Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2013, 08:34 AM   #1756
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,203
You would never download a zipfile from the website in order to view a map in the app. There is a search button on the map screen. Push it and all tracks on the website that are on the screen will be loaded onto your phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommu56 View Post
Im missing some thing

I can make tracks on web site
I downloaded Zip file but what is the pass word to open it??

were do I put it in my phone to use it?

what is the password to unzip it??
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:55 AM   #1757
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
I've said it several times now. The tile caching the the track downloading are completely unrelated. If you cached tiles for a set of tracks, deleting the tracks does NOT do anything to the tiles. If you download the tracks you still have the tiles. Downloading tracks is roughly instantaneous. Therefore, I stand by my original point of view.
Yeah, I know that, I restored my listing of my maps with the simple steps you gave me in seconds, so it is obvious to me that the tiles are still there when I checked the tracks on screen. Plus I drilled down and looked at the tiles on the card right after I deleted the listing. I know a track is a small file, I can see that by looking at it. I know the tiles are still cached after deleting my "maps," I can see that my SD card is still at 100%. I understand the relationship of tiles to a track. I've been using DSM for over a year, alongside Garmins. Pressed a button by accident.

What I don't know is why it is so easy to lose an entire listing of tracks with a single errant button push, and why I need to zoom around the country to get the listing back while connected to the site. What if this mistake happens in the field on a multi-day trip? a nag screen on a seldom used button (a button that is likely never intentionally used in the field BTW!) is a small price to pay for insurance against such a calamity, isn't it?

Now if I can just figure out how to pare down the number of tiles to get my card working with the app again so the vector maps load, I'll be good to go (for my maps anyway). I know deleting a map doesn't do that, that is what got me in this mess in the first place. I guess I will try removing one of the folders holding all tiles for a specific map type.
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:56 AM   #1758
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

App updated: Version 0.2.24

Stu, I've updated the app and added the "nag" screen. You hit me where it hurts with the website comment. I got 900,000+ hits last month and still cannot get y'all to cover the relatively modest bills. That is the internet for you though...

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. It's an improvement for some and a minor inconvenience for the rest of us.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:21 AM   #1759
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,266
Quote:
You would never download a zipfile from the website in order to view a map in the app. There is a search button on the map screen. Push it and all tracks on the website that are on the screen will be loaded onto your phone.

Ok i see the track in the list but were do i go from here ?
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:24 AM   #1760
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Ok i see the track in the list but were do i go from here ?
I don't really understand the issue you are facing. Did you watch the videos? Maybe they will clear things up for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7kd_...KFzG67&index=1
Old 07-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #1761
Joker_-_
2002 BMW R1150GSA

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
[...]I got 900,000+ hits last month and still cannot get y'all to cover the relatively modest bills. [...]
Have you ever tough about mirrors, load ballancing, etc. I bet many inmates here would be more than happy to help out with bandwidth issues. I know I would.

IMO, you should at least cover your bills with this project, wich is usefull and appreciated.

Roads
? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
Joker_-_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:02 AM   #1762
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_-_ View Post
Have you ever tough about mirrors, load ballancing, etc. I bet many inmates here would be more than happy to help out with bandwidth issues. I know I would.

IMO, you should at least cover your bills with this project, wich is usefull and appreciated.
The site isn't static and hosting a mirror would not be a trivial endeavor at all. The solution is for people to hop on the "DSM is great and I want to support it" bandwagon. I have about 10 subscribers now. With 300 the site would be self sustaining, so we have a long ways to go. I'm not doing a good job marketing it and I am not offering any extra value for the subscribers. It's pretty much a prisoner's dilemma which does not bode well for the site in the long term. Everyone thinks they are doing themselves a favor by not kicking in the $10 to keep it alive but ultimately that will be the downfall of the whole thing. There is not profit motive here so it is pretty hard to want to invest a lot more time and resources to try to get the beneficiaries of my hard work to lend a hand. Honestly I don't think about it much. Come November though, the site is likely to face another Google caused crisis and I've not received the support I require to deal with it. We shall see how that plays out.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #1763
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I don't really understand the issue you are facing. Did you watch the videos? Maybe they will clear things up for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7kd_...KFzG67&index=1
I never saw these videos just the ones on dual sport maps page ill watch them

Thanks

tom
Old 07-26-2013, 12:33 PM   #1764
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
I never saw these videos just the ones on dual sport maps page ill watch them

Thanks

tom
No worries. I'm not very good a getting documentation written or delivered. I charge the $20 to scare people away from using the app to save me the trouble of needing to explain it. When I started the app it was just for personal use but friends complained that I shouldn't keep it to myself and now there is a large constituency who relies on it. I now know why Garmin charges >$400 a unit. It's a lot of work keeping the lights on and everyone happy.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:36 PM   #1765
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Stu, I've updated the app and added the "nag" screen. You hit me where it hurts with the website comment. I got 900,000+ hits last month and still cannot get y'all to cover the relatively modest bills. That is the internet for you though...

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. It's an improvement for some and a minor inconvenience for the rest of us.
Thanks for your patience. And the update. Now I can safely hand it to folks again and show the search feature. 1st question I was asked was how to hide all the tracks that popped up, as our area is track rich. I gingerly took the phone back and showed how, cuz that DAM button was a hazard for sure, as my buddy's fingers are literally fat. :-)

Anyway, disappointing to hear of the contributions and yet another November surprise. I think my $20 or $30 whatever it was is about right if every user (maybe only downloaders?) HAD to pay, but no need to rehash the NPR model discussion. I'm fine with you publishing a list of users that have paid with amounts, sorta a reverse NPR mug gift? :-)

I have touted the genius of this app (and obviously you) to all that will listen, including a DS club of several hundred members just this week.

Ultimately though I am disappointed with the smartphone platform. My GPS chipset is poor, display is lacking in sunlight, and poor charging options are a drag.

In September I am looking forward to running DSM on the Monterra. Could be best of both worlds, with Garmin as a backup.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:39 PM   #1766
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

My phone's GPS is badass. It even works in a plane. My Garmin couldn't do that. The screen does suck though, I agree. Where I live I am under canopy so it's not a big deal but back home in the desert it would be tough.

I'd really like to get my software loaded on one of TrailTech's units. Those things are awesome!
Old 07-26-2013, 01:23 PM   #1767
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
My phone's GPS is badass. It even works in a plane. My Garmin couldn't do that. The screen does suck though, I agree. Where I live I am under canopy so it's not a big deal but back home in the desert it would be tough.

I'd really like to get my software loaded on one of TrailTech's units. Those things are awesome!
Interesting. It's my understanding that the Montana/Monterra GPS chipset will be optimum cuz it's a dedicated device, but that could just be its fanboys blabbing. It'd better be for $650. I bought this milspec phone specifically for DSM and thought it would have given me a good GPS, I was wrong. Will be doing some side by side comparison come September. It loses its fix and doesn't get it back unless I ask it to, which is a bit hazardous while riding.

BTW, I'm waiting for your remote still. Saw your latest posting re it. I'm not going to balk at $200 when I am ready to power a tablet for ADV riding when I retire next year. I'll have more $ than riding time left at my age, and the eyes aren't getting any better.

well...back to my vector maps not loading problem...guess I am the first to get the card full error message while caching? that's what I get for being greedy
Old 07-26-2013, 02:02 PM   #1768
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
No worries. I'm not very good a getting documentation written or delivered. I charge the $20 to scare people away from using the app to save me the trouble of needing to explain it. When I started the app it was just for personal use but friends complained that I shouldn't keep it to myself and now there is a large constituency who relies on it. I now know why Garmin charges >$400 a unit. It's a lot of work keeping the lights on and everyone happy.
Video great help!

When I try to. Download language all I see are map files.
I can't see to filter to the en-txt files or figure how to get them.

I hope you can keep this app alive it is good my learning curve is still on the up swing but I am really liking what I can do so far
Were do I donate more cash to help the cause?

Tom

fat fingered on a droid
Old 07-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #1769
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...psf78f95fd.jpg

Screen shot when trying to load language
fat fingered on a torque

Tom
Old 07-28-2013, 02:24 PM   #1770
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...psf78f95fd.jpg

Screen shot when trying to load language
fat fingered on a torque

Tom
It looks like I don't have the voice files online anymore. I'll see if I can find them. In the mean time, please bear in mind that they are not exactly super useful as the audio routing capabilities of the app are not anywhere near as nice as google navigator which is free. I only use DSM for off-road tracks. Google has the on road nav thing nailed already.