Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2013, 08:28 AM   #286
jakbrand
93 octane

Oddometer: 182
A-Rider and I connected with ET about an hour later and the three of us played in the sand until late afternoon on the penultimate day of our tour of the Great Basin.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:46 AM   #287
jakbrand
93 octane

We set up our final camp

in a saddle on Black Mountain with a fine view of Sand Mountain and surrounding dunes.

With all the scorpions lurking around our campsite, I did not take off my boots until I zipped up my tent. I don't know how ET slept a wink with the nasties trying to cuddle with him under an open tarp.

I suppose after eight days in the Great Basin you get comfortable with the desert.

I slept the sleep of the just that night. A-Rider said that a small herd of antelope walked through our campsite before dawn. I didn't hear a thing.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:47 PM   #288
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Oddometer: 1,427
The Long Way Around the Great Salt Lake (Day 9)

Good morning!

Hot chocolate:

On our way out of Little Sahara…

…we made it all legal by paying the $18 per person fee…

…we rode through Cherry Creek area trying to avoid the main roads as we made our way to Vernon for early lunch on our way back to Salt Lake City…A-rider can't resist the steep line up the reservoir…

Lots of trails were left unexplored in Cherry Creek. After lunch, we proceeded in a NE direction toward Provo/Utah Lake over Vernon Hills:

Nice view atop:

Wassatch Range, Timpanogos and other peaks in the background; beyond the valley and before snowy peaks, Fivemile Pass and its ATV riding area, jakbrand's planned grand finale to the week:

The only mechanical of the week, a slow leak on A-rider's front tire. A 25 minutes total stop time, not a record for him, if only because we spent an extra 5 minutes trying to find the puncture. We never did. I learned you pretty much stay out of A-rider's way when he is working on flats. I would be just the opposite. jakbrand checks himself in the mirror while A-rider works:

Taking off after the flat:

From hereon, I didn't take many pictures, just a few low quality pics from my dying helmet cam. I was tired. Really tired.

Here's A-rider climbing up and then down one of the many many hills at Fivemile:

Afternoon break at Fivemile with jerky, nuts and water:

After the break, on the way down in a fairly easy downhill, I had one of those stupid falls that can only be attributed to not concentrating. A cloud of yellow dust the consistency of dry chalk enveloped me and covered absolutely everything. Time to go home. I decided to call it quits and take the main road to the parking area to take a short nap while jakbrand and A-rider continued to explore. An hour later we were all on our way to the next mountain range before hitting Utah Lake.

Navigating this last mountain range was difficult, mostly because we were ready to get home, but we eventually made it to the north, then south then over to the Provo area west of Utah Lake.

We even found some meticulously maintained and designed single track. Thank you whoever you are!

The road through the canyon and over the pass had just opened that week…we were in luck!

Last hurrah, a short climb to the radio antennas on the west side of Utah Lake (jakbrand took better pics):

After these pics, I lost track of jakbrand and A-rider. I took it very easy in the back, but we all met again in SLC at the storage unit after some txting. Oddly enough, I got there first, I cheated, I got annoyed by the stoplights of Redwood which would have taking us straight into the storage unit. I took I-15 instead. Three tired riders ready for the next adventure:

Hotel, showers and dinner at the best Mexican restaurant in the US, I am not exaggerating, The Red Iguana. You know it is good when there is always a line outside. A must if you are ever in SLC for business or pleasure:

Road Reports by ejtv click here

ejtv screwed with this post 05-27-2013 at 01:03 PM
ejtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:24 PM   #289
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

The Long Way Around the Great Salt Lake (Day 10)

It's over. I spent the last day taking care of the bike (well, the good folks at ADS Motorsports in Ogden did--highly recommended shop). New meat, MX meat, no more DOT tires for me

Around 3 PM I left the KTM and most of the gear at the storage unit and was ready to take the train to the airport. There is no way that this set-up in Salt Lake will be beat by any other setup in the US or Canada: a direct flight from New Orleans to SLC, then a $2.50 air conditioned train ride to and from the storage unit to the airport, a great KTM shop and some of the best riding in the country…

Finally, on the flight home, I was treated to a great view of the San Rafael Swell and Moab's Canyonlands. This may be boring to some of you, and I know there are better pictures on the web, for sure, but I have a blast looking at stuff like this, finding the areas we had ridden in the last couple of years. I'm sure many of you have ridden here too. So enjoy!

The plane was flying roughly SE from Provo toward Dallas. The Henry Mountains serve as a point of reference for all these aerial views so you more less can figure out where things are. I located several interesting features to riders.

So here's a view of the Swell looking toward the south:

East of the Swell, you can see the San Rafael Desert and the Reef:

East of the Desert comes the Green River and many of the popular areas around Moab, like portions of the Whit Rim Trail:

And finally, before the clouds took over, I was able to take another picture further east with the Potash Evaporation Ponds, Lockhart Basin, the White Rim Trail, etc. in view:

So that's it! All over too soon! As we make our way north and west to Spokane, we sure are going to miss Utah. We still have one last ride that has been in the works in my mind for over four years, Logan to Soda Springs and beyond to the Tetons to hunt for as much single track as possible. That'll take place in early July. Until then!

ejtv screwed with this post 05-26-2013 at 05:26 PM
Old 05-27-2013, 03:47 AM   #290
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Epic! Thanks for sharing.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:32 PM   #291
jakbrand
93 octane

The Last Day

was intended to be a transition day from Little Sahara to SLC, but we linked together a full day of singletrack, OHV and dirt roads all the way to Provo.

A-Rider, former ISDE competitor representing USA, put on a tire changing clinic on a lonely stretch of desert road to add a tiny bit of drama.

All the adventure seemed to evaporate as soon as we hit pavement in Provo and rolled to SLC.

We will be back in July. Can't wait!

Ride on!
Old 05-27-2013, 01:29 PM   #292
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,547
Great report guys!! Thanks for sharing and good luck on the rest of your trip.
Subscribed!
10Cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #293
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,489
Is it July yet?
Thanks for the great pics and report!
Yeah Jarbidge is an awesome little town.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:15 PM   #294
ukturfrocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
is it july yet? .
agreeded
ukturfrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #295
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,791
Awesome job guys...

...looking forward to your next installment.
Ride on.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:41 AM   #296
jakbrand
93 octane

May was too early

in the high country around Jarbidge (above 7000').

Hopefully the high passes will clear by July.

Thanks for checking in!
Old 05-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #297
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,066
Thanks for pics and report
Old 06-02-2013, 12:05 PM   #298
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
Waiting for the next installment.

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #299
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Plans for July drawn...

Our route in gray: Ogden to Soda Springs to Palisades (west) to Tetons for a hike to Table Mountain to Palisade (east) to Bear Lake to Ogden to Salt Lake City Airport...There is no way we will finish it all, tons and tons of single track, so we read…

jakband, dwip and ejtv to meet in Ogden first Saturday in July and ride for a week…

Old 06-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #300
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote