User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #1366
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,177
It's the best feature of the app!

You find you map by moving the map display over a place where a track is and hitting the search button or using Menu=>Search DSM Maps

I suggest you zoom in pretty far or you will end up with a ton of stuff you don't want. Alternately, you can go to the Search screen from the main menu and click Menu=>Download My Maps but that only works if the map you want is under your login AND you have your website credentials plugged into the app's Settings.

Have fun and ride safe....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto gypsy View Post
Ah ha! I didn't realize there was a search function within the app to retrieve my maps on the server. Sorry; don't know how I missed that.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:55 PM   #1367
PNWRider
Live an Adventure!

Oddometer: 27
I have been using it with my nexus 7, seems to work great except the search function for DSM. The extra screen size is very nice.

-Ryan
PNWRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #1368
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWRider View Post
I have been using it with my nexus 7, seems to work great except the search function for DSM. The extra screen size is very nice.

-Ryan
What is the search issue?
Old 09-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #1369
spacekadet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Here is comes - dumb questions

Just found this thread after searching for advice about using mobile phones for trip logging. Previously I have used Nokia maps, which I find pretty good, and a free app called Sports Tracker, which is seriously unsuitable for trip logging of any kind, especially d/s.

As of now I use a 6710 Navigator phone, but looking around to update to a smart phone. Sports Tracker was the only logging software I could find for that phone.

I was mainly hoping for some new app that works with the excellent free, worldwide Nokia maps, but overlays a decent trip logger that enables photos and notes to be added to the log.

The Nokia maps are mainly for "roads" rarher than offroad, but routes can later be uploaded and superimposed on Google maps. That part could have been better.

I've never used dedicated GPS software but I'm aware you have to buy the maps. I guess this product required me to buy maps, right?

Is it the case that you either have to choose city/on-road navigation, or off-road navigation, but you can't have both in the same app?

Could somebody from Australia and/or Indonesia please comment on whether suitable maps are available for dualsportmaps in either of thsoe countries, how often they need to be updated, and how complete they are?

thanks a lot!
spacekadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #1370
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

The app uses OpenStreetMaps which are global and free. You can upload your own custom maps as well which are then available on the app.

The app is for off road riding. There are better options for on road, namely Google Navigator. This app is not for telling you how to get to the coffee shop, its about helping you travel in the back country. So, if that is your interest than I urge you to try it out. If you don't have an Android Phone, I suggest a Sony Xperia Active. It's waterproof, tough, and most excellent!

I attached two images below. One is a custom map from near Melbourne that a user uploaded. Another is the Australian map I just download to my phone to show you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacekadet View Post
Just found this thread after searching for advice about using mobile phones for trip logging. Previously I have used Nokia maps, which I find pretty good, and a free app called Sports Tracker, which is seriously unsuitable for trip logging of any kind, especially d/s.

As of now I use a 6710 Navigator phone, but looking around to update to a smart phone. Sports Tracker was the only logging software I could find for that phone.

I was mainly hoping for some new app that works with the excellent free, worldwide Nokia maps, but overlays a decent trip logger that enables photos and notes to be added to the log.

The Nokia maps are mainly for "roads" rarher than offroad, but routes can later be uploaded and superimposed on Google maps. That part could have been better.

I've never used dedicated GPS software but I'm aware you have to buy the maps. I guess this product required me to buy maps, right?

Is it the case that you either have to choose city/on-road navigation, or off-road navigation, but you can't have both in the same app?

Could somebody from Australia and/or Indonesia please comment on whether suitable maps are available for dualsportmaps in either of thsoe countries, how often they need to be updated, and how complete they are?

thanks a lot!
Old 09-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #1371
PNWRider
Live an Adventure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
What is the search issue?
Sorry I should have explained more. I think you mentioned it earlier, a bug in android jelly bean where search results are not easily selected and unselected. I have not checked recently to see if it has been fixed as it is not an option that I use much and it is a minor issue at that. Over all the nexus 7 and DSM app work great!!

-Ryan
PNWRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:33 PM   #1372
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Ahh yes. That little gem. I have that issued Stared (which means Google will email me when they fix it). Don't expect it to be fixed until a Jelly Bean update. It's an accepted flaw (and therefore on the list of things to fixed by google) but that doesn't really give us a time frame for when they get around to it. Soon I hope, it is annoying but it can be worked around...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWRider View Post
Sorry I should have explained more. I think you mentioned it earlier, a bug in android jelly bean where search results are not easily selected and unselected. I have not checked recently to see if it has been fixed as it is not an option that I use much and it is a minor issue at that. Over all the nexus 7 and DSM app work great!!

-Ryan
Old 09-17-2012, 01:35 AM   #1373
spacekadet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
The app uses OpenStreetMaps which are global and free. You can upload your own custom maps as well which are then available on the app.

The app is for off road riding...
Thanks for that info, it fills in some pretty big gaps in my understanding. I think my dream app would make no distinction between city/urban navigation and "off road" - most journeys start in a town - not necessarily one that I know. But I see dualsportmaps does have some coverage for town for purposes of logging, probably just not for navigating.

I've been reading up on the various competing navigation software available for phones now - it's not 100% clear to me with the Google offering does already support 100% offline downloads, or whether it is still coming. That has been the winning Nokia feature for me for the past couple of years - if I'm going to a country, I download the whole 1GB (or whatever) worth of street maps before I go, at zero cost. Just did this for NZ, where I'm going in January.

While I'm dreaming: I often wish that I my phone could take photos while in navigation mode, by a "hot key" or by the remote control if it's using one (OK the angle would not be right, but that's very easily fixed by rotataing the phone on it's mount, which I can do without stopping). Too many gadgets when travelling! If I could only use all of he features of my phone, I could leave most of them at home.

cheers
spacekadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:08 AM   #1374
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

I don't make a specific distinction between city and off road in the app, but there is a real distinction. Cities are filled with cars and people and change quickly. A city navigation system ought to know where everything is how it is changing in real time and offer alternate routes to where you want to go should a road closure interrupt your travels. What Dual Sport Maps does is provide you with excellent trip planning tools, via the website, and then extraordinary situational awareness while travelling via the app and its (multitude of base maps, overlay maps, and the dual sport maps created with the website ). It was written by me (a rider) distinctly for the purpose of riding where there are no people. Not because I could not afford a Garmin and needed a cheap shabby replacement, but that my Garmin was shabby and I needed something better.

The great thing about using the Android device is that you can have lots of different software on it and can swap between them as necessary. So while I am navigating through the back country I'll have DSM up and running, showing me the path and highlights along it. When I hit a new city and need to find a hotel to take a hot shower, Google Navigator points me to the nearest flea bag motel. Embrace the flexibility of the super computer in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacekadet View Post
Thanks for that info, it fills in some pretty big gaps in my understanding. I think my dream app would make no distinction between city/urban navigation and "off road" - most journeys start in a town - not necessarily one that I know. But I see dualsportmaps does have some coverage for town for purposes of logging, probably just not for navigating.

I've been reading up on the various competing navigation software available for phones now - it's not 100% clear to me with the Google offering does already support 100% offline downloads, or whether it is still coming. That has been the winning Nokia feature for me for the past couple of years - if I'm going to a country, I download the whole 1GB (or whatever) worth of street maps before I go, at zero cost. Just did this for NZ, where I'm going in January.

While I'm dreaming: I often wish that I my phone could take photos while in navigation mode, by a "hot key" or by the remote control if it's using one (OK the angle would not be right, but that's very easily fixed by rotataing the phone on it's mount, which I can do without stopping). Too many gadgets when travelling! If I could only use all of he features of my phone, I could leave most of them at home.

cheers
Old 09-18-2012, 05:04 AM   #1375
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,986
mytouch 4g slide issue:

the physical track pad/Clit/thing doesn't work on current versions of dsm. I've tried reinstalling, clearing caches etc, but all it does is make the app jump between many functions at once.

Also, where is the option to clear a way point once one is selected? I don't want to clear the entire map, just that point!

thanks!
Old 09-18-2012, 05:23 AM   #1376
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P84J4sBa0Jc <==waypoints video

I can't say that I follow your question so watch the video and see if it clarifies things for you. If not, rephrase your question pretending that I've never seen the app. Feel free to add a screen shot for clarity's sake.

Without one of those phones I don't think I can wager a guess as to the problem. I know that is the last thing you want to hear but I don't know how to even begin attacking a problem I've never seen, verified exists in more than one place, or that seems to occur on a single piece of hardware that I've never encountered. This is one of the big challenges with Android (so much darn hardware).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
mytouch 4g slide issue:

the physical track pad/Clit/thing doesn't work on current versions of dsm. I've tried reinstalling, clearing caches etc, but all it does is make the app jump between many functions at once.

Also, where is the option to clear a way point once one is selected? I don't want to clear the entire map, just that point!

thanks!
Old 09-26-2012, 10:03 AM   #1377
llamabomb
Adventurer

Finally bit the bullet and got this for my Nexus 7. I'm headed up to the Northwoods this weekend, can't wait to try it out.
llamabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #1378
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamabomb View Post
Finally bit the bullet and got this for my Nexus 7. I'm headed up to the Northwoods this weekend, can't wait to try it out.
Good luck and be safe. Download your maps, tiles, and tracks before you go.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:56 AM   #1379
reddingnative
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Otter Box for Droid Bionic

I have been using the DSM app on my droid bionic with great success. I read where your android overheated in the aqua box, so you switched to an otter box defender. How is that working out? Additionally, I have a waterproof USB charger for the droid. Here is a link to the product. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfZIA...feature=relmfu
reddingnative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:45 AM   #1380
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

I am pleased to hear the software is working working well for you! I love it and it is nice that others find it useful too.

I got a faux otter box, not the real deal, but it's fine. Not waterproof though. One of these days I'm just going to get a Sony Active.

My remote control is a waterproof USB power source, so I'm am good there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddingnative View Post
I have been using the DSM app on my droid bionic with great success. I read where your android overheated in the aqua box, so you switched to an otter box defender. How is that working out? Additionally, I have a waterproof USB charger for the droid. Here is a link to the product. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfZIA...feature=relmfu