Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2014, 10:48 AM   #2011
Jäger
Osons

Oddometer: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelcorn View Post
Yes, when you upgrade you can still download it. At least it worked for me. You obviously will have to sign in using the same Google account, but it was on there on my list of apps.
Awesome!

With professional Trimble GPS units at hand and ArcGIS software that lets me make extremely detailed custom maps for both Garmin and Trimble units, so far the DSM utility hasn't offered me anything better than what I have. Recognizing, of course, that most ADV types have neither a geomatics degree nor the software and equipment to be in the same situation - don't want to be misunderstood as criticizing DSM, which I surely don't.

However, what neither Trimble nor Garmin offer is the screen real estate of this thin little 8" Samsung Tab tablets. Which, incidentally, fit very nicely into the clear plastic top pouch of the Wolfman tank bag on my WR250R. Now THERE is a huge advantage over Garmin/Trimble. I am going to take a few rides when we quit getting blizzards here in Montana and see if this gives me a moving map display good enough to dump the paper map sheets that always go along despite the electronics.

Thanks - and again to Crafty as well.
Jäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:54 AM   #2012
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,202
I've run DSM on a tablet on my WR² when I a touring and it is great for me. I was running a 7" tablet.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:07 PM   #2013
Jäger
Osons

Wife's got a couple of them too for her practice... Verizon Samsung Tab 2's, I think.

This is going to be interesting.

Has anyone yet tried making one of the USGS geopdfs into a custom map?
Old 03-26-2014, 04:26 PM   #2014
BillMoore
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelcorn View Post
Yes, when you upgrade you can still download it. At least it worked for me. You obviously will have to sign in using the same Google account, but it was on there on my list of apps.
Same here... I recently upgraded from a Motorola Bionic to a MotoX, and it showed up under My Apps in the store, and I was able to install it from there...
Old 03-28-2014, 09:11 AM   #2015
rw4x4van
East Coast Rider

Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jäger View Post
Awesome!

With professional Trimble GPS units at hand and ArcGIS software that lets me make extremely detailed custom maps for both Garmin and Trimble units, so far the DSM utility hasn't offered me anything better than what I have. Recognizing, of course, that most ADV types have neither a geomatics degree nor the software and equipment to be in the same situation - don't want to be misunderstood as criticizing DSM, which I surely don't.

However, what neither Trimble nor Garmin offer is the screen real estate of this thin little 8" Samsung Tab tablets. Which, incidentally, fit very nicely into the clear plastic top pouch of the Wolfman tank bag on my WR250R. Now THERE is a huge advantage over Garmin/Trimble. I am going to take a few rides when we quit getting blizzards here in Montana and see if this gives me a moving map display good enough to dump the paper map sheets that always go along despite the electronics.

Thanks - and again to Crafty as well.
...some pictures of your setup would be nice..we like pictures

'98 KTM 620 RXC
'07 KTM 300 XCW
rw4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:29 AM   #2016
Jäger
Osons

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw4x4van View Post
...some pictures of your setup would be nice..we like pictures
So... you want a picture of a GIS workstation and a scan of the bill for Terrago and ArcGIS software and extensions? The software bill runs a little over $25,000...

The professional units I take out when I need something better than a Garmin Rino?

Trimble Juno 5 (the one on the right). It will run you about $1,800 - that's without the Terrasynch and ArcPad software we use on it for doing professional mapping/GIS resource surveying. Not to mention the software and ability to create the maps you load onboard.

Or if you really need to go to town... a Trimble Yuma 2 tablet. This puppy will cost you about $3,000 at your local Trimble distributor. And again, that's without any software on it, etc, as above...

As I said... if your profession doesn't have you already purchasing and using equipment, software - and possessing the technical skills - like this, having these kind of resources is outside of 99.9% of us. Just like most of us don't have the skills and equipment to fabricate our own carbon fiber and titanium parts, etc and so forth.

But, in my opinion, Crafty's DSM mapping website along with DSM android app sure allows that 99.9% of us to move a whole lot closer to what .1% of us are fortunate enough to have. And Android tablets in the 7-8" range are pretty darned cheap as well, relatively speaking.

Now if somebody would only do the same in providing us laymen in the fabricating/machining world with an equally cheap way to make those carbon fiber and titanium parts I'd like to be able to build for my bike...
Old 03-28-2014, 12:01 PM   #2017
rw4x4van
East Coast Rider

Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jäger View Post
So... you want a picture of a GIS workstation and a scan of the bill for Terrago and ArcGIS software and extensions? The software bill runs a little over $25,000...

The professional units I take out when I need something better than a Garmin Rino?

Trimble Juno 5 (the one on the right). It will run you about $1,800 - that's without the Terrasynch and ArcPad software we use on it for doing professional mapping/GIS resource surveying. Not to mention the software and ability to create the maps you load onboard.

Or if you really need to go to town... a Trimble Yuma 2 tablet. This puppy will cost you about $3,000 at your local Trimble distributor. And again, that's without any software on it, etc, as above...

As I said... if your profession doesn't have you already purchasing and using equipment, software - and possessing the technical skills - like this, having these kind of resources is outside of 99.9% of us. Just like most of us don't have the skills and equipment to fabricate our own carbon fiber and titanium parts, etc and so forth.

But, in my opinion, Crafty's DSM mapping website along with DSM android app sure allows that 99.9% of us to move a whole lot closer to what .1% of us are fortunate enough to have. And Android tablets in the 7-8" range are pretty darned cheap as well, relatively speaking.

Now if somebody would only do the same in providing us laymen in the fabricating/machining world with an equally cheap way to make those carbon fiber and titanium parts I'd like to be able to build for my bike...
Thanks Bud.....I knew that Trimbles stuff was expensive......hence the laughing smiley

'98 KTM 620 RXC
'07 KTM 300 XCW
rw4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:34 PM   #2018
Jäger
Osons

Actually, I can live with Trimble's pricing. It's what you pay when you require two and three sigma positional accuracy (Garmin et al are basically a 50/50 proposition regarding accuracy). And Trimble units seem to be tougher than hell as well.

It's ESRI's software pricing that I find over the top. But, despite other options like Manifold and GRASS that are out there, for all intents and purposes it is the only game in town for serious, multifaceted GIS workflows. So Jack Dangermond can charge what he does with relative impunity. I pretend to myself that he's spending all that loot doing charitable work in developing countries...

Anyway's that's why I find stuff like Crafty's work so exciting. A small tablet/large smartphone, along with the ability to make custom maps, and the gap really narrows for recreational use. I was looking in the Mountain Trader the last few weeks, and there have been a couple of those Verizon 7" Tab 2's selling for about $150 if I remember correctly. Assorted "out of date" Galaxy smartphones selling even cheaper. Those kind of prices and Crafty's $20 app... can't beat it with a stick for dual sporters like me. Or at least, I can see it getting to that point in the very, very near future.

The outstanding hangup will be the accuracy of the spatial datasets you are using to make your maps/do trip planning. The owners of the geodatabases that we get the cultural data from are usually governments, and they usually seem indifferent about keeping them up to date, no matter what country you are in. It's bad enough for recreational use; it's far worse for professional use when doing permitting, analysis, and so forth. Companies like Backroad Mapbooks do their best to correct their commercial mapping as best they can, but lacking the money and ability to ground truth data, they have to rely on voluntary updates submitted by users.

Which leads me to conclude that as far as dual sporting/adventure touring are concerned, that's what makes resources like DSM so valuable. It essentially provides you with ground truthed lanes through areas you want to travel.

All in all, pretty cool and useful.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:28 AM   #2019
bluegroove
Motorcycle junkie

Oddometer: 418
Google satellite tiles wont display?

Can anyone tell me why Google satelite maps wont display in DSM? I just get the gray and white checkerboard.

I downloaded the satelite tiles for my gpx without any errors. They won't even display when I am at home connected to my wifi.

I have had it work a few times in the past, but MOST of the time it won't work. What am I doing wrong?

thanks!
Old 04-03-2014, 01:00 PM   #2020
Drabnor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegroove View Post
Can anyone tell me why Google satelite maps wont display in DSM? I just get the gray and white checkerboard.

I downloaded the satelite tiles for my gpx without any errors. They won't even display when I am at home connected to my wifi.

I have had it work a few times in the past, but MOST of the time it won't work. What am I doing wrong?

thanks!
Mine started doing this also, google terrain works fine, but the satellite images do not work correctly any more

Makes the app almost useless, at least for what I use it for which is off road trail riding...

edit: I didn't mean to sound so harsh, I just love the app and when it is working it is awesome. Will try MS earth and see if it works...

Drabnor screwed with this post 04-07-2014 at 09:29 AM
Drabnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:12 PM   #2021
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drabnor View Post
Mine started doing this also, google terrain works fine, but the satellite images do not work correctly any more

Makes the app almost useless, at least for what I use it for which is off road trail riding...
Well, I won't say almost useless...but certainly a major loss of functionality. What I'd like to know is, when and how did those sneaky Google or Android/whatever guys get ahold of my phone and mess with it? I'm keeping it in my pocket from now on.

And if it makes you feel any better, I installed the latest update to my $1K+ investment in a Monterra/two map sets/mounts and now the City Navigator North America maps no workie. Very similar outcome (temporarily for terra though I am sure) and upside is it makes the use I did get out of DSM over the last few years seem like a bargain.

Moving on...:-)
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:42 PM   #2022
capcrazy
what, me worry?

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegroove View Post

thanks!
google changed the naming of their sat image servers because of the growing number of people who are scarfing their data. easy fix for DSM is to just use Microsoft Earth as your map tile source.
1985 Suzuki RM250 (ridden until frame broke in 2001)
1985 Kawasaki KDX 200 (still works)
2005 KTM MXC 450 (titled as a street bike with plates)
2009 KLR 650
capcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:53 PM   #2023
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,266
I found an interesting site to make tracks

http://www.walkjogrun.net/

I just set it up for "cycle" (cycle / motorcycle) and made tracks.

tom
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:17 AM   #2024
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcrazy View Post
google changed the naming of their sat image servers because of the growing number of people who are scarfing their data. easy fix for DSM is to just use Microsoft Earth as your map tile source.
It's more than that
Old 04-15-2014, 12:10 PM   #2025
moto_dmitriy
que?

Oddometer: 71
I would be really nice if DSM had integration with APRS. Essentially adding http://aprsdroid.org functionality into DSM screen.

EDIT: just to be clear I am talking about integrating it with a HARDWIRED connection to a VHF radio ala http://www.wcares.org/?page_id=2677
essentially out in the middle of nowhere(or RTW trip) if you and your buddies all have this setup, you would see each other on the map.

moto_dmitriy screwed with this post 04-15-2014 at 12:20 PM
moto_dmitriy is offline   Reply With Quote