User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
MrSandman818 OP
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Oddometer: 798
P..PP...Powder Coat!

Heres the maddness as of now. I finally got everything removed and cleaned.

The swing arm fought me the whole way. I even snapped the tab on the right side in half. Its welded back together now so im in the clear.

I spent hours makeing off every bolt thread and machined hole only to learn that they use a high temp tape. So all the tape has to be pulled off and re-taped. FML!

The bolt/washer pile trippled since I took this picture. Im getting the bolt heads done to try something out. I hope it actually lasts.

Heres the pile of parts thats getting sent off to powder coating! The pile on the left will be "safety orange". The pile on the right will be "gloss black".

I changed my mind last minute with the skid plate and upper valance. I was going to do them in gloss black then I wanted to see what it would look like in orange. I hope I didnt make a bad decesion.

1978 Batavus 48
MrSandman818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:26 PM   #2
Groundhog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
MrSandman;
In the early '80s I was paid to build a stroked show&go HD Sportster for a guy. He wanted all the nuts and bolts gold plated. All the small parts were gold too; pipe clamps, carb linkage, even the chain! Everything else was chrome. White pearl paint from a guy who painted Indy cars.
This guy would ride the bike to shows, swap exhaust, chain, etc. for unused duplicates that his girlfriend brought in the van. Swap back and ride home! The bike sat over his mantle in the winter.
Anyway, a couple of things I learned; 1) the plating (and more so powder coating I imagine) adds to the size of bolt and nut dimensions. You might have a hard time getting a socket or proper wrench on them. 2) the shiny stuff peels off the small surfaces pretty easy (I had to keep a small bottle to put gold flakes in - got to be pretty full bottle!)
Doing something like that is a lot more work than it would appear, but satisfying in the end.
Luck
Groundhog

Horsepower determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque determines the size of the hole you make.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:06 PM   #3
MrSandman818 OP
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Groundhog,

I know its gonna be a pain in the ass to reassemble. Ive been going over what I would change in my head for months now and I cant take it anymore. I pulled the bike apart for a oil change then it all went downhill from there. Ill make due though with the odd sized bolts and allens. I got enough tools to make my wife want to divorce me...if she knew how much I spent on them. This is a big step in the right direction for me. Down the road a little im going to have my rims powder coated too. The outter rim and hubs will be done in the same gloss black. The spokes will be done in the same safety orange. It will be hard to relace them I know. But they'll look rad when there done. Haveing a one of a kind set of wheels is never cheap or easy. If it was easy then everybody would be doing it. Thats why theres a beer fridge in the garage. Because something custom pissed us off and we need to drink before we cut the damn thing apart with a torch.

I have the disease where I need to modify everything I own. My 1968 MG Midget that I had since I was 14 is in the very long and drawn out process of haveing a bmw slant 4 with 5 speed getrag tranny installed with a t3/t4 hybred turbo. Everything im doing to that car is custom since no one has done this swap yet. I had to move the motor back 8 inches just to clear the weird oil pan. I appreciate the very sound advise that your giving me but im no stranger to what some would call stupidity or maddness.
1978 Batavus 48
Old 05-26-2011, 08:31 PM   #4
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandman818 View Post
Groundhog,

I know its gonna be a pain in the ass to reassemble. Ive been going over what I would change in my head for months now and I cant take it anymore. I pulled the bike apart for a oil change then it all went downhill from there. Ill make due though with the odd sized bolts and allens. I got enough tools to make my wife want to divorce me...if she knew how much I spent on them. This is a big step in the right direction for me. Down the road a little im going to have my rims powder coated too. The outter rim and hubs will be done in the same gloss black. The spokes will be done in the same safety orange. It will be hard to relace them I know. But they'll look rad when there done. Haveing a one of a kind set of wheels is never cheap or easy. If it was easy then everybody would be doing it. Thats why theres a beer fridge in the garage. Because something custom pissed us off and we need to drink before we cut the damn thing apart with a torch.

I have the disease where I need to modify everything I own. My 1968 MG Midget that I had since I was 14 is in the very long and drawn out process of haveing a bmw slant 4 with 5 speed getrag tranny installed with a t3/t4 hybred turbo. Everything im doing to that car is custom since no one has done this swap yet. I had to move the motor back 8 inches just to clear the weird oil pan. I appreciate the very sound advise that your giving me but im no stranger to what some would call stupidity or maddness.

So you also know that by the time you get that shiny orange skidplate back from the powdercoater, you'll have realized you need a better skidplate, right?

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:14 PM   #5
ten_fiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
So you also know that by the time you get that shiny orange skidplate back from the powdercoater, you'll have realized you need a better skidplate, right?
Wow, didn't notice that earlier. Why would you....

ten_fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:22 PM   #6
ride-for-life
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
AS said above, I would not powder coat the bolts its a waste of money. I have bin in the display trade show industry for 28 years, built and sent thousands of things to powder coaters we learned paint works better on bolts or anodizeing or if your looking for black you can buy grade 8 and change them out. just my 2 cents its your project do it the way you want. If you use a good powder coater they will have plugs for the bushing you will not half to run a drill throw them and the tape works but if you get that clear tube at a hard wear store it come off faster.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:58 AM   #7
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,584
I powder coat most things myself. It's pretty easy (and cheap) to do yourself. The nuts and bolts can be done in a toaster oven. The powder gun and powder is cheap. I have a sandblaster, so I use that for prep.

My results have been great with powder. The flaking off is a non-issue. The tools not fitting is also a non-issue as long as they don't gunk on the powder (good shops won't). The threads are already covered, so that isn't a problem there. I have a converted bread oven I use for larger parts that takes some time to warm up, but works great.

I would have plated all the nuts and bolts with Cadmium as that is the cat's ass of plating long term. Best rust resistance and also adds lubrication qualities. Kind of looks like the factory plating as well.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:27 AM   #8
men8ifr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Oddly enough your bike looks like mine at the moment but that's because mine broke. I was going to try and clean a load of stuff up while I'm in there but time's limited and I want it to remain silver.

I'm very interested to see how the wheels come out, could be a good solution to the chrome peeling spokes.
men8ifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:17 PM   #9
MrSandman818 OP
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten_fiver View Post
Wow, didn't notice that earlier. Why would you....
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
I know im going to need a stronger skid plate down the road. After seeing Eldons after his baja trip makes it that much more evident. But until I actually break mine or get ready to go on some epic off road adventure im going to hold off on the crazy bash plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride-for-life View Post
AS said above, I would not powder coat the bolts its a waste of money. I have bin in the display trade show industry for 28 years, built and sent thousands of things to powder coaters we learned paint works better on bolts or anodizeing or if your looking for black you can buy grade 8 and change them out. just my 2 cents its your project do it the way you want. If you use a good powder coater they will have plugs for the bushing you will not half to run a drill throw them and the tape works but if you get that clear tube at a hard wear store it come off faster.
I just got off the phone with dan950ser and he said the same thing. Use paint and just touch it up as I chip it off. To make life easier I guess Ill pull a good number of the bolts out of the baggies and just try some of the more noticeable bolts and washers for like the fairings, tanks, and number plates. If it doesn't work then Ill sandblast them all and start over.
1978 Batavus 48
Old 05-30-2011, 01:30 PM   #10
MrSandman818 OP
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
I powder coat most things myself. It's pretty easy (and cheap) to do yourself. The nuts and bolts can be done in a toaster oven. The powder gun and powder is cheap. I have a sandblaster, so I use that for prep.

My results have been great with powder. The flaking off is a non-issue. The tools not fitting is also a non-issue as long as they don't gunk on the powder (good shops won't). The threads are already covered, so that isn't a problem there. I have a converted bread oven I use for larger parts that takes some time to warm up, but works great.

I would have plated all the nuts and bolts with Cadmium as that is the cat's ass of plating long term. Best rust resistance and also adds lubrication qualities. Kind of looks like the factory plating as well.
Well I hope that the shop actually uses a thinner coat on the bolt heads.
I keep tpying with the idea of buying a powdercoating gun and doing everything myself. I would just need a oven thats not in my house that would be big enough to do what I needed to. I should just do that and powdercoat my bolt heads myself. Delemas delemas.

As for the cadmium plating. That stuff is definitly good, But im just going for a certial look. Im not trying to have bolts that look like there gold plated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by men8ifr View Post
Oddly enough your bike looks like mine at the moment but that's because mine broke. I was going to try and clean a load of stuff up while I'm in there but time's limited and I want it to remain silver.

I'm very interested to see how the wheels come out, could be a good solution to the chrome peeling spokes.
Sorry to hear that your bikes broken. While your in there plug off all your fuel lines and soak it with superclean then pressurewash it. Im going to do that after I get it to be able to roll again. I even went as far as polishing my headers and mufflers with Blue Magic till they were spotless. Now the headers are a shiny blue (from the heat) and my Akropovics look almost brand new.

As for the rims, I haven't disassembled them for powder coating. Im going to do that at a later date. Too many parts are already off the bike and going to leave my garage. I dont need to keep track of anything else at this time.
1978 Batavus 48
Old 05-30-2011, 07:07 PM   #11
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandman818 View Post
Well I hope that the shop actually uses a thinner coat on the bolt heads.
I keep tpying with the idea of buying a powdercoating gun and doing everything myself. I would just need a oven thats not in my house that would be big enough to do what I needed to. I should just do that and powdercoat my bolt heads myself. Delemas delemas.

As for the cadmium plating. That stuff is definitly good, But im just going for a certial look. Im not trying to have bolts that look like there gold plated.
The gun, powder, and a toaster oven from a thrift store ran me less than $150. The toaster oven is great for doing bolts and small parts.

Real Cad plating is not 'gold' true cad plating actually looks like dull chrome, or maybe aluminum...like this:

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/new_page_26.htm
Old 05-31-2011, 11:47 PM   #12
MrSandman818 OP
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
The gun, powder, and a toaster oven from a thrift store ran me less than $150. The toaster oven is great for doing bolts and small parts.

Real Cad plating is not 'gold' true cad plating actually looks like dull chrome, or maybe aluminum...like this:

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/new_page_26.htm
Thanks for that link, If I were to even toy with the idea of plating I would go with the Phosphate and Oil over Zinc. But I really want a gloss black. So thats outta the question. And yes grade 8 bolts are black and all...but there not shiny and I like shiny things.

And I keep going back and forth on buying a powder coating setup which is very reasonably priced. Only real problem with that is that im moving to North Carolina this fall and I already have waaaaay too many tools, specialty tools, bikes, an atc, mg midget, toy hauler, and house hold junk. So I gotta hold off on adding more to my ever growing pile of junk! Im sure powdercoating right now isnt really the best idea but who said I was smart!
1978 Batavus 48
Old 06-10-2011, 04:28 PM   #13
MrSandman818 OP
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

This isnt powdercoated but heres a sample of whats to come.

I couldnt get the lock out of the gas cap so I just spray painted it. I should get my parts back either this Saturday or early next week!!!! I cant wait!
1978 Batavus 48
Old 06-17-2011, 06:47 PM   #14
MrSandman818 OP
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Talking

It's heeeere!

Today must be a dual sport holiday! I got my powdercoated parts and galfer rotors and pads within 30 minutes of each other! My wife was smart enough to not ask how much it all cost.
I also got mt advmonster voltmeter.
I'll post pictures when my interwebs goes off strike. Thank god for iPhones.
1978 Batavus 48

MrSandman818 screwed with this post 06-17-2011 at 10:47 PM
Old 06-17-2011, 07:45 PM   #15
MrSandman818 OP
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Heres everything minus the skid plate and bridge. He did those in gloss black as well because he wasn't paying attention to me apparently.
Everything turned out pretty nice. A few little blemishes here and there and the orange on some of the bolts was a tad thin in a couple spots. But overall im very happy with the results.

Heres the pile of parts that I got today including brakes!

New rear brake

Heres the heat shield with an orange bolt
1978 Batavus 48