Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2013, 11:27 AM   #241
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

Oddometer: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsa View Post
If he leased the land -- it might as well be his.

NO TRESPASSING unless he says you can.

DOn
So the part of his post that started with, "Let me preface this by saying, I'm not looking for a debate or argument from anybody" was really more of an invitation to you?
nigelcorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:27 AM   #242
Toiretto
Getting into it!

Oddometer: 50
Great images and report! Keep posting please!
Toiretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #243
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Oddometer: 1,198
The Long Way Around the Great Salt Lake (Day 5 Part 3)

By the time we got to McDermitt (Wednesday), we had already decided that we would have to catch up via pavement if we were to reach Salt Lake City by Thursday evening to meet jb and ride Stansbury/Little Sahara/Cherry Creek. Our trek to the Humboldt NF's of northern Nevada and Owyhee Desert had taken much longer than expected, and we never took the short cuts around Jarbidge that we planned because the connecting tracks were still snowed in. Besides, we would have missed Owyhee.

So anyway, after lunch and having forgotten to cross into Oregon (the border was a block away from the burger stand and we had already been in Utah, Nevada and touched Idaho for a few miles, so we could have "bagged" one more state ), we had the most miserable time imaginable riding 65 MPH on US 95 and I 80. No pictures of those two sectors. There is something about these KTM's that we can ride 12 hours in the dirt, but more than 15-20 minutes on pavement are torture for every bone of your body…

Fortunately, we were able to take a break. You can always count on these parts of the US for ATV areas near any city big or small. What a blessing! In this case, we started seeing sand on the west side of US 95 just north of Winnemucca and sure enough, eventually sand was everywhere and on the west side of the road it formed into dunes to ride on What a way to break the monotony!

The sand was in perfect shape, soft but still fairly heavy on top, and more compact about 5 inches below the surface. After about a 20 minute break from blacktop riding on sand, we headed back to the dreaded I 80 west toward Salt Lake City. We took a much needed 15 minute break on Emigrant Pass rest stop, it was getting very cold, and we eventually stopped for good in Elko for hotel, showers, dinner and fuel. About the only curiosity about this stretch of I 80 is that it followed sections of the old 2,000 mile long California Trail that itself follows the banks of the Humboldt River. These migrants in search of a new life in California surely were hardier than 21st century men. Not sure what I was complaining about...

Road Reports by ejtv click here

ejtv screwed with this post 05-19-2013 at 01:18 PM
ejtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #244
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,678
It's all good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelcorn View Post
So the part of his post that started with, "Let me preface this by saying, I'm not looking for a debate or argument from anybody" was really more of an invitation to you?
I'm just trying to get an understanding of the gate closures that's going on but don't want to derail this thread.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #245
jakbrand
93 octane

Oddometer: 140
I'm no expert, but

the prickly issue of entering a private or public gated area involves experience and common sense. Our experience with ranchers has been positive. They are usually friendly with us and offer valuable intel after we remove our ADV mask of false bravado. The ranchers are generally concerned with hunters, security of their property and our safety. Common sense stuff that we respect.

When we ask for permission to continue it is usually granted with the caveat that we stay on the roads and shut the gates. Like I said earlier, we never intend to trespass. Other than entering a military proving ground or obvious posted area most of northern Nevada and Utah is accessible.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #246
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 611
Absolutely excellent effing report. Thanks.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:26 PM   #247
jakbrand
93 octane

Owyhee Desert mornings

can be frosty but invigorating during May.

A steaming hot beverage helps get the day moving too.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:42 PM   #248
jakbrand
93 octane

Let me compliment ET

for the excellent route selection on this part of the tour. I know he spent hours of research to author such a scenic tour. Thanks!

jakbrand screwed with this post 05-19-2013 at 01:57 PM
jakbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:54 PM   #249
jakbrand
93 octane

We approached McDermitt

knowing that we were a day behind schedule.

We decided over burgers and lemonade in McDermitt to slab 200 miles to Elko to get back on schedule. Ugh...

The dunes at Winnemucca provided the only moment of off-road pleasure.

Old 05-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #250
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakbrand View Post
...I know he spent hours of research to author such a scenic tour. Thanks!
"hours"? I think days, maybe weeks, which is part of the fun when I'm stuck in Louisiana away from the mountains!

Old 05-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #251
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

The Long Way Around the Great Salt Lake (Day 6 Part 1)

So we slowed down the rush via pavement now that we were within shooting range of Salt Lake City. Reroute involved departing early AM from Elko, and having a relaxing ride visiting the Ruby Mountains, which we heard had a good looking U-shaped valley carved by ice-age glaciers, riding along its foothills, riding over Humboldt Pass, and pretty much doing our own I-80 on dirt to Wendover to visit the Bonneville Salt Flats and deciding there what to do, stay or keep going to Salt Lake City.

Climbing up to Lamoille Canyon you can start to see the shape of a classic valley carved by a glacier...

...here we reach the end of the Lamoille Canyon road. The old glacier would have continued all the way to the top of the range.

Lamoille canyon road is a beautiful paved road. It has a real Euro feel to it. For those of you bicycle roadies, it would have been cool to ride it up and down.

The foothills of the Ruby Mountains around Elko were also very relaxing. Not what we expected. Very Lush farmland. With clouds threatening, we then climbed up to Humboldt Pass and paused to figure out where the gravel road was that took us to the east side of the Ruby Valley.

The clouds did rain on us, the ziplock trick having failed us only this one time, but the dirt road was worth it, I think…I had those Giant Loop Bushwhackers that really helped, and jakbrand had developed a system of two layers of gloves, fleece and rubber, which kept him dry and warm.

I rushed to take this pic before the rainclouds got to us:

This area around Humboldt Pass had lots of ATV trails that we left unexplored as we make our way back to Salt Lake City.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:11 PM   #252
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

The Long Way Around the Great Salt Lake (Day 6 Part 2)

Now all we had to do was cross about three low mountain ranges and the accompanying valleys in between to get to Wendover. Piece of cake.

As we left the Ruby Mountains behind, temps warmed and air dried up nicely as we cross the first valley before climbing the first mountain range:

Climbing the first range with the Ruby's in the background and fueling with nuts and jerky:

As we started to cross the second valley we just didn't comprehend the psychological distance between each range and how the dissapearing double track, turning into cow tracks turning into cross country, was affecting our mind:

I was trying to figure out why jakbrand was walking my bike on this picture. Here's where things started to get a just a bit complicated. We usually rode along fence lines and along established roads, at least "established" on the topo map. When the road mapped intersected a fence line, we usually found a gat. But after what seemed to be an interminable ride we hit this fence that had no gate, not 200 feet to the left not 200 feet to the right…riding back up to the Ruby's was (almost) out of the question. The reroute would have been massive. No wire cutters either…We tried to move the fence up to no avail. But we did figure out I could hold the barbed wire down if I stepped over it. So this is a picture of me standing on the barbed-wired fence (you can see it in the lower right corner) while jakbrand walks both of our bikes over it. uninteresting pictures, one of those have-to-be-there moments where they just has meaning if you were there.

Here we are finishing the second valley. You can see the Ruby's in the background and the first mountain range in front of it. Cross wind really cooperated with us.

Here we are cresting the second mountain range using Flower Pass, once again, with the Ruby's in the background. Now we are committed:

Here another complication played a trick on us, right before the pass, our GPS planned tracked called for us to hit an ATV trail that used another pass. But when we crested it and began the descent, a brand new locked fence with a brand new "No Trespassing-Use alternate route" greeted us. After a short discussion, we decided to turn around and use Flower Pass. No problem. we did notice that a branch of the road that went north after the pass also had a brand new locked fence with a brand new "No Trespassing-Use alternate route…"

Here we are on the south branch of the road...

Only to be greeted with another a brand new locked fence with a brand new "No Trespassing-Use alternate route"…so all the options to cross into the next valley were locked. After a long discussion in which we discussed the fact that perhaps the surveying crews were just around the corner and that we would get in trouble, etc., we were too committed to turn around. We did notice that in this particular fence the lock was cut and the gate could be opened and closed behind us, and we also noted there were no "private property" signs. So we chose to press on. Yes, shame on us, perhaps.

The double track on third valley quickly disappeared again. We didn't want to admit it, but we were both anxious by now. We cross some railroad tracks and continued until we found this abandoned well...

…and hoped against hope that we would connect with a north-south road near the foothills of the next range…

Old 05-20-2013, 05:52 AM   #253
jakbrand
93 octane

Ruby Mountains

dominate the Elko landscape. If we weren't on a mission to rendezvous with JB in SLC, then we could have spent a day climbing the rugged peaks. Perhaps I'll return later in the summer for a few days of hiking.

Crossing over passes and down across valleys would be a common tune today as we trekked easterly.

I was concerned about suffering flat tire crossing one valley because of all the thorn bushes.

But for some good fortune we weren't bogged down with any major delays.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:05 AM   #254
jakbrand
93 octane

We rolled into Wendover

late in the afternoon for fuel. After gassing up we headed to Bonneville Salt Flats to set a land speed record. Well, maybe a personal land speed record on a dirt bike with MX tires loaded with camping gear.

I wanted to break into triple digits, but only topped out at 96.9 mph.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:08 AM   #255
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejtv View Post
"hours"? I think days, maybe weeks, which is part of the fun when I'm stuck in Louisiana away from the mountains!
I know how you feel. When we decided to move from Houston to SoCal, I
was asked by a coworker "why?" . When I tried to explain to him that
when I was in the mountains, my visual horizon was continually changing,
as opposed to the coastal plains of the Gulf coast or the piney woods of
E. Texas. He replied that he didn't understand, and his cousin(who was
relocating from Chico, CA to Miami) interjected, "of course you don't understand,
you moved from Cairo to Miami to Houston!"

Mountains Rule. Keep it coming.