Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2011, 05:21 AM   #646
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
Great. We are glad to have you on board.

Please upload tracks for Australia. We only have a few active members from down your way so content is scare at the moment. The more content we have, the more content we get. That calculus is strange, but quite real as well.
Yup, I already uploaded 3 tracks, doubling the amount in my state.

When I try to download them onto my device it says 'new maps found' but they don't show up in the search box. If I try to add them manually into the 'tracks' folder then load them they don't load, however the loading thing in the top right corner just keeps on spinning, even after leaving it on overnight.

Any idea how to fix this?
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 07:13 AM   #647
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAJourneyman View Post
Yup, I already uploaded 3 tracks, doubling the amount in my state.

When I try to download them onto my device it says 'new maps found' but they don't show up in the search box. If I try to add them manually into the 'tracks' folder then load them they don't load, however the loading thing in the top right corner just keeps on spinning, even after leaving it on overnight.

Any idea how to fix this?
I just tried and it works fine. Perhaps you are doing it incorrectly. The procedure is as follows:
  1. Open the map.
  2. Move to the area where the map you want is located.
  3. Zoom into at least level 9
  4. Press the search button on your Android phone. (Some phones this doesn't work. If this is you, Menu=>More=>DSM Map Search)
  5. The search dialog will pop up showing any maps that are loading.
  6. Click the back button to return to the map.

craftycoder screwed with this post 11-26-2011 at 07:26 AM
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:38 AM   #648
n9udl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
http://www.makershed.com/Bluetooth_A...d_p/mkwl05.htm

Sweet... Wireless remote via Bluetooth, maybe?

"Better a smart-ass than a dumb-ass, if you have to choose." - Me

Check out the cool Tent Space thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149585
n9udl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:43 AM   #649
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by n9udl View Post

It would be possible, but more expensive and you would still need to charge the phone. I don't see the point of a wireless remote in this case. If you want to give it a go, I can define the API for you. I've given this a lot of thought though... A wired remote that also charges the phone seems like the simplest solution.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:59 AM   #650
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by n9udl View Post

I'd prefer the BT to be open for a headset personally. the wired solution is perfect for what we need it to do IMO.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:00 AM   #651
n9udl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
It would be possible, but more expensive and you would still need to charge the phone. I don't see the point of a wireless remote in this case. If you want to give it a go, I can define the API for you. I've given this a lot of thought though... A wired remote that also charges the phone seems like the simplest solution.
Certainly more expensive using prototyping hardware, maybe not too bad with a custom board minimal components.

You're right though- then you still have two devices which must be powered/charged.

I also started looking into some gaming controllers (both BT and wired) made for smartphones, but again, you're probably way ahead of me. Besides the power issue, there is the issue that after-market gaming controllers would not be sufficiently waterproof for motorcycle use. (unless you tie a condom over them, or something )

I love the quick responses... Thanks so much for your efforts. A $20 Android app was challenging my pain threshold, but given your quick and helpful responses I am becoming confident that it was money well spent.

Thanks again!

Tom in WI

"Better a smart-ass than a dumb-ass, if you have to choose." - Me

Check out the cool Tent Space thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149585
n9udl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:24 AM   #652
BobM
DualSport

Oddometer: 313
New Feature Request

There's a feature on the newer Garmin's (Montana, 62s, Oregon) that isn't on my 60CSx and I'm really tempted to buy a Montana 600 (Black Friday special $399). I'd rather be able to use this app for that feature and I'm asking as it may not be too difficult for you to do (or it may be there but I haven't found it).

What I'd like to do is use paper maps as the source of the data. With the Garmin's, you can scan the paper map to a JPG and then use Google Earth to align (rotate, stretch) the JPG with the underlying features, hence calibrating it. You can set the Draw Order in GE so this new map displays as a overlay or dispays solid and the other maps need to be turned off. Google earth has an option to save it as a KMZ file directly to your GPS, and the GPS treats the KMZ like a Garmin IMG file, allowing you to this this new map off/on as required.

This feature is really useful when accurate detailed maps are provided for areas like Hatfield McCoy, but GPS data isn't readily available (I know, H-M is a bad example as we've all made custom maps for it by now). The other "killer" feature of these GPS is "BirdsEye Satelitte Imagery" but you've already got that covered.

The sale on the Montana is over on Monday 28th. Any chance you can let me know before then if this is possible?

Thanks
Bob
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:56 PM   #653
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Hey Bob, the issue that will be most difficult to overcome is the calibration of the image. It sounds like Google Earth already has a tool available to do that though. Can you send me the procedure to do the calibration (a link to it posted on the web is fine) as well as a "calibrated" image if you have one and I'll try to rough it out by Monday and let you know if you can skip the sale and expect the feature in the app. It won't be ready by Monday most likely, but I'll be able to know if I can do it by then. I love the idea for MVUMs and other files like that. Thank you for posting it up!

Now, its time to go try out the tire, a Heidenau K60, I just mounted up on the F8GS. You know, mounting tires gets easier every time I do it and it still is harder than hell. How is that possible?
Old 11-26-2011, 01:59 PM   #654
BobM
DualSport

Oddometer: 313
New feature - load KMZ files

Hopefully you don't need to impliment the calibration step. That's well covered by GE and other programs. If you can make the app read the KMZ file and draw the map that would be good.

Here's the link to Garmin's pages on Custom Maps. I'll e-mail some KMZ files that I made for my friend's Garmin 62s. They worked really well - I haven't figured out the zoom settings yet and each map seems to appear on the GPS at a different zoom level. It may be related to the DPI of the original scan.

I've got K60 M+S tires on my Dakar and they are great on the pavement and gravel roads, but I don't like them in the mud. Of course, if I know there's mud on my route I take the DR but I got caught on a muddy road allowance 2 weeks ago, dropped the bike and somehow got my leg trapped underneath. I've been on crutches since then!

Bob
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:11 PM   #655
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Thanks Bob. I've got the calibration figured out. Now I'm deciding the best way to render them on the phone and best way to get them to the phone.

How would you ALL feel if these calibrated raster maps (the KMZ files out of Google Earth) were uploaded to the website so that they could be shared with other people? We could certainly to the same private maps stuff that we do now, but in general I prefer that we keep this stuff public so that we may all benefit from each other's efforts. Then during the same process that brings down tracks, we also bring down these raster maps. I'm still just thinking here, so don't hold me to anything just yet.

Rending the KMZ file would be a rather trivial matter except for the memory footprint. Big images tend to use big amounts of memory. I suspect the Garmins limit the image size. I'm thinking instead that I could preprocess them into map tiles so as to keep RAM memory use down and also allows you to use as big an image as you want. The cost with this method would be that more disk space would be used than if we just used the KMZ directly. I generally feel that disk space is cheap and software limitations that consume user time are expensive (as time = money).

Thoughts anyone?

And sorry to hear about the crutches. That is never any fun.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:38 PM   #656
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,708
I can see how it could be useful. I don't think I'd have any need, what with Google maps, satellite, and terrain for the US and most of Mexico.

What's an example of where this would ne needed?
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:04 PM   #657
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I just tried and it works fine. Perhaps you are doing it incorrectly. The procedure is as follows:
  1. Open the map.
  2. Move to the area where the map you want is located.
  3. Zoom into at least level 9
  4. Press the search button on your Android phone. (Some phones this doesn't work. If this is you, Menu=>More=>DSM Map Search)
  5. The search dialog will pop up showing any maps that are loading.
  6. Click the back button to return to the map.

Hmm this is how I have been doing it. I'm using a Galaxy Tab 10.1", maybe it's a permissions problem? I've tried re-installing. Tested almost everything now, are there any log files or some way to trouble shoot it?

Note that when I bring up the menu while it's searching I can click any button and it will then say 'downloading map tiles', even if I click 'delete map files' or 'update map files' or any of the others. Strange problem, I assume it's related to my device somehow.....

Edit: Fixed

I installed Osmand free to see if I could import GPX files into there and that worked, then when I went back into DualSportMaps and tried again it was working, perhaps something was wrong with the installation to Samsung Galaxy Tab? I had been trying this since Friday night with no success. At least now you have a solution if this problem shows itself again!

Llamaha screwed with this post 11-26-2011 at 03:27 PM
Old 11-26-2011, 03:17 PM   #658
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAJourneyman View Post
Hmm this is how I have been doing it. I'm using a Galaxy Tab 10.1", maybe it's a permissions problem? I've tried re-installing. Tested almost everything now, are there any log files or some way to trouble shoot it?

Note that when I bring up the menu while it's searching I can click any button and it will then say 'downloading map tiles', even if I click 'delete map files' or 'update map files' or any of the others. Strange problem, I assume it's related to my device somehow.....
I've got a Honeycomb emulator. I've tested the software there before, but not recently. Let me check it out and get back with you.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:19 PM   #659
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
I can see how it could be useful. I don't think I'd have any need, what with Google maps, satellite, and terrain for the US and most of Mexico.

What's an example of where this would ne needed?
Things like Motor Vehicle Use Maps and Wildlife Management Area maps that are made available only as rasters come to mind right away. I agree that the utility is limited being that I make so many good layers already, but there are still some things I don't give which are pretty cool I think.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:26 PM   #660
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Okay last thing sorry, is there anyway to calculate how many kms/miles a GPX file is? Trying to figure out how much fuel I should take :)