Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2012, 07:42 AM   #1231
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,210
If you get a text or phone call I can't control how your phone behaves. I run in airplane mode myself to avoid that.

Help Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrolump View Post
I have the charging set up....
ill try to figure out the mashup color coding thing...but my brain is getting near the overflow point. .....ill have to learn how to do that. can you point me to the right tutorial video.

I do have one question though...i have noticed a few times that the screen reverts to the home screen while riding...Ive no idea why...is there some setting i have wrong or some other app interfering?

thanks again for all your help and this truly great App.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:53 AM   #1232
astrolump
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
If you get a text or phone call I can't control how your phone behaves. I run in airplane mode myself to avoid that.
Help Videos

it is when im running in airplane mode.....it reverts to the DSM home screen not the phone home screen. ill be following a track..and look down and see the home screen. Ive only noticed it happening about three times...but it happened yesterday so it came to mind to ask.

"They see me coming on my KLR......They hide their daughters and their PBR......
I'll take the beer,no time for girls......Got a date in the Forest, chasing squirrels. "
astrolump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:05 AM   #1233
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,026
Quote:
it is when im running in airplane mode.....it reverts to the DSM home screen not the phone home screen. ill be following a track..and look down and see the home screen. Ive only noticed it happening about three times...but it happened yesterday so it came to mind to ask.
Do you have the phone is a case or inside of a tank bag or something? My phone does some weird stuff while in my tank bag, things that make NO sense (almost like phantom button pushes, but even weirder like launching music players and such). The second I pull it out of my bag, it stops. I think it might be heat related sometimes, or the cover being pressed really hard when the bag is full and therefore the map pocket is tight.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:08 AM   #1234
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

This has never happened to me. I think sandalscout is on the right track here.

Quote:
Old 06-27-2012, 08:20 AM   #1235
astrolump
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
This has never happened to me. I think sandalscout is on the right track here.
yes it is in the ram case..and before it was in the map pocket of my tank bag.....i did notice that the phone was quite hot when i took it out of the ram case.....hmm... i wonder if this is going to be an issue. i think ill do a little test today and leave the phone and case out in the sun for an hour or so.

"They see me coming on my KLR......They hide their daughters and their PBR......
I'll take the beer,no time for girls......Got a date in the Forest, chasing squirrels. "
Old 06-27-2012, 08:22 AM   #1236
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

I found the aquabox was too hot to suit me. I moved to an otter box and keep an aquabox with me should the weather go bad.

Quote:
yes it is in the ram case..and before it was in the map pocket of my tank bag.....i did notice that the phone was quite hot when i took it out of the ram case.....hmm... i wonder if this is going to be an issue. i think ill do a little test today and leave the phone and case out in the sun for an hour or so.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:47 AM   #1237
astrolump
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I found the aquabox was too hot to suit me. I moved to an otter box and keep an aquabox with me should the weather go bad.
I do have a otter box case of a fashion....not waterproof but tough.
perhaps i can take the front cover out of the ram box for ventilation and put it on in the rain/water crossings/wet t shit contests

Old 06-27-2012, 08:49 AM   #1238
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Excess heat is not kind to electronics so just be thoughtful about that you should be fine.

Quote:
I do have a otter box case of a fashion....not waterproof but tough.
perhaps i can take the front cover out of the ram box for ventilation and put it on in the rain/water crossings/wet t shit contests
Old 06-27-2012, 09:33 AM   #1239
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,026
On really hot long rides, my phone has shut off several times when in my tank bag. It get's quite warm inside it's Otterbox and the tank bag map window. I am ALMOST done building out my dash, it'll now be mounted up there, in the otterbox holster that I'm modifying.

I've also had problems with my headphone amplifier wigging out inside the tank bag, it starts distorting music heavily when it gets hot.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:49 AM   #1240
astrolump
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
On really hot long rides, my phone has shut off several times when in my tank bag. It get's quite warm inside it's Otterbox and the tank bag map window. I am ALMOST done building out my dash, it'll now be mounted up there, in the otterbox holster that I'm modifying.

I've also had problems with my headphone amplifier wigging out inside the tank bag, it starts distorting music heavily when it gets hot.
i just left it out in the south florida sun and humidity for over an hour.....fully boxed up in the ram box.
it never shut off or home screened but it did get quite hot when the sun could hit the front window. the kickstand on my phone was burning hot.
it fully charged then stopped charging....float charge?

ill make a few mods to the ram box,remove the foam spacers... and run it without the window on the clear days...and see how it goes.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:54 AM   #1241
NickJensen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Wow! You are one productive developer!

Crafty,

As a an old programmer, (65 years) I am in awe of just how productive you are. That alone made me part with the bucks to get your app yesterday. Great implementation, fast service and stellar coding! You be the man!

Plus a electronics hacker, a musician and a trail rider as well. Who could ask for more?

I look forward to snagging your remote when it gets fully shaken down. Very creative idea. It will clearly set DualSportMaps into a unique and in-demand biker tool category.

I had trouble getting the look-forward projection mode working. Cycled the world icon but it just stayed as it was. This morning after downloading some USGS Topo's & Google Terran Tiles, it began working. Unknown cause.

Your documentation is all there but spread widely! It takes a bit of youtubing and forum surfing to figure things out. No need to respond. I didn't even want to ask about my projection mode struggles for fear of diluting your development efforts. All in all, your choice of doing further development versus documentation writing is probably the right tradeoff.

Thanks for all your efforts!

PS. I look forward to getting out and riding with this marvelous tool soon!

So what tools are you using for the PC development? And just the Android Toolkit for the phone? I'm jealous of what you've accomplished and all the while as a hobby effort. Wonder what you do for a day job????

NickJensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:09 PM   #1242
NickJensen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Ah.. Discovered Why..

With further YouTubing, I see the Look-Ahead Perspective mode only works in Zoom 15 or greater.

Since it is modal, it might reduce user inquiries/confusion if a pop-up note came up when a user selected it in lower zoom factors. As its is, there seems to be no indication that it was only available in >= Zoom 15.

Nick
NickJensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:14 PM   #1243
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Fyi the latest google maps for android has a feature allowing download of maps for offline use.

Sent from my MB520 using Tapatalk 2

DR650 - Living the Dream!
Escaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:45 AM   #1244
roundtripping
Adventourist

Oddometer: 1,702
So, who's gonna be first with strapping a Nexus 7 with DSM on it on their ride?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

My SPOT Tracker
roundtripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:30 AM   #1245
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
app download question

Quote:
This guy, the Samsung Rugby Smart looks real stout, also ATT. It has a large screen like the Motorola Defy+ has.
Read entire thread cuz Montana go/no go decision was a big one. Bought Rugby referenced above. Have a question/request, sent PM. thanks
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote