reddingnative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:59 AM   #1382
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddingnative View Post
So, the remote control is available?
If you want to take my bike for a spin it is. I have not been able to get an affordable enclosure sourced for it and I don't really feel like offering it for more than $200 which will be required with the current cost structures I've got. I've found a new a interesting piece of tech that may get the costs way down but they, so far, don't want to talk to me because I am not Toyota or GM. It's really cool tech though. It's not as easy as you think it should be go from prototype to product. Especially when its such a niche thing. There are a few hundred app users. Even if all of you wanted a remote, that would not be enough units to make die casting make sense. The economies of scale are making this harder than I'd like.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:45 PM   #1383
reddingnative
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Remote Control

I've been looking at your progress. It's a great idea. Innovative, like the picture BMW with a joystick instead of a steering wheel.

I have looked at a lot of overpriced GPS units and really like the screen size of my droid bionic. There are Otterbox Defender models out there for $22. delivered. With the mapping you have available, it should work fine.

What do you think about the In-Reach paired with an android phone?

On another note, two weeks ago, I had an opportunity to put DSM to the test. Another rider and I headed out to map a dirt route from Redding to Burney Falls State Park (East), then to McCloud, Ca (North), then to Hwy. 3 (West), then back to Redding via Trinity Lake, Lewiston and French Gulch. Ended up being 400 miles, 100 of it pavement, not by choice.

Long story short, a new hard copy map of the Shasta Trinity National Forest, is a checker board of green (STNF) and white (Private Land). The other rider I was with had charted our route on his GPS prior to the trip. What we encountered were gated roads that are not on the map. So any route you choose, there is no guarantee you will get where you are going. Additionally, the closer you are to a highway, the better the Forest Road markers are. As you get deep into the forest, the signs are missing completely or some folks have changed just one number to make it very confusing.

So, Day 2, going from Burney Falls to McCloud, Ca was very interesting. Hit the road at 9am and finally arrived in McCloud at 1130pm. It was a beautiful starry night. My buddies GPS did not have a good map that identified Forest Roads, but the DSM app. did and at 10pm we were at an intersection with (2) gates and no signs anywhere to be found. My buddy was very frustrated and said we were lost, but obviously all we had to do was backtrack for several hours to get back to the Hwy. 89.

So with the DSM topo map, the Forest Roads were there and labeled, as well as our position. My buddy had done a great job of navigating through a maze of unmarked roads and roads that are not even on the map. We were able to navigate around the gate and get to our camping site in McCloud.

The following day, we rode into Mt. Shasta City and went to the Forest Service office to complain about the map. They explained that the Shasta Trinity National Forest is unusual in that there is so much fragmented land. People have purchased lake front property and now the rest of the population can't get to it. So, their solution, is a map addendum for each area of the forest which detail public access.

It was a great learning experience in good weather.

So, when I opened the DSM app., I did have some fragmented sections. Is that because I didn't have all the data downloaded?
reddingnative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:51 PM   #1384
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Sounds like an adventure. A screen shot of the "fragmented sections" would help me tell you what happened. If you were using the topo maps then yes you likely didn't have all the tiles you needed. That is rather difficult to do because the tile cacher only downloads tiles under your tracks. There is another way that grabs all the tiles but it is not recommended because it hammers the map servers and that is impolite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddingnative View Post
It was a great learning experience in good weather.

So, when I opened the DSM app., I did have some fragmented sections. Is that because I didn't have all the data downloaded?
Old 10-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #1385
David_in_TX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Crafty, We've discussed the enclosure before and I am absolutely certain I could help you. If this is the one thing that's preventing you from marketing the remote I'm telling you it can be solved with off the shelf parts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
If you want to take my bike for a spin it is. I have not been able to get an affordable enclosure sourced for it and I don't really feel like offering it for more than $200 which will be required with the current cost structures I've got. I've found a new a interesting piece of tech that may get the costs way down but they, so far, don't want to talk to me because I am not Toyota or GM. It's really cool tech though. It's not as easy as you think it should be go from prototype to product. Especially when its such a niche thing. There are a few hundred app users. Even if all of you wanted a remote, that would not be enough units to make die casting make sense. The economies of scale are making this harder than I'd like.

http://www.facebook.com/David.Roy.Nichols
David_in_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #1386
BENRON
I'm Mr. Crabtree

Oddometer: 3,484
Crafty-

These recon goggles apparently run on android... They've got a heads up display, with GPS, And a remote!

But they're set up for skiing. A pair of these with a stripped down version of your app would be VERY droolworthy
BENRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #1387
Lonerrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by BENRON View Post
Crafty-

These recon goggles apparently run on android... They've got a heads up display, with GPS, And a remote!

But they're set up for skiing. A pair of these with a stripped down version of your app would be VERY droolworthy

Now that is frickin sweet!! Wow!!
Lonerrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:54 AM   #1388
tijuana
Farkling Around

Oddometer: 203
Oh think Santa is bringing me goggles!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...M&noredirect=1

Heartrate
Altitude
Vertical
Distance
Jump Airtime, Distance, Height and Drop
GPS Location
Chrono/Tracker
Temperature
Run Counter
Stats History with Maximums, Minimums, Averages
Widescreen
Time
Bluetooth Low Energy Remote Control
Navigation
Caller ID
Text Messaging
MP3 Song Playlists
Wireless Compatibility with Select Wearable Sports Video Cameras
Transforms your MOD Live into a Viewfinder
User Configurable Dashboard
Even more Android Apps available from Recon HQ Online...

tijuana screwed with this post 10-21-2012 at 09:26 AM
tijuana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:39 PM   #1389
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
I was just turning some Jeepers onto your site and came to the conclusion that you have the wrong name. Its not just for dualsport bike or bikes at all. Its also a great site for jeepers. I think you should look at rebranding into a overlandermaps or something.
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:41 PM   #1390
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doofenshmirtz View Post
I was just turning some Jeepers onto your site and came to the conclusion that you have the wrong name. Its not just for dualsport bike or bikes at all. Its also a great site for jeepers. I think you should look at rebranding into a overlandermaps or something.
It's for Dual Sport.

They drive the jeeps on road and off don't they?
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #1391
matteo92065
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Thanks for this great app!

I just discovered this program a little bit ago, and I really like it so far. Everything that my garmin(s) has been missing for two decades. I've had time to pick up a used DEFY and all the mounts and cables. I'm still working on getting the Defy working as I need to get a sim card.
I'm having some troubles with DSM overlays. I start with a JPG, then put it into google earth, then align, then "Save place as" to get a kmz file. I then go to DSM overlays, and upload it. It looks like it goes up completely, then gives me a message. The file is ~2Mb. I see that there was someone with the same issue several posts ago. The response was that there was something wrong with the KMZ file, and it was manually fixed?
I want to say thanks again, and I will be purchasing as soon as I can get my new to me droid working.

and... I would like to offer building some aluminum controller cases for you, if they are still needed.
matteo92065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:41 PM   #1392
Lonerrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doofenshmirtz View Post
Unfortunately a lot of jeep trails are not so much for dirt bike trails. I hope the guys that are using it explain in their maps that the trail was created in a jeep.

Just my whining!!
Lonerrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #1393
matteo92065
n00b

Overlay Problem

I've been having problems with my overlays working on DSM.
I tried it on another computer (Mac) and it worked fine. Same exact workflow. The computer it doesn't work on is a PC with windows 7, zone alarm, and maybe a firewall. I don't know why it doesn't work, and I'm out of things to change to get it to work. So, if anyone has the same problem, try a different machine.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:46 PM   #1394
matteo92065
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonerrider View Post
Unfortunately a lot of jeep trails are not so much for dirt bike trails. I hope the guys that are using it explain in their maps that the trail was created in a jeep.

Just my whining!!
I plan on using this software on my new KTM and my Jeep. It should look great with a 7" screen.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:20 AM   #1395
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

app update 0.2.20

I've updated the app with a few repairs. I recent got a new phone without a hard menu button and learned that the soft menu button did not work on the Search screen. (Thanks for the heads up guys :P) This has been repaired. The Download My Maps feature on the Search menu is more interactive now.

I also fixed the file associations with the app so that it will be a little more selective about what files it tells the OS it can open. You should still be able to open GPX files with the app, but you should no longer see the DSM app icon associated with file types other than GPX files.