Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2013, 06:53 AM   #1801
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,255
That is very cool. I was on ATT for 12 years and as soon as I ditch them they get the S4 Active. I do want one of those.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
I just got the phone, and haven't tested it with riding glove yet (keep meaning to, but the bike is torn apart for suspension work), but the Galaxy S4 and S4 Active have "High Sensitivity" mode for gloved hands. I have the S4 Active.

My lock screen is "swipe to unlock". With the glove mode OFF, I can run my finger about 1/4 of an inch above the screen, and the screen senses my finger (a pixel trail is displayed below my finger). I hope to have good luck with glove mode on and thinner summer gloves. I'll report back here this weekend, I'll give it a test.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:41 AM   #1802
greenramp
Airborne

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
One of these days Ill get back to that project. I have an idea that should make the remote a $100 item instead of a $200 item.
That would be AWESOME! though i would settle for $150

Sent using tapatalk4
Old 08-16-2013, 09:04 AM   #1803
LoneStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Sorry if this has been asked. I searched and came up with a few options, but I'm considering replacing my Garmin Montana with a phone or tablet. Of course, this app is part of the plan. I have a Samsung GS3, but I want a dedicated phone that lives on my bikes. I'll be replacing a Montana.

My single biggest issue, and the reason I don't already use a phone for GPS is the glove friendly issue. Does a phone exist that is usable with gloves? I know I'm asking too much here, but waterproof is a close second...

That Sony Xperia Active looks interesting, and it comes with a little loop on the bottom to attach a lanyard Looks like more than I'd like to pay though, and well, I'll still need to remove my gloves anytime I want to tweak it which is ALL THE FRIGGIN TIME!
I'm using the xperia active and it is just great. Crafty is right, I have the remote for it and use that a lot. But the phone is easy to use as a stand alone and there are a few things that the remote can't do that you need a finger touch for. I have absolutely abused the poor thing and it is no worse for the wear.

I looked at the Galaxy Active and it doesn't look up to the task so I am staying put with the Sony.

When it is pouring rain I'll shut the little access doors to the power and headphone jacks but they've been open plenty of times and gotten soaked.

Mine is the international version, so I don't get 3G or 4G with ATT service, only EDGE (major suck). So it pretty much lives on my bike and I use WiFi for whatever DSM needs I have.

For dirt riding, I have a pair of gloves that I've snipped the end off of the index finger and that works. For real gloves, you'd probably have to put some conductive thread in a fingertip or something like that. I haven't tried it.

The lanyard is great but not really needed on the bike.
LoneStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:35 AM   #1804
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
and it comes with a little loop on the bottom to attach a lanyard Looks
Not earthshaking, but you can get stick-on loops (that use auto-grade adhesive) for cheap that allow a lanyard on anything.
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #1805
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenramp View Post
That would be AWESOME! though i would settle for $150

Sent using tapatalk4
I will definitely buy one at $100, prolly $150 too, as I could cancel my Earl order and replace it with a lower-priced color tablet. Will the lower-cost version still have its own GPS chip (so the tablet won't need one)? (I think I recall that right.)

With a Monterra, the CC Remote, and a large color tablet, I will have DS, ADV, and street riding covered. Then I will commit to subcribing, provided you kick all freeloaders off or restrict their downloading or something, or maybe even make them watch a 25 second ad each time they log on ;-) JK, I understand your theory, and well said with the Wiki example, BTW.

thanks
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #1806
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,300
glove tips fore phone

I haven't tried them but they look interesting.

http://www.glovetips.com/

http://youtu.be/_Q2V7aniKyM

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Glove...atible_id15028

tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:29 AM   #1807
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,123
Quote:
That is very cool. I was on ATT for 12 years and as soon as I ditch them they get the S4 Active. I do want one of those.
It is a neat phone for sure. There are some known problems with the waterproofing, but I hope to not experience them. I didn't like some of the functions but rooting and a small utility fixed them. I also don't like the power and headphone jack on opposite side and the power button placement, but I will get used to them.

I tested the glove mode and it is not as sensitive as expected, but it definitely works. Some playing will get me dialed in for sure.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:17 AM   #1808
jaydee1445
Footpeg Crash Tester

Oddometer: 3,988
Quote:
My single biggest issue, and the reason I don't already use a phone for GPS is the glove friendly issue. Does a phone exist that is usable with gloves? I know I'm asking too much here, but waterproof is a close second...
The Galaxy note II I just got for the business works good with summer weight gloves. My Moose XCR with leather fingers takes a firm long touch.
jaydee1445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:40 PM   #1809
bogboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
monthly subscriber

I just signed up, I bought a galaxie phone a few months ago for $50 and have been playing around with app. It works awesome, You just have to play with it for while if your not that technical like myself. I have been really enjoying laying out my tour of Colorado using my tracks I made and others. I will be using my garmin as a back up not the other way around. I apologize it took me so long to pay the small fee you're asking for each month.
Congrats on new baby!!
bogboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:17 AM   #1810
capcrazy
what, me worry?

Oddometer: 161
icon pursuit touchscreen gloves. they let me run my s3 just fine. well, except for when they're covered in mud.
1985 Suzuki RM250 (ridden until frame broke in 2001)
1985 Kawasaki KDX 200 (still works)
2005 KTM MXC 450 (titled as a street bike with plates)
2009 KLR 650
capcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:23 AM   #1811
NHBill
Loosely Wrapped

Oddometer: 1,488
website down?
"There's a very fine line dividing bravery from stupidity..."
2009 F650GS
NHBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:49 AM   #1812
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBill View Post
website down?
It crashed. Thanks for the heads up I've got it back online. Sorry for the interruption.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:25 PM   #1813
#1Fan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
A few quick questions. Which tablet would you recommend? I am thinking of the Samsung Galaxy 3 7". Also, when I create my own gpx with Google Earth and then load it on my phone (or new tab), is there a way to have the app download the maps that surround the gpx track automatically?
Thanks,
#1Fan
Everyone should be so lucky as to be able to ride a motorbike through the Himalayas.
#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:35 PM   #1814
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1Fan View Post
A few quick questions. Which tablet would you recommend? I am thinking of the Samsung Galaxy 3 7". Also, when I create my own gpx with Google Earth and then load it on my phone (or new tab), is there a way to have the app download the maps that surround the gpx track automatically?
Thanks,
#1Fan
Any tablet with a good GPS will work fine. I strongly suggest you use the website to store your tracks. The drawing tools are also really great so you should give them a shot too. Once the tracks are on the website you can sync the tracks and cache the tiles on the tablet in 4 clicks or so. Easy Peasy
Old 08-29-2013, 07:54 PM   #1815
#1Fan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Any tablet with a good GPS will work fine. I strongly suggest you use the website to store your tracks. The drawing tools are also really great so you should give them a shot too. Once the tracks are on the website you can sync the tracks and cache the tiles on the tablet in 4 clicks or so. Easy Peasy
Sweet. I haven't seen the drawing tool yet, so I will check it out. I have upped my tracks to the site. Thank you!
Everyone should be so lucky as to be able to ride a motorbike through the Himalayas.
#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote