User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #451
BigShooter
Head Flunky

Oddometer: 115
rodes and trails

what amasing me the most, and makes me extremely jealous, is the awesome amount of backroads and trails available up in the rockies. Or, maybe its just the lack of them here in East Texas. There are some great spots here and there not far from me in Arkansas; but, nothing like up there.
How is the accessibility back around you in Baton Rouge?
BigShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #452
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Oddometer: 1,202
In Baton Rouge I have to be creative……but you can find stuff to ride...

Road Reports by ejtv click here
ejtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:44 PM   #453
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post
Let me preface this by saying, I'm not looking for a debate or argument from anybody. This is hearsay so if anybody has facts I'm open to hearing it. I worked in Utah for many summers for a farmer, many years ago and seem to remember hearing that a lot of the land in Nevada, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, etc... is BLM land that has been leased on 99 year leases, these leases in many cases go on to be leased by subsequent generations to the same families. A condition to the lease was to make some kind of improvement or work the land within 2 years of the lease going into effect (could explain harvesting of sage seed?). This is what results in people claiming that "this is private land" not neccisarily so, still BLM land and probably why you don't see the no trespassing signs and the roads are passable although with gates that are open. You just have to be sure to put them back up and respect the leasees rights. I heard all of this when I was a teenager so again, I'd love to hear the facts.
Any additional imput from somebody that actually knows?

Great RR, thanks for sharing
Maybe someone has already answered this but I thought I better speak up since I talked to the rancher in charge of the ranch where that bridge is about crossing his property.

I am just reading this report so am way behind on the current comments so bear with me if this has already been talked about.

Anyway, I am pretty sure the place they were was actually private land owned by the YP (Petan) Ranch. While I was preparing for our ride in the area in 2012, I talked to the ranch manager to secure his permission to cross his land. He was not really too excited about granting me permission but eventually did. He is often frustrated with rafters who bring their boats in to launch at the YP Ranch Launch Site. While they are guests crossing the ranch, they complain about cattle ranching and that pisses the ranchers off. In fact, one of the last things he told me after giving me permission to cross his land if I had to was to make sure that all the riders in my party were carnivores. He did not want any "whiny vegetarians" on his roads.

A ton of Nevada is controlled by the BLM. The ranchers can get permits to graze on BLM land and part of that permit includes allowing the public to travel over the roads. The permit holders cannot lock the gates on BLM land. They can of course lock the gates on their private ranch land if they want to. Generally the ranchers are pretty cool and the last thing they want is for someone to cut open a fence so most gates are unlocked. Every rancher I talked to was sure to mention that we should leave the gates as we found them.

It always seems to be harder to find a way thru the private land when you get close to a town. I have ridden up to many ranches thinking I was on a public road only to find out I was on private land. Just be cool. Most of the ranchers think this whole motorcycle camping exploring thing is pretty cool.

If you are planning to go out in the desert, try to figure out if you are going to be crossing private land and ask permission beforehand. Every ranch I talked to gave me permission to cross their land. It is not too hard to find their phone numbers with a quick Google search.
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:27 AM   #454
Kayakkawakid
USPS

Oddometer: 27
Inspiration

Thanks edgardo and compadres, due to your ride report updates, I can also say I've been inspired, I've now bought a klx 400 sr and been slowly getting her ready and hopefully by the end of this month will finally embark in our first adventure at big bend state park with other like minded fools, thou for only a few days and no where the single track adv you guys have been doing but I'm trying to live the dream as much as possible with work and family limitations. So I toast to your inspiration that was instilled in me.... keep riding....
Old 05-07-2014, 05:23 PM   #455
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Oddometer: 1,202
July 2014 Spokane to Portland preparations

In search of single track, the route from Spokane to Portland will take us north and then west through Colville National Forest then south through the Okanogan National Forest and the Gifford Pinchot National Forest. Maps are showing lots of good stuff.

Road Reports by ejtv click here
ejtv is offline   Reply With Quote