User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2011, 01:34 PM   #436
ironbutt84
Time Traveler

Oddometer: 142
Only Android?

I searched but did not find if your App is absolutely only for the Android. I have AT&T Samsung Windows phone, does that handle it?
ironbutt84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:43 PM   #437
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbutt84 View Post
I searched but did not find if your App is absolutely only for the Android. I have AT&T Samsung Windows phone, does that handle it?
He's said before, and unless things have changed, CC doesn't intend to dev another platform....
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:23 PM   #438
BobM
DualSport

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
... To add to the issue, I setup that map slightly incorrect in the software and it is defined as going down to level 18 but there is only data to level 15 which is 2500 extra tiles that it tried to download that do not exist. I just cached that map and it has 500ish tiles if it is limited to level 15. The next version will update that map with the correct maximum detail. ....
I've downloaded a few different areas now and it works good with the zoom set to 15, but occasionally a track which runs through the area goes a long way outside the area of interest. I'll usually uncheck it, but if I don't notice, then it starts downloading tiles and says "xxxx tiles to download" (i.e. thousands). I cannot to find menu choice to stop a download, so I end up using the OS "Force Stop" application.

Is there a way to stop downloding tiles for a specific track/map?

Thanks
Bob
BobM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:40 PM   #439
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
Is there a way to stop downloding tiles for a specific track/map?
I've not done this, but it seems like a good idea. I'll work on it.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:51 PM   #440
eshanks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
downloaded app

ok so i have invested a significant amount of time lurking through all 20+ pages of threads...so here goes a question which i am sure is already been answered so please go easy. where can i find a step step tutorial. when i click search dsm is blank? do i have to upload my area? how do i know which file is my area? i ride in southern maine and new hampshire. specifically there is a n. berwick to fryeburg track that i have used from dual sport maps to mapsource in the past. (if that helps). this i a new phone, my first smart phone so not super savy. do i need to this work through my pc? I have not even hooked my phone up to my pc yet? ok hope this gives somebody an idea as to where i am at and where i need to go. want to stop waisting time lurking in circles. Best, thanks for all the pioneering...wicked cool!!!
eshanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:54 PM   #441
eshanks
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshanks View Post
ok so i have invested a significant amount of time lurking through all 20+ pages of threads...so here goes a question which i am sure is already been answered so please go easy. where can i find a step step tutorial. when i click search dsm is blank? do i have to upload my area? how do i know which file is my area? i ride in southern maine and new hampshire. specifically there is a n. berwick to fryeburg track that i have used from dual sport maps to mapsource in the past. (if that helps). this i a new phone, my first smart phone so not super savy. do i need to this work through my pc? I have not even hooked my phone up to my pc yet? ok hope this gives somebody an idea as to where i am at and where i need to go. want to stop waisting time lurking in circles. Best, thanks for all the pioneering...wicked cool!!!
oh ya...my phone is a samsung with 2.3.3 firmware
Old 09-30-2011, 08:10 PM   #442
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
If you can view them on the website you can download them to the app. If your search button isn't searching, from the map screen, press Menu => More => DSM Map Search

That will search the bounds of the screen for tracks. You must zoom at least to 9. I just downloaded a ton a tracks in that area so its working fine.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:16 PM   #443
eshanks
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
If you can view them on the website you can download them to the app. If your search button isn't searching, from the map screen, press Menu => More => DSM Map Search

That will search the bounds of the screen for tracks. You must zoom at least to 9. I just downloaded a ton a tracks in that area so its working fine.
Holy Crap...Thats Awesome!!!
Old 09-30-2011, 08:47 PM   #444
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Holy Crap...Thats Awesome!!!
Old 09-30-2011, 09:32 PM   #445
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Remote Control Design update

So, we are getting very close to conclusion of this remote control / charging unit project. I modified the case design this evening and added a second external plug. This was done to simplify the cable creation and installation.

I've got a final cost estimate as well. The remote control, power supply, necessary cables, and 2 mounts (if you have 2 bikes or one mount breaks) is going to cost $200. I'm not happy about the price. Without making hundreds of these things there is no way to get the price down though. The lead time will be pretty long as well. Sourcing all the 20 parts from 6 vendors takes time and then there is about 90 minutes of assembly (soldering and wiring everything). I'll be willing to build these in lots of 12 units. Fewer than that and I can't even hit the $200 number.

I've got $400ish invested in parts for this remote control project so far and I need to get one more prototype case built (another $150) so I can create a fully function version for a show and tell video. That will come late next week hopefully. I've never done anything like this before, so I'm quite happy to spend my $600 for the remote control that will be totally unique to me and my bike and be finished with this. I have learned a ton of valuable information on a huge host of topics that never crossed my mind before. While I failed to figure out how to get the price down to something akin to reasonable, I was able to solve a huge number of other problems that were well beyond my abilities when I started this. This has been a outstanding experience for me so as far as I'm concerned, this money was well spent.

If there is sufficient interest after I post the show and tell video that we can get a dozen of these ordered, I'll have them ready by Christmas. I don't think it will take more than a month to get all the parts in and another 2 weeks to get them all built and tested but I hate to disappoint so I'll set the bar low. The parts will cost over $2000 so I'll need the cash in advance. I suspect that will be a deal a breaker for most people but if we can find a dozen brave souls I'll gladly share this project with y'all.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:00 AM   #446
Mr. Fisherman
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Oddometer: 10,657
Want. Need to find the means.
Will additional mounts be made available in case we have more than 2 bikes or break one (or more)?
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:06 AM   #447
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman View Post
Want. Need to find the means.
Will additional mounts be made available in case we have more than 2 bikes or break one (or more)?
If they are breaking in large numbers, then a new design will have to be fashioned. This material is tough and flexible though. If you apply 5200 PSI to it, it will bend 180 degrees and then bounce back into shape. It can manage that trick hundreds of times if the specification is to be believed. I've not seen the product and I won't until I order a dozen units. The one offs that I'm having made are a different and much more brittle plastic. I'm not convinced that these would survive riding, but the Duraform EX material I've selected for production will be good I think. I'm still waiting to hear back from the machine shop, so aluminum is still a possibility. Being quite certain that they will be more expensive than plastic though means that we are sort of price bound. $200 is a lot of dough when you consider that all I'm giving you for it is a phone charger with controls on it to move your map around, set waypoints, and control the volume of the phone. All in this is half the cost of a Garmin Montana, but $20 is still way cooler than $220. I'm just saying.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:13 AM   #448
oPAULo
jack of all terrain

Oddometer: 3,952
Could the controller be used for other apps on the phone? Like games?
If so, I'd think you could sell a blue million.
oPAULo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:15 AM   #449
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by oPAULo View Post
Could the controller be used for other apps on the phone? Like games?
If so, I'd think you could sell a blue million.
The games would need to be modified to work with it. That wouldn't be hard to do, but it wouldn't be "plug and play".
Old 10-01-2011, 11:06 AM   #450
oPAULo
jack of all terrain

Oddometer: 3,952
Hey CC. Is this another non GPX file with .gpx.
You said you converted the last one. How do I do it?
I'm trying to get it to DSM for the big ride in 2 weeks.

HNF Day 2-B.gpx
oPAULo is offline   Reply With Quote