Old 07-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #1276
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,255
You need to link it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonerrider View Post
Hello Crafty,

I have what I'm hoping is a pretty easy question.

I've uploaded a gpx file that I got from a friend that has waypoint within it if looked at via google earth. But in the dualsportmap world, all the waypoints are missing. I'd like to, if at all possible, figure out what I'm doing wrong and get these waypoints back.

Background of the gpx file: It started as a gdb file that I converted into gpx via GPSBabel. I then uploaded that gpx file into dualsportmaps and google earth.

Thank you for your help. If all else fails, I can enter the waypoints individually.

Thank you

Tyler
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #1277
zeeede
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
They stay until you explicitly delete them from your phone. You cannot do it through the app so you'd have to do it via a file manager or a PC. They are almost certainly there. You can verify by going into airplane mode and check the map.
Great. A cool feature for a future upgrade might be a listing that tells us the routes that we have map tiles downloaded for. I always seem to have problems downloading map tiles... am I supposed to get a message saying the download is complete? I get notifications saying X number of tiles remaining to be downloaded and just leave my phone sit. I come back some time later and the notifications are gone, so I assume they've downloaded. Always make sure to verify in airplane mode. If I tell it to download that route again, sometimes nothing happens, sometimes it gives me sume number
zeeede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:27 PM   #1278
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

It takes a long time to cache tiles. Purposefully long so as to not offend the source servers. Android has been known to kill off processes that are long running and you are not interacting with it. This may be what is happening to you. To test that hypothesis, you can check the notifications every few minutes I suspect you will never have an issue and the download count will just count down until its finished. I'll make a note to raise the processes "importance" during caching and see if that makes a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeede View Post
Great. A cool feature for a future upgrade might be a listing that tells us the routes that we have map tiles downloaded for. I always seem to have problems downloading map tiles... am I supposed to get a message saying the download is complete? I get notifications saying X number of tiles remaining to be downloaded and just leave my phone sit. I come back some time later and the notifications are gone, so I assume they've downloaded. Always make sure to verify in airplane mode. If I tell it to download that route again, sometimes nothing happens, sometimes it gives me sume number
Old 07-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #1279
zeeede
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 936
Quote:
It takes a long time to cache tiles. Purposefully long so as to not offend the source servers. Android has been known to kill off processes that are long running and you are not interacting with it. This may be what is happening to you. To test that hypothesis, you can check the notifications every few minutes I suspect you will never have an issue and the download count will just count down until its finished. I'll make a note to raise the processes "importance" during caching and see if that makes a difference.

Okay, thanks a lot! I'm sure you hear this all the time, but the app is fantastic. It's the first GPS I've really ridden with (used to hand-write or print turn-by-turn directions from google maps and stick 'em in the map pocket of my tank bag). I can't imagine riding without it now. I use the traffic layer on my way to-from work every day to decide which route to take as well, so thanks for that feature.

I run the app on a Droid Razr Maxx in a Otterbox Commuter Case RAM-mounted with one a slip-grip mount (http://www.ebay.com/itm/SlipGrip-RAM...-/400276464970).

Here's the only pic of it I have online right now. I stopped under some trees to deploy my waterproof rain cover (actually only water-resistant unless I unplug the charger), hence the large margin-of-error circle.

I have another pic I took last weekend while riding that I'll upload and share as well.

zeeede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #1280
astrolump
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
Made it

WELL CRAFTY YOUR APP IS A HIT WITH ME....i keep saying that don't i ?

Im in CT now...in the last 13 days ive gone over 3300 miles...most of it on fire roads or back unmarked pavement following the TET...i used your app he whole way...something like 18k+ waypoints it worked the charm.
i never was without gps and the only hitch was the revert to home screen i mentioned before....

here are some particulars about that...maybe you can find a workaround.
it reverts to home screen when i take a mountain 180 switchback, or the gps freezes for a bit. or i make a sudden rapid change of direction. maybe it is losing gps momentarialy?

is it possible to make it boot back into the map when this happens? if i hit the map key it goes right back to my route....maybe there is some way to skip the home screen when it crashes like that? then it would be perfect.

anyhoo.....all in all I'd fearlessly use your app to travel anywhere...way better than my gps.

since you never stated your preference with my earlier offer....I took the liberty of sending you a goat...it should arrive Friday.

"They see me coming on my KLR......They hide their daughters and their PBR......
I'll take the beer,no time for girls......Got a date in the Forest, chasing squirrels. "
astrolump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #1281
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Thank you, the goat was my preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrolump View Post
WELL CRAFTY YOUR APP IS A HIT WITH ME....i keep saying that don't i ?

Im in CT now...in the last 13 days ive gone over 3300 miles...most of it on fire roads or back unmarked pavement following the TET...i used your app he whole way...something like 18k+ waypoints it worked the charm.
i never was without gps and the only hitch was the revert to home screen i mentioned before....

here are some particulars about that...maybe you can find a workaround.
it reverts to home screen when i take a mountain 180 switchback, or the gps freezes for a bit. or i make a sudden rapid change of direction. maybe it is losing gps momentarialy?

is it possible to make it boot back into the map when this happens? if i hit the map key it goes right back to my route....maybe there is some way to skip the home screen when it crashes like that? then it would be perfect.

anyhoo.....all in all I'd fearlessly use your app to travel anywhere...way better than my gps.

since you never stated your preference with my earlier offer....I took the liberty of sending you a goat...it should arrive Friday.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #1282
Lonerrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
You need to link it up.
I'm not sure what that mean Crafty. If possible, can you expound on what this means. I'm not the brightest user!!
Lonerrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:03 PM   #1283
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonerrider View Post
I'm not sure what that mean Crafty. If possible, can you expound on what this means. I'm not the brightest user!!
Please send a link, or name, or something so I can look at the map you uploaded that is not correct.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:02 PM   #1284
ShastaKLR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Making a track public so i can view on app

I uploaded some maps to dualsportmaps.com but marked them as not public. I now know they need to be public to see on my app. How do I modify an existing track on DSM?

Thanks, Matt
ShastaKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:13 PM   #1285
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

This is not true actually. If you put your username and password into the Settings=>dualsportmaps.com (near the bottom in the app) you can see your private maps from the website.

Watch the youtube videos to learn how to use the website. There are 10 or 12 step by step videos available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShastaKLR View Post
I uploaded some maps to dualsportmaps.com but marked them as not public. I now know they need to be public to see on my app. How do I modify an existing track on DSM?

Thanks, Matt
Old 07-14-2012, 11:49 AM   #1286
Mr. Fisherman
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Oddometer: 10,657
Crafty, I keep trying to make tracks and it seems the longer and more complex I make them the slower the app gets until it stalls. It is frusterating, maybe I am doing something wrong, but I need that level of detail for some of the places I am going.
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #1287
Mr. Fisherman
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Oddometer: 10,657
I am trying again to creat the track I did from Boise to Pocatello mostly on dirt and am getting a Dualsportmaps is not responding due to long scripts.
I am not even half way, do I need to make smaller tracks then stich them together or something?
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:21 PM   #1288
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

A couple of things you can do. First off, DO NOT SNAP TO ROADS UNTIL YOU NEVER NEED TO EDIT IT AGAIN. Your browser will not be able to edit a long track again after it's been snapped.

Second off, keep track segments reasonably short. The issue is with your browser managing all the points in edit mode at the same time, so break them up. On the phone side is will not matter at all. On the browser side it means there are more segments but that isn't terribly annoying. Certainly not compared to it bogging down your browser.

This is not fixable by me because this is a limitation of the Google Maps code library. Google just doesn't let you make complex tracks. Believing in liberty, so I let you push the Google Maps stuff as far as your browser can go and then beyond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman View Post
I am trying again to creat the track I did from Boise to Pocatello mostly on dirt and am getting a Dualsportmaps is not responding due to long scripts.
I am not even half way, do I need to make smaller tracks then stich them together or something?
Old 07-23-2012, 08:53 PM   #1289
BobM
DualSport

Oddometer: 321
Enabling Overlay Maps

I haven't used my overlay maps since I upgraded my HTC Sensation to V 4.02, and I cannot find the "Enable" switch anymore. It used to be under the "Layers" menu item but I know that changed and those items moved to "Settings/Map Appearance" but I think I've tried every command available but I've obviously not found the correct one yet.

I just uploaded some new overlays to DSM and transferred them to my phone. Please tell me where you put "Enable Overlay Maps" setting .....

Bob
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:23 AM   #1290
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

It has not moved. It is still on the Layer sub menu. The one that allows you to select the base map or any of the other overlays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
I haven't used my overlay maps since I upgraded my HTC Sensation to V 4.02, and I cannot find the "Enable" switch anymore. It used to be under the "Layers" menu item but I know that changed and those items moved to "Settings/Map Appearance" but I think I've tried every command available but I've obviously not found the correct one yet.

I just uploaded some new overlays to DSM and transferred them to my phone. Please tell me where you put "Enable Overlay Maps" setting .....

Bob