Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2013, 04:26 PM   #1771
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
It looks like I don't have the voice files online anymore. I'll see if I can find them. In the mean time, please bear in mind that they are not exactly super useful as the audio routing capabilities of the app are not anywhere near as nice as google navigator which is free. I only use DSM for off-road tracks. Google has the on road nav thing nailed already.
I haven't been able to make good tracks on Google navigator and the latest update to Google maps on my phone sucks even worse than computer

fat fingered on a droid
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #1772
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommu56 View Post
I haven't been able to make good tracks on Google navigator and the latest update to Google maps on my phone sucks even worse than computer

fat fingered on a droid
FUCK YES to this. Google maps used to be my go to app for searching for anything. Since the update it's a clunky useless piece of crap. DAMN IT GOOGLE!

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:35 PM   #1773
Scrutinizer
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Voice files.

So I recently bought the app b/c it looks like just what I've been searching for. Very impressed so far.

I've been watching some of the videos to try and get myself up to speed on how the app functions. To use the navigation I gather I need voice files, which the videos lead me to believe are available in the 'download vector maps' subfolder of the 'Data for offline usage' settings. There do not appear to be any voice files available for download. Is there some setting somewhere I need to check to have the phone look for voice files?

Secondly: Are there any written instructions for the app? The videos are useful, but I'd prefer some sort of documentation that I don't have to sit through and then re-wind at key points to determine how to access certain features.

edit: Also, is there some way to have the phone cache all the map tiles necessary for a route, or do I need to go along the route manually and download the files section by section?

reedit: Figured out the answer to my edit question. For future searchers: Start Screen -> Settings -> Search -> Settings (the three dot button on top-right for my Galaxy Nexus running 4.3) -> Cache selected map tiles.

Scrutinizer screwed with this post 07-31-2013 at 05:41 PM
Scrutinizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:04 PM   #1774
BillMoore
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
I've had the app for maybe 6 months now, but had never really used it until this past weekend. My wife and I did part of the WABDR, and I had my android phone mounted to my handlebars with a bicycle mount. The mount cost a whopping $20 at REI, and includes a waterproof bag (that I reduced the waterproofness of by punching a hole in it to run a charger cable through, but it still kept my phone dry in 90 miles of drenching rain). I downloaded the maps for WA and the GPX tracks for the WABDR, and the dualsportmaps app made navigation totally a breeze.

It is easier to use, and has a much more intuitive user interface than my Garmin 60CS that I also took along as a backup but never needed (and never even turned on). The screen on my phone is much larger than the screen on the Garmin, and having a touch screen makes it so much easier to use on a bike. At any point during the ride, just a glance down at the phone would confirm that I was on track, and which way to go at every intersection.

My only suggestion for improvement would be to make the screen rotation setting persistent. Maybe it is just my phone, but I found that if I had to leave the map page for any reason, when I returned, the rotation setting was back to "Don't rotate", but I much prefer it in direction of travel.

Love the app, and will be recommending it to all of my friends!!!
Old 08-05-2013, 11:37 PM   #1775
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,177
There is a don't rotate setting in there somewhere. So glad you enjoy the app. Ride on bud!
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:17 AM   #1776
Midlife
HalFassed

Oddometer: 69
Crafty - I'm amazed (but confused ;- )

Incredible piece of work - I wish I had a tenth of your talent (and you engineered music in a former life too? cool). Love the music in video#2!

I've been signed up for a while and bought the android app - honestly just used it for the first time. I've watched the video's but my OLD (same as ADD but for old pharts). Having 3 issues that I can't work through.

1 - I can't figure out how to make the topo layer available off - line as in your vid, my S3 does not show the same menu's.

2 - when reloading offline data I get the error "the version of 'Basemap.obf' is not supported.

3 - When I use the search tool, I see an offline error - device is on wifi, I'm set up on the android and the website. Error says "An Error Occurred. Are you online? If so the server may be having issues. Server Error PWC2764: create session. Too many active sessions."

Thanks Crafty - see you in the trails of N GA sometime!

2008 KTM 990 Adventure, and a bunch of dream bikes in my head.
Midlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #1777
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

1. From the main screen, Search. Then select the maps you want the topo layer for and click the menu button (the 3 vertical dots near the upper right corner on my phone) and click Cache Selected Map Tiles. Select the topo layer and Download Map Tiles.

2. This means that you likely have OSMAnd also installed and unfortunately their maps are no longer compatible with my app. You need to delete the obf files in the /osmand folder and redownload the maps you want from my repository.

3. The server was broken this morning for some reason. I just fixed it. Sorry about the error there.

4. I had a baby girl this morning, WOOT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlife View Post
Incredible piece of work - I wish I had a tenth of your talent (and you engineered music in a former life too? cool). Love the music in video#2!

I've been signed up for a while and bought the android app - honestly just used it for the first time. I've watched the video's but my OLD (same as ADD but for old pharts). Having 3 issues that I can't work through.

1 - I can't figure out how to make the topo layer available off - line as in your vid, my S3 does not show the same menu's.

2 - when reloading offline data I get the error "the version of 'Basemap.obf' is not supported.

3 - When I use the search tool, I see an offline error - device is on wifi, I'm set up on the android and the website. Error says "An Error Occurred. Are you online? If so the server may be having issues. Server Error PWC2764: create session. Too many active sessions."

Thanks Crafty - see you in the trails of N GA sometime!
Old 08-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #1778
Midlife
HalFassed

Oddometer: 69
Congratulations Crafty!!

4. I had a baby girl this morning, WOOT!![/QUOTE]

God Bless you, Mom, the newest little blessing and your entire family!!!

2008 KTM 990 Adventure, and a bunch of dream bikes in my head.
Midlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:29 AM   #1779
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 574
Congratulations. Say bye bye to your free time ,from the father of a twenty month old and a fifteen year old.
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:32 AM   #1780
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk62cj5 View Post
Congratulations. Say bye bye to your free time ,from the father of a twenty month old and a fifteen year old.
I have a 3.5 year old. The is a reason why DSM is 3 years old is that I couldn't really do anything else but sit and code and DSM was the best idea I had at the time.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #1781
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

Oddometer: 781
Congrats, that's great.
nigelcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:09 AM   #1782
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 1,992
Hey all, just want to throw this out there.

I attempted to help BETA DSM way back when on my old phone, which I finally replaced this weekend. I always had some minor issues with any GPS app, and for some reason DSM and OSM both freaked out randomly due to the GPS losing signal, etc.

I got my new phone, fired up DSM, and it seemed fine. A few days later, GPS problems are back. I search for GPS issues on a S4 (active) revealed that bunch of user had problem with a few other applications making their GPS flaky, and I uninstalled Yahoo Weather, and they problem went away. I think that this may have been my problem all along.

Anyway, new phone is rigged up to the bike, and ready to roll this weekend. Can't wait to dig back into DSM!
Old 08-09-2013, 05:00 AM   #1783
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Website traffic is up

dualsportmaps.com had it's biggest month ever. 3.5 million webserver hits and 12000 visitors. We must be in the thick of motorcycle season.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:38 PM   #1784
speedmonkey7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Hey congrats Crafty! I have a ten month old girl and can't wait to get her riding!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk 2

"Ride with caution . And be thankful cagers are slightly more predictable than marsupials."
-XRman (fellow inmate)
speedmonkey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:45 PM   #1785
kltk1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Noob. Subscribing to the thread.
kltk1 is offline   Reply With Quote