Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2012, 09:12 PM   #886
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by mischief64124 View Post
Thx. I'm confused too so I will work on it some more until I can clarify my question. In the videos, strega was creating and downloading maps but if they are in gpx form my computer won't open them
if you are creating maps on the website and using them in the app, you will never need to deal with the gpx files at all. just create a map on the website and search for it in the app. that's it.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:28 PM   #887
mischief
misadventurer

Oddometer: 515
OK, I think I get that. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
if you are creating maps on the website and using them in the app, you will never need to deal with the gpx files at all. just create a map on the website and search for it in the app. that's it.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:53 AM   #888
BobM
DualSport

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Thx. I'm confused too so I will work on it some more until I can clarify my question. In the videos, strega was creating and downloading maps but if they are in gpx form my computer won't open them
You said you were new to GPS, so I'd guess you don't have any "GPS software" on your computer. You need a program like Garmin Mapsource or BaseCamp (free from garmin.com). There are many free GPS map viewer software packages - try Google for "gps software for laptop".

If you already have GPS software, then perhaps you have the same problem I had. If I try to click on a GPX file in the osmand/tracks folder on my HTC Sensation, I get an error "File xxxxxxx.gpx could not be imported". If I copy the files to my PC and then click on a GPX file, it opens in Mapsource.

Bob
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:59 AM   #889
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,126
And if you don't need to make any edits but simply want to see the GPX file overlain on a map, check out gpsvisualizer.com.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #890
BENRON
I'm Mr. Crabtree

Oddometer: 3,582
Contour has a couple bluetooth enabled helmet cams... Do ya think your handlebar mounted controller could be made to act as a wireless remote shutter release?

That'd be kinda neat.
BENRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:17 PM   #891
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENRON View Post
Contour has a couple bluetooth enabled helmet cams... Do ya think your handlebar mounted controller could be made to act as a wireless remote shutter release?

That'd be kinda neat.
If you can do it from your phone, I should be able to move it to the remote.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #892
mischief
misadventurer

Oddometer: 515
ok, another silly question, ok 2

So, I rode today and have a track, I emailed it to myself and then uploaded it to the website
About one half way through my route the track detours and becomes a straight line to my destination. I don't think I
did anything to change it at that point so what happened?
Can I upload the track directly to the website from my phone?
thx
Christi
Old 02-09-2012, 08:52 PM   #893
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

For some reason your phone stopped recording GPS locations. This may be because you closed the app, you were in a tunnel, you got a call (possibly). You can turn on the "Background Service" so that it will always record your location even if you turn the app off. You should only do this while you are riding though or it will eat your battery!

You cannot upload the track directly from the app to the website yet. It's on the list though...

Quote:
So, I rode today and have a track, I emailed it to myself and then uploaded it to the website
About one half way through my route the track detours and becomes a straight line to my destination. I don't think I
did anything to change it at that point so what happened?
Can I upload the track directly to the website from my phone?
thx
Christi
Old 02-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #894
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,104
Quote:
.....You can turn on the "Background Service" so that it will always record your location even if you turn the app off. ...
should that say, "turn the screen off"?
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:56 PM   #895
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
should that say, "turn the screen off"?
I'm not sure the app keeps recording the map is active but the screen is off, but its late and I've been slaving over its code all night. Crap, its almost tomorrow. I need a life.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:05 PM   #896
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

If the background service is running it always records as long as the phone is on. You will see a little DSM logo in the status bar of your phone.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:32 PM   #897
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,104
Quote:
If the background service is running it always records as long as the phone is on. You will see a little DSM logo in the status bar of your phone.
right, ok. Go to sleep.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:32 PM   #898
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

The all-nighter was very productive guys. I've made some significant performance improvements to the app. Rendering the tracks should be much smoother now than before. I also took quite a bit of feedback from BobM in how info boxes should render. Hopefully I'll post it up tonight so you can have it for rides in the morning. I'll give a complete run down of the improvements when I post the update.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:27 PM   #899
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

App Update Released: 0.2.12

App update release in the market. This is a major performance upgrade. It also makes the features that I talked about last week work better. In addition to the stuff I mention in the video, you can tap your current location to set a waypoint. Waypoints that will be in your GPX will now show on the screen as little red pins on the map.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:06 PM   #900
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

I forgot to mention that track specific data is not available on tracks that were downloaded previous to the last version of the software. You need to delete the tracks from your phone Main Menu=>Search=>Menu=>Delete All Tracks and then download the tracks again if you want to see the track names when you click on them. I wasn't storing that data until the last version so it is not on your phone at the moment.