Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2011, 10:07 AM   #361
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepetrueba View Post
can you help me with toggilg the speedo. i am experiencing lack of oxigen in my brain.
downloaded update but cant find the toggling of speedometer....
what is the best default setting you guys are using?
Click the icon in the bottom left corner of the map screen a few times.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:21 AM   #362
pepetrueba
PePeBaJa

Oddometer: 195
Wow factor

JUST PLAIN BITCHIN.
Wow this is simply amazing. You are a genious
Hope remote is out in the future. Again this tops out any gps out in the market
thanks
Old 09-21-2011, 12:46 PM   #363
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,543
Quote:
can you help me with toggilg the speedo. i am experiencing lack of oxigen in my brain.
downloaded update but cant find the toggling of speedometer....
what is the best default setting you guys are using?
I had the same condition briefly. Also got fixed up though

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:53 PM   #364
#1Fan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
I haven't had a chance to test this out in the trail yet.
Which is the best way to use it on the trail, landscape or vertical?
I'll be uploading some trails for central Colorado sometime in the future!!!
Thanks, crafty!
Originally Posted by Misery_Goat
Everyone should be so lucky as to be able to ride a motorbike through the Himalayas.
http://www.facebook.com/numberonefan
#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:44 PM   #365
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1Fan View Post
I haven't had a chance to test this out in the trail yet.
Which is the best way to use it on the trail, landscape or vertical?
I'll be uploading some trails for central Colorado sometime in the future!!!
Thanks, crafty!
I don't think it matters. I like it in portrait aka vertical. The most important thing to do is LOCK IT IN ONE MODE. Off road the bumping makes the phone think it is switching all the time and that makes the app very annoying. In the app, go to:
SETTINGS => GENERAL => MAP SCREEN ORIENTATION to set
Old 09-21-2011, 01:54 PM   #366
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 1,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
LOCK IT IN ONE MODE
Yep, a definite requirement. I actually have a few other programs (music players and such) that I use when I'm on my bike, and they were always jumping back and forth. I have only found one app that allows you to lock your phone in either portrait or landscape (I tried several that claim to, but they just turn the screen rotation on or off and on my phone it means it's locked to portrait). It Orientation Control:

https://market.android.com/details?i...tcontrol&hl=en

(sorry for the detour, just thought others might find it useful; I also really like Car Dock Home v3 and Car Music from androidcarmusic.com, they both have large on screen buttons for controls, much easier when in gloves)
Old 09-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #367
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,157
This may have been asked before and if so please forgive me, but can maps of different areas be imported? For example, if i want to ride a section of northern Colorado one weekend, and then southern Az the next, can i import certain or specific sections of topo maps?

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:08 PM   #368
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,073
I've followed the instructions in the GPS Status app to calibrate the compass and when I point North it's saying E-SE.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:09 PM   #369
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
This may have been asked before and if so please forgive me, but can maps of different areas be imported? For example, if i want to ride a section of northern Colorado one weekend, and then southern Az the next, can i import certain or specific sections of topo maps?
The app is designed to allow you to download map tiles for specific dualsportmaps. Load a map from the website and "cache the tiles". It is in one of the videos. It stores just the tiles under and around the track to save space and to be a good neighbor.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:11 PM   #370
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
I've followed the instructions in the GPS Status app to calibrate the compass and when I point North it's saying E-SE.
Quote:
My phones compass is just so/so, please don't blame me if it is short on accuracy. When you are moving it is much more accurate because the GPS is much better than the compass on these devices in general.
Make sure you aren't near any large magnetic fields. Other than that, is it just a shortcoming of the phone. My apps compass works well when you are moving.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:17 PM   #371
SteveO
Huh???

Quote:
The app is designed to allow you to download map tiles for specific dualsportmaps. Load a map from the website and "cache the tiles". It is in one of the videos. It stores just the tiles under and around the track to save space and to be a good neighbor.
So just to be clear, there is no option yo import maps from Mapspace or Basecamp?

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:29 PM   #372
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
So just to be clear, there is no option yo import maps from Mapspace or Basecamp?
Correct. Garmin maps are not compatible with this system. I make FREE maps of the entire world available to users though. The system takes a little getting used to. It is multi-tiered. First off, there are the OSM vector maps. Then there are the dualsportmaps (just collections of tracks and waypoints) that come from the website. Finally, you can also cache map tiles from multiple sources (topo, road, shaded relief, sat imagery) and save them to your phone so that when you are offline you can still see them. Each of these types of maps requires just a few clicks to get so it is not difficult. It is different than you are used to with Garmin though. If you take the time to learn the system, you will really appreciate it. I designed it this way because I kept getting lost on my Zumo with City Navigator loaded and 24K Topo make it hard to see trails.

As I have said before, I am looking into allowing the use of Garmin maps. It is a lot of work, but I think those of us who came from a Garmin background would appreciate it. It's pretty far down on the list, but I promise that when I have something to show on the topic it will be posted here.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:36 PM   #373
SteveO
Huh???

Quote:
Correct. Garmin maps are not compatible with this system. I make FREE maps of the entire world available to users though. The system takes a little getting used to. It is multi-tiered. First off, there are the OSM vector maps. Then there are the dualsportmaps (just collections of tracks and waypoints) that come from the website. Finally, you can also cache map tiles from multiple sources (topo, road, shaded relief, sat imagery) and save them to your phone so that when you are offline you can still see them. Each of these types of maps requires just a few clicks to get so it is not difficult. It is different than you are used to with Garmin though. If you take the time to learn the system, you will really appreciate it. I designed it this way because I kept getting lost on my Zumo with City Navigator loaded and 24K Topo make it hard to see trails.

As I have said before, I am looking into allowing the use of Garmin maps. It is a lot of work, but I think those of us who came from a Garmin background would appreciate it. It's pretty far down on the list, but I promise that when I have something to show on the topic it will be posted here.

Cool, thanks for the response.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:04 PM   #374
pepetrueba
PePeBaJa

Oddometer: 195
dualsportmaps

I forecast the future.
Garmin, Lowrance will have to do a lot of catching up to dual sport maps.
Nexte available time i ride, i will not be using the Montana :)
I used to travel having my 276c and the 60csx as a backup, but now feel like the montana is the backup and the droid 2 global with dualsportmaps is my primary.
I wonder this December down in this years's Dakar will have their droids running this as backup
Old 09-21-2011, 03:40 PM   #375
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,528
Quote:
I wonder this December down in this years's Dakar will have their droids running this as backup
The Dakar race course is secret. Nobody but the race organization knows exactly where it goes. Plus, no GPS devices are allowed except the one the race organization provides, which does not display any maps or tracks, not even GPS coordinates. Rally navigation is done by paper roadbook, which is sort of the lowest-tech opposite of what the DualSportMaps app is all about! Oh, and cell phones are not allowed in the race either! It's you, your bike, your odometer, and the roadbook versus the wide open desert!

HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote