Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2013, 03:30 PM   #1696
NHBill
Loosely Wrapped

Oddometer: 1,434
Try this from Powerlet. I think that they have a right angle micro usb adapter too. Use it with my phone when riding and it will charge the phone to a full charge even when using the app to navigate.
"There's a very fine line dividing bravery from stupidity..."
2009 F650GS
NHBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:11 AM   #1697
speedmonkey7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBill View Post
Try this from Powerlet. I think that they have a right angle micro usb adapter too. Use it with my phone when riding and it will charge the phone to a full charge even when using the app to navigate.
Hmm choices, choices. That looks good too! :

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk 2

"Ride with caution . And be thankful cagers are slightly more predictable than marsupials."
-XRman (fellow inmate)
speedmonkey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:22 PM   #1698
Queen of Spades
tall drink of water

Oddometer: 838
I created a route in Google Maps by adding destinations, then modifying by using the white circle & blue lines. I then generated a GPX of this data using: http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/

The resulting GPX file contains Lat/Long as well as turn-by-turn instructions. It is very detailed.

I saved this file, then opened in DSM.

DSM loads the GPX file, but the route does not look the same -- the loaded GPX file seems to be missing several steps. My route takes me around Stone Mountain, but DSM shows me going *over* the mountain.

CC would it be helpful for you to see my source GPX?
Old 06-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #1699
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,223
You are really doing it wrong QoS. Too many unknown quantities there I think. If you have source tracks import them into the website, confirm the tracks are as you like and then sync your website maps to the app using the "Download My Maps" menu item on the Search screen. They will transfer over exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Spades View Post
I created a route in Google Maps by adding destinations, then modifying by using the white circle & blue lines. I then generated a GPX of this data using: http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/

The resulting GPX file contains Lat/Long as well as turn-by-turn instructions. It is very detailed.

I saved this file, then opened in DSM.

DSM loads the GPX file, but the route does not look the same -- the loaded GPX file seems to be missing several steps. My route takes me around Stone Mountain, but DSM shows me going *over* the mountain.

CC would it be helpful for you to see my source GPX?
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:50 PM   #1700
Queen of Spades
tall drink of water

EDIT - got it. I logged in, uploaded my source GPX and am now editing on your site. Perfect. Like the Snap to Road feature.

Queen of Spades screwed with this post 06-08-2013 at 07:57 PM
Queen of Spades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #1701
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

The dualsportmaps.com website has superior track creating tools to Google Maps I think. At least for what we are using it for. Watch my videos on youtube for instructions.

Quote:
I was hoping something existed that would allow me to replicate the off-device functionality in Google Maps (creating directions, and modifying them by pulling the blue line), and import the resulting route/track in DSM.

I understand I'm going about it backwards, but it would be nice to create routes by hand. Google maps makes this easy. As of now they don't have an easy way of exporting the data. Even when I do get a decent GPX reproduction.. can't use it.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #1702
Queen of Spades
tall drink of water

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
The dualsportmaps.com website has superior track creating tools to Google Maps I think.
Affirmative. Your site actually works better. Got my track created & downloaded to the Droid. All set for riding tomorrow.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:52 AM   #1703
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Affirmative. Your site actually works better. Got my track created & downloaded to the Droid. All set for riding tomorrow.

Let me know how it goes over there *I was BBQing at the big rock yesterday*. The only place I have to ride in Atlanta is at the Old Atlanta Prison farm which is adjacent to a police academy. Not the ideal place to ride illegally.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #1704
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,694
gps track visible??

Is there a way to display my track as I ride?

--GoProHero Helmet Cam!--http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=utahkev&aq=f
5 deserts:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post15462553
KTM 520 (plated), Wee-Strom (commuter bike)
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #1705
Queen of Spades
tall drink of water

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post

Let me know how it goes over there *I was BBQing at the big rock yesterday*. The only place I have to ride in Atlanta is at the Old Atlanta Prison farm which is adjacent to a police academy. Not the ideal place to ride illegally.
Email sent.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:31 PM   #1706
RonMN
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Overlay errors on website

Not sure if this is the best place or not, but Crafty seems to frequent here :)

I'm working on Overlays of trail maps in the Black Hills of SD. I have done a couple in the past, but for some reason now when I try and do a single image overlay I get a " 'directory' is not a directory" error for my KMZ.

I have tried everything I can think of.. I then made a multiple image overlay on Google Earth with 9 maps. This worked fine.. (Right clicked the folder in Google Earth and did "Save Place as.." This is the same I do with a single, but for some strange reason it works fine now.

I tested this by updating to 2013 maps (again all 9 maps) .. and it uploaded fine.

I then took a single overlay and put it in a folder like I was doing them all.. but it once again failed.

Any ideas? Not sure whats going on.

Ron
RonMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #1707
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by GISkev View Post
Is there a way to display my track as I ride?
There is a layer called "Active Log". Turn it on.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #1708
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Email me the KMZ and I'll tell you what I know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMN View Post
I'm working on Overlays of trail maps in the Black Hills of SD. I have done a couple in the past, but for some reason now when I try and do a single image overlay I get a " 'directory' is not a directory" error for my KMZ.

Ron
Old 06-10-2013, 08:47 AM   #1709
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,694
Custom Map overlays?

Can someone tell me how I can make my own map overlays?

--GoProHero Helmet Cam!--http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=utahkev&aq=f
5 deserts:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post15462553
KTM 520 (plated), Wee-Strom (commuter bike)
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:55 AM   #1710
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by GISkev View Post
Can someone tell me how I can make my own map overlays?
You start with a map. If it is a JPG that is ideal. If it's a PDF, then I extract the image from the PDF using a program called GIMP. I usually extract it as a jpg at very high resolution > 10,000 pixels on the long side. I then crop off all the crap along the edges that I do not want.

At that point I have two options. One is to use Google Earth to rectify the image (align it to the globe). I almost always do not do this as Google Earth sucks for this process and is nearly impossible to use with large images that allow the overlays to be useful. Instead, I use a program called Global Mapper to do this which is very good at rectifying large images. Global Mapper then can export directly to KMZ (google earth file) which dualsportmaps.com accepts as an input for custom overlays. Download the overlay to your app and you are done.

I've done much of Georgia, Arizona, and the Rockies already like this. Having county maps and MVUMs while I'm riding is HUGE and my favorite part of the app.