Old 10-28-2013, 06:55 AM   #406
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
good or bad for what purpose?

Housing? Schools? Riding? Riding?

Riding is not good in the immediate area, you gotta go to Mexico or up to the HillCountry.
Good for staying alive. Safe. I've lived in TJ for the last 19 years but the locals I talked to even say don't go down at night to Reynosa. Have they watched too much discovery channel?
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:20 AM   #407
WeazyBuddha OP
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,147
The U.S. side of the border is pretty much average, not much different than other parts of the U.S. it seems to me.

Reynosa and other border cities are relatively safe for visitors (vs. locals or those in the drug trade) with the usual caveats about staying away from seedy areas. If given a choice I'd go for lunch rather than dinner. Night clubs I would stay away from altogether.

Lots of locals used to go to Reynosa for evening dinners but I suspect it is not the case anymore.

My supervisor and I used to go to Reynosa for dinner semi regularly to a pretty nice restaurant. That stopped when, I think it was the chief of police or someone of a similar position, was shot (we were not there at the time).
Old 10-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #408
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Moving to McAllen in a few months. I'm in town tomorrow before I head back west to TJ to visit my fam.

What areas are good/bad. I'm a white boy and I speaky.

Jeremy

It's been about 2 years since I left the RGV but a couple of thoughts immediately come to mind:

* you would have to really work at it to get in trouble in the tourist area of Nuevo Progreso. When I was last there the down economy was really hitting the little town, but I swear a tourist could shoot someone and the body would lay in the street for half a day because no one wants to mess with the gringos.

* I used to go downtown Reynosa to a bar called the Mission Bar. Never had a bit of trouble down there, was a regular and was always treated very, very well by even the folks on the street (my bike and I stood out I am sure). There was a time when the downtown was empty after dark but usually it's very vibrant down there. Perfectly safe. A little oasis.

* There is a place called the HEB Plaza that has a Sanborn's Restaurant and a Sierra Nevada faux brew pub outside. Very upscale area (there is a jeweler inside that sells and repairs Rolexes). Long story short I used to show people around and tell them this was the most dangerous place that they had been to all day. That's because a) there is a grate in the street that fills with water on a rainy day. You can't see it and it will trap a motorcycle wheel. b) there really has been a shoot out or two because ... duh ... the cartel officers understandably like to eat and shop at a nice place too, and c) I almost got run over by a Mexican soccer mom driving a Porsche Turbo Cayenne and talking on a cell phone.

So I'd take the advice of the other guys who are still local but I wouldn't sweat it too much. Go during the day and you won't have any trouble. Go to the Centro of Reynosa at night and it's only 8 blocks to the border.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:56 PM   #409
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Night clubs I would stay away from altogether.

I think that most of them around the border crossing have pretty well closed up anyway.

There was a place down the street from the Mission Bar that always had a crowd. I remember mostly because it's a one-way street (like most of downtown Reynosa) and I'd go by on the way home. Rumor had it that it was a tit bar. Someone threw a grenade into the crowd one night but I don't think anyone got seriously injured.

One day someone threw two grenades against the wall of the police station at Boys Town. I was curious so I went down there that night. It was business as usual.

No one was hurt in that episode either. There is a recurring theme here.

About that time some US reporter was holed up in a hotel reporting that he could hear gunfire in the distance and that he was scared to death. I recognized the area and realized that he was just down the street from the Mission Bar, near that supposed tit club, and at the southern end of the walking mall. So don't believe everything that you hear about trouble.

Quote:

Lots of locals used to go to Reynosa for evening dinners but I suspect it is not the case anymore.

The family that owns the Mission Bar owns three nearby restaurants. They will take your order and deliver to the bar.

That's a safe way to start out. Unless things have changed dramatically in 2 years I wouldn't have any trouble walking around the Centro at night or down to the walking mall at the other corner of the Centro. There are plenty of restaurants in that area.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:57 PM   #410
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks everybody. The longer version is: I have two jobs in McAllen and Loredo. I wanted to live in the city since in the last year I've been north of Reno, and if I need anything, I have to go into town. An hour away. That had kept me from looking at anything in between the two cities and staying in civilization.

I'm certainly open to other opinions, I have a month or two to make a decision. And i'm subscribed!
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:04 AM   #411
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Thanks everybody. The longer version is: I have two jobs in McAllen and Loredo. I wanted to live in the city since in the last year I've been north of Reno, and if I need anything, I have to go into town. An hour away. That had kept me from looking at anything in between the two cities and staying in civilization.

I'm certainly open to other opinions, I have a month or two to make a decision. And i'm subscribed!

Nuevo Laredo is surprisingly vibrant after dark, considering what they have been through for the last decade. I often cross at Bridge #1 and hang for a day or two at an open air bar that is literally in sight of the border crossing. There is a nice hotel maybe 8 blocks away. Maison something or other. Send me a PM if you want me to look it up.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:54 PM   #412
Dr. Schittbaum
Snack Man

Oddometer: 103
Hola

Hey this thread seems a little slow but I will be moving to Mcallen or Mission in the beginning of January to start a new job at a maquila in Reynosa.

I just sold my other bikes and picked up a new to me R1150GS Adventure in Portland, OR and road it back here to Phoenix.

Looking forward to adventures in the gulf area and mexico!

if anyone has any tips for living in the area please share!
Old 11-21-2013, 09:10 PM   #413
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Schittbaum View Post
Hey this thread seems a little slow but I will be moving to Mcallen or Mission in the beginning of January to start a new job at a maquila in Reynosa.

I just sold my other bikes and picked up a new to me R1150GS Adventure in Portland, OR and road it back here to Phoenix.

Looking forward to adventures in the gulf area and mexico!

if anyone has any tips for living in the area please share!
If you didn't notice, I'll be there around the same time from near Reno.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:31 PM   #414
Dr. Schittbaum
Snack Man

Quote:
If you didn't notice, I'll be there around the same time from near Reno.
awesome! will you be living there too or just passing through?

we'll have to grab a drink!
Old 11-21-2013, 10:48 PM   #415
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Schittbaum View Post
awesome! will you be living there too or just passing through?

we'll have to grab a drink!
Living for about 8 months.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:27 AM   #416
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,431
Looking forward to meeting you folks when you arrive!

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 4
Old 11-22-2013, 06:18 AM   #417
WeazyBuddha OP
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,147
What Pilot815 said.

A dearth of good riding but a number of good peeps in the area, Mexico is close by, and the Hill Country is about 300 miles away.

You both have an open invitation to casa WB for a beer, or whatever beverages might be at hand if you don't drink.

If I would get off my lazy butt I'd host another get together and perhaps entice the great Arte, of Is Mexico Safe fame, to make the trek over from Reynosa.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:47 AM   #418
Dr. Schittbaum
Snack Man

thanks for the hospitality--i will be in contact!
Old 11-22-2013, 08:25 AM   #419
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

I've lived in TJ for 10 years and I get the, "it's just not the same over here dude," when I was asking local about going into Reynosa. To be fair, many in SD say the same thing, but I can "feel" a difference in McAllen.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:15 AM   #420
Arte
Stuck in the 80's

Oddometer: 1,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
The family that owns the Mission Bar owns three nearby restaurants. They will take your order and deliver to the bar.

That's a safe way to start out. Unless things have changed dramatically in 2 years I wouldn't have any trouble walking around the Centro at night or down to the walking mall at the other corner of the Centro. There are plenty of restaurants in that area.
The only change I can tell is that the street of Mission Bar is now a pedestrian area only. No vehicles allowed. I think the bar is still open.

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote