User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2015, 05:14 PM   #1
nailit2em OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Hoping we don't get eaten by a bear tour....actually just hoping to see one

In less than 10 hours I am heading for Salt Lake City from Kansas City. It's only 1100 miles...in one day....no problem...

I always seem to start our trips off with an iron butt ride. Needless to say my wife is flying to Salt Lake. She wants nothing to do with a 1000 mile plus day!

We will be visiting Jackson, Wy, Yellowstone, Glacier, Spokane, Seattle, Mt. Rainier, Portland, Redwoods, Lake Tahoe, Moab then home. She will be departing from another airport so that I can almost do another iron butt home.

We have traveled many states and locations on motorcycle and other means where bear are known to frequent. WE HAVE NEVER SEEN ONE IN THE WILD!!!! We are hoping this changes on this trip....from a far of course!

Good friends of ours from Guatemala toured this part of the country on his way to and from Alaska a few years ago. I was a bit jealous after seeing his pictures. Hopefully we can see many of the same sites that they saw but we don't have near the amount of time!

Here is a link to our spot tracker
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...IcQaVdsAVHHPaP

Let the fun begin!
Old 05-25-2015, 05:19 PM   #2
fayax
Banned

Oddometer: 102
Speaking of bears - I saw them in my backyard when I was living in Mt. Tabor in NJ. Mt. Tabor is right next to Parsippany.

There was just a very small/low fence separating us from them. A few hours later this event was on news.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCZUhvjBcCE

It is a somewhat scary sight.

Subscribed. Good Luck.
fayax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:27 PM   #3
bluestar
misfit

Oddometer: 2,007
Good luck with the trip ad the bears. I'll be following along.
Two lane blacktop isn't a highway, it's an attitude.
bluestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:02 PM   #4
nailit2em OP
Gnarly Adventurer

VERY NICE!! We have coyote, dear, turkey, raccoon, and our neighbor even saw a mountain lion in our backyard one day! Hopefully I will get a video of a bear(s) on this trip!! That would make the wife happy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailit2em View Post
In less than 10 hours I am heading for Salt Lake City from Kansas City. It's only 1100 miles...in one day....no problem...

I always seem to start our trips off with an iron butt ride. Needless to say my wife is flying to Salt Lake. She wants nothing to do with a 1000 mile plus day!

We will be visiting Jackson, Wy, Yellowstone, Glacier, Spokane, Seattle, Mt. Rainier, Portland, Redwoods, Lake Tahoe, Moab then home. She will be departing from another airport so that I can almost do another iron butt home.

We have traveled many states and locations on motorcycle and other means where bear are known to frequent. WE HAVE NEVER SEEN ONE IN THE WILD!!!! We are hoping this changes on this trip....from a far of course!

Good friends of ours from Guatemala toured this part of the country on his way to and from Alaska a few years ago. I was a bit jealous after seeing his pictures. Hopefully we can see many of the same sites that they saw but we don't have near the amount of time!

Here is a link to our spot tracker
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...IcQaVdsAVHHPaP

Let the fun begin!
Old 05-26-2015, 10:03 PM   #5
nailit2em OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Great!! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestar View Post
Good luck with the trip ad the bears. I'll be following along.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:42 PM   #6
nailit2em OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day one

Well day one is in the books! It went something like this...

rolled over in bed and looked at radar... I cussed a little...got dressed...ate small breakfast...

I was on the road by 5:30 and rode in the rain...stopped after 275 miles...walked briskly to the restroom...grabbed a red bull...put gas in the GS...ate some almonds...repeated that sequence (give or take on the mileage) 2 more times...arrived in Salt Lake City 1051 miles and 15.5 hours later. This is the 5th 1,000 mile day I've done and by far the wettest!

The rest of the story is that my oldest daughter had the first bear sighting of this trip last night. She calls this bear dad.... The short of it is we left the ER at 10:30 last night. She is fine but sure scared her old man! She was doing something she was not suppose to be doing and got hurt. I let her know how I felt about her decision making skills in a direct manner. As in all bear stories Momma bear put the smack down on poppa bear for his actions. In the end my daughter understood and called me Caesar...as in APE leader in the latest Planet of the Apes movie. She was Blue eyes. In the beginning of the movie Blue eyes does a stupid thing and is corrected by Caesar. All that matters in this short side story is that she is sore but fine.

So now you know why I grabbed a red bull at EVERY stop today! The weather did not cooperate much today either. It started out raining and I thought it was going to clear up....ahhh no....I dealt with rain on and off all the way to Salt Lake City. One burst even peppered me with some sleet! The high temps were in the low 60's and it seemed like every time a rain cloud hit it dropped into the upper 40's lower 50's

I am also using a Garmin Zumo with the xm antenna. Right now they are pumping out all their stuff for free. Included is the weather information. All day long it was beeping at me and putting banners on the screen "There is rain in the area" "There may be roads closed" All I could think was thank you captain obvious! It was nice to see the radar though and know it was not severe stuff and how long I was going to be in it each time.

I think I was lucky I made it across I-80 today as well. Many of the rivers were very close to the belly of the bridges. One bridge had crews on it monitoring the high water.

My wife will be here tomorrow at 9:30am. We will head up to Jackson, Wy from here. The forecast....thunderstorms. I guess that's what rain gear and heated clothing is for.

What made me cuss a little

Just before departure

This is just north of St. Joseph Missouri in I-29

I-80 in Nebraska

One of the swollen branches of the Platte River along I-80

Gas Stop in Sidney Nebraska with rain clouds to the west

Western Nebraska

Construction and rain....

Good place for these! At least for today.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:57 PM   #7
nailit2em OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Salt Lake to Yellowstone

I picked my wife up yesterday at the Salt Lake Airport. It was nice and sunny upon her arrival but a short time later it was very soggy! We rode in rain pretty much all the way to Jackson Wyoming. We were both frozen to the bone! I had been telling her all along that it was going to suck setting up the tent in the rain. She was pleasantly surprised when we arrived at our cabin with a king size bed! I figured I would treat her to a good nights rest before tenting it Good thing because it rained most of the night as well. I really wanted to explore Jackson but the weather ruined it for us! Next time I guess.

Today really sucked! Those are her words but mine are not much kinder! We rode in rain and SNOW most of today. The lowest temp on the GS dash was 33 F! We are tenting it tonight and the temps are suppose to drop to 32 so I may wake up to a bear in the sleeping bag next to me! Then again my wife may have the bear next to her!

On the plus side of things we saw our bears today!! A momma and two cubs! The down side of that is my wife is already looking for an airport to fly back home! She said her trip is now complete!

Just a few people watching the bears!

Leaving Jackson
Old 05-28-2015, 06:27 PM   #8
i4bikes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
In, have a great trip.
i4bikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:39 PM   #9
XtreemLEE
Member #476

Oddometer: 3,033
Go here worth the $7...

http://www.grizzlyencounter.org
"And the freedom of speech we try to defend goes to the core of one of my very deepest beliefs: the best information is uncovered with open, spirited debate. Better to grow thicker skin than to risk repressing information--just ask John Adams and Thomas Jefferson." Chris Macaskill
XtreemLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:39 PM   #10
bluestar
misfit

Oddometer: 2,007
Didn't take you long to find a bear. Congrats on not being eaten.
Two lane blacktop isn't a highway, it's an attitude.
bluestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:54 PM   #11
KevinX
n00b

Oddometer: 6
congrats. I just finished viewing 'Bears of the last frontier' by Chris morgan.
He rode a BMW up into Alaska. his looked like a 650cc model, but he had a film crew in a van with him.
KevinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:31 PM   #12
nailit2em OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtreemLEE View Post
Go here worth the $7..
We looked at that but ran out of time! Heading to Glacier tomorrow.

http://www.grizzlyencounter.org
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestar View Post
Didn't take you long to find a bear. Congrats on not being eaten.
No it didn't!! At least on this trip. But we've only been looking for 9 years!! Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinX View Post
congrats. I just finished viewing 'Bears of the last frontier' by Chris morgan.
He rode a BMW up into Alaska. his looked like a 650cc model, but he had a film crew in a van with him.
We have ridden the Dalton to the arctic circle on a BMW f650 Dakar. My parents hauled it to Alaska and we flew up. We are ready to ride all the way to Prudoe Bay! Just a mater of time!
Old 05-29-2015, 07:40 PM   #13
nailit2em OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Great day in Yellowstone

Other than not being able to upload pics today was a very good day!! We started out the day by slowly crawling out of our warm sleeping bags. It was 30 F when we woke up! We fixed a bacon and eggs breakfast the headed to see Old Faithful.

We got there 5 min after it had put on a show so we had 85 more minutes to wait. We walked the area around there and checked out the other small glaciers. The sun was out we we soon realized we were over dressed for walking as much as we were!

Old faithful put on a great show for us...as usual. We then headed north. We stopped and checked out several waterfalls and waited for a herd of bison to cross the road. We just missed a thunder snow storm and large hail near the upper falls. Thanks to a fellow rider and his wife for warning us the hold out for a bit!

We added a moose to our animal sightings. We have seen elk, deer, bison,large black rabbit, osprey, geese and many other small furry creatures!

Hopefully mas pics tomorrow. We are off to Glacier....if the roads allow!
Old 05-31-2015, 08:06 AM   #14
CTDan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 956
Sounds like you're off to another great adventure... Ride safe, I'll be following along with envy.
CTDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:15 PM   #15
nailit2em OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks!! You need to spread the wings on your new ride and come out here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDan View Post
Sounds like you're off to another great adventure... Ride safe, I'll be following along with envy.