Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2014, 11:24 AM   #2056
Jäger
Osons

Oddometer: 790
No ideas on the problem with the .gpx files downloaded from DSM not opening in Mapsource without some help, Crafty?

I don't need those .gpx files very often, and I know how to work around the problem, I think I even know what about the .gpx file is causing the problem, but I'm curious to why the problem is happening.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:26 AM   #2057
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jäger View Post
No ideas on the problem with the .gpx files downloaded from DSM not opening in Mapsource without some help, Crafty?

I don't need those .gpx files very often, and I know how to work around the problem, I think I even know what about the .gpx file is causing the problem, but I'm curious to why the problem is happening.
Is it the original file or the rendered one?
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:58 AM   #2058
Jäger
Osons

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
Is it the original file or the rendered one?
The file attached to post #2046 is straight out of DSM installed on my Samsung Tab 2; the file attached to post #2047 is the original file after being imported and then reexported out of DNR. The first one Mapsource can't open, the second it can. As best I can tell from a cursory look at the original file compared to the second, a column in the file is empty in the original. I suspect that may be the primary key for the .gpx table, but I'm not sure.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:05 PM   #2059
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
The file attached to post #2046 is straight out of DSM installed on my Samsung Tab 2; the file attached to post #2047 is the original file after being imported and then reexported out of DNR. The first one Mapsource can't open, the second it can. As best I can tell from a cursory look at the original file compared to the second, a column in the file is empty in the original. I suspect that may be the primary key for the .gpx table, but I'm not sure.
So, the GPX file opens in software other than mapsource but not mapsource? Sorry, for being a bit dense, this does not have my full attention at the moment.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:02 PM   #2060
Jäger
Osons

Quote:
So, the GPX file opens in software other than mapsource but not mapsource? Sorry, for being a bit dense, this does not have my full attention at the moment.
No problem.

The .gpx file created by DSM, directly out of my tablet, will not open in Mapsource or Basecamp. I did not try it in other mapping/GIS software.

However, DNR GPS will successfully import that file. DNR GPS is a freeware professional program used by GIS types to edit and change various types of geographic files, among them .gpx files. It does not display a track, or points, or anything like that. It just allows you do do some simple basic editing, export to other formats (i.e. shapefiles), stuff like that.

All I did with the original .gpx files was import them and then immediately export them as a .gpx file. The exported .gpx files then load into Mapsource and Basecamp just fine. No editing or any changes was done.

Comparing the tables of the before and after .gpx files side by side, I note that one column in the table is unpopulated in the original .gpx file, and is successively numbered in the imported-then-exported version of that file. That leads me to suspect that column is the primary key for the .gpx file table, and that's why Mapsource chokes on the original file.

The process that has DNR GPS successively number the cells in that column when exporting is something I know nothing about. Perhaps it is an automated fix for .gpx files that may have originated as .csvs or something else, I don't know. But it does it, and the .gpx files work afterwards.

I can't recall if I tried to load the .gpx file straight from the tablet as a new track on the DSM website. I don't think I did. Shouldn't be hard to check.

Wondering if this might be a problem unique to the Samsung Tab 2, because I certainly haven't read of any other users saying the DSM generated .gpx files off their Android devices don't load into Mapsource/Basecamp. But then again, I doubt many DSM users take the DSM created .gpx files and try to load them into Mapsource.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:08 PM   #2061
Bull Gear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Damn. I thought I found the perfect app just to discover it's been pulled. I'd still pay the $20 for the app just to have the offline maps available on my droid. I can live without all the .gpx files.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:50 AM   #2062
jjustj
cum petris et choris

Oddometer: 5,345
Mine was deleted with last phone update.thanks Verizon...Not!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348508
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489958 Sunday worship, a strap-on, and Does this water taste funny?
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:16 AM   #2063
Jäger
Osons

I was able to re-install my copy. My thinking is that Google Play recognizes you've previously purchased and downloaded the app, and so it makes it available for you to download again.

I might have had to jump through some hoops, can't remember, but I do know I was able to re-install the app.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:18 AM   #2064
Jäger
Osons

Quote:
Copy that.

Replied to your questions and the "before" and "after" .gpx files are attached above.

Have you had time to look at it yet?
Old 08-11-2014, 11:23 AM   #2065
Queen of Spades
tall drink of water

Oddometer: 827
Quote:
I was able to re-install my copy. My thinking is that Google Play recognizes you've previously purchased and downloaded the app, and so it makes it available for you to download again.

I might have had to jump through some hoops, can't remember, but I do know I was able to re-install the app.
Do you happen to have the link to the app in play.google.com? When it was announced the project was shelved, I stupidly deleted the app. I'm not finding it when doing a basic search in Play (online, signed into my account - same account I purchased it from last year).

EDIT; just found the link and Google is supposedly reinstalling for me now.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:05 PM   #2066
Jäger
Osons

Ahhhh... I think you go to Google Play, select My Apps, All... something like that. Anyways, I ended up in a list of everything I'd ever installed, selected DSM from the list, and reinstalled it.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:00 PM   #2067
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,046
Quote:
Ahhhh... I think you go to Google Play, select My Apps, All... something like that. Anyways, I ended up in a list of everything I'd ever installed, selected DSM from the list, and reinstalled it.
Yep, exactly.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:01 PM   #2068
sandalscout
blah blah blah

CC, it looks like the site is offline again. Thanks!
Old 08-12-2014, 01:03 PM   #2069
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
CC, it looks like the site is offline again. Thanks!
Back online.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:05 PM   #2070
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Quote:
Back online.
You da man!