User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #451
BigShooter
Head Flunky

Oddometer: 115
rodes and trails

what amasing me the most, and makes me extremely jealous, is the awesome amount of backroads and trails available up in the rockies. Or, maybe its just the lack of them here in East Texas. There are some great spots here and there not far from me in Arkansas; but, nothing like up there.
How is the accessibility back around you in Baton Rouge?
BigShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #452
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Oddometer: 1,312
In Baton Rouge I have to be creative……but you can find stuff to ride...

Road Reports by ejtv click here
ejtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:44 PM   #453
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post
Let me preface this by saying, I'm not looking for a debate or argument from anybody. This is hearsay so if anybody has facts I'm open to hearing it. I worked in Utah for many summers for a farmer, many years ago and seem to remember hearing that a lot of the land in Nevada, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, etc... is BLM land that has been leased on 99 year leases, these leases in many cases go on to be leased by subsequent generations to the same families. A condition to the lease was to make some kind of improvement or work the land within 2 years of the lease going into effect (could explain harvesting of sage seed?). This is what results in people claiming that "this is private land" not neccisarily so, still BLM land and probably why you don't see the no trespassing signs and the roads are passable although with gates that are open. You just have to be sure to put them back up and respect the leasees rights. I heard all of this when I was a teenager so again, I'd love to hear the facts.
Any additional imput from somebody that actually knows?

Great RR, thanks for sharing
Maybe someone has already answered this but I thought I better speak up since I talked to the rancher in charge of the ranch where that bridge is about crossing his property.

I am just reading this report so am way behind on the current comments so bear with me if this has already been talked about.

Anyway, I am pretty sure the place they were was actually private land owned by the YP (Petan) Ranch. While I was preparing for our ride in the area in 2012, I talked to the ranch manager to secure his permission to cross his land. He was not really too excited about granting me permission but eventually did. He is often frustrated with rafters who bring their boats in to launch at the YP Ranch Launch Site. While they are guests crossing the ranch, they complain about cattle ranching and that pisses the ranchers off. In fact, one of the last things he told me after giving me permission to cross his land if I had to was to make sure that all the riders in my party were carnivores. He did not want any "whiny vegetarians" on his roads.

A ton of Nevada is controlled by the BLM. The ranchers can get permits to graze on BLM land and part of that permit includes allowing the public to travel over the roads. The permit holders cannot lock the gates on BLM land. They can of course lock the gates on their private ranch land if they want to. Generally the ranchers are pretty cool and the last thing they want is for someone to cut open a fence so most gates are unlocked. Every rancher I talked to was sure to mention that we should leave the gates as we found them.

It always seems to be harder to find a way thru the private land when you get close to a town. I have ridden up to many ranches thinking I was on a public road only to find out I was on private land. Just be cool. Most of the ranchers think this whole motorcycle camping exploring thing is pretty cool.

If you are planning to go out in the desert, try to figure out if you are going to be crossing private land and ask permission beforehand. Every ranch I talked to gave me permission to cross their land. It is not too hard to find their phone numbers with a quick Google search.
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:27 AM   #454
Kayakkawakid
USPS

Oddometer: 27
Inspiration

Thanks edgardo and compadres, due to your ride report updates, I can also say I've been inspired, I've now bought a klx 400 sr and been slowly getting her ready and hopefully by the end of this month will finally embark in our first adventure at big bend state park with other like minded fools, thou for only a few days and no where the single track adv you guys have been doing but I'm trying to live the dream as much as possible with work and family limitations. So I toast to your inspiration that was instilled in me.... keep riding....
Old 05-07-2014, 05:23 PM   #455
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

July 2014 Spokane to Portland preparations

In search of single track, the route from Spokane to Portland will take us north and then west through Colville National Forest then south through the Okanogan National Forest and the Gifford Pinchot National Forest. Maps are showing lots of good stuff.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:09 AM   #456
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Talking WashMX 2014 Day 1 Part 1

Here's the actual route:

The idea was to plan the route and timing from Spokane to Portland to coincide with Washougal National Motocross race near Portland, Oregon. We would ride the Colville, Okanogan, Wenatche, and Gifford Pinchot National Forests as we made our way to Washougal. Everything, well, most of it, worked as planned and we were able to spend a day watching MX. I had never been to a live outdoor pro MX event, so it was a treat to see these pros ride, hear the engines and smell the race fuel exhaust. We would also be visiting A-rider's grandparents farm near Washougal, the place where he learned to ride as a kid. A real treat for him and all of us. The raging fires in northern Washington required reroutes, but overall, we were able to ride through great single track, ATV and Jeep roads most of the time. A few sections of slab were necessary to connect all of it.

In this trip, in addition to the usual suspects, dwip, A-rider, jakbrand and this writer, we had an invited guest, neff142, with lots of local knowledge and technical ability, both critical for this leg of the trip.

This was the most physically demanding and technically challenging of all of our moto trips so far…many times we were down trails that there was no way I could see how we could possibly backtrack…. Many times a couple of us thought, "this is the last time I ride single track" or "my next bike will be a Harley" or "when are we getting out of this mess and ride pavement?"

Arriving at storage unit in Spokane:

We all had to do minor repairs, put new tires on, install new air filters, change oil, charge batteries, etc. These are always anxious moments, at least for me, not sure why, getting all the gear together, going over mental lists to make sure nothing is left out, etc.

The real reason we do these rides, the decals…

here a-rider distributes the WashMX 2014 decal…

...the proud recipient is neff142...

...we all display them in a prominent spot...

Last meal at hotel in Spokane before heading out…neff, a-rider, jakband and this writer. dwipp was at FedEx sending a box of odds and ends to our destination in Portland and another one to Florida.

We had three free breakfasts and four mouths to feed, so jakbrand devised a contest to see who would pay the one meal…guessing the total amount of the bill…and he lost...

Filling up my gas tank, you never know what you can find at gas stations…

Leaving the storage unit in Spokane for good…

ejtv screwed with this post 08-02-2014 at 05:28 AM
Old 07-29-2014, 06:50 PM   #457
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 819
Back on the trail

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:42 PM   #458
toolguy1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Following along intently..........
toolguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:24 PM   #459
NEFF142
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I had to make a forum deal just to make sure there's not too much bashing about my eating habits, poor camping skills, lack of preparedness, the hammock, and of course anything that may or may not have happened at the radar dome. your pics look great so far Ed!
NEFF142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:37 PM   #460
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
Great to see this thread come up on the radar! Let the single-track begin.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:30 AM   #461
jakbrand
93 octane

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFF142 View Post
I had to make a forum deal just to make sure there's not too much bashing about my eating habits, poor camping skills, lack of preparedness, the hammock, and of course anything that may or may not have happened at the radar dome. your pics look great so far Ed!

Neff,
When you showed up without a tent, spare tubes, body armor and other camp essentials I doubted you would complete the tour.
Forgive me for underestimating.
In fact, I am eternally grateful for hauling my sorry butt out of the woods on Day 4. You proved the wilderness credo, "save yourself and one other person."

Old 08-01-2014, 06:59 AM   #462
jakbrand
93 octane

WASH-MX is Ready to Roll

From left to right Dwip, ET, Neff, A-Rider and jakbrand on Day 1 shortly after vacating winter storage in Spokane.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:12 AM   #463
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

WashMX 2014 Day 1 Part 2

Like jakbrand, I have to admit that when neff142 showed up with an overstuffed backpack, no protection, no tubes, boots with broken buckles, a t-shirt, gloves that were ripped, no camping gear, no camelback and an old plastic canteen--granted, he rode a great bike, KTM 500 EXC--I thought, this guy is either a) really good or b) a joke.

To confirm either option, the route prepared by a-rider with lots of input from local contacts, had us going north from Spokane storage unit to Riverside State Park to warm up our legs at the ORV park. Here, neff142 proceeded to dispel all doubts about his ability by practically giving us a riding clinic. Most of us just stopped riding for a while just to watch him. I think jakbrand has a few pics of his antics.

We also had a chance to watch the festivities in the park. There must have been about a thousand runners playing in the mud:

A few miles later a-rider discovered a major leak on his moto which required adding a lot of extra oil and eventually an attempt to locate the source of the leak, which seemed to have been the o-rings or a pebble lodge in his engine block…

a-rider and neff142 got to work on the issue…

the culprit?

neff142 celebrates and shows-off his trials skills soon after at a rest stop:

re-supplying before finding more dirt:

After some pavement, the first signs of single-track heading NW in the Colville NF, west of the town of Cusik, WA, toward Boulder Mountain and Olsen Peak:

jakbrand navigates a difficult ledge:

I took my bike about half way up the ledge and then neff142 rode it the rest of the way up:

This ended up being the start of a theme during the week: very difficult sections for my ability I would try first but if not successful, I would turn over my bike to neff142 so he could finish the job.

ejtv screwed with this post 08-02-2014 at 05:30 AM
Old 08-01-2014, 12:01 PM   #464
A-rider
FTR current NMA past

Oddometer: 19
I would like to give a big thanks to Darren Williams for sending me some great .GPX files. They were a great help.
A-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:16 PM   #465
jakbrand
93 octane

Riverside State Park (aka 7-Mile OHV)

Ten miles north of Spokane we ventured into the first off-road section at Riverside State Park (aka 7-Mile OHV area) for an equipment shake down. Our motos sitting in storage for ten months can become infested with gremlins without any outward signs of infection. A-Rider ferreted out a nasty engine gremlin at Riverside SP.

The 600 acre OVH park is open to just about any type of vehicle and is heavily used. The terrain provides hill climbs, sand wash, mud bog and short trails through the forest. IMHO, motorcyclists should ride with extreme caution to avoid getting pancaked by a jeep or trophy truck.