Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #1321
zeeede
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 890
Help!

Help Crafty!

I made a map with a few tracks in it for my upcoming mini-tour of Northern New England and Southern Quebec. It's a private map called "Puppy Dog Top" on dualsportmaps.com. I had it loaded in the app on my phone yesterday and cached all the map tiles (all 12,000 of 'em, ) Today, I updated the map and added a couple of more smaller tracks while at work (on my lunch break, of course ). When I got home I zoomed into an area that I know the track passes through and hit the DSM search button, and my track doesn't show up! Going to the main menu and hitting the search button, I don't see my map ("Puppy Dog Top") listed. Searching in other areas brings up other tracks. Searching in an area where I know I have private tracks brings up those tracks, too, so I know it's not a problem with my login.

Help! Planning on leaving in the morning. Does it just take some time to find/download it 'cos it's a big file?

A little more info: When I hit the search button on the map screen while zoomed in where the track passes through, it shows me a blank search results box with a "new maps available" message, but nothing comes up.

When I tell it to "download my maps", it tells me 6 maps available (I do have 6, including the missing one), but shows me all but the missing one...
zeeede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:39 PM   #1322
zeeede
Studly Adventurer

I'm guessing this is probably too big to side-load via the email method. Is there a directory in the osmand folder or elsewhere that I can stick it in if I download the .gpx file from dualsportmaps.com to my PC?
Old 08-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #1323
zeeede
Studly Adventurer

I realized that it was probably a whole lot of tracks, so I split it up into two maps now, the original Puppy Dog Top and "Quebec". now shows me I have 7 maps available when I hit "download my maps", but they still don't show up.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #1324
zeeede
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeede View Post
I realized that it was probably a whole lot of tracks, so I split it up into two maps now, the original Puppy Dog Top and "Quebec". now shows me I have 7 maps available when I hit "download my maps", but they still don't show up.
Working now. Dunno what I did, but I did it.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #1325
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,104
Hey, I have a 86 mile track, with several favorites and way points... But , zooming in only makes the track disappear. What gives?
Old 08-11-2012, 04:29 PM   #1326
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Points of Interest?

Hi Crafty,

I upgraded my memory card in my phone and reloaded CA and NV but POI no longer seem to be available. POI is not show as an option to download - is it me or is downloading of POI no longer an option?

Thanks for the great APP!

DR650 - Living the Dream!
Escaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:17 PM   #1327
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,087
Just noticed that Google Maps now does offline maps.

Can your app access the cached GM tiles?

Ignore me if this has been discussed already...
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:18 AM   #1328
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
I think Crafty is on vacation.

Yes App offline caches GM in addition to GM Terrain, GM Satellite, USGS Topo and others. The standard Vector OSM maps are always available offline once downloaded initially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Just noticed that Google Maps now does offline maps.

Can your app access the cached GM tiles?

Ignore me if this has been discussed already...

DR650 - Living the Dream!
Escaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #1329
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaped View Post
I think Crafty is on vacation.

Yes App offline caches GM in addition to GM Terrain, GM Satellite, USGS Topo and others. The standard Vector OSM maps are always available offline once downloaded initially.
I was wondering if the app could access the offline tiles cached by Google Maps.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #1330
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
I was wondering if the app could access the offline tiles cached by Google Maps.
good idea.... but the only tiles gmap will cache is the non cool ones. no Topo, no satellite, etc

going to try it now.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:51 AM   #1331
bikemechanic53
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Android 4.04 on Moto Razr. No GPS?

I 'upgraded' to Android 4.0 recently on my Razr Maxx. Now there is no GPS access in Airplane mode. Which means I can't use DSP off line.

Anyone aware of this issue? Any solutions?

Thx.

Tom
bikemechanic53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:12 PM   #1332
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,494
Gggg
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikemechanic53 View Post
I 'upgraded' to Android 4.0 recently on my Razr Maxx. Now there is no GPS access in Airplane mode. Which means I can't use DSP off line.

Anyone aware of this issue? Any solutions?

Thx.

Tom
Try going to settings and turning GPS on after putting it in airplane mode then report base
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:36 AM   #1333
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
So I had to do a factory reset of my phone. I reinstalled DSM, but now I don't have any offline maps. I went to Settings->Data for Offline Usage->Download Vector maps, and downloading the "Map, Transport, Address US New.Mexico" map. It was the only one you had listed for New Mexico, so it seemed like a safe bet. However, I don't have any offline maps when I turn on airplane mode. I went into "Download Overlay Maps," but I didn't see anything in there for New Mexico either. I don't have any cell service where I'm going, and I want this as a backup, so I was hoping you could tell me what I'm screwing up. I haven't seen anywhere that I can tell it to just download tiles for a specific area. Searching in DSM maps just pulled up routes for the area.

EDIT: When I check out my SD card in a file explorer app, under the Osmand directory, in the tiles folder, there's a ton of tiles that I had downloaded. I just can't access them in the program.. Thoughts?
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."

neo1piv014 screwed with this post 08-19-2012 at 07:45 AM
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #1334
2012BlackKLR650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Talking Add Ice Alert warning?

Hey....not that we all cant just watch the temp, but I think a handy add on would be an audio, and flashing screen alert when the temp drops below 35...or whatever temp you want it set for. I cant find a single app besides ColdSnap frost alert that is supposed to give a notification for diff temps. It doesnt work for crap... I realize that if you are truly offline..no gps and no cell...that this wouldn't work given the capabilities of most droids....BUT...if you are on GPS, or cell..than it should be able to tie in with many weather services.

As far as what some people are using for weather proof....etc..... I will post some pics (actually going to do a whole video of the many farkles I have done on my 2012 KLR650. I have the handlebar bag from KAWI. I have industrial velcro on the side facing me. I have a Droid X2...I got the Triton case with the extended battery. I use ONLY a motorola 12v charger.... I have completely proven that if you use ANY micro charger other than the branded Motorola with the glowing blue symbol.... House charger is the same deal...only motorolas keep up. I have a 12v outlet on my bike...when I used the 'Verizon' car charger...it wouldn't even keep up when using one app...NAV. Now, I can run multiple apps...including any GPS/NAV...no problem.. I have the velcro on the back of the Triton case...so it stays attached to the handlebar bag...not obstructing any view like I think a few of the mounts tend to do... and it STAYS PUT. I have dropped the bike (oops) and that phone stays planted. Now..as far as bad weather... the Triton case does a good job...but it is NOT waterproof...so REI has ipad/iphone/smartphone bags....these are basically ziplocs on steroids...but you can USE the touchscreen. I got a pouch big enough for the whole phone...and on the back, made a slight cutout, but leaving a flap...where I insert the charger. I make sure it is on the bottom/back...and no water can really drip in there. I also have the velcro on this...it does NOT come off. I have used that system..plugged in thru over 500 miles of rain, and sleet and hail....

As far as droid use for us.....they rock. Now, by the end of this year..(there already are a few out there) there should be some new droids on the market. they will be offering WATERPROOF dustproof...and VERY rugged units. There already is a few with 67 ratings... 6 being the highest dust....8 being totally submersible..7 you will NOT have an issue with unless you LEAVE it submerged for 30 minutes. So...my Droid X2 will continue to be the do all workhorse on my bike.... I will upgrade when they make an indestructo unit...which they will.
2012BlackKLR650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #1335
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012BlackKLR650 View Post
As far as droid use for us.....they rock. Now, by the end of this year..(there already are a few out there) there should be some new droids on the market. they will be offering WATERPROOF dustproof...and VERY rugged units. There already is a few with 67 ratings... 6 being the highest dust....8 being totally submersible..7 you will NOT have an issue with unless you LEAVE it submerged for 30 minutes. So...my Droid X2 will continue to be the do all workhorse on my bike.... I will upgrade when they make an indestructo unit...which they will.
Like the Defy/Defy+ and Xperia Active that have been out for over a year?
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote