Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #1906
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,258
Google is expected to shutdown the maps API the website is using to display and edit maps on Tuesday. I expect a significant service disruption if this happens. I've been working on writing the website for the new API but I don't believe in miracles and it took at least 6 months of work to write it the first time and I've had about 6 hours to invest in this so far and I"m not impressed with how swell the conversion is going. If the API really is shit-canned on Tuesday, then I expect the website to be down for a while. The android app will continue to work and you will continue to be able to download tracks and overlays from the server, you just will not be able to upload or edit tracks until I've had a chance to rewrite the site.

This has been covered many times before. The website is very expensive to operate and it generates about $80/month in donations these days. Something like 5% of my break even cost not including my labor which has always just been donated. I requested your help to create a labor fund to help get the site rewritten 6 months ago but I was only able to raise roughly enough money cover a single month of operating costs (which I would describe as a failure). The site has continued to be quite popular with just shy of 27 million page views so far this year. Unfortunately I don't know how to turn users into operating cash so dualsportmaps.com remains an under-funded well loved website which Google plans to kill next week. There is always a chance Google gives us another reprieve from impending doom but I'm not confident.

I'll keep looking at the code to see what I can get working sooner rather than later. We may just have to slowly rebuild the functionality.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:20 PM   #1907
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
Google is expected to shutdown the maps API the website is using to display and edit maps on Tuesday. I expect a significant service disruption if this happens. I've been working on writing the website for the new API but I don't believe in miracles and it took at least 6 months of work to write it the first time and I've had about 6 hours to invest in this so far and I"m not impressed with how swell the conversion is going. If the API really is shit-canned on Tuesday, then I expect the website to be down for a while. The android app will continue to work and you will continue to be able to download tracks and overlays from the server, you just will not be able to upload or edit tracks until I've had a chance to rewrite the site.

This has been covered many times before. The website is very expensive to operate and it generates about $80/month in donations these days. Something like 5% of my break even cost not including my labor which has always just been donated. I requested your help to create a labor fund to help get the site rewritten 6 months ago but I was only able to raise roughly enough money cover a single month of operating costs (which I would describe as a failure). The site has continued to be quite popular with just shy of 27 million page views so far this year. Unfortunately I don't know how to turn users into operating cash so dualsportmaps.com remains an under-funded well loved website which Google plans to kill next week. There is always a chance Google gives us another reprieve from impending doom but I'm not confident.

I'll keep looking at the code to see what I can get working sooner rather than later. We may just have to slowly rebuild the functionality.
That blows . Why is google pulling their API ?
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:43 PM   #1908
Strega
Black is a color

Oddometer: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk62cj5 View Post
That blows . Why is google pulling their API ?
They aren't, they're moving to a newer version and the old version will no longer work soon.

Bikes: ['09 KTM 690 RR]['98 KTM 620 Adv]['07 WR 450F]['99 YAM R6]
Support: [Where Am I Riding][Dual Sport Moto][C.O.R.E.][Nomadic Racks][Dual Sport Maps]
Strega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #1909
NHBill
Loosely Wrapped

Oddometer: 1,491
:( but I get it. I'm doing the monthly donation, wish I could do more. Maybe if I win the lottery...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
"There's a very fine line dividing bravery from stupidity..."
2009 F650GS
NHBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:34 PM   #1910
ban
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
dualsportmaps.com

It is disappointing to hear the issue with the Google API. Recently I began to use the website and was very impressed. It provides a great level of function but is not too complicated to use.

Will the website still work with the other maps such as OSM? I enjoy using the OSM maps. If there is an error then you can fix it instead of waiting for GM to fix it.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. - Dan Stanford
ban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #1911
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
overlay

I'm trying to put overlay on Google earth (I finally upgraded to a computer that will work with it) is there any way to move The cross hairs on overlay to a know point (ie city)
It would make it easier to locate the overlay on Google Earth easier

tom
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:57 AM   #1912
JsutGypsy
Prone Meditation

Oddometer: 14
Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
This has been covered many times before. The website is very expensive to operate and it generates about $80/month in donations these days. Something like 5% of my break even cost not including my labor which has always just been donated.
It sounds like you need to find a way to monetize the site. Perhaps you could do a Kickstarter leading into an inexpensive monthly / yearly subscription access. You could give 3 month, 6 month, 1 year, 5 year, lifetime subscriptions for those that donate to the Kickstart. And you should start charging a couple bucks for the apps.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:57 AM   #1913
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,266
I'm sure this is a dumb question, but I tried searching and I just must not be using the correct terms.

Can I use this app to plan rides (on the streets) from the comfort of my computer and then follow them with the app telling me where to go?

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:54 AM   #1914
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,129
That sucks crafty. Just when i started learning the software. Everyone is going to tell you what you need to do to save your labor of love. I'll do the same as a customer and believer in what you're building.

There isn't, currently a mapping solution, available for phones that truly replaces a dedicated GPS. For me, the biggest reason is figuring routes & tracks then magically having them appear on our phone. DSM solves the track side, but not the routes, but damn it works well! I know Street use isn't what DSM was designed for, but if it did both, you could market it to anyone, making a pay site make sense.

Is it possible to do something on your end that accesses something like co pilot or others? Even a backdoor solution would work.

Just a thought and some unsolicited advice. Theres a market for what you've accomplished, but it needs to reach more people so you can quit your day job

Respectfully,
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:11 AM   #1915
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsutGypsy View Post
It sounds like you need to find a way to monetize the site. Perhaps you could do a Kickstarter leading into an inexpensive monthly / yearly subscription access. You could give 3 month, 6 month, 1 year, 5 year, lifetime subscriptions for those that donate to the Kickstart. And you should start charging a couple bucks for the apps.
Kickstarter turned me down.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:12 AM   #1916
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Google Navigator already provides this on the road service. For me, the weakness of the phone was the trail and I've solved that.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:13 AM   #1917
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post
I'm sure this is a dumb question, but I tried searching and I just must not be using the correct terms.

Can I use this app to plan rides (on the streets) from the comfort of my computer and then follow them with the app telling me where to go?

ac
The app doesn't do routing, it is all about tracks so while it can actually talk to you it is not the purpose for it and it doesn't do it very well.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #1918
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Crafty I would imagine you have contacted google already in the past regarding your app and how it works. I think we all can agree they did a good job of mapping the streets but a horrible job on the dirt tracks due to the lack of data. I cant imagine google not wanting to be able to use that data that we have all contributed to due to your app to better there's. It just seems to me it would make both sides very happy.
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:24 PM   #1919
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanhXeo View Post
Crafty I would imagine you have contacted google already in the past regarding your app and how it works. I think we all can agree they did a good job of mapping the streets but a horrible job on the dirt tracks due to the lack of data. I cant imagine google not wanting to be able to use that data that we have all contributed to due to your app to better there's. It just seems to me it would make both sides very happy.
The Android app will continue to work. I problem is the website. Anyway, Google doesn't want to talk to me. They are a 100 billion dollar company with billion dollar problems. My problems are not worth $15,000
Old 11-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #1920
Strega
Black is a color

Oddometer: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanhXeo View Post
Well this issue is old code vs new code. They've updated their software on their end (it's since been updated AGAIN) and now it's time for the users to update their end.

I had to do the same with my SPOT mapping site, http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com but on a much smaller scale than Crafty's DualSportMoto.com site. I just display data, Crafty actually allows you to create data, edit data, save data, and so much more.

I spent several hundred hours on my site, so multiply that by 10 and that's what he's had to do with his site.

It's a ton of work and I hope everyone will subscribe to his site and just pitch in $10/month for such a phenomenal service.

Bikes: ['09 KTM 690 RR]['98 KTM 620 Adv]['07 WR 450F]['99 YAM R6]
Support: [Where Am I Riding][Dual Sport Moto][C.O.R.E.][Nomadic Racks][Dual Sport Maps]
Strega is offline   Reply With Quote