Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2012, 05:10 PM   #151
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Oddometer: 1,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geology Rocks View Post
Great thread!

When you were in littleton colorado you were right down the street frim me! I bought my S10 at the dealer in the background of the photo. I live 2 minutes from there!
I spent muchos pesos at Grandprix: replacement parts, gear, fixing the suspensions, etc…great place to live man, I can't imagine going to play up near Rampart Range on a summer afternoon after work.... You are lucky! On the other hand, I know if I lived there I could not find the time to work

Road Reports by ejtv click here
ejtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:27 PM   #152
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

MoToSalt 2012 Day 4 (cont.)

On our way up to Skyline, this looked like a great place to That is jb in the distance walking around still looking for singletrack…

The beef jerky for dinner was getting old already, but the sunset was

ejtv screwed with this post 08-25-2012 at 09:51 AM
Old 08-24-2012, 07:31 AM   #153
jakbrand
93 octane

Oddometer: 181
Rugged Dry Wash

After a valiant but failed attempt to ascend the Wasatch Mountains via Dry Wash we tucked our tails and skulked up the graded road through Ferron Canyon to Ferron Reservoir.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:42 AM   #154
Fire44
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Keep up the great job on the RR!!! I'm loving it!!!

I REALLLLY need to get out west! My son is 13 so maybe one day he and I will get to do a trip like this!

2009 Kawasaki KLR650
Fire44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:56 AM   #155
jakbrand
93 octane

Arapeen Trail System

From Ferron Reservoir we entered the Arapeen Trail System and explored high meadows and shady forest trails for rest of the afternoon.
Arapeen Trail System boasts over 350 miles of trails high in the Wasatch Mountains. Most of the well maintained trails course though forests of Lodgepole Pine and Aspen. Occasionally a trail bursts into an alpine meadow blanketed with brilliant yellow Asteraceae.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:15 AM   #156
jakbrand
93 octane

Ephraim Meadows

A day in the cool mountains really contrasted the previous three days in the searing desert. I'm beginning to get comfortable with the idea of a summer vacation in Utah.

Fed and fueled in Ephraim we ascended to 9500 feet and scouted for a campsite. Ephraim Meadows will do.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:49 PM   #157
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

MoToSalt2012 Day 5

Sunrise

Plan today is to go up to the Skyline, travel north for a couple of miles and then descend on the east side of the range to Joe Valley Reservoir and back up to the Skyline via ATV trails, then continue north on the Skyline until hitting pavement at SR 6.

Day started on an upbeat note with perfect cool and sunny weather, cold enough for a jacket, for those who brought one…I was assured by the the weather channel that it would not rain all week…so I didn't bring one...

While I don't think we took any pictures, this area is used for sheep herding this time of the year. The shepherds use dogs and horses for their trade. Quite bucolic. I assume a lost art here in the US since the shepherds are mostly from Peru.

Joe Valley Reservoir below…the original route had us north of this ridge, down in the valley to the left, but this trail had a stunning view to the north east was worth the diversion…

Soon we were back on the planned ATV trail down in the valley...I wonder if there is a trail on the top of that ridge in this picture

ejtv screwed with this post 08-25-2012 at 11:00 AM
Old 08-25-2012, 09:32 AM   #158
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

MoToSalt2012 Day 5 (cont.)

on the same ATV trail down to the Reservoir

Lots of work done by the ATV riders on this trail, bridges, berms crossing mud holes and slides, etc. An hour later, down at the reservoir...

And after a nice little climb on another ATV trail up the north side of Reeder Canyon, we emerge here for a lunch break consisting of…beef jerky…

jakbrand frolics

More Skyline

We took a couple of out and back exploratory detours like this one heading east...

before getting back on the Skyline:

Then began the first of three most frustrating route finding explorations of MoToSalt2012…this one attempted to connect 264 to the Skyline on the east side of Gooseberry Reservoir…

At some point we lost complete sight of the track and tried to get down to Scofield Reservoir instead of the Skyline, but with zero luck…the map had a dashed line, but the trail dissapeared with tons of logs, etc.

jakbrand shows off...

ejtv screwed with this post 08-26-2012 at 07:22 AM
Old 08-25-2012, 10:26 AM   #159
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

MoToSalt2012 Day 5 (cont.)

At this point we decided to try to find the original planned route back up to the Skyline. Things got a bit too steep for some of us, at least for me, it was hard enough to descend, but the prospect of having to climb back up if we didn't find a way to connect back proved scary enough that we sent jb to explore on his own. The picture below is him climbing back up.

The picture, yada yada yada, doesn't do justice to how steep it was. But 45 minutes had passed since we last saw or heard him way back down beyond the descent into the creek by the the line of trees in the top third of the pic below, so I was sent by foot to get him back. Jakbrand and tbang were already planning how to extract him on a stretcher. It took me 40 minutes to walk to the those trees when I heard him sputter back. He had been exploring the edge of the creek to figure out if we could make it. His assessment, no way, really really steep drop into the creek and a wall on the other side…. He did some further exploration to see if we could cross country to Gooseberry Reservoir south, but I chickened out and said let's go back. I rode on what was left of his back seat for a bit until it was too steep and hiked the rest of the way up to my motorcycle.

This one looks so flat it's disgusting, but you can see the two motos parked to his right

jakbrand struggled a bit on his way up, so we knew it was going to be interesting for the WR's.

then i went to start my bike and it was dead. I could not believe it! I would have tried it, but without a battery and having to push start, I decided to hand it over to jb who also struggled up saying he was this close to running out of power on the climb…

In the picture below you can appreciate the gas pipeline clearing/trail we were on and where it continued as it climbed back up to the Skyline way in the distance. Our original goal was to make it down into the creek, back up the faint trail just before hitting the pipeline clearing on at the top of the picture and connect with what was supposed to be another trail going south toward Gooseberry...here's tbang on his second try, successfully getting all the way to the top:

At which point we retraced our tracks all the way back to where we had started 4 or 5 hours earlier, hooked up to the Skyline and headed north toward SR6, Tucker and Soldier Summit for gas and supplies…

Buffalo and elk jerky are pretty good here, expensive and very sweet, but good.

At Soldier we eventually got a text from dwip who had flown back to Moab and begged us to wait for him at Price, just a few miles south on SR 6. He had been watching our lack of progress on SPOT, flown to Moab that afternoon and would make the trek via pavement to Price to continue with us up to Salt Lake City. Incredibly, all of our detours and spurs delayed us to the point that dwip would be able to hook with us that evening….it was going to take him 3 hours to do what MoToSalt did in 5 days…. that's what advriding is all about…We reserved a couple of rooms at a hotel in Price, showered and waiting for dwip, who we eventually saw from the restaurant's window as he rode past us to the hotel…all that new tread from his tires left a stain on the pavement from Moab.

ejtv screwed with this post 08-25-2012 at 04:38 PM
Old 08-25-2012, 04:18 PM   #160
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 742
Fantastic report!

Now I gotta know what you are doing for a living.. To be able to ride for few weeks then work 1-2-3 weeks and back to riding few weeks, must be paying good enough to support some household expenses, motorcycle, trips, etc.

WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:21 PM   #161
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Oddometer: 1,378
wow, ur RR is awesome! i like how you post pics and youtube vids.

i'd be scared to get the motorcycle so close to the edge of a Cliff!
*Round Trip Bill & Clif 2013 MOA (BMW Motorcycle Owners of America) International
ClifNotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:51 PM   #162
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
Fantastic report!

Now I gotta know what you are doing for a living.. To be able to ride for few weeks then work 1-2-3 weeks and back to riding few weeks, must be paying good enough to support some household expenses, motorcycle, trips, etc.

I work for the Federal Reserve

Old 08-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #163
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejtv View Post
I work for the Federal Reserve
Ah no wonder! Heck you probably could get little office set up in your bike and work from anywhere!

I was in Utah last month when I did TAT and like the idea of you all doing some of south trails first before moving up to north part.. good idea! And the trip may seem to take forever getting to Alaska but what is the rush?? Just take your sweet time getting there because it will be so rewarding!
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:29 PM   #164
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
Ah no wonder! Heck you probably could get little office set up in your bike and work from anywhere! ….
And I can print my own money...

Old 08-26-2012, 04:37 AM   #165
jakbrand
93 octane

Eat, Sleep, Ride

MoToSalt entered the simple existance phase of eat, sleep, ride.