Strega
Black is a color

Oddometer: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Samsung Galaxy wifi 5.0"
That looks pretty darn slick.

Bikes: ['09 KTM 690 RR]['98 KTM 620 Adv]['07 WR 450F]['99 YAM R6]
Support: [Where Am I Riding][Dual Sport Moto][C.O.R.E.][Nomadic Racks][Dual Sport Maps]
Strega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:03 AM   #977
LoneStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Xperia Active

Crafty put up a video or two of this phone, the Sony Xperia Active.

Shown here in DSM trim:

I picked this up off of ebay, from Hong Kong. It runs on TMobile here in the states, but the AT&T version has just come out (ST17a). I put it through the paces with Crafty through the wet sands and mud of Georgia and N. Florida.

Works awesome, I'm sold. No frills really, but just tough as nails. I really hope the ruggedized phone segment catches on.

A bit on the construction:

The phone has an outer back case, and a water resistant inner back case. The outer back case has two hinged, gasketed, ports to get to the microUSB and audio jack.

Phone and inner back piece:

Outer back piece (with proprietary mounting technology installed):

Standard CC size ref.

More on the mount soon...
LoneStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:27 PM   #978
2Stamp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Craftycoder, what phone cradle is that in the latest video update (page #1).
2006 450EXC
2014 Honda Grom (hers)
2Stamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #979
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stamp View Post
Craftycoder, what phone cradle is that in the latest video update (page #1).
http://www.themountdepot.com/RAP_SB_...b-180-pd3u.htm
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:46 PM   #980
2Stamp
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
Thanks. is it pretty secure ? Meaning is it solid, any issues with phone getting loose? I'm eventually getting a gps but i want to try my android in moab in April.
2006 450EXC
2014 Honda Grom (hers)
Old 03-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #981
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Thanks. is it pretty secure ? Meaning is it solid, any issues with phone getting loose? I'm eventually getting a gps but i want to try my android in moab in April.
Secure enough for me. YMMV.

Rather than waste your money on a motorcycle GPS, get a waterproof phone. It's more useful and my software is better than any GPS I've used for off-road use. If you want a GPS to tell you how to ride on the slab, the Garmin's car GPSes are cheaper and will do just as good a job as the moto ones. If dirt is your thing just get a waterproof phone. I ride all weather so my current phone isn't really ideal for bad weather days. I have an Aquabox I can use with it which is waterproof when necessary though. I'd rather have a Sony Active like posted above.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:01 PM   #982
2Stamp
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks. I'm no where near being able to get a new phone (just changed in the last 6 month) but I do have your app on my samsung Charge. So far so good but I haven't had the phone on anything rough yet. I've got one of the bicycle phone holders (water proof zippered case) that I've played around with on my 800GS, but the phone gets hot. Not sure if it hurts performance or not. But the app is working well on the phone. Still playing around and learning it, but I'm liking it so far!
2006 450EXC
2014 Honda Grom (hers)
Old 03-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #983
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Thanks. I'm no where near being able to get a new phone (just changed in the last 6 month) but I do have your app on my samsung Charge. So far so good but I haven't had the phone on anything rough yet. I've got one of the bicycle phone holders (water proof zippered case) that I've played around with on my 800GS, but the phone gets hot. Not sure if it hurts performance or not. But the app is working well on the phone. Still playing around and learning it, but I'm liking it so far!
Heat is an issue. The screen will go dim at a certain temp to protect the device. The aquabox get molten. The otterbox doesn't, but the exchange is less water resistance...

You don't have to get service for the new phone, and if you have ATT or T-Mobile you can just move the chip between the phones and then you will have service which is convenient.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #984
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Aluminum remote control

Hey y'all. Here is an aluminum version of the remote (courtesy of an inmate out in Oregon...Thank you Keith!!!). It feels nice and sturdy. I am getting very close now. I've been waiting on a chip programmer for weeks now. It's taking forever to arrive from China. Once I get that and can then program the microcontroller before I solder them to the board, the "manufacturing" process will be easier and I'll try to make some available for you guys to try out.

I am still waiting on the new mounts which should have been here already. I need to call those guys and see what the hold up it. I want to do some seriously bumpy testing of this remote and mount this weekend.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:37 PM   #985
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Got the 7" ZTE V9 mounted up today and went for a tootle.
Speedo - sweet.
Compass - sweet.
Trip Odo - 0000
Fuel Odo - 000.0

How do you get the trip/fuel working?
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:06 AM   #986
Mr. Fisherman
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Oddometer: 10,657
Saweet!

Quote:
hey y'all. Here is an aluminum version of the remote (courtesy of an inmate out in oregon...thank you keith!!!). It feels nice and sturdy. I am getting very close now. I've been waiting on a chip programmer for weeks now. It's taking forever to arrive from china. Once i get that and can then program the microcontroller before i solder them to the board, the "manufacturing" process will be easier and i'll try to make some available for you guys to try out.

I am still waiting on the new mounts which should have been here already. I need to call those guys and see what the hold up it. I want to do some seriously bumpy testing of this remote and mount this weekend.

Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:17 AM   #987
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Got the 7" ZTE V9 mounted up today and went for a tootle.
Speedo - sweet.
Compass - sweet.
Trip Odo - 0000
Fuel Odo - 000.0

How do you get the trip/fuel working?
Long click the trip odo and hit the reset button that pops up (yes, reset it even though it is at zero). Long click the fuel odo and enter the expected range.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #988
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
Long click the trip odo and hit the reset button that pops up (yes, reset it even though it is at zero). Long click the fuel odo and enter the expected range.
Was sure I did that several times during the ride yesterday.
Will try again today.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:26 PM   #989
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Was sure I did that several times during the ride yesterday.
Will try again today.
I had the same problem once a few weeks ago. I reset the odo and it started counting up. I have not yet fixed the root problem because I have not been able to reproduce it again. Next time I notice it though I will get in there and find the issue though. You must reset both, they are different.

BTW, I'm not seeing these photos I think you are posting. I'd like to though. Hook me up.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:29 AM   #990
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

The mounts for the new remote arrive on Friday. I'll be riding this weekend to test out the design. I've got boxes of parts and tools coming all week. Assuming the new remote electronics and aluminum enclosure combo work as expected and the mounts are tough enough, I should be able to take orders on the remote soon. I am having some problems sourcing a few non electronic components (seals of unusual size). I am happy to report that the light has just appeared at the end of the tunnel though.

I'll post up a video of the new aluminum remote on the WR² this weekend. The thing is dead sexy. I'm still amazed that this project all came together. I've had invaluable assistance from 3 inmates, and they have my respect and gratitude. I've built so many prototypes to get to where I am now; so many hours spent for a project I expect a couple dozen people will be interested in. I'd describe it as a colossal waste of time except that 10 months ago I didn't know a thing about electronics and now I can design and build these things. That has to be worth something.