User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2013, 07:06 AM   #166
SquirrelyGrl OP
Squirrely Girl

Oddometer: 893
I see that RedBud!

You know I been busy, I was negative financially when I got back so I've been busting butt working.
My car's been in the shop for almost a month now.
My grandmother past away 2 weeks ago
I've been in charge of the antique store for the past week while mom & dad went to Ireland.

Golly!!! I sure did get busy for a bit.

But........... here's a teaser, as I am making progress. I've uploaded all the photos from the camera today

Old 10-31-2013, 11:24 AM   #167
SquirrelyGrl OP
Squirrely Girl

West Trip: September 13 thru October 2

After rushing to get all my work done in the North Ga mountains, I finally had a morning to pack everything for the trip (the afternoon I was supposed to leave )
Abhulgan & I had already put the bikes on the trailer and only had to put what little groceries for the ride to Colorado Springs in the truck. I also had my stack of 5 Vogue magazines to keep me entertained while riding in the truck.

Here's the last photo of the DR in TN. I'm sure it was sad to be in a foreign place for 2 weeks & with so many miles on her.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:13 PM   #168
SquirrelyGrl OP
Squirrely Girl

We took the I-24 to Kentucky. We hit Hwy 60 (Hinkleville Rd turns into Paducah). We found ourselves in Cairo, Missouri. I'm pretty sure it was Cairo that had old 1930's industrial buildings, the stocky/blocky type banks, courthouse and several other buildings thru town that looked really neat. One door to a bank had brass on glass doors, designed like a maze. I would really like to go back to that town and check it out.
Crossing one of the steel bridges before Cairo.....

A cool shot going underneath the bridge....

SquirrelyGrl screwed with this post 11-20-2013 at 09:14 PM Reason: adding pic
SquirrelyGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:27 PM   #169
SquirrelyGrl OP
Squirrely Girl

We skirted around St Louis and continued on into the night past Kansas City and stopped at a rest area around 2am.
The next morning we rolled through Kansas into Colorful Colorado. We saw several rain showers off in the distances and
were glad not to be in them, also hoping it wasn't to doom our adventure either. We left Chattanooga around 2pm Friday
afternoon and got into Colorado Springs by 7pm Saturday night.
Sunday morning was awesome, as my cousin had made some strawberry pancakes, coffee, muffins and it was a cloudy morning
but was looking good with a full belly

What a strange neighborhood tho, they didn't have mailboxes in the subdivision, so I dropped my bill off at the community
mega box. Then on to the gas station closer to town.
But that was the first of few debacles, Brent's KLR didn't start back up. :( He took off the seat, checked the wires,
checked everything. Puzzled, he put everything back together, gathered his tools prepared to roll the bike out from the
gas pumps. In spite of himself, he pushed the ignition one last time. Behold!!! The Killer lived again!!!!

We took our luck with us to our first stop.......... The Garden of the Gods!

A handful of photos.....

Nasturiums in front of a tourist shop in Garden of the Gods

Due to the massive amount of rain, some of the roads in Manitou Springs were still closed. Only the Interstate had
re-opened on Saturday in order to get into the mountians. Water was still flooding in the streets in Manitou Springs.
Our planned route was out the window to get to Rampart Range. But we got there none the less, via interstate.

An intersection while cruising thru Rampart Range;

A shot of the DR coming out of an evergreen forest of trees, before we got to the mine in Rampart Range.

Brent walking thru crushed quartz towards the mine

SquirrelyGrl screwed with this post 11-20-2013 at 09:18 PM
Old 10-31-2013, 02:48 PM   #170
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,205
Old 10-31-2013, 02:51 PM   #171
SquirrelyGrl OP
Squirrely Girl

Small native bells, must love quartz :)

This was at the end of our romping in Rampart Range. I believe it was something to do with a science/environment school.
But also it was at one time a big ranch that had a dance hall and several other buildings, not owned by the NPS they have
kept the big hall building here in nice shape.

This here was a road after passing through the frontrange and where all the dark clouds are, I believe that is the
direction of South Park. But we were hustling to get to a camp.

The NPS seems to be using a third party to run the campgrounds for them. Our first camp option was going to be $6 per
motorbike, daily, in addition to a $12 a night camp fee.
So we ventured on, to hunt for Selkirk CG, in hopes of having primitive camping available.
Riding back thru South Park, it had started to rain on us. I was freezing, my hands, feet and body were soooo cold.
But the thoughts of camp are always what make it worth the riding. My feet were about the only things dry and golly
I sure do have some nice boots. By the time we set up camp tho, it had stopped raining and we were both in good spirits
again, as it was still late afternoon. Around dinner time tho, it started raining again. I didn't have a rain jacket and Brent
didn't want to ride back to that Como B&B. He stood out in the rain and cooked our Chicken a la King.
Boy ~ was that the warmest and bestest dinner.
This marsh was our backyard for two nights, while staying in the primitive camping at Selkirk.

Brent snuggled in his bag, while I'm up reading my Vogue magazine, he knows that kitten photo was cute...

The next morning the rain had showered snow on the mountians.

Frozen the water on the surrounding pines.

Our tent site in the pines...

SquirrelyGrl screwed with this post 11-20-2013 at 09:24 PM Reason: add photos
Old 11-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #172
SquirrelyGrl OP
Squirrely Girl

Our morning attempt hunting for a trail that would be another pass, other than Boreas Pass. Great view (the photos above are from that trail looking back), but as I was struggling with the DR, Brent had already made it to the small meadow just farther up to the right, and he was turning around by the time I put my camera back in its bag.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:29 PM   #173
SquirrelyGrl OP
Squirrely Girl

So turning around we went the guaranteed way across the mountain towards Breckenridge, Co
A ghost town of a train spot, they had some neat info about the grand times of the Pass.

On the way down the other side of the Mtn towards Breckenridge....

Just for some of those who are Starbux fanatics.... we found a convenient spot across the local one in Breckenridge.

We had a good lunch at one of the local places. We hoped the rain clouds would continue to dodge us thru lunch.
My gas receipt from the pump, before heading on our ghost of a trail..

SquirrelyGrl screwed with this post 11-20-2013 at 09:26 PM
Old 11-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #174
SquirrelyGrl OP
Squirrely Girl

We journeyed North of Breckenridge in hopes of finding another awesome road to connect us with another adventure.
Well......... it didn't turn out that way on Plan A......

We got a bit farther than this point, but it pittled out, and the KLR at one point had to take a nap on this road

We got back to the main road, and ventured North again, riding thru some construction. We turned right and found an old mine.

Directly behind the DR, across from the road we used to park at this gate, there was a wooden fence and a small parking lot. & So cool what we saw!

A Cow & her calves! Awe!!
Old 11-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #175
SquirrelyGrl OP
Squirrely Girl

We headed on, passing some Dog Sledding Trails and what we thought was our road we continued up the mountain....

We got to the top and ran a few of the bunny trails there. One was an old quad trail that eventually had a tree on the trail. We turned and got back to the main intersection at the top...

Only to find out, this was not Georgia Pass Road....

We went back down to the very bottom of the mountain and took a different road than the one we were on.
Georgia Pass was seriously one of the toughest trails I have ever, ever been on & I wasn't even loaded with all my gear. I thought I wouldn't make it there for a minute as the KLR kept on going, never stopping. I had to pick up the DR a couple times, while Brent was Moose watching. I'm a pansy anyways when it comes to tough trails

But it was seriously a fun one.

Here we are at the top of Georgia Pass,

One of the trails we took, in thoughts of it heading towards camp;

The rain showers we had dodged all day

Brent heading my way, after the rain we had the day prior, he decided to pick up the tarp we both passed by (he didn't pack the Noah's Tarp).

SquirrelyGrl screwed with this post 11-20-2013 at 09:26 PM Reason: deleting a replica pic
Old 11-18-2013, 06:40 PM   #176
SquirrelyGrl OP
Squirrely Girl

After the break atop the meadow, watching the rain, hoping not to pull our new find of a tarp....
The DR wouldn't start , luckily it was just the battery got unplugged Easy fix, it was running again!

Continuing the attempted road towards camp;

Heading in the right direction towards camp;

Us stopping at Como, checking out one of the abandoned buildings;

We got to camp safe & sound. I fooled around with damp wood and got what little dry wood I could get to burn and what little bit of liken I could get Brent to scavenge for me, I had a weak fire when our neighbor for the past couple of days stopped by.

He was a cool guy, browsed the forum a few times back in the day, had a KLR and he pointed us in the right direction for the road we were looking for in the beginning of the day.

The next morning, breaking down camp;

We left in search of the phantom road to lead us over the mountain....

& the DR decided to take a nap

Brent was looooong gone and out of the intercom reception. So I got back on and started up, and it took quite a bit of effort. But when I got to the top, I tooted my lil DR horn, I was soooo excited!!

I caught up with Brent, and we played around on a couple of trails at the top of the pass. He continued ahead of me on this one;

He made just shy of the top. While Brent was attempting the road, our neighbor walked right out of the trees to my left. He had his hunting gear on and several layers of clothes. He had said his son was hunting with him today, and had alerted him of my tooting up the mountain on the DR
A look to the right;
Old 11-19-2013, 03:45 AM   #177
_anatic
Plated

Oddometer: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelyGrl View Post

Are you telling him (the DR) he's going through there so he might as well accept it?

Nice pics, keep it up.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:11 AM   #178
SquirrelyGrl OP
Squirrely Girl

That was me looking beaten & tired, from the Ga Pass road, that I was pointing at.

I'm sure the DR would have taken a nap on that spot, if I told it, we had to go down that!

I'll try to get some more posted up tonight!
Old 11-20-2013, 06:20 AM   #179
Al Tuna
PUI... Deal with it

Oddometer: 12,152
Good stuff Girl...

BTW. tell AB to show up in the Who's Awake? thread

Under construction
Al Tuna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:07 PM   #180
SquirrelyGrl OP
Squirrely Girl

I sure will Tuna.

He was cruising in there the other night, & commented on how late a post of yours was & I told him you were a late-nighter