Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2012, 04:47 AM   #166
jakbrand
93 octane

Oddometer: 140
I was getting a little hungry and a bit weary from twisting the throttle and shooting photos for nearly eight hours. It's exhausting riding up and down awesome forest trails in the Wasatch Mountains.

We arrived at Soldier Summit Station around 3 o'clock. While drinking Mountain Dew and eating fig bars I felt the urge to check phone messages. I read a text from Dwip, "I'm in Moab. Riding to Price, Utah tonight. Where are you guys?"
Old 08-26-2012, 06:14 AM   #167
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Oddometer: 1,202
MoToSalt2012 Day 6

They had many hotels in Price…We were concerned about the choice we had made over the phone…but they had recently renovated it inside too. Laundry and a good restaurant were near by.

with dwip champing at the bit to get going with some Utah dirt

Three Florida crackers in Utah…

While three of us did a few motorcycle chores and laundry, dwip and tbang went to a nearby ATV/motorcycle store to buy goggles and a new helmet.

And after buying some more beef jerky, in a couple of hours we were all ready to go

But first, more playing around the badlands; amazingly, it seems like every southern Utah town has one of these free moto playgournds

The next four hours was the second of three frustrating times in which all the roads lead to closed gates or dead ends…we were trying to connect via dirt from Price directly north and west to our original route in order to avoid the pavement of SR 6 and Soldier Summit. No can do. I called this whole area north of Price and SR 6 and east of Soldier Summit Spur Valley. Don't even try it.

Here tbang and I wait until others poke around the second of what were probably seven or more dead ends that day.

Another dead end, this one was a large mining operation…and it was even on pavement :

At this point the lack of patience led us to go through a gate designed to keep ATV's out but not cattle…

leading to another dead end

and then on the return...

we find this: the owners were not happy and were within a fraction of hitting that 911 on the cell, you know, we can have you all arrested, can't you read that sign says?…we are so sorry, the map showed it as a public road….Anyway, we know this gives all you riders a bad reputation…I can already read the posts complaining about our lack of consideration, respect, etc… you are all correct.

they were scared and angry, but we spoke amicably to them so we could lower the tension. First thing I did was take that helmet off so they could see I was a real person, not Darth Vader. They were very nice people, cattle ranchers. We spoke for about 45 minutes apologizing profusely, telling them we meant no harm, where we are from, that we are trying to get to Salt Lake City having started in Moab, etc. At one point I said we are really really sorry and I extended my hand to shake his, and he said, no you are not but he cracked a smile and shook my hand and we both laughed. Then I knew we were OK. As he was opening the gate he told me, you know, I talk tough but I am a real nice guy. And the last two motos went through the main gate.

please to set the tone:...The irony is that we all knew this was a bad idea and felt we should just turn around at that gate, but I think the level of frustration of all those prior three hours of dead ends really got to us. And from that point on jakbrand was a model citizen and neighbor, never trespassing ever ever again. and we all lived happily ever after...

Road Reports by ejtv click here

ejtv screwed with this post 08-26-2012 at 06:51 AM
ejtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:44 AM   #168
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

MoToSalt2012 Day 6 (cont.)

So now the only reasonable alternative now was to go all the way back to Price and use the pavement on SR 6 to get closer to the original route. But first we stopped at the ATV/Moto shop so jb could get new tires. He was not happy with the ones he had put on in Moab. That would be an unfair advantage on the rest of us...

Here we are resting and re-routing while jb worked on his bike.

And after one more dead end in which we had to trek back down to SR 6 and get closer to Soldier Summit, we eventually hit the right roads and found a series of very nice trails. Tbang's new helmet on display.

We love those chain-sawed logs just wide enough for two wheels…

Another dead end, too rough even for jb's new knobs, but this time at least it was on singletrack. I had had a major just a few feet before this, my pegs hit a medium sized rock in the middle of the singletrack which knocked the rear of my bike completely off track downhill and my bike did a backflip as it tumbled down the creek below. It landed on top of me with my hands still holding on to the handlebars. I was upside down with the water running all over me but nothing hurt and couldn't get the bike off me. By the time tbang and dwip got me out of the mess, jb and jakbrand were returning with an assessment of what was ahead of us, another very difficult and steep trail to difficult to attempt with our bikes.

So here we are turning around....

Looking for another route…

By now the better riders knew they had to stay with me just in case…so it was easier for me to have motos in the pictures…

sweet trails

Our destination was now in sight, camping at Strawberry Reservoir

even a

tbang's tarp

ejtv screwed with this post 09-09-2012 at 05:50 PM
Old 08-26-2012, 07:51 AM   #169
jakbrand
93 octane

Bluhduh What Rancher?

For some reason I don't remember weathering a scalding lecture of "how we do things in Utah" by a leathery old rancher.

Lots of legal stuff to ride in the area.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #170
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

MoToSalt2012 Day 7

Sunrise at Strawberry Reservoir

Breaking camp

Today we are first going to go west to finally connect to the original route which would take us across First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth and Sixth Water creeks…

Here we had to remake the trail by kicking into the dirt to get more traction….

This little section of steep lose gravel took a few of us down…as usual, jb took up the challenge first and found a solution

…here is dwip on the creek below after falling down… getting ready to climb back up to the trail…

I am thinking this was close to one of those dead ends…we still have not reached the original planned route

This is a section of the trail which came right after a wicked descent. Everybody in that drop, except jb, was scared, I don't care what they say. the climb on the other side was just as wicked, but at least lots of room for error…

here tbang stalls. Even "Lo", the hunting dog we found in the area and who tagged along for a while, was tired of the climb…

We all made it up the climb after a couple of tries. Here's tbang on his last successful try...

\

and a well deserved rest for beef jerky at the top…

Does this look familiar……? For the second time, I think, we're back at Soldier Summit still without hitting First Water Creek…Those following us on SPOT were wondering….I think we were unable to hook up to the original route from where we were due to the third and last frustrating turning around due to very very difficult trail…For a couple of days now I had turned my GPS off since that seemed to have been the culprit regarding one of my electrical problems.

ejtv screwed with this post 08-28-2012 at 08:10 AM
Old 08-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #171
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

MoToSalt 2012 Day 7 (cont.)

I think we finally made it to the area we should have ridden by two days ago, First, Second, Third, etc., Water creeks:

At this rest spot to each a little jerky, lots of flies and jakbrand kept saying it smelled like bear

until jb figured out what it was…something was hanging from the branch of that tree…we never could figure out what animal it was, but it stunk…

Back to work:

Huge hole against the bank some of us had trouble crossing, except jb…I don't have pictures of jb doing anything because he would clear it before I could take my camera out…here's dwip crossing

and tbang

rest before finishing Sixth Water Creek

jakbrand finishing up the singletrack

from there we followed an ATV route northwest and then due west to the TH for our next section, a river of stones of a trail I wasn't looking forward to. In fact, after eating the obligatory ration of beef jerky, I spent part of the evening walking it and clearing the path.

It was at this point that I heard one of those jakbrandisms worth saving for prosperity--

…"you know, what's great about beef jerky is that it goes in flat and it comes out round…"

Old 08-26-2012, 01:14 PM   #172
jakbrand
93 octane

baby chupacabra

That was no dead skunk. It was a baby chupacabra "hanging out" in a tree.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:31 AM   #173
jakbrand
93 octane

Single Track Overdose

This was by far my favorite section of MoToSalt. I have never ridden so much fantastic single track in one day. Even the spur trails were awesome. We probably skipped more trails than we rode due to time limitations. I'll be heading back at the next opportunity.

Our group of five rolled along with such harmony. JB, the most skilled rider, would scout the tough sections and signal a clean line then the other four would obediently follow. Each member vigilant of his companion's progress and ready to aid assistance if necessary. Team work!

jakbrand screwed with this post 08-27-2012 at 06:47 AM
jakbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:52 PM   #174
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

MoToSalt 2012 Day 8

I was not looking forward to the start of this day. Right off the bat first thing in the morning we had to go into this...

this is jakbrand navigating that section...zero warmup...The trail looked horrendous and I was hoping the rock garden would get tamer. I have to say I was tired and sore from the prior few days or riding, especially because I had to compensate for lack of skill with brute force picking up the bike at every crash...

Everything was a blur now. But the intent was to make it via single track or ATV to the Sundance area, find the Ridge Trail and depending on time, bail out to Park City at Pole Pass.

I know we went up several two dead ends today, this one we knew we were in trouble as we started having to clear more and more logs…over them...

and under them…

and then after the turnaround, back under and over…and while that one was in the original plan, this next out and back was more of a navigation error…but nice view…

Eventually the right trail was blocked by a beaver dam…nobody knew how deep….so jakbrand volunteered to walk it…he stayed on the other side taking pictures while we all crossed.

The trail opened up nicely after that.

We cut a bunch of pre-planned single track and eventually made it to Wallsburg, where we found great toilette facilities. I don't think these guys will ever allow another motorcycle group in their store, sorry.

From there we made the pavement trek to Heber City to have breakfast

and supplies, gas, etc.:

The road from Heber City west toward sundance was being repaired and had lots of traffic, so we decided on the back route on the north side of Deer Creek Reservoir and eventually we got to the Ridge Trail.

Here's tbang with mostly Timpanogos in the background. He was very patient with me as I wanted to take so many pictures here…the rest of the guys were way ahead, waiting for me every few miles...

I am wondering when they are going to try to close this trail to motos….

The trail was riveting, with some pretty hairy sections with little margin for error. Here we had to walk the bikes…

Skies were threatening us a bit…

one last obstacle…

And back to pavement and a race to the Guardsman Pass area and then west to Salt Lake City to get the paperwork done for the storage unit…

As jakbrand tested his next ride

After dinner we would split. dwip needed fly back to home tomorrow; tbang decided to stay in Ogden at my brother's home but jakbrand, jb and I would ride one last day and attempt to climb all the way up Lewis and Bon Lomond peaks. Told them, we have to ride this trail before they close it to motos...

Steak dinner next to the Bountiful KTM dealer...

We said our good byes and the three of us were looking forward to camping one last time around Pineview Reservoir but as we approached Ogden, the rain poured down big time. We all chickened out about the camping, so I got jb and jakbrand to a hotel and I kept going to my brother's home.

ejtv screwed with this post 08-28-2012 at 08:08 AM
Old 08-28-2012, 07:59 AM   #175
jakbrand
93 octane

Photos from Cow Patty CG to SLC

Old 08-28-2012, 09:13 AM   #176
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

MoToSalt 2012 Day 9

The rain last night was actually welcomed by all, especially us since it was getting kind of dusty. Breakfast at Jeremiah's

Weather and trail conditions were perfect to ride up to Lewis Peak and then Ben Lomond.

Pineview Reservoir in the distance.

Snowbasin in the distance.

Climbing up to Lewis peak with Ben Lomond in the background.

Same perspective with the the Great Salt Lake to the left.

On the ridge connecting Lewis Peak to North Ogden Canyon

A few repairs at the North Ogden Canyon TH. At this point jb did not have any rear breaks and had to bleed the system, so we went back down to Ogden on pavement to buy a couple of tools he didn't have.

On the way back jakbrand pretended to read the history of those trails we had ridden…

…and then started the trek up to Ben Lomond.

There were sections in this whole Skyline trail that had little margin for error.

Fellow rider on his way back from Ben Lomond. We talked for a little and jakbrand and I decided to take a nap (it had been a looong week…I was certainly tired and didn't have the energy to push my WR up a hill unless I truly had to. jb battled with the switchbacks on his own--what was new?--which he conquered without much of a problem. He had lunch up there…

Here he is on the way back down…

Here's jakbrand testing another possible new ride when he sells his KTM 530…

At the end of the day, we made it to my brother's house where I was dropped off. Ben Lomond in the background above the roof of the house behind. If I lived there, I would not find time to work.

Overall a very challenging and successful ride from Moab to Salt Lake City. We worked well as a team, looking out for each other. And it helps when we are all resourceful, flexible and patient. We were happy to prove to ourselves we could ride a multi-day very challenging cross-country ATV and singletrack route and bush camp, eat and resupply food and fuel without much support. Thank God, no injuries, and incredibly, no flats. A few mechanicals here and there. Everyone helped with navigation. I learned a lot from other more experienced riders this time around…for example, that on really steep downhills, you don't brake with the engine compression but with front and rear brakes…and that you have to stand on your pegs as much as possible, especially on the technical sections...that was a huge help. Super tight and steep switchbacks really got to me, especially downhill right turns...need to practice those more. I also appreciate all you inmates who have at one time or another posted reports on certain sections of the route we strung together.

Until the next leg of the trip!!!

ejtv screwed with this post 08-29-2012 at 08:02 AM
Old 08-29-2012, 06:51 AM   #177
jakbrand
93 octane

Skyline Trail

ET,
Thanks for authoring MoToSalt. It's no small effort to connect all the single track between Moab and Salt Lake City.

A few more photos from beautiful Skyline Trail.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:41 AM   #178
Kayakkawakid
USPS

Oddometer: 27
Great ride report guys, my hats off to you all, funny I was just telling my wife and son that the area around salt lake had awesome riding, as we were driving our car rental from Seattle to Mercedes tx after missing our flight back home and doing 2600 plus miles in 44 hrs with one overnight stay in salt lake aug 12th, well ur report confirmed my observation.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:57 PM   #179
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Bike & Hike SLC-High Uintas-SLC Day 1

Our original plan for this September week concocted back last year was to cross the desert from SLC to Portland. RThe track to the route was already mapped on GPS, but several things happened. One, my son tbang was not going to be able to make it due to school. Two, we invited a friend from Florida new to dirt bikes to ride my son's bike to Portland and unfortunately a couple of weeks before the trip he fell and broke his hip in a freak road bicycle ride. Three, on our trip up from Moab, we realized that the dirt riding in the SLC area is phenomenal, I would say some of the best the world has to offer and we needed much more time to explore it before departing. Four, we had to coordinate schedules among all the riders storing bikes in SLC so we can leave at the same time.

So jakbrand and I quickly came up with an alternative, supposedly a more relaxed tour east of SLC to hike. I suggested riding to the High Uintas and hike up to Kings Peak, something I had wanted to do for several years now. The route would take us from SLC north to Ogden then east over Monte Cristo Pass, Wyoming and approach the Kings Peak TH from the north at Henry's Fork, mostly on paved and gravel roads, take two days to hike, then return to SLC turning south toward Kamas and exploring ATV and singletrack trails as we made our way to American Fork area before getting back to SLC. If we had extra time, we would play around the Bountiful Peak area just north of SLC.

It looked something like this:

First thing as soon as I arrived to SLC, I "upgraded" from this:

my trusted WR250R

to this:

KTM 500 EXC

I had to get to the storage, collect all my riding and camping equipment, ride the KTM for an hour, then get the one hour service done by dealer (ADS Motorsports in Ogden, highly recommended if you're in the area in need of repairs or a new bike, guys and gals there are friendly and very helpful). jakbrand would arrive the day before and explore some trails the day I arrived and then meet me at ADS around 3 or 4 PM to then get going toward the high Uintas.

Here's jakbrand helping me open up a slit on each side of the rear fender of the brand new KTM with a Dremel tool. It was the best way to get my Giant Loop Mojavi saddle bags to fit the new design of the rear fender, as suggested by them.

Then to continue my luck with mechanicals, as I was tightening the straps of the Mojavi, the kickstand of the KTM retrieved automatically and the bike fell right in the dealer's parking lot…no problem I thought, until jakbrand came back, looked at it and saw a puddle of oil under my bike and asked me what had happened…well, as it fell, the shifter had punctured the stator cover…what are the odds?

Luckly ADS had another 500 EXC and they were able to replace it.

By the time they were done and given the unstable weather, lots of rain, thunderstorms and hail, we decided to stay in Ogden at my brother's house and depart the next morning. oh, also, both of our GPS units were out of commission. So we were going to rely on maps and our memory regarding the planned track.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:43 PM   #180
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Bike & Hike SLC-High Uintas-SLC Day 2

Next AM, waiting for Chris's Pantry to open near Huntsville/Pineview Reservoir. They got the coffee started for us and brought the thermus outside for us while the cook got in. Real nice people. Great burgers for lunch and, of course, great breakfast...

and gas…

I had suspected the trek east would be punctuated by lots of dirt roads ending in closed gates…here we are exchanging pleasantries with one of the local ranchers, somewhere east of Monte Cristo Pass, who tells us, there is no way across to the other side of the mountain, like all of our maps said...

weather was perfect though...

and views were wide and open...

Playing around behind a parking lot in Evanston, Wyoming…

Hardly a scratch…

that was refueling at Evanston, WY…since I had a low capacity tank, only about 110 mile range, I brought a 1.5 gal fuel bladder for this leg to Henry's Fork TH and beyond.

The new jakbrand turns around at a no trespassing sign…somewhere north of Sulphur Creek Dam. We were very obedient this trip…

Trying to find the old Mormon Pioneer Trail to take us east…no luck…

Eventually we did find a dirt road somewhere SE of Sulphur Creek Dam that would take us east. Here's one of several old structures we found along the way…

Weather threatening a bit as we got closer to the Henry's Fork…

Rain and rainbow behind us now, but just couldn't get the right pic going to highlight the colors…

We found a nice ATV trail that took us right to the TH. I tested the KTM for the first time…probably in my head, but I felt I was floating over the rocks...

At the TH, sorting the equipment to make it a hike now…

As the evening was approaching, we started the hike until dark. Here we are at one of the rest spots, full of confidence...

We even had energy to get a campfire going for dinner, jakbrand using the "sawvivor" for wood, and before getting some

ejtv screwed with this post 09-09-2012 at 06:46 PM