Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #226
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejtv View Post
Why the sage is mowed for tens of miles in the middle of nowhere was beyond us…a quick google search didn't reveal much. Anyone? Anyone?
Great report! I used to live in Winnemucca and both work as a Geologist and ride my XR-650 all around that area. The BLM or a private company are probably harvesting sage brush seeds in that area for re-seeding in other areas due to brush fires etc.

IMO Northern Nevada is some of the best riding in North America. Keep up the good work with your report!!

SR screwed with this post 05-18-2013 at 12:48 PM
SR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:46 PM   #227
jakbrand
93 octane

Oddometer: 226
SR, Recognize these dunes?

I agree with you. Northern Nevada is a dual sport gold mine.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:01 PM   #228
SR
Beastly Adventurer

I can't tell for sure but they look like the dunes located a few miles north of Winnemucca. The ones that are always migrating across Highway 95 and into the trailer park.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #229
jakbrand
93 octane

SR, We could not resist

the Song of Dune Sirens. The dunes were exactly as you discribed, encroaching into the highway and over the trailer park. Great place to ride!

Old 05-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #230
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Nice!!!
Old 05-18-2013, 02:29 PM   #231
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,791
"Private Land"...

Let me preface this by saying, I'm not looking for a debate or argument from anybody. This is hearsay so if anybody has facts I'm open to hearing it. I worked in Utah for many summers for a farmer, many years ago and seem to remember hearing that a lot of the land in Nevada, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, etc... is BLM land that has been leased on 99 year leases, these leases in many cases go on to be leased by subsequent generations to the same families. A condition to the lease was to make some kind of improvement or work the land within 2 years of the lease going into effect (could explain harvesting of sage seed?). This is what results in people claiming that "this is private land" not neccisarily so, still BLM land and probably why you don't see the no trespassing signs and the roads are passable although with gates that are open. You just have to be sure to put them back up and respect the leasees rights. I heard all of this when I was a teenager so again, I'd love to hear the facts.
Any additional imput from somebody that actually knows?

Great RR, thanks for sharing
Old 05-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #232
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Oddometer: 1,518
The Long Way Around the Great Salt Lake (Day 4 Part 3)

The late afternoon sky and the sunset on the Owyhee Desert that day was stunning. We must have taken 100 pics each…here are my top ones.

Here's one looking NE at a line of rain clouds leaving us.

And looking NW toward the Santa Rosa District of the Humboldt National Forest, our destination the next day.

And these looking south toward the mountains north of Tuscarora, which we unfortunately didn't have time to visit.

Last sunset pics, jakbrand taking pictures of the sunset:

As usual, jakbrand cooked some water for us to mix with dehydrated meals, here he is, setting up the kitchen in the middle of the road. He was going to set up his tent there too…I said low probability, but a drunk on an ATV could surely smash on your tent and ruin the trip

I lit up a fire to warm us up for a while. We found sagebrush an excellent source of fuel, dried or green. We were petrified of causing a major fire, so we made the pit in the middle of the road too…

Hard to figure out, but this is jakbrand's tent at night illuminated from the inside by his own headlight and a few faint stars in the background.

Road Reports by ejtv click here

ejtv screwed with this post 05-18-2013 at 06:26 PM
ejtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #233
jakbrand
93 octane

I could have spent the summer in Jarbidge.

It's such a friendly mountain town. If anyone intends to ride through northern Nevada, then drop a waypoint on your GPS that reads, "stop here for gas, food and lodging".

Climbing out of Jarbidge on a shelf road.

After and hour of riding under a low grey ceiling the rain decided to harass us. However, the rain settled the dust and the roads were perfect.

Perhaps, I should say, "more perfect."
Old 05-18-2013, 07:48 PM   #234
jakbrand
93 octane

The rain persisted

thoughout the morning as we poked around the snowy climbs of the Humbolt National Forest. Not until we descended into the eastern edge of Owyhee Desert were we able to shuck our rain gear.

That's where we crossed paths with this lonely cowboy who informed us in a friendly way that we were riding on private property.

We never intend to trespass on private property, but if a gate on our route is unlocked and unposted then we usually pass though.

jakbrand screwed with this post 05-18-2013 at 07:55 PM
jakbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:05 PM   #235
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

I love the pic above of the horse checking out the KTM

Old 05-18-2013, 08:20 PM   #236
jakbrand
93 octane

The Owyhee Desert

road is flanked with fragrant sage. My boots and pants never smelled better after miles of constant batting of sage brush.

We settled into our campsite and watched the Owyhee put on a brilliant light show before dinner.

And finished our desert dessert, chocolate covered almonds, by campfire.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:23 AM   #237
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

The Long Way Around the Great Salt Lake (Day 5 Part 1)

Sunrise in Owyhee Desert was just as spectacular as the sunset:

Oddly enough, this was our frostiest and most humid morning of the week:

After some hot chocolate, packing up and a few miles on very fast desert and then gravel roads…

...we made it to the foothills of the Santa Rosa District of the Humboldt NF…

...and then the NF proper:

Posing:

The track we planned to follow was in the MVU NF map, but it was very faint and included tank traps…but I used the most up to date MVU I did! That's why we knew we were on track...

ejtv screwed with this post 05-19-2013 at 08:35 AM
Old 05-19-2013, 08:01 AM   #238
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

The Long Way Around the Great Salt Lake (Day 5 Part 2)

We entered the NF and pretty much climbed along the North Fork of Little Humboldt River first west then north up to about 7700 feet, hopefully without too much snow, and eventually began our gradual descent west into McDermitt NV as we exited the NF. These next few pics are as we reached what seemed like a high plateau of rolling gentle hills:

We had a chance to play around with the horses two or three times. It truly felt like mongolian steppes…

This climb, for the first time ever and probably the last, looks steeper than it was!

Descending into McDermitt:

Hitting the pavement and my version of highway pegs, stretching my legs over the Acerbis gas tank:

Burger stand at McDermitt and the only patch of grass along 100 miles of I-95…very popular with dogs despite the "no dogs" sign

ejtv screwed with this post 05-19-2013 at 08:37 AM
Old 05-19-2013, 08:06 AM   #239
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 6,057
This has become one of my favorite Ride Report threads. Thanks for the new installment!
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:19 PM   #240
Salsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post
Let me preface this by saying, I'm not looking for a debate or argument from anybody. This is hearsay so if anybody has facts I'm open to hearing it. I worked in Utah for many summers for a farmer, many years ago and seem to remember hearing that a lot of the land in Nevada, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, etc... is BLM land that has been leased on 99 year leases, these leases in many cases go on to be leased by subsequent generations to the same families. A condition to the lease was to make some kind of improvement or work the land within 2 years of the lease going into effect (could explain harvesting of sage seed?). This is what results in people claiming that "this is private land" not neccisarily so, still BLM land and probably why you don't see the no trespassing signs and the roads are passable although with gates that are open. You just have to be sure to put them back up and respect the leasees rights. I heard all of this when I was a teenager so again, I'd love to hear the facts.
Any additional imput from somebody that actually knows?

Great RR, thanks for sharing
If he leased the land -- it might as well be his.

NO TRESPASSING unless he says you can.

DOn
Salsa is offline   Reply With Quote