ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2014, 03:47 PM   #1
ben2go OP
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,197
Recommend me a wheel builder in Spartanburg/Greenville SC area

The bike, 2000 V Star 650 Classic aka XVS650AC.

The problem,repeated broken spokes.

Solutions tried so far,replace broken spokes and true wheel.Checked all the wheel bearings.

Suggested repair,upgrade to thicker spokes from Buchanan's.

If I buy new spokes,the entire wheel has to come apart to remove the inner spokes.I have built bicycle wheels with long flexy spokes.These really short thick spokes are a bigger PITA and with the huge hub,I'm not sure I have the patience to reassemble the wheel.

Can someone recommend a reliable shop that builds wheels around Spartanburg/Greenville SC area.I can't go much out of these areas.I am really busy to-ing and fro-ing the kids.

I am trying to post a pic but flickr won't allow me to sign in.

Finally had to use my son's Crapbook to sign in.

This wheel is a pita to deal with.

ben2go screwed with this post 11-10-2014 at 04:21 PM
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 01:29 PM   #2
ben2go OP
Moto Flunky

Just wanted to get this back up and hope for a response.I may make a post else where for help rebuilding my wheels.I'm now considering doing the front one just to be sure I have two perfect wheels.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:58 PM   #3
Honkylicious
sup?

Oddometer: 1,079
Can any dealers help? Wish I had an answere for you.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:51 PM   #4
ben2go OP
Moto Flunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkylicious View Post
Can any dealers help? Wish I had an answere for you.
I quit dealers years ago.Every one I tried dealing with,gave me back a bike that was broken,even after doing basic maintenance.I fixed a lot of dealer screw ups on this bike already,stripped bolt holes,improperly installed bulbs,mis adjusted clutch and rear brake.There's more I can't think of right now.I have always done my own maintenance,unless I needed special equipment to make the repairs.After all the dealership mishaps,I started buy my own specialty tools as I need them.It's cheaper than returns to the dealer and saves down time for me.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:07 PM   #5
VACommuter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
Can't help you with a local fix. I did gernade a front and rear wheel on my hacked KLR. The front was rebuilt by Woody's and cost less than the local dealer. The rear was cracked across a nipple and declared unrepairable. I was very satisfied by the front wheel . I had a good experiance with Woody's. I have 3 KLRs and actually picked up 2 sets of spare wheels because I ride hard and am a really fat fucker.

Off topic slightly but I had a new trek hybrid bicycle that kept breaking spokes on the rear wheel. I kept taking it back for warranty repairs. They finally got tired of me and rebuilding my wheel so they put on a wheel from a tandem bike. Never had a problem after that.

VAC
2003 KLR 685 "Street Ugly"
2007 KLR 719 "Muscles from Brussels"
VACommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:29 PM   #6
ben2go OP
Moto Flunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACommuter View Post
Can't help you with a local fix. I did gernade a front and rear wheel on my hacked KLR. The front was rebuilt by Woody's and cost less than the local dealer. The rear was cracked across a nipple and declared unrepairable. I was very satisfied by the front wheel . I had a good experiance with Woody's. I have 3 KLRs and actually picked up 2 sets of spare wheels because I ride hard and am a really fat fucker.

Off topic slightly but I had a new trek hybrid bicycle that kept breaking spokes on the rear wheel. I kept taking it back for warranty repairs. They finally got tired of me and rebuilding my wheel so they put on a wheel from a tandem bike. Never had a problem after that.

VAC
I checked Woody's.They don't have the rim I want,and I didn't think to ask them about spokes.They usually have to be custom cut for a V star 650 rear wheel because they are so short.I think thicker spokes and a wider rim will cure the problem.I'm a compact fatty.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:48 PM   #7
red bud
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 5,375
i'd ask trophymoto, i can't remember the name of his shop but it's just out of greenville

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 05:36 PM   #8
Tukata
ADV Demo Rider

Oddometer: 1,441
Search for Simpson cycles. They have a good wheel contact that I've used for 10 years now. Will's wheels I believe is the guy.
Tukata is offline   Reply With Quote