the menu which shows only long/lat. My intent was to use that to specify points of interest in an area I was going to be in.... say, the corners of the boundaries of a wildlife management unit.

Anyways, that provides some stuff to chew on. Have to see if I can get that directory path issue sorted out.

Thanks Crafty.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:15 PM   #1684
Jäger
Osons

Quote:
Try going to app info for Dual Sport Maps and look for a button to "move to sdcard". I'm not an Android expert I'm afraid so I'm not of much help here. I learn what I need to in order to do what I want. Tracks will never be very large, so there isn't a good reason to move them anyway...
It seems the syntax for a path to the SD card varies with the hardware platfom. Kinda pathetic that the manufacturers would have all kinds of stuff about using an SD card for storage in their user documentation, but wouldn't bother providing the path to enter in the apps to get there.

Anyways, between repetitively harassing Samsung's customer service for the info, and experimentation with the syntax for the path, I think I'll have it worked out pretty quickly.

Yeah, the track .gpx files are small and now I know where they are. But I'd rather have everything where it belongs, in one place, altogether. Especially in a visible folder where I can just retrieve data through the USB/computer interface.

Thanks Crafty
Old 05-29-2013, 05:59 AM   #1685
Queen of Spades
tall drink of water

Oddometer: 749
I haven't authenticated in a while and forgot my username to go with the password reset I received. Is there a username reminder tool on the website? If not, I am stuck.. or is the username reminder "Create New Account" with different email address?
Old 05-29-2013, 06:40 AM   #1686
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Spades View Post
I haven't authenticated in a while and forgot my username to go with the password reset I received. Is there a username reminder tool on the website? If not, I am stuck.. or is the username reminder "Create New Account" with different email address?
If you try to create an account with the old email, I'm pretty sure it will tell you the old username. You can email your email address and I'll look it up for you though.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:34 PM   #1687
Queen of Spades
tall drink of water

Oddometer: 749
Quote:
If you try to create an account with the old email, I'm pretty sure it will tell you the old username. You can email your email address and I'll look it up for you though.
Here's what is sent with the pw reminder. Haven't tried registering with the existing email, assumed that would not work.
admin@dualsportmaps.com
8:53 AM (10 hours ago)

to me

Click here to reset lost password.
Edit. Attempted to create a new account with existing email address - it does in fact show who's username is attached to the email I entered.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:15 PM   #1688
speedmonkey7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone has used the Garmin GLO with their phone or tablet and this app? I did do a search or 12 but didn't find anything. I am thinking it would help the horrid battery life of my phone while GPS is on, and be much more accurate in the boonies! What do you all think? Here it is :
http://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-GLO.aspx

droided it

"Ride with caution . And be thankful cagers are slightly more predictable than marsupials."
-XRman (fellow inmate)
speedmonkey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:52 AM   #1689
speedmonkey7
Gnarly Adventurer

Huh, nobody? Guess I'll have to be the guinea pig

blame it on the droid

"Ride with caution . And be thankful cagers are slightly more predictable than marsupials."
-XRman (fellow inmate)
Old 06-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #1690
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmonkey7 View Post
Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone has used the Garmin GLO with their phone or tablet and this app? I did do a search or 12 but didn't find anything. I am thinking it would help the horrid battery life of my phone while GPS is on, and be much more accurate in the boonies! What do you all think? Here it is :
http://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-GLO.aspx

droided it
I suggest you just plug your phone in while you ride. You will need to confirm that your on bike charger is charging in high current mode though. The best way to do that is just use the in car charger provided by the phone manufacturer. Alternately, you can use a current clamp meter on your standard inside charger and then try out some fancier generic car chargers until you find one that draws a similar amount of current. The cheap car chargers will only provide a trickle charge and your phone will die on you.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #1691
speedmonkey7
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I suggest you just plug your phone in while you ride. You will need to confirm that your on bike charger is charging in high current mode though. The best way to do that is just use the in car charger provided by the phone manufacturer. Alternately, you can use a current clamp meter on your standard inside charger and then try out some fancier generic car chargers until you find one that draws a similar amount of current. The cheap car chargers will only provide a trickle charge and your phone will die on you.
Ok. That is easy enough. Do you think there is any advantage to the stronger GPS antenna on the GLO vs the phone's? I just bought a Samsung Rugby Pro. Sorry if these are silly questions, I am a complete and total noob with GPS doohickies.
:

blame it on the droid

-XRman (fellow inmate)
Old 06-03-2013, 12:28 PM   #1692
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

I do not think there is any use in super fancy antenna personally. My phone has great GPS performance outside.

Quote:
Ok. That is easy enough. Do you think there is any advantage to the stronger GPS antenna on the GLO vs the phone's? I just bought a Samsung Rugby Pro. Sorry if these are silly questions, I am a complete and total noob with GPS doohickies.
:

blame it on the droid
Old 06-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #1693
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,267
For charging I use the burnsmoto USB connection to the chair g cable of your choice. I even picked up a cable with a 90deg at the phone end to keep wires tucked into my ram phone cradle.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:57 PM   #1694
speedmonkey7
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
For charging I use the burnsmoto USB connection to the chair g cable of your choice. I even picked up a cable with a 90deg at the phone end to keep wires tucked into my ram phone cradle.
Sounds good, where did you get the 90 degree ended wire?

Quote:
I do not think there is any use in super fancy antenna personally. My phone has great GPS performance outside.
Thanks crafty, I'll just try the phone's GPS then and see what happens. I'll be downloading the app as soon as I get the new phone.

blame it on the droid

-XRman (fellow inmate)
Old 06-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #1695
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,267
Quote:
Sounds good, where did you get the 90 degree ended wire?
amazon. 90 degree or right angle charging cable. Of course, the mini or micro connector for your phone and I'm sure they come in less than 3' which is still WAYYY to long with the 6' of cable that comes with the burns moto adapter.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote