ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2014, 06:48 AM   #886
RebRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
hope to get it back on road this weekend.... got gas connector replaced
hate paying 5.99 for one viton O-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconx84 View Post
What kid of tire pressure were you running? Bias ply or radial?
I was running 40 psi on radial tire
When I talked to the shinko tire rep they recommended 40 psi for road use and only use the radial type for the heavier adv bikes. 40 psi is higher than the sidewall recommends but he assured me that was the newer recommendation. Due to my work commute I'm on the slab for at least 20-40 miles one way and I haven't yet had an issue over 8k miles.

Also check to see if warranty covers it. I heard of several people getting warranty replacements after tread blocks tearing.

I ordered the tires from Competition Accessories - i have to ship them back to them to see about warranty coverage... not sure if it is worth sending them back... going to put a Metzler Torrance on it this week. oh the front tire is okay for now...

As far as fuel goes, according to the following website triumph has been compatible since 1994 (scroll all the way down) not sure how reliable the site is -- www.mag-uk.org/en/campaignsdetail/a6973

the whole E10 debate... dont know who to believe... but i know it has caused issues with 2cycle mix in chain saws and weed eaters and a riding mower.... I try now to put Liberty's E10 Free gas in them... get it either in Winchester on route 7 or 50 or the Liberty in Charles Town.
2001 Triumph Tiger
RebRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:28 PM   #887
Falconx84
Lurker

Oddometer: 370
I'd try emailing shinko on the replacement. I was really debating about trying their tires because of tread separation issues but it seemed that they had a good policy on replacing bad tires and phrank2k2 had great luck with his shinko ravens so I took the plunge. Email them directly and they may contact the dealer on your behalf to issue a replacement. I know its happened before.

I'm very anti e10. It causes far more issues than it resolves starting from the farm and on, but that's for CSM and politicians. I know there's been many boats that have needed engine replacements and small motors that have been destroyed from ethanol.

With that said and politics aside, e10 seems to only be an issue when the gas is allowed to sit for over a month. It allows the alcohol to separate so you get alcohol and gas vs gasohol. At least part of the reason for small engine issues is that most people will only use 5 gallons of fuel over the course of a season so the tank gets filled once. And its so damn expensive that no one wants to discard the fuel left over from last year so you run it anyway.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:27 PM   #888
luvindacars8897
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Talking

Grab - Jefferson Orchards on old rt 9

Tag is across the street from this train station in a town that may flood if we get too much rain!

"Ruck" is behind this sign covered up with some grass. (hopefully out of sight from the tourists walking around.)

Also right next door is probably one of the best BBQ places located in an old train car.
luvindacars8897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:28 PM   #889
RebRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

luvindacars8897 - nice tag... looks like you beat the rain. suppose to be a great 4th of July weekend... if we lose the duck wont be the first one... or the last one....

Falconx84,

well good news bad news on tire replacment.... guess i should have sent email before ordering a Metzler Tourance.... which i got mounted today...

Sent email today... and with the holiday weekend coming up did not expect to hear back from them... WRONG....

This is determined to be a warranty issue with the tire. Please contact “Competition Accessories” For a warranty replacement. Just have them send you a new tire and we will send you a Shipping Call Tag so we can get the bad tire back for testing.........

well guess i will have a Shinko 705 for the future.

Hope everyone has a Safe and Fun 4th of July.
2001 Triumph Tiger
Old 07-03-2014, 07:32 PM   #890
phrank2k11
duck hunter

Oddometer: 38
Shinko = awesome! I emailed them asking for stickers and they sent me a shirt =)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
phrank2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:18 AM   #891
Falconx84
Lurker

Reb- glad to hear they're taking care of you. If for some reason you decided not to use the shinko, let me know ... I think I only have about 3k miles left on my rear. Its the best tire I've found for the type of riding I do.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:35 AM   #892
RebRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconx84 View Post
Reb- glad to hear they're taking care of you. If for some reason you decided not to use the shinko, let me know ... I think I only have about 3k miles left on my rear. Its the best tire I've found for the type of riding I do.
i like the tire, not sure what will do, will keep you in mind if i get rid of it... hoping it was just a fluke...

i am wondering if the extended Interstate riding on super hot day (June 18th) had anything to do with it separating or just was unlucky to get a defective tire... glad shinko working with me so quickly.
2001 Triumph Tiger
Old 09-01-2014, 10:13 AM   #893
Falconx84
Lurker

"grab" & tag

So phrank and I decided to take advantage of the holiday weekend and rescue the duck from harpers ferry.

Unfortunately he was nowhere to be found.

Fortunately phrank had a spare duck for just such an occasion so we took a trip back west across 2 county lines and past a castle to a panoramic view of 3 states. The new duck, let's call her Nessa, is on my top box. The red circle shows her hiding spot.

Happy hunting
Old 09-01-2014, 10:22 AM   #894
bracky72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 918
I just rode past there yesterday. Maybe I passed you.

I was coming from Paw paw riding the old railroad grade.

https://vimeo.com/104886655
bracky72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:31 PM   #895
Falconx84
Lurker

Yeah, I think you did... I remember waving to a guy in a yellow suit on a blue dual sport on rt 9 on our way up.

Phrank was in front wearing black textile, blue bike and I was wearing a gray/hi viz Olympia steath.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:20 PM   #896
bracky72
Studly Adventurer

That fits my description.

I thought I was going to get rained on. Not a drop. lol
Old 09-01-2014, 06:25 PM   #897
phrank2k11
duck hunter

Oddometer: 38
Yeah, we were one step away from rain all day. Only had a few drops catch up with us around Shepherdstown.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
phrank2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:29 AM   #898
RebRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

ducks come and go...

oh well, probably made some kid happy.... look mommy and daddy someone lost a duck, can I take it home.

It was a nice weekend to ride between thunder storms. Glad to see the tag move after sitting for two months .... Summer is a busy time...

hope all had a safe summer and labor day weekend.
2001 Triumph Tiger
Old 09-14-2014, 03:02 PM   #899
RebRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

nice weekend.....

Surprised someone (including southern Northwestern VA tag inmates or some luker)didn't get this this weekend....
2001 Triumph Tiger
Old 09-14-2014, 04:43 PM   #900
bracky72
Studly Adventurer

I went to Hershey Park.

https://vimeo.com/106095786