Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2012, 09:27 PM   #1336
Mr. Fisherman
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Oddometer: 10,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Like the Defy/Defy+ and Xperia Active that have been out for over a year?
And the G'Z One Commando that I have been using... certified tough phone in my book
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:50 AM   #1337
LoneStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
+1. My xperia active has taken a ton of abuse on the bars and is no worse for the wear.
LoneStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #1338
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStrom View Post
+1. My xperia active has taken a ton of abuse on the bars and is no worse for the wear.
Waiting on a bar mount for mine...
Old 08-21-2012, 06:55 PM   #1339
2012BlackKLR650
KTM 690 Enduro *****

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
yes...those are what I meant by...."there are already a few out there" However...their specs compared to most other new droids fall way short outside of their waterproof/ruggedness. The reviews of those phones seemed to all be common in how other than the fact they were rugged....they were mediocre. Camera/video/what os/screen size... I dont think any of those even can get the new ICS for Droid ? Best one seems to be the Defy+...but only a 5mp camera, and VGA video is real disappointing, not to mention no dual core processors.. Anyways....my point was more meant to advocate the use of Droids......AND that I expect more options by all manufacturers with the outdoor use in mind soon :)
2012BlackKLR650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:07 PM   #1340
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Got home to a cool little package from Macedonia this afternoon.
A SportyPal handle bar mount kit for the Xperia Active.
:

NordieBoy screwed with this post 08-21-2012 at 10:17 PM
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:25 PM   #1341
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012BlackKLR650 View Post
yes...those are what I meant by...."there are already a few out there" However...their specs compared to most other new droids fall way short outside of their waterproof/ruggedness. The reviews of those phones seemed to all be common in how other than the fact they were rugged....they were mediocre. Camera/video/what os/screen size... I dont think any of those even can get the new ICS for Droid ? Best one seems to be the Defy+...but only a 5mp camera, and VGA video is real disappointing, not to mention no dual core processors..
I like the size and features of the Active.
At the moment, ICS doesn't fill me with warm fuzzies.
I don't see a pressing need to upgrade to it on the Active yet. I'm willing to wait for the official update in my country. Quite a few countries already have ICS available for the Active already.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:43 AM   #1342
waldrtw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Just wanted to say thanks for a great mapping program. I download this a few weeks ago and used it on my Continental Divide ride for over 2000 miles and 9 days. The App. worked great and I loved it. Most of the guys on the trip were using Garmins and all were jealous of the map detail I had. Routing on tracks would be nice but was not a big deal to me. Thanks again!! Took a few days to figure it out and get all the maps cached that I needed for the trip but but once you get it its awesome!!!!

Tim
1994 Honda VFR 750
1998 Harley 1200 sport
waldrtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:21 AM   #1343
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldrtw View Post
Just wanted to say thanks for a great mapping program. I download this a few weeks ago and used it on my Continental Divide ride for over 2000 miles and 9 days. The App. worked great and I loved it. Most of the guys on the trip were using Garmins and all were jealous of the map detail I had. Routing on tracks would be nice but was not a big deal to me. Thanks again!! Took a few days to figure it out and get all the maps cached that I needed for the trip but but once you get it its awesome!!!!

Tim
I gotta ask, how in the hell did you get the maps to cache? I downloaded the offline vector maps thing, but I can't find where to download the actual tiles.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:02 AM   #1344
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
I gotta ask, how in the hell did you get the maps to cache? I downloaded the offline vector maps thing, but I can't find where to download the actual tiles.

I'm in the same boat.
I made a new track on line but cant figure out how to get it on phone.

tom
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #1345
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommu56 View Post
I'm in the same boat.
I made a new track on line but cant figure out how to get it on phone.

tom
Hell, mine isn't even a line. I'm just trying to get a viewable map in offline mode. I used to have it working, but I had set it up once about six months ago, then did a factory reset, so I lost all settings. Funny thing is, when I browse the SD card, I can see all the tiles still in a folder. They just aren't being used. Can you at least see your map when you're in airplane mode?
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
Old 08-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #1346
zeeede
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 937
Quote:
Hell, mine isn't even a line. I'm just trying to get a viewable map in offline mode. I used to have it working, but I had set it up once about six months ago, then did a factory reset, so I lost all settings. Funny thing is, when I browse the SD card, I can see all the tiles still in a folder. They just aren't being used. Can you at least see your map when you're in airplane mode?
Check to make sure the app is pointing to the right directory.

On my phone, /mnt/sdcard is internal memory; /mnt/sdcard-ext is the external SD card.

You can change the directory my going to dualsportmaps app--> settings --> general --> storage directory. In my case the default setting was /mnt/sdcard. I just added "-ext" (no quotes) to make it /mnt/sdcard-ext
zeeede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:25 PM   #1347
zeeede
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 937
Quote:

Open the map, open the "search" button, and you';ll see a list of maps under "DSM". Select whatever you want to cache map tiles for, hit the menu button, and select "cache selected map tiles". Then select the map(s) you wanna download. To add to the list of maps in search, from the main app screen, search on map, scroll/zoom the map to some area where you know there is a track and hit the search button on your phone (the little magnifying glass icon).

Watch these videos to help you get a feel for how to use the app:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kChx_VPYhVI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7kd_hfpVBc
zeeede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:48 PM   #1348
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeede View Post
Open the map, open the "search" button, and you';ll see a list of maps under "DSM". Select whatever you want to cache map tiles for, hit the menu button, and select "cache selected map tiles". Then select the map(s) you wanna download. To add to the list of maps in search, from the main app screen, search on map, scroll/zoom the map to some area where you know there is a track and hit the search button on your phone (the little magnifying glass icon).

Watch these videos to help you get a feel for how to use the app:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kChx_VPYhVI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7kd_hfpVBc

Just to make sure I understand, you have to select a route/track first, and then you can basically just cache the entire area around it? There's enough tracks around here to make that completely viable. I just wasn't sure if there was an option to just cache a chunk of the map and I was missing it. Thanks a ton, zeede!
Old 08-23-2012, 02:42 PM   #1349
LoneStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Got home to a cool little package from Macedonia this afternoon.
A SportyPal handle bar mount kit for the Xperia Active.
:
I'm really interested to see how you like that mount on your bars. I've got a RAM setup for mine that I use to velcro the xperia to. But I like the looks of your mount.
LoneStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:43 PM   #1350
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,258
Zeedee, thanks for taking care of this. Neo, sorry I fell down on support duty here. I missed an email telling me about a response on the thread some time last week I guess and I didn't know all this chatter was going on after that. I just got a PM telling me about this traffic. You are in the right place for support. I generally try to be prompt. If you have any other questions please keep posting them up. Plenty of people here know what to do.

waldrtw...I am so jealous. That is my dream ride. I made up that really detailed CDR map. I am glad someone is putting it to good use!!

Quote:
Just to make sure I understand, you have to select a route/track first, and then you can basically just cache the entire area around it? There's enough tracks around here to make that completely viable. I just wasn't sure if there was an option to just cache a chunk of the map and I was missing it. Thanks a ton, zeede!
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote