Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #871
Strega
Black is a color

Oddometer: 483
Wonder if a Kindle Fire could take a beating on the trail on an ADV bike, so not as bad as the stuff on the dual-sport bike.

What would make a really awesome screen for the GPS behind the windscreen.

Bikes: ['09 KTM 690 RR]['98 KTM 620 Adv]['07 WR 450F]['99 YAM R6]
Support: [Where Am I Riding][Dual Sport Moto][C.O.R.E.][Nomadic Racks][Dual Sport Maps]
Strega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #872
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,243
I picked up a Fire for this specific purpose, but have so far failed to get Amazon to commit to adding the necessary features to allow me to add the remote to it. As the Fire has no built in GPS of Bluetooth, the only way to make it work would be to have an GPS in the remote. I've already designed that into the remote as an optional feature, but Amazon didn't support that portion of Android (android accessory mode its called) when they released the Fire. It's a serious annoyance for me and I a $200 poorer as a result.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strega View Post
Wonder if a Kindle Fire could take a beating on the trail on an ADV bike, so not as bad as the stuff on the dual-sport bike.

What would make a really awesome screen for the GPS behind the windscreen.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #873
Strega
Black is a color

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
I picked up a Fire for this specific purpose, but have so far failed to get Amazon to commit to adding the necessary features to allow me to add the remote to it. As the Fire has no built in GPS of Bluetooth, the only way to make it work would be to have an GPS in the remote. I've already designed that into the remote as an optional feature, but Amazon didn't support that portion of Android (android accessory mode its called) when they released the Fire. It's a serious annoyance for me and I a $200 poorer as a result.
Ah what a pisser =\

Maybe the Panasonic Toughpad B1 will be a better option than the Fire?

Panasonic Toughpad A1 specs:
  1. Android Honeycomb 3.2
  2. Marvell 1.2 GHz Dual-Core Processor
  3. 1GB RAM, 16GB storage, MicroSD optional up to 32GB
  4. Battery Life up to 10 hours (user replaceable)
  5. Dimensions: 10.5 x 8.3 x 0.67 in.
  6. Connectivity: (LTE or WiMAX), 802.11 a/b/g/n, Wi-Fi Hotspot, Bluetooth v2.1 + EDR, Satellite GPS
  7. Drop Rating: 4 ft.
  8. Ports: Micro-USB, microSDHC, micro HDMI

Support: [Where Am I Riding][Dual Sport Moto][C.O.R.E.][Nomadic Racks][Dual Sport Maps]
Old 02-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #874
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

There are a lot of possibilities out there. I'm not giving up on the fire yet. I may have to patch the kernel myself one of these days, but I think it will work some day.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #875
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,633
Hey Crafty,

I know you have a lot of time and money invested in your remote so far, but I still can't help but think that there is an easier/better solution (hope I'm not stepping on toes).

What about programming something like this:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...=SPM6468471902

You could assign keys to your functions (W,A,S,D for panning) and then it would also possibly be usable with the rest of the phone for searching, texting, etc.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #876
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

It's got to be small, weather proof, and convenient. I am open to suggestions of things that meet those criteria. I had a fresh idea this morning that I plan to examine soon. I think this may make a nice "discount" remote. It's all the things I listed except convenient, because its so small I think it will be limited in what it can do.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Ericsson-...8558376&sr=8-1
Old 02-06-2012, 01:52 PM   #877
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,125
Quote:
I had a fresh idea this morning that I plan to examine soon. I think this may make a nice "discount" remote. It's all the things I listed except convenient, because its so small I think it will be limited in what it can do.
I really like that.
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:38 PM   #878
Strega
Black is a color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
What about programming something like this:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...=SPM6468471902
That looks like it might be handy to just have in your gear for when you stop sometime. Pull it out and reply to emails, texts, search the web, etc, if you have 3/4G access on the trail.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #879
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

The Sony gizmo isn't waterproof. So much for that idea.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:05 PM   #880
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

App Update Released: 0.2.09

In order to see the new track data, you need to download the tracks again. You can do that by going to the Search screen from the main menu. Then click Menu=>Delete All Maps

That will clean out your phone of saved maps. When you download them again they will contain all the info you saw in the video above.

craftycoder screwed with this post 02-07-2012 at 05:18 PM
Old 02-08-2012, 10:19 AM   #881
Drabnor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
another request

Playing with the volume feature yesterday, it seems the cutoff between slow speed and high speed volume is set to 30 mph. Would it be easy enough to add another slider bar to that menu to be able to change the cutoff speed? 30 is too fast, 15 or 20 would be better for me...

Thanks again! Love the app!!
Old 02-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #882
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

I may have been a bit premature with the release yesterday. None of the new features work as well as I'd like. There are no major bugs in it, its just not a polished as I'd prefer. Expect an update soon to clean up the weaknesses of yesterday release.

Drabnor, I changed the speed to about 16mph. It will be in the next release. If there is some contention about this change please speak up now.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #883
mischief
misadventurer

Oddometer: 512
silly questions

When I started out today, the app tracked my movement. Now that track is on the base map. How do I delete it? Also what do I use to open downloaded gpx files on my computer? I think I need to open them on my laptop because the website is too small to maneuver in on my phone. Then transfer them to my sdcard? When I go to another region on my phone and do a dsm search for tracks, I see them on the map but I don't see anyway to cache them for offline use later. I never used a gps at all before so this is all new to me, but I'm having fun exploring the possibilities. Thx Craftycoder
Christi
edit: Also when I go menu-more-gpx files, two show up and I don't know what they are but they have yesterday's date and I can't seem to delete them either
Old 02-08-2012, 08:40 PM   #884
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

your active log, the track from today, always shows. you can clear it by going to settings>monitoring>save current track. this happens automatically each day. that explains the gpx files that you found. you can delete them with file manager app, or by plugging your phone into a Pc and deleting them that way. they are in the /sdcard/osmand/tracks folder.

the dsm map search you did always caches them for later. you can see those while offline by just searching again. also, you can see the complete list of stored maps by clicking on the Search button on the main menu.

you have me confused with the part about gpxs and laptops. please try again.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #885
mischief
misadventurer

Oddometer: 512
Thx. I'm confused too so I will work on it some more until I can clarify my question. In the videos, strega was creating and downloading maps but if they are in gpx form my computer won't open them

Quote:
your active log, the track from today, always shows. you can clear it by going to settings>monitoring>save current track. this happens automatically each day. that explains the gpx files that you found. you can delete them with file manager app, or by plugging your phone into a Pc and deleting them that way. they are in the /sdcard/osmand/tracks folder.

the dsm map search you did always caches them for later. you can see those while offline by just searching again. also, you can see the complete list of stored maps by clicking on the Search button on the main menu.

you have me confused with the part about gpxs and laptops. please try again.